PDA

View Full Version : Jamming TA-6501i with a Mailbox Tower MT-730

Custom Search

jayw
02-18-2020, 05:09 PM
Machine has multiple J7810 codes which is the MB Eject Sensor Stay Jam on the Mailbox Tower. I've replaced the 3 conveying rollers and the upper eject roller. I have cleaned the other rollers. There are no burrs on the plastic guides. The eject sensors have been replaced. This machine has 1.3M copies on it and they don't want to replace it. Are there any other techs out there working on this useless mailbox tower that's having similar issues?

JR2ALTA
02-18-2020, 05:17 PM
What are the code details? That may help us ring a bell.

My main issue has been the diverter guide breaking at mailbox entrance.

jayw
02-18-2020, 05:24 PM
J7810- MB Eject Sensor Stay Jam. I have replaced the Eject Guide which was broken about 3 months ago.

JR2ALTA
02-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Sorry, you did give the description earlier.

So where is the paper when it jams? The sheet either goes into the finisher and exits normally onto A or B or gets diverted up into the mailbox and exits out of one of the 8 or 9 trays.

The diverted which I spoke up gets broken at the hinge post and can't deflect up or down. I dont remember the jam code it gives

jayw
02-18-2020, 07:22 PM
The operator says it's jamming inside the mailbox by the 5th and 6th tray and it only happened once so far. I have replaced the diverter guide abour 6 months ago. That was broken at the post like you've mentioned. I also cleaned the idle rollers and adjusted the springs on the cover.

sparkycivic
02-18-2020, 10:37 PM
do they send a lotta pages to the mailbox? I've had one very heavily used mailbox where the bushings started getting tight and the motor in the mailbox would step-out. I lubed it a couple of times, but the issue kept coming back in a few weeks each time, so I ended up just swapping out the whole tower with a lesser-used one. I think it had around a million pages go through it.

Santander
02-19-2020, 01:25 AM
I agree with Sparky. look at the bushings on the lower and upper drive rollers. Had one that would randomly jam in the tower and it turned out to be the bushings got so contaminated they were slowing down the feed rollers throwing the timing off. I also had one where the sensor for the drive belt [front side of the MB] went bad [intermittently] creating a jam. We have probably 60 or more mailboxes out there and they have actually amazed me as to how reliable they are, some units have 3 to 4 million on the clock with the majority of the output going to the mailbox. You said it happens at tray five or six, is one of those trays broken? It would interfere with the output to the tray below it. Run copies to each tray and see if you can duplicate the problem. Mailboxes are not useless, we have customers that will not order a new unit without them.

KYO_OEM
02-19-2020, 11:08 AM
Take a look to Gear Z22/ Fig.2 paper feed section 1/ Item #45/ 303N031030 and item #30 / 36706900/ Torque limiter paper feed

jayw
02-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Yes they do use it a lot. The copier has over 1.3M copies on it. I will check the bushings on my next visit. We don't have an extra one in the shop and I know my boss will not purchase a new one since it has that many copies on it.

Thanks.

KYO_OEM
02-19-2020, 01:49 PM
Gear Z22 mostly the reason it`s a oneway gear.
In rare cases, cleaning was enough

jayw
02-19-2020, 02:56 PM
The customer tested it after I replaced the parts. None of the trays are broken. I stayed there for an hour while they tested it. They fed their copies to each tray numerous times without fail. An hour after I left is when they called back. Thanks for assistance. I will check it out on my next visit.

Tonerkiller
02-19-2020, 06:38 PM
I have seen this, clean the one way. It is at the bottom by the motor.

sparkycivic
02-24-2020, 02:09 PM
Tell your boss: the mailbox unit price is actually about the same as a couple of wasted truck-rolls.
We always hang onto a mildly used unit from retirement for such reasons... 60 seconds, poof done!

jayw
02-26-2020, 04:58 PM
I went back to the machine and the had 8 J-7800 and J-7810 codes. I cleaned the one-way gears on the rear of the tower and the shafts. I cleaned and inspected the bushings. I even checked the motor to see if it was slipping. I had them test the mailbox again and it ran flawless, printing to each tray. Then they printed a large document that looked like someone was making copies with the ADF open and the copies had a large black border around the image. This is what was jamming the mailbox. I had them print the same document to Tray A and B and it did not jam. I tried to attach the image but it wouldn't upload.

Thanks spankycivic for the suggestion but my tightwad boss won't go for it.

KYO_OEM
02-27-2020, 07:03 AM
In this case maybe other running direction could be helpfull by usage from other paper drawer.
You also can change the orientation by driver setting to "Rotatet Portrait" or "Landscape/ Rotatet Landscape"
Additionally you can change the setting for inbuild decurler from AK unit.

Santander
02-28-2020, 12:27 AM
I went back to the machine and the had 8 J-7800 and J-7810 codes. I cleaned the one-way gears on the rear of the tower and the shafts. I cleaned and inspected the bushings. I even checked the motor to see if it was slipping. I had them test the mailbox again and it ran flawless, printing to each tray. Then they printed a large document that looked like someone was making copies with the ADF open and the copies had a large black border around the image. This is what was jamming the mailbox. I had them print the same document to Tray A and B and it did not jam. I tried to attach the image but it wouldn't upload.

Thanks spankycivic for the suggestion but my tightwad boss won't go for it.

I disagree that the document with large black borders was causing the mailbox jam. Once the image is printed with large black areas and does not cause a jam in the machine itself and it processes to trays a or b it points back to the vertical drive section for the MB. Once the page is printed and passed off to the finisher it does not matter how much black area there is, to the finisher it is just a piece of paper. You said you had looked at the rear of the MB, how about the bushing on the "front" side where the paddle sensor is at the bottom of the MB? I have had to replace several bushings in the mailbox front side, upper and lower, that have become contaminated slowing down the vertical drive that have thrown the timing off that have several million pages processed to the mailboxes.

JR2ALTA
02-28-2020, 12:48 AM
I disagree that the document with large black borders was causing the mailbox jam. Once the image is printed with large black areas and does not cause a jam in the machine itself and it processes to trays a or b it points back to the vertical drive section for the MB. Once the page is printed and passed off to the finisher it does not matter how much black area there is, to the finisher it is just a piece of paper. You said you had looked at the rear of the MB, how about the bushing on the "front" side where the paddle sensor is at the bottom of the MB? I have had to replace several bushings in the mailbox front side, upper and lower, that have become contaminated slowing down the vertical drive that have thrown the timing off that have several million pages processed to the mailboxes.

Typically yes, the border will stick/curl/jam in the fuser. But I have seen heavy fill jam in a bridge unit once. Almost as if the rollers couldn't grip. Ran plain paper all day.

Custom Search