PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous C258 Change Drum Units message with 30% life remaining

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

looper
01-23-2020, 03:30 PM
Hello everybody,

I have a weird problem with my C258, a few days ago i got the message to replace K drum unit, so before ordering i checked all of them to see the remaining life and i decided to place an order for all four of them with my local KM distributor.

Today, i replaced it and the message was gone, but it still wouldn't print anything, so i did a power on/off. After booting up, it started to display messages for the remaining three CMY drum units, to change them, while in same time the consumables menu showing all three of them with over 30% life remaining and the K one with a full 100% bar.

I tried powering on/off again, pull it from the outlet, but nothing changes, the message appears every time. All i can do is bw copies.

My local KM technician its not available until next week and all he suggested was to power on/off the unit...

Machine install date: 05.04.2018, used only oem toners.

44710 44711

Bix
01-23-2020, 03:33 PM
Toner is OEM but is the drum OEM? There appears to be an old chip already initialized or the chip is not original.

looper
01-23-2020, 03:44 PM
All four drums are oem, paid over 1000E for them. We only use oem parts.

tsbservice
01-23-2020, 04:07 PM
If you replace all 4 machine start date for drums should be the day you replaced them. I don't see so.
The machine isn't recognized new drums for some reason. Why would you want to change expensive color drums with over 30% life remaining?

looper
01-23-2020, 04:17 PM
I guess my exprimation was ambiguous. I bought all four to have them on hand, when I saw the remaining life of the colored ones, but I only changed the K black one.

I only got a message for the K black one, and after changing it and reboot the machine, a message popped up saying I have to also replace the remaining three colored ones.

Now in the machine I have a new black one and the original CMY ones.

Bix
01-23-2020, 04:34 PM
ok now it's clearer. So your question is why the MFP asks you to replace the drums when they are actually still at 30%, right? If the MFP is not blocked, just ignore the messages.

Show us the counters, so we can advise you better.

looper
01-23-2020, 05:08 PM
Yep, that's the question! Keep in mind that the message to replace all three CMY drums appeared only after I changed the K one (for which I had received the initial warning).

Also, I can only use it to copy bw pages and scan to smb, it doesn't print at all and the printing job its not even listed when I try a test page, although the message displayed states I can use it for bw printing.

44712 44713 44714

tech51
01-23-2020, 05:25 PM
What firmware version is it on?

I had a C458 today which would only allow black and white printing and updating the firmware cleared the message, mind you most of the consumables were over life.

Also the life stop and unit change warning settings need to be disabled.

A picture of the warning on the panel would help.

Sounds like you will need the technician to visit.

looper
01-23-2020, 05:57 PM
Where can I see the firmware version?, I'm not in the office right now and I only have web acces to the printer via VPN.

I also realized that I don't have a photo of the message, but it says that something like "Replace Drum Unit. Y M C Drum Unit needs to be replaced. Start Guidance"

tsbservice
01-23-2020, 06:00 PM
Go to machine panel and print from Utility tab Consumables life list or if it cannot be printed take a picture and post here.

looper
01-23-2020, 06:12 PM
I printed the consumables list before leaving, hope it's the right one.

tsbservice
01-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Your CMY drums rotation time just got past life stop count. Replace CMY drums as they are over life or if you want to use them over life, life stop settings should be changed to nonstop.

looper
01-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Do you recommend using them in this way? Also, how can I set them to nonstop, from the service menu?

I would like to get a couple of months from them, because the printing is great and it never showed any lines on the paper.

Its pretty confusing why in the printer Consumables menu they show over 30% life and this rotation thing is keeping them blocked.

tsbservice
01-23-2020, 08:22 PM
I think your machine may have FW bug that prevent it to show correct replacement dates. Ideally I would recommend calling certified tech to deal with this bug by doing FW update and make needed settings in SM to enhance drum life past stop values.

P.S.
As I like your replying to our questions I may go further in PM with Contributor to this site even being educated enduser.

P.S.2
Free hint.
It's good for print quality if you do Gradations from Admin mode after replacing any image responsible parts like drum unit etc.

looper
01-23-2020, 09:22 PM
Thank you.

I hope my tehnician will know what to do and be available, we already lost 3 days to this issue and is getting hard to get things done in the office without a color printer.

I would've liked to solve it myself during this weekend and have it ready to work on Monday morning.

When doing a firmware update, does the machine preserve the settings, user accounts and all that?

Is there any way I can get my hands on the required firmware?, I can't find a link for it on the Konica support page.

copier tech
01-23-2020, 09:29 PM

There’s a few strange issues here.

You replaced the black image unit but the start date shows it was replaced back in 2018 yet the date & time on the top of your print out are correct!?

