PDA

View Full Version : SSD storage board

Custom Search

jwai
03-20-2020, 04:33 PM
Hi everybody,

There have expert replace third party M2 size SSD module on i series instead of original Storage Board?

Synthohol
03-20-2020, 08:49 PM
Sure

jwai
03-21-2020, 03:47 PM
Oh, the specific brands of SSD storage the copier is supported?

Synthohol
03-21-2020, 05:57 PM
to be honest with you, your post was a poor translation to english and my response was apathetic indifference.

tsbservice
03-21-2020, 06:09 PM
It's like that with all his posts, maybe language barrier is too big. I think he asked if new i-series bizhubs storage board(SSD) may be replaced with aftermarket SSD(cheap) than original KM.

jotunn
03-21-2020, 10:51 PM
As far as I know, they can't be replaced by any other consumer NVMe disk. There are two kind of NVMe disks mounted in i-Series - PHISON (the bigger) and Toshiba (the smaller one).
I've tested Toshiba KBG30ZMS256G as the closest to the original (KBG30AMS256G), unfortunately even this was not enough.

Long story short...
Disks distributed by KM are most probably whitelisted (by firmware revision number) in the copier firmware - both kind of disks have the same firmware rev. and that's pretty impossible in real world in case of different manufacturers.
You can't edit firmware revision number, you can't extract firmware from OEM disk controller to upload to another disk, you could probably manually edit revision in firmware controller update image... but it's encrypted.

gere1
03-23-2020, 01:12 PM
the question is
Why do you want a ssd from the i series?
Are they giving problems?
has to connect another ssd m2 but I have not seen anything in the manual
and the microsd thing drives me crazy

and
12-24-2020, 09:50 AM
As far as I know, they can't be replaced by any other consumer NVMe disk. There are two kind of NVMe disks mounted in i-Series - PHISON (the bigger) and Toshiba (the smaller one).
I've tested Toshiba KBG30ZMS256G as the closest to the original (KBG30AMS256G), unfortunately even this was not enough.

Long story short...
Disks distributed by KM are most probably whitelisted (by firmware revision number) in the copier firmware - both kind of disks have the same firmware rev. and that's pretty impossible in real world in case of different manufacturers.
You can't edit firmