PDA

View Full Version : c5501 plus SD506? Listed as not possible. but is it possible?

Custom Search

raplma
03-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Hello to one and all...
In short can a KM bizhub c5501 be coupled with a RU504 and run an SD506 booklet maker?

(Pro80 Fiery, 3.5M, OEM parts and consumables, regularly serviced and up to date...)

In long: I know this is one of those questions that scratches the grey matter because it was a scenario of 10+ years ago.
We have a KM c5501 sits at the back of the shop because it refuses to die, it's cheap and easy to maintain and great for those odd non image critical jobs.

When sold these were listed akin to the -L models of today they could take a simple all in one finishing unit FS-607 or FS-520 etc. and that's pretty much it.

However, before I jump in and just plug it all together cross my fingers and wait for a loud pop and grey smoke to appear...
Does anyone know even though the c5501 was never listed as being able to take the larger finishers - inc. field service manual - can it in reality take this combination - you know it's like the c6501 and c5501 don't do banner printing, yet they do and indeed our c6501 did - before it's suggested the c6501 has gone to the scrappers eons ago, and I know that would have been the machine for this scenario. I have seen actual pictures of the c5501 coupled with the RU and other finishers, but that doesn't mean that wasn't simply for a photo-shoot...

FYI - the SD506 in question is a spare unit we have that came off a c7000, so yes firmware could be an issue - any thoughts there welcome - the RU-504 came from a c6501
The reason for thinking of this is that we have a large booklet job coming up and so to be able to have a second one running would be ideal, at least as backup, I know I can use the FS607, however the forage trimming on press saves a lot of effort in this job and the SD506 does do a neater job.

Any thoughts, warnings, criticisms, most welcome

Mark

How

femaster
03-13-2020, 11:58 PM
While I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea if this will work, if you get no other useful responses, might I suggest looking at the service manuals for both and check the wiring diagrams of each unit. At the very least, before you go experimenting, check the pin-outs for the connection on the copier and the pin-outs for the connection on the finishing unit to see if they are at least similar, i.e., data lines, power lines, etc. match up between units. While a pop sound and smoke can be a thrill initially, it is very short lived...

lucky13
03-14-2020, 08:24 PM
1 basic finisher only

raplma
03-15-2020, 12:48 AM
While I don't have the SLIGHTEST idea if this will work, if you get no other useful responses, might I suggest looking at the service manuals for both and check the wiring diagrams of each unit. At the very least, before you go experimenting, check the pin-outs for the connection on the copier and the pin-outs for the connection on the finishing unit to see if they are at least similar, i.e., data lines, power lines, etc. match up between units. While a pop sound and smoke can be a thrill initially, it is very short lived...

Totally agree, and yes I did sound gangho, and would take the precautions you suggest.
In all honesty I don't think it will work as although from my study the connections are correct it will be a firmware distinction between these models
Thanks again for your comments and time to respond most appreciated!

Mark

methogod
03-15-2020, 02:16 AM
Not sure but i know the pro80 will work with the c6500/5500 version. I also know i have used LCT from other model years without issue.

Pretty sure there are missing connectors like on the 951/1052/1250 the 951 doesn't have the same connections of the faster models.

Custom Search