Your colour drums show expected life until 2021 so they should be OK & not prompted to be replaced.

The back developer & fuser units have a page count of 0 did you also replace both these items?

But the weird issue is your TOTAL counter is ZERO AND Serial number are missing from this print out!?

Looking at all these issues I would try updating the firmware looks like the machine is somehow become corrupted.

srvctec
01-23-2020, 09:32 PM
Thank you.

I hope my tehnician will know what to do and be available, we already lost 3 days to this issue and is getting hard to get things done in the office without a color printer.

I would've liked to solve it myself during this weekend and have it ready to work on Monday morning.

When doing a firmware update, does the machine preserve the settings, user accounts and all that?

Is there any way I can get my hands on the required firmware?, I can't find a link for it on the Konica support page.

You can't find the F/W because it's ONLY for authorized, TRAINED service technicians to install. PERIOD.

looper
01-24-2020, 07:41 AM
@copier tech: No, I only changed the K drum unit yesterday and last week, the WTB, all of them being oem parts.

@srvctec: I meant no disrespect, I didn't really know how close Konica keeps its firmware, but isn't this the purpose of a tech forum, to help those in need, so others can know what to do when push comes to tech!?

I'll wait for the tehnician then to see what he can do, but I have my reservations, being that his only solution was to power cycle the unit.

I appreciate you guys taking the time to help and provide some insight, I always like to try and solve things by myself, but I also know when to give up and call for help (this is what I'm doing here).

Thanks for everything and I'll keep you posted after my tehnician comes.

P.S. If anyone is willing to share, I'll be available non stop for testing the unit right away.

looper
01-29-2020, 10:47 AM
Hello again,

The technician keeps delaying me from one day to another, because as i suspected, he doesn't know what to do to it, so right now i don't know what to do anymore.

Please help me find a way to fix it, i refuse to think that this is its end, i'm next to it, available to try anything!

Thank you.

P.S. It doesn't even print black/white, just displays a small message "Stop Printing".

Bix
01-29-2020, 11:14 AM
An idea would be:
1. disable the drum replacement alerts.
2. disable block C258 when the drums end (valid only if there are no alerts).
3. Instead of buying other drums, you could try buying the chips and replacing them

If your place is Rome, I found this for Italy: https://www.ebay.it/itm/MINOLTA-BIZHUB-C-258-N-4-CHIP-RESET-TAMBURO-DRUM-KIT-C-M-Y-K-DR313-COD-19304/182513718546 (https://www.ebay.it/itm/MINOLTA-BIZHUB-C-258-N-4-CHIP-RESET-TAMBURO-DRUM-KIT-C-M-Y-K-DR313-COD-19304/182513718546?hash=item2a7eaa5512:g:O-EAAOSwc-tY4iDR)

The chip is located under the drum. Or from china: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Drum-Chip-Minolta-Bizhub-C224-C364-C284-C454-C554-C258-C368-C287-C367-C227/173433779726 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Drum-Chip-Minolta-Bizhub-C224-C364-C284-C454-C554-C258-C368-C287-C367-C227/173433779726?hash=item286175760e:g:0rEAAOSwsW9Y0lE 7)

copier tech
01-29-2020, 11:27 AM
Hello again,

The technician keeps delaying me from one day to another, because as i suspected, he doesn't know what to do to it, so right now i don't know what to do anymore.

Please help me find a way to fix it, i refuse to think that this is its end, i'm next to it, available to try anything!

Thank you.

P.S. It doesn't even print black/white, just displays a small message "Stop Printing".

This is a simple fix from CE mode you can disable this warning & enable colour printing.

This is explained in the service manual.

looper
01-29-2020, 11:30 AM
I tried to disable the error from Service Mode, but it still doesn't print, just displays "Stop Printing".

Only thing it prints, its the consumables list.

copier tech
01-29-2020, 12:16 PM
I tried to disable the error from Service Mode, but it still doesn't print, just displays "Stop Printing".

Only thing it prints, its the consumables list.

What exactly did you do in CE mode?

You need to change the life stop settings.

looper
01-29-2020, 01:18 PM
I used the EnhancedSecurity menu to turn off all Life Stop options.

The technician finally arrived, did a factory reset and left, without testing the printing function. Now i'm redoing all the Acct. Track settings and will test it asap.

A new message is now being displayed "No animation guide available, contact your technician" or something like that and the left orange led keeps blinking, he said is no problem and left...

I'll finish the settings and let you know how it goes.

tsbservice
01-29-2020, 03:02 PM

The technician finally arrived, did a factory reset and left, without testing the printing function. Now i'm redoing all the Acct. Track settings and will test it asap.

A new message is now being displayed "No animation guide available, contact your technician" or something like that and the left orange led keeps blinking, he said is no problem and left...

