PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives

Custom Search

larweedad
02-26-2020, 09:42 PM
Has anyone tried to replace the standard hdd with the new ssd drives on the e to 8 series copiers? We tried but get get an error of fa14. If we get into the service mode to run a logic format, It stays at 0% and never changes. Not sure if we should try Physical format on the ssd or what.

allan
02-26-2020, 09:59 PM
Wonder if the SATA driver and firmware will allow for this.

qbert69
02-26-2020, 11:31 PM
Has anyone tried to replace the standard hdd with the new ssd drives on the e to 8 series copiers? We tried but get get an error of fa14. If we get into the service mode to run a logic format, It stays at 0% and never changes. Not sure if we should try Physical format on the ssd or what.What Brand of SSD? Most copiers run a *nix (Linux/Unix) flavor of Operating System. You might check to see if that SSD has been tested & spec'd to run natively with a *nix OS!!! I know that there is a company that sells Apple upgrade parts, Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More (https://www.macsales.com/) Mac OS X is a *nix system and Macsales has their SSD'S rated to work with Apple Hardware. You might need to dig a little deeper for compatibility information!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

copier tech
02-27-2020, 12:24 AM
Has anyone tried to replace the standard hdd with the new ssd drives on the e to 8 series copiers? We tried but get get an error of fa14. If we get into the service mode to run a logic format, It stays at 0% and never changes. Not sure if we should try Physical format on the ssd or what.

There is an SSD upgrade kit available however I simply replace the failed HDD with “like for like”

Synaux
02-27-2020, 03:13 AM
I don't really know much about the cx58s but I do know about HDDs.

In theory it should work as long as you have the correct partitions tables set, and I am almost sure you will need to the Physical Format first either way. I don't know what the HDD sizes are, but you might have to utilize a partition editor to make a partition the exact size as the 8 series (in case KM but some sort of HDD size checking in place for some reason).

I always thought that if I needed to I could always upgrade the HDD on older machines, but I have always had extras and honestly haven't had many HDD failures that I couldn't fix, so I never tried it.

larweedad
02-27-2020, 03:37 PM
It was worth a try and thanks for the responses

Bix
02-27-2020, 08:29 PM
Do you have real advantages with an SSD on a multifunction printer? The operating system is integrated into the card so I don't think there are speeds in the startup. Maybe when doing voluminous scans or using the user box but I usually haven't noticed any particular differences.

What do you think? Let me know your opinions :D

Synaux
02-27-2020, 08:57 PM
Do you have real advantages with an SSD on a multifunction printer? The operating system is integrated into the card so I don't think there are speeds in the startup. Maybe when doing voluminous scans or using the user box but I usually haven't noticed any particular differences.

I have wondered the same. I am not sure if the bottleneck is the HDD, but a c650 with the IC-409 (no SSD) will run circles around c654s with no Fiery especially on large pdf scans/prints. Given the age discrepancy, there should be no excuse for this and what more annoying is the IC-409 is really not that powerful of a computer.

srvctec
02-27-2020, 10:10 PM

My whole reasoning of the idea for this SSD swap of a failed HDD (I work with @larweedad) was from a standpoint of price and mechanical reliability, in addition to possibly faster scans to the HDD or even prints when ripped to the HDD. Our service manager gets HDDs for about $90.00 already formatted properly for specific machines. If we could use SSD's in place of spinning HDD's, one can get a brand name 256GB SSD for around $50.00. Then all we would have to do would be to properly format the new drives. But what we discovered was that there are 11 partitions for the 4e series HDDs after performing a physical format, followed by a logical format. Since mechanical failures of spinning HDD's are relatively rare, I'm not sure the effort to try and make SSD's usable is worth it. And the whole SATA controller F/W compatibility thing is also a consideration.

qbert69
02-27-2020, 10:26 PM
I have wondered the same. I am not sure if the bottleneck is the HDD, but a c650 with the IC-409 (no SSD) will run circles around c654s with no Fiery especially on large pdf scans/prints. Given the age discrepancy, there should be no excuse for this and what more annoying is the IC-409 is really not that powerful of a computer.Your computing device, regardless of operating system, is only as fast as the slowest component bottle necking the data chain!!![emoji15]...so yes, a SSD (no moving parts) is a definite consideration for upgrading!!![emoji6][emoji1303]

Synaux
02-27-2020, 10:43 PM
But what we discovered was that there are 11 partitions for the 4e series HDDs after performing a physical format, followed by a logical format.

