PDA

View Full Version : Driver for Riso RZ990

Custom Search

Susiequs
10-29-2008, 09:07 PM
Am trying a Riso RZ990. They (Riso) said that we would be able to print from a macintosh running system 10.5. Now that I am doing the demo, it won't print from the mac, send the file and get 80% sent to the Riso and then stops. Now they are telling me that mac system 10.5 is so new and they don't have a driver for it yet. Does anyone out there have any information about that. Mac system 10.5 is not that new, I've been using it for at least a year now. I don't know how to evaluate the way it works printing from my desktop if I can't try it. They say they are working on it and will have one, but I'm concerned about how long. It sounds kinda fishy to me since there have to be lots of places out there using 10.5 since that's the system that has been coming with all new macs for a year now and macs are the standard in most print places. Any information would be helpful.

techathens
10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Bottom Line: RISOs are buggy with MACs - regardless of what the sales weasels indicate. During my years at RISO I always told the sales staff at the Atlanta Branch (and around the SE area I supported) to avoid demoing on the MAC - there were so many issues with the software and the version(s) of operating systems, and much of the time RISO themselves had no idea if some of the functionality ins-and-outs. The problem was that RISO (Japan) approached the software for the MACs as an afterthought.

I'll keep an ear to the ground and drop a line to some of my contacts. How are you printing to the RZ - USB,TCP/IP (network) or Raster Image Processor (RIP)?

Good Luck.

joelsa12
11-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Printing to any Riso from the onboard computer interface never worked well. All the machines that I hooked to a MAC where done with the bigger RIP. PS7R-5000 System Controller (https://us.riso.com/portal/page?_pageid=777,1050897&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL) check it out.

techathens
11-11-2008, 09:18 PM
I've had very few issues with the RISO network cards or the parallel ports, especally with PCs, which was one of my main functions in my days at RISO (including the Raster's). MACs on the other hand... even with the RIPs successful configuration and installation everything hinged on compatibility between a MACs operating system version (ie: 9.1,9.2,10.1,10.2,etc) and the RIP - network installation through the NetB, NetC, etc. was much easier as long as the client understood the postscript limitations.

Looking over the PS7R-5000, RISO indicates it is compatible with MAC OS9 (version: 9.2.2) and OS10 (versions: 10.2.6, 10.3.9, 10.4.2) - anyone interested in this RIP, make sure you have one of those OS versions and an engineer that is familiar configuring the PS7R on a MAC.

joelsa12
11-11-2008, 09:54 PM
In a thread where all we are talking about is Macs, that is all that I was refering to. Yes the PC printing with a Riso with an integrated controller is a breeze. I have had many more successful Mac hook ups not using the on board RIP but using one of the post script controllers SC-7500, SC-7700, SC-7900, SC-7950, or IS700C. As you know integrated controllers are GDI. They do not print with a MAC very well and in my experience were very slow. I am in no way saying to run out and buy IS700C because it is expensive, but if it is on trial ask to try one of those also.

Custom Search