You need to install Movie data but that's not fatal machine should work.

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 03:35 PM

You didn't pay this clown did you?
That's horseshit.

Phil B.
01-29-2020, 03:51 PM
You didn't pay this clown did you?
That's horseshit.

+1

I'd be up his bosses caboose until I had a competent tech out there and TOTALLY fixed and tested each function!

and if no resolve there, document everything and report dealership to KM corp. see how faast they get it fixed then!

I might ding their BBB rating if they were pissy to me .

looper
01-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah, I paid him for his "intervention"... because i thought this will finally fix it and wanted to get it done, but no such luck.

Now i can scan to smb and color copies, so something is working, but the most important part, the printing, this is still dead with the same symptoms (print job sent from Windows, but doesn't reach the printer, it doesn't even show in the printer's Job list, no signs of life.)

This is the firmware info, got it from the web page, which works great.

MFP Card Version
A7PU0Y0-F000-G00-S1

MFP Controller BOOT Program
A7PU0Y0-1E00-G00-06

MFP Controller Linux Base
Linux-3.10.40

MFP Controller Kernel Program
A7PU0Y0-1C00-G00-D2

MFP Controller SubSet
A7PU0Y0-1F00-G00-R1

MFP Controller
A7PU0Y0-0100-G00-S1

MFP Controller System
A7PU0Y0-1000-G00-S1

MFP Controller Print Controller

MFP Controller Print Controller Font

MFP Controller Print Controller Demo Page
A7PU0Y0-3E00-G00-00

Image Reader Controller
A7PU0Y0-8600-G00-D1

MFP Controller MIO
A7PU0Y0-5000-G02-B7

Operation Panel Message Data
A7PU0Y0-8100-G00-R4

MFP Controller PIC
A7PU0Y0-8200-G00-F0

MFP Controller PIC Image Parameter
A7PU0Y0-8A01-G00-02

MFP Controller Thread Image Parameter
A7PU0Y0-8B01-G00-03

MFP Controller IR Image Parameter
A7PU0Y0-8C01-G00-15

Finisher

Machine Controller
A7PU0Y0-0200-G00-36

Machine Controller BOOT
A7PU0Y0-0210-G00-01

Machine Controller Printer
A7PU0Y0-0220-G00-31

Machine Controller Media
A7PU0Y0-0230-G00-03

Machine Controller IO
A7PU0Y0-0240-G00-00

Machine Controller Scanner
A7PU0Y0-0300-G00-08

ADF
A87R0Y0-0024-G00-35

Fax Board Controller1

Fax Board Controller2

Fax Board Controller3

Fax Board Controller4

SD

DSC1

DSC2

Panel CPU
A7PU0Y0-8900-G30-04

SCB
A7AH0Y0-1A00-G00-05

Power Sub-CPU
A7AH0Y0-1900-G00-81

SATA Controller
A7AH0Y0-6403-G00-04

Integrated Printer Driver Version
5-4.1b-0-G00-11

Movie Data

Voice Data

Dictionary Data

OCR Library

Authentication Customize Data

Panel Sound Data
A7PU0Y0-C200-G00-00

Loadable Device Driver1

Loadable Device Driver2

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 04:17 PM
Do you have a fiery print controller attached to the machine?

Bix
01-29-2020, 05:04 PM
Ma a parte la stampa da PC, ora puoi usare la stampante come copiatrice?

Gaffers01
01-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Check that you are printing to the correct ipaddress, if the :confused:"engineer":confused: initialised the machine it may of reset the network settings.

looper
01-29-2020, 05:19 PM
@Synthohol: no, nothing extra attached to it, just the unit and the bottom part with wheels, which I found out the hard way that it's S separate part.

@Bix: yes, copy works great, even color. Printing is dead, tried different os, different driver versions, nothing is displayed on the printer.

@Gaffers01: the ip is correct, the web interface and driver settings can be accessed with no issues.

Something is definitely messed up inside, but until I get my hands on a firmware to try it, I have no choice but to keep winning to Konica and hope they will send someone more competent (which I highly doubt it).

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 05:20 PM
Ma a parte la stampa da PC, ora puoi usare la stampante come copiatrice?

(Translated) But apart from PC printing, can you now use the printer as a copier?

Next question, hit menu, utility and device information.
What IP address is shown? If it starts with 169 then usually dhcp on the router/server is off and you have to manually enter IP subnet gateway and dns.

looper
01-29-2020, 05:29 PM
192.168.14.206, I set it manually so I don't get any dhcp duplicate ip issues.

I have another three 4752s with same range static ips that work ok.

