PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Bizhub C250i "Cleaning in Progress"

Custom Search

Slammers
02-24-2020, 04:12 PM
Hi folks,

I have a pretty much brand new C250i (15k total clicks, ~2 months old) that is behaving strangely when printing envelopes from the multipurpose tray.

After EACH envelope it stops/pauses and shows "Cleaning in Progress. Please wait" which is causing huge frustration to the customer due to the length of time its taking to print a batch.

I have looked and searched through the manual for what this process actually is to no avail - Fun Fact: there are 550 instances of the word "cleaning" in the manual, none of which actually cover this message.

Under normal operation there is no issues, this only occurs when printing envelopes from the bypass tray. I tested with plain A4 and no issues, just envelopes.

I even took some beefy card stock thinking it may be a thickness setting bug but no joy, even at thick3 it doesn't trigger, just for Envelopes.

Steps and info:

Media: Envelope - DL
Tray: Multipurpose
Firmware: G00-73
Self Checks: All Pass
Internal error log: None
IDC Sensors: Sparkly clean (Brand new) no P-Codes
ITB Blade: Clean (Brand new) no smudging
Drums: All checked, no defects on drum or charge rollers or charge roller cleaning brush
Additional Cleaning unit: Not Installed and verified correct in System2 -> Cleaning Unit Setting

So, my question is, what exactly is the "Cleaning In Progress" referring to. What is the copier doing/trying to do and what should I be looking for that is triggering this.

If you require any further info let me know

Cheers

Bix
02-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Hi, the G00-79 is out. Among the notes:
1. Improve FCOT (First Copy Output Time)

I don't think this solves your problem. From what I understand, does it only happen with envelopes? Have you tried to put it in the first tray and see if it does it anyway?

Slammers
02-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Hi Bix, thanks for the reply.

Hi, the G00-79 is out. Among the notes:
1. Improve FCOT (First Copy Output Time)

I should have stated that this is an Olivetti MF259 (Rebadged C250i) and the G00-73 is the latest firmware I currently have available, must be slightly behind KM's release.

From what I understand, does it only happen with envelopes?

Yes, that is correct, only Envelope setting is triggering the "Cleaning In Progress"

Have you tried to put it in the first tray and see if it does it anyway?

To answer your question about Tray 1 - No, I did not try this and to tell you the truth it skipped my mind that you can do envelopes from Tray 1 on these new Bizhubs. That will be my first check when I head back to site.

Do you know what the machine does when this cleaning is happening? Is it ITB cleaning, Shutter cleaning, Laser cleaning, Drum Cleaning? I have seen this message before, but only briefly when someone was doing large jobs on an older c224 and not every print, so wasn't flagged or investigated as a problem.

Thanks

Bix
02-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Usually the cleaning process is on the transfer belt. On 4/8 series I clean the two windows over the sensors under the belt. But it could be a firmware bug

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 04:46 PM
Well it might be FW, see this thread:
Bizhub C754 Keep Showing Cleaning In Progress (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/132786-bizhub-c754-keep-showing-cleaning-progress.html)
But I doubt it, because machine does this only in specific conditions. I was going to propose using trays but Bix already do that.
There is no mention about this behavior in SM or UM, I even tried to search older models like C258, nothing came up.
Can you try to trick the machine that it is printing not Envelopes to see what will happen?

Slammers
02-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Hi tsb, I have already had a look through that thread before posting my own, just didn't seem to be quite the same.

I am going to wait for Olivetti to release the G00-79 firmware and re-visit the machine.

As for fooling the machine, I did try that by taking some cardstock and printing on thick 1/2/3 from MP Tray, no problems. Just seems to be the specific "Envelope" setting that is causing the issue.

Bix,

Usually the cleaning process is on the transfer belt. On 4/8 series I clean the two windows over the sensors under the belt. But it could be a firmware bug

Ok, at least I now have the correct areas to look further, who knows, there could be an issue with one of the IDC sensors or just some weird firmware quirk. Lack of P-codes and no other issues kind of leans towards firmware.

Will let you know when the firmware arrives from Olivetti and will get it up to speed.

Thanks folks. :D

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 05:14 PM
Slammers, I was told that KM FW can be used on our Develop machines. I figure that you can put it also in Olivetti version.
Just drop me PM if you want to try G00-79.

Phil B.
02-24-2020, 05:19 PM
Hi folks,

I have a pretty much brand new C250i (15k total clicks, ~2 months old) that is behaving strangely when printing envelopes from the multipurpose tray.

After EACH envelope it stops/pauses and shows "Cleaning in Progress. Please wait" which is causing huge frustration to the customer due to the length of time its taking to print a batch.

I have looked and searched through the manual for what this process actually is to no avail - Fun Fact: there are 550 instances of the word "cleaning" in the manual, none of which actually cover this message.

Under normal operation there is no issues, this only occurs when printing envelopes from the bypass tray. I tested with plain A4 and no issues, just envelopes.

I even took some beefy card stock thinking it may be a thickness setting bug but no joy, even at thick3 it doesn't trigger, just for Envelopes.

