PDA

View Full Version : Damaged drums in transport?

Custom Search

Toxic
02-12-2020, 02:15 PM
Last week i pull out 3 drum units from working C220,wrap drums with few A3 sheets,put them in the car,went about 50km,install in another C220 and got horrific test prints.
All CMY 3 drums makes very bad markings.
Still trying to figure out what happened to them.
Somebody have some ideas?

https://i.postimg.cc/G4kx0Qty/IMG-b8f22ebbf4a5c023cc35306a2114b51b-V.jpg (https://postimg.cc/G4kx0Qty)

Synthohol
02-12-2020, 02:26 PM
What did the print look like before you replaced them?

tsbservice
02-12-2020, 03:07 PM
Could be due cold and damp season, I guess.

Toxic
02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Look very good before removing from machine, bird test print was ok,not tested some full color print.
It past just about half hour betwean removing from one to other machine,room temperature about 23 celisius both location, did not measure humudity :)

Bix
02-12-2020, 03:16 PM
Hi, it is best to keep them without temperature changes. You also don't know what may have happened during transportation.

A 150km distant customer calls me for bad copies and I'm sure it's the drum. I went on this long journey and the drum I had inserted was new and I had not yet opened it. It was still with the seals of Konica Minolta. It printed worse than before, all black. By pulling out the drum I discovered that some charge hook had broken inside.

Now, I don't know if it was any hole in my road path that created any problems with the drum... maybe it could also have been a factory defect.

tsbservice
02-12-2020, 03:37 PM
Can't be damaged in transportation, I'm sure.
Did you try to run Stabilization etc? Both machines should have different life counters also voltages.
I'm almost sure if you leave them long enough in the machine they can perform better.

Synthohol
02-12-2020, 05:10 PM
I meant in the recipient machine not the donor.

Toxic
02-12-2020, 05:53 PM
@tsbservice i did not damage them physically for sure, i just put them on co-driver seat and grab it when arrive there.
I inspect all 3 visually and no obvious damage on drum surface.
Did not run any stabilization when see that much bad print, there is no software i think what can resolve bad image like that. :)
And you are right,after some prints it gets less better but still not usable.

@Synthohol
Recipient machine before this has few slightly darker lines in CMY colors (i assume dirty charge grids).
After all i must return his original drums because they was better quality compare to this unusable image quality.

@Bix
I still never have problem with new drum unit,it is very well packed and very little chance to get damage something inside even if you drop the box on the floor.
It must be factory fault.
I always laugh when see transfer belt package, smaller box inside larger box with styrofoam between like it is going to be dropped from airplane. :)
But KM are not dumb to do that without reason.

tsbservice
02-12-2020, 07:40 PM
Interesting. Toxic, I will put drums back in donor machine as soon as I can get my hands on it.
If I was in your shoes I just will refuse to accept that 3 working drums can be faulty.

Toxic
02-12-2020, 09:28 PM
I am in some kind of rush these days and dont have time to play with that but i will try that.
Let me be honest,that drums were over life anyway but i am just curious what hapened in that case to prevent future problems when handling OPC without original package.
I think same thing will happened if drums were new just without original package.
I was thinking about that day and it could be 2 reasons maybe.
First one is,drums were on front seat in the car and it was sunny day, although they were covered with white paper, the sun's rays may have broken through to drum surface.
That could explain same damage pattern on all drums.
Second reason could be when i came there i did not unwrap protective paper but i pull it from drum and it makes contact with drum surface.
Maybe that moving paper over drum surface make some charge along drum length.

Woxner
02-13-2020, 12:35 AM
should have rapped then in dark drum cloth. paper is not a good light blocker esp in a car with bright light. but over due drums will have way different voltages.

blackcat4866
02-13-2020, 01:06 AM
If it were light shock you would be missing image of that specific color. Interestingly, sometimes light shock can be recovered from with a hundred or so image cycles.

I've seen temperature changes cause smears and streaks, from condensation on the drum(s) or mirrors. Most common after a delivery machine sits in the cold truck overnight, then gets dragged into a warm room and immediate fired up. The rule on such things is you should allow an equal amount of time for the machine to acclimate.

For transportation I have a black plastic bag (once held a drum unit). It lets very little light in.

I seem to recall removing a new Selerium Tellurium drum in the original packaging from a 110F car one very hot summer, and got completely blank images .. for about 30 minutes. It did come back gradually.
=^..^=

Gaffers01
02-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Did you put new chips on them when you installed them?

If not, i always put new chips if changing drums from one machine to another as they would have completely different charges.

Sometimes you can get away with it, but generally you'd be better of spending £4 on a new chip.

Toxic
02-13-2020, 08:37 PM
No, i did not change chips.
There is no logic to me to put new chips to old weared drums, that really could make mess if machine thinks it have new drum.
In this specific situation drums on both machines are roughly same age and life so that should not be the problem.
In the past i done many times drum K instead drum CMY (c220,c224) ) ,never replace chips and never have problem, just put back old CMY chips on drum K.

Custom Search