Gaffers01
01-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Can you print through the Web Connection using the Direct Print tab?

looper
01-29-2020, 05:45 PM
I haven't tried this and I'm not in office anymore today, but I tried printing from my mobile phone, using KM Mobile Print app and same issue.

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 05:45 PM
Or at the very least open the copiers Web page

looper
01-29-2020, 05:51 PM
Yep, web page works well, from here I changed the IP.

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 06:13 PM
Ok. Any consumables over life?
If you don't have that option in utility, change bit switch 227 to hex 00 and hit fix.
Then go back to utility and look again for #5 check consumable life.

CompyTech
01-29-2020, 06:17 PM
Go to job list and check the history and if it was deleted what do the error details say?

Also try this, go to User Settings, Printer Settings, Print Reports and print the Demo Page.

Sounds like you're dealing with a mess. Good luck

looper
01-29-2020, 06:20 PM
44760 44761

@CompyTech: no job is displayed, nothing is show regarding printing, just copy and scan, the print jobs don't even appear.

And yes, if I print something from the service menu or reports from printer, it works.

CompyTech
01-29-2020, 06:36 PM
If you can print reports sounds like it's network related. If you print something to it, do you see the blue data light on the front panel flash? If not then the print job is probably not reaching the machine. Check the print job queue on the PC see if it's stuck.

I think factory reset aka All Data Clear was the right call. Just sounds like the tech didn't do it correctly. Definitely not how most of us here would of handled it.

looper
01-29-2020, 06:46 PM
No, the blue lights don't do anything, the printer just stays quiet.

But I tried different pcs with Win 7 and Win 10 with different driver versions. I did a clean driver install on a laptop that wasn't in my network until today.

Don't know what else to try.

CompyTech
01-29-2020, 07:05 PM
You mentioned account track. Presume you entered the account track information in the print properties of the driver?

Also if your laptop has an ethernet port, you could direct connect to the copier with network cable and configure laptop TCP/IP settings to match the scheme of the copier and try to print to it that way.

copier tech
01-29-2020, 07:12 PM

Where did you find this "engineer" sounds like he's formatted your HDD that was totally unnecessary.

You now need to install the movie animation file (machine will work fine without however)

You said you were redoing the account track settings? turn this off & start with the basics get a print job out first before you turn on any authentication etc.

The fact you can see the machine webpage it can only be a driver or account track issue.

looper
01-29-2020, 07:44 PM
@CompyTech: Yes, the account track settings are set on the driver settings and I also enabled "Print without authentication" for guest devices.

@copier tech: I have about 20 pcs connected to this unit, each with its own password, so I just wanted to redo the account track so people start using it right away (the driver is set to remember the password and not to display the authentication window), this is why I jumped to do this.

But I also enabled print without authentication, which worked great for me before this Drum Unit and Factory reset (as he called it) mess. I could print from my phone with no password entered...

I will try tomorrow to use a network cable to connect straight to it, as CompyTech suggests and see how it goes.

Can someone please help me with the animation file and maybe a firmware, so I can be prepared for tomorrow, because I hate that message and led blinking continuously telling me that no animation is available.

Synthohol
01-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Pm sent ;)

copier tech
01-29-2020, 09:03 PM

Is your main counter still on zero & the serial number missing!?

tsbservice
01-29-2020, 09:57 PM
Is your main counter still on zero & the serial number missing!?

Agree, big mess here no way TC get lost and no serial without some interesting interventions. Maybe we miss some previous actions, board change or so.
Anyway author you have big force behind you right now, CTN community. Just don't rush and don't do any unnecessary steps.
Check in CE mode that HDD is enabled. Next go and export MML lists to Flash drive then you can send us S1 file to check soft switches.

looper
01-30-2020, 09:48 AM
Hello,

I tested and tried all your suggestions, here it goes:

- Direct Print from the web interface its not working, same symptoms, nothing reaches the printer, no blue leds
- Disabled Account Track, no luck, same symptoms
- HDD is enabled in CE mode
- After enabling Administrator Level 2 access from CE, the serial is now printed
- Printed MML from CE mode, tried to write to usb, but all i get is an empty file (fat32 formated stick), so here's the link to the scanned file

https://mega.nz/#!b581WSwK!uufeEkDN8n5uMm-SrI9OxeSnPkJHTnwc9n-2WLamoCE

I wont do anything to it until you guys advise me to do it, so ill wait patiently for your input.

Thank you all for taking time to help me, is very much appreciated!

LE:
Nothing was changed in this unit before this K drum unit, like hdd, boards or stuff like that, just toner cartridges and wtb (all of them oem)

LLE:
Connected to the unit directly with a brand new, tested network cable = same symptoms, nothing printed, no job log and no blue leds. I also tried Direct Print from the web interface, same stuff.

Custom Search