Steps and info:

Media: Envelope - DL
Tray: Multipurpose
Firmware: G00-73
Self Checks: All Pass
Internal error log: None
IDC Sensors: Sparkly clean (Brand new) no P-Codes
ITB Blade: Clean (Brand new) no smudging
Drums: All checked, no defects on drum or charge rollers or charge roller cleaning brush
Additional Cleaning unit: Not Installed and verified correct in System2 -> Cleaning Unit Setting

So, my question is, what exactly is the "Cleaning In Progress" referring to. What is the copier doing/trying to do and what should I be looking for that is triggering this.

If you require any further info let me know

Cheers

after reading the total thread.. I have a few questions: Are they using a mail merge program to print the envelopes? or is it just from say... MS word?

also if it does work from the cassette that would hold more media (env) witch would work better with a mail merge program.

does the MPT/Envelope have an optical sensor? could that be dirty?

most machine when it says "cleaning in process" or such it is running either a belt or drum cleaning. is there a setting (like in old ricoh) to extend the time between cleanings?

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 06:07 PM
Phil this cleaning process isn't documented. You're correct I believe about cleaning drums or ITB(or both) but we cannot control this process as the machine is responsible maybe hard coded in FW how and when to perform cleaning.

Phil B.
02-24-2020, 06:15 PM
Phil this cleaning process isn't documented. You're correct I believe about cleaning drums or ITB(or both) but we cannot control this process as the machine is responsible maybe hard coded in FW how and when to perform cleaning.

thanks for the correction brother..

sometimes my 2 cents is worthless but i tried !;)

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 06:27 PM
thanks for the correction brother..

sometimes my 2 cents is worthless but i tried !;)

Offtopic:
NOBODY here(CTN) can tell that Phil B. isn't trying at his best :D
Respect Brother!

tsbservice
02-24-2020, 07:18 PM
To answer your question about Tray 1 - No, I did not try this and to tell you the truth it skipped my mind that you can do envelopes from Tray 1 on these new Bizhubs. That will be my first check when I head back to site.

Plus you can put up to 70 envelopes in Tray 1 vs 10 on the bypass tray ;)

emujo2
02-24-2020, 08:03 PM
I wonder if the please wait is related to fuser temp?? You might want to go into srevice mode right as you see this message and find out if the fuser temp is trying to drop a little..Are you telling the machine that envelpoes are in use? E

blackcat4866
02-25-2020, 12:35 AM
I'm just speculating here ...

... but we all know that envelopes deposit a line of toner on the fuser at 4 1/8" width for COM10 envelopes, causing premature failure of the fuser. Perhaps this "Cleaning ..." process is intended to minimize the toner buildup on the heat sleeve? Perhaps it's increasing the fuser heat between envelopes?

I generally do not recommend doing significant numbers of envelopes on MFP's, since it reduces the fuser life to 33% or less. =^..^=

Slammers
02-25-2020, 05:00 PM
Wow. Thanks folks, some awesome input here. Much appreciated for the knowledge and experience!

after reading the total thread.. I have a few questions: Are they using a mail merge program to print the envelopes? or is it just from say... MS word?

This is going to be my first look, I think you may be onto something with this as they do indeed perform a mail merge and they do use the mailing option through MS Word too. I may have a driver issue here as they had a C220 beforehand and I wonder if its pulling the old driver.

Will hold off on the G00-79 update until its available from Olivetti - I don't want to risk any warranty shennanigans incase there is an issue with the machine, and I will check all suggestions before updating.

Again, thanks for the info and tips, this has been really helpful for me.

Choclit007
02-25-2020, 06:25 PM
I just happen to have a C250i on hand & office 2016 on my computer.
Watched this video
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-jc_iLW2xg)
to create a mail merge for envelopes.

Hit print & the copier beeped.
I had put #10 envelopes in the bypass & set paper type to COM10
The screen showed COM10 but type was plain paper.
In Word Print screen Preferences I selected Bypass & Envelope then printed.
All envelopes came out ok & I did not notice any error messages.

Then I reversed the changes to get the beep error screen back.
This time I hit the start button to reprint the job after selecting the bypass.
All envelopes fed consecutively; after the job ended a Cleaning message appeared on the screen for a few seconds!

I believe the fusers in these machines automatically release pressure when envelopes are printed.
Perhaps the copier detected a mismatch between the copier setting & the received print job & triggered fuser cleaning.

tsbservice
02-25-2020, 07:13 PM
From bizhub C754 manual(there isn't such setting for C250i):

Auto Cleaning
(a) Use
• To set whether to perform the long regular transfer belt cleaning operation (approx. 30 sec).
• The long cleaning operation (approx. 30 seconds) can be used to take more effective measures against toner filming on the surface of
the transfer belt.
Enable Performs the long cleaning operation (approx. 30 sec) after the normal regular cleaning operations
(approx. 10 sec.) which are performed nine times.
Disable Performs only the normal regular operations (approx. 10 sec) but not the long cleaning operation (approx.
30 sec.).
(b) Default setting
• Disable
(c) Setting item
• Enable
• “Disable”

Question - how much time does it take for this"Cleaning in Progress" message to disappear?

JDR
02-28-2020, 12:04 PM
anyone could send me the G00-79 by WT or other ?

peterdebreakeder
02-28-2020, 04:50 PM
Fun Fact: OP has spent 32 hours on this problem, 33 of which were talking about it to our receptionist,

I beg and plead please help our poor lilly copier tech.

Custom Search