11 partitions?! ffs Konica...

Anyways, I never tried cloning a disk with that many partitions, but should be possible to automate.

I actually want to try this now :rolleyes:

srvctec
02-27-2020, 10:51 PM
11 partitions?! ffs Konica...

Anyways, I never tried cloning a disk with that many partitions, but should be possible to automate.

I actually want to try this now :rolleyes:

I know!! 11 partitions is ridiculous.

The only ones I've messed with are the HDD's on the C253 series. We kept having multiple failures at a customer that had HORRIFIC power problems and wouldn't fix it. So, they kept calling saying their machine was locked up and the issue was always a corrupted HDD. After paying for more than one (they had a contract but we paid for the first couple replacements), I started formatting their corrupted drives exactly like what the C253 would format it from the machine but it was just three partitions. I would do the format on a windows PC. Then we would just keep one on hand and swap it out, reformat the corrupt one, repeat. I was hoping the newer machines would be similar.

Let us know how it goes when you try it!! :)

Synaux
02-27-2020, 10:57 PM
I know!! 11 partitions is ridiculous.

Let us know how it goes when you try it!! :)

Yeah I cannot think of good a reason for so many. I want to try it, but I am not going out of my way to do it either. ;)

Your computing device, regardless of operating system, is only as fast as the slowest component bottle necking the data chain!!![emoji15]...so yes, a SSD (no moving parts) is a definite consideration for upgrading!!![emoji6][emoji1303]

Very technically a SSD has moving states so does have moving parts :cool:

Anyways, it is fairly common knowledge that HDDs have been the slowest component of just about any computer system for some time. The problem is that I just said a MFP with no SSD (albeit a slow Fiery) outperforms a more modern MFP with a significantly faster HDD (i.e., sata interface). In fine, yes is it an upgrade. Will it make a noticeable difference: I'm not so sure.

qbert69
02-28-2020, 01:05 AM
Yeah I cannot think of good a reason for so many. I want to try it, but I am not going out of my way to do it either. ;)

Very technically a SSD has moving states so does have moving parts :cool:

Anyways, it is fairly common knowledge that HDDs have been the slowest component of just about any computer system for some time. The problem is that I just said a MFP with no SSD (albeit a slow Fiery) outperforms a more modern MFP with a significantly faster HDD (i.e., sata interface). In fine, yes is it an upgrade. Will it make a noticeable difference: I'm not so sure.It's a usual practice for copy machine OS installs, most are Linux, to create multiple partitions to sandbox storage space for various reasons/ functions, then that partition when it is finished being used for whatever purpose can be securely erased.[emoji41]

Synthohol
02-29-2020, 03:15 AM
about 20 of my HDDs are from copiers, i take them home and delete endless partitions then make a single one and backup kids pics, documents and movies and store it on a shelf for disaster recovery.

Synaux
02-29-2020, 08:22 PM
about 20 of my HDDs are from copiers, i take them home and delete endless partitions then make a single one and backup kids pics, documents and movies and store it on a shelf for disaster recovery.

Haha, are you the one that converted a fiery to a FTP server too? Don't forget to take the neodymium magnets out of the HDDs when they crap out too! ;)

Synthohol
02-29-2020, 10:42 PM
I have dozens of them.
They are awesome.

EarthKmTech
03-03-2020, 05:32 AM
Not related to machines in question,

But i run a 2.5” ide to ssd adapter in my c253. I use a 64gb kingston ssd in that and its flawless.

I did have to do physical format of course.

I now have a c284 at home so will try that at some stage too. (Its hdd is failing anyway)

Bix
03-03-2020, 08:06 AM
I tried to insert an iSeries SSD on a computer. It is also full of partitions and some I have not been able to recover them. On iSeries I have seen that recent firmware updates allow you to install 1TB SSD EM-908

Custom Search