PDA

View Full Version : CQ Bizhub 458e bad drums after 80K prints

Custom Search

Zesti
02-07-2020, 01:17 PM
HI guys,
Received a call from a remote site a educational institute with 2 48e's with same problems. The drum cleaning seems gone bad after about 80K prints on both machines. The condition of drums was too bad like paper dust and toner was stuck on both drums. The charging rollers were also not in good shape. I was curious about same problem on both of the machine installed in the same building on different floors.
The dealer ship has given a very heavy quote for the replacement of the drum units like 1200$ each. The customer approached me and I though of the situation and decied to put compatible drums initially to check how machines behave. During installation I tried to clean the charging roller that were seeming severely worn out, only 80k prints.
After putting back everything, I tried make a counter print out, half of the print was like new and half had developer coming on it with background. I inspected again for any error but all seems good. Further prints were deteriorated as if total failure of charging roller.
The machines are coming to my workshop. Any idea about charging roller failure in xx8 series as these are new in KonicaMinolta?

Phil B.
02-07-2020, 01:32 PM
HI guys,
Received a call from a remote site a educational institute with 2 48e's with same problems. The drum cleaning seems gone bad after about 80K prints on both machines. The condition of drums was too bad like paper dust and toner was stuck on both drums. The charging rollers were also not in good shape. I was curious about same problem on both of the machine installed in the same building on different floors.
The dealer ship has given a very heavy quote for the replacement of the drum units like 1200$ each. The customer approached me and I though of the situation and decied to put compatible drums initially to check how machines behave. During installation I tried to clean the charging roller that were seeming severely worn out, only 80k prints.
After putting back everything, I tried make a counter print out, half of the print was like new and half had developer coming on it with background. I inspected again for any error but all seems good. Further prints were deteriorated as if total failure of charging roller.
The machines are coming to my workshop. Any idea about charging roller failure in xx8 series as these are new in KonicaMinolta?

try removing PCR's.. coat with Nu Finish car polish let dry ... buff it off inspect roller if still contaminated repeat procedure.. if there are bumps or tears.. replace.. I have been using this trick since the HP SX days.. works on mono and color PCR's .. also IMHO make the print sharper an a bit darker.

be sure to run any drum adjustments like you would for a new unit.

Nu Finish | Car Care (https://www.nufinish.com/)

Phil B.
02-07-2020, 01:33 PM
HI guys,

try removing PCR's.. coat with Nu Finish car polish let dry ... buff it off inspect roller if still contaminated repeat procedure.. if there are bumps or tears.. replace.. I have been using this trick since the HP SX days.. works on mono and color PCR's .. also IMHO make the print sharper an a bit darker.

be sure to run any drum adjustments like you would for a new unit.

Nu Finish | Car Care (https://www.nufinish.com/)

jwai
02-07-2020, 04:00 PM
HI guys,

It's common on 8 series and i series.

Gaffers01
02-07-2020, 04:20 PM
How many prints has the machine done in total inc consumable lifes?
Could be that as much as you think its the drum causing the original issue it could be the developer failing and also could be the ITB, ive found that replacing the itb on these range of machines makes a massive amount of difference compared to older models.

Did you just replace the Drum? or the drum unit?
if it was just the drum sound like you havent put the spacer at the front of the drum in correctly.
Also ive found that if i replace just the drum you need to rechip the unit aswell to get the best copy out of it, no amount of adjustments get it upto the same as a rechip.

I have a customer that is doing 120k a month on two C458's, so i have spent alot of time trying too get the best out of the machine and the consumables.

tsbservice
02-07-2020, 04:20 PM
Zesti, you're not the only one having issues with those machines(8e). As I read they have issues with Fusers also.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/141388-8e-versus-8-series-drums.html?141388=#post798227

Woxner
02-07-2020, 05:47 PM
458e and 458 take different drums. the 458 will work in the e series but wont last as long. make sure you ck the voltage in the table tab to see that its above 1300 volts. at 1300 the drum surface is thin. normally set up around 1700 to 2400, does seem like some last less then rated. the days of 150% to 200$ life are gone.1200 is way too much money. retail is 300

tsbservice
02-07-2020, 06:12 PM
Hey Woxner, how on Earth you didn't get MUCH more reputation ;)
I bet you're way knowledgeable than most of us.

copier tech
02-07-2020, 10:02 PM
HI guys,

I see KM have released a "longer Life" image unit.

Have any of you guys had a chance to test these? I suspect the long life element is simply the chip count for the consumable life count.

tech51
02-08-2020, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=copier tech;1260650]I see KM have released a "longer Life" image unit.

Have any of you guys had a chance to test these? I suspect the long life element is simply the chip count for the consumable life count.

44845[/QUOTE

There is improved cleaning for the charge roller that’s it really.

They do last a bit longer than the standard drum but they cost more so it’s a judgement call.

I fit them on higher volume customers machines as I think that’s where the best improvements in life are found.

jwai
02-08-2020, 03:01 PM
I see KM have released a "longer Life" image unit.

What effect will be occurred if this LL drum unit is used without the specific F/W version?

tsbservice
02-08-2020, 03:23 PM
What effect will be occurred if this LL drum unit is used without the specific F/W version?
"Drum Unit Detection Error" will appear.

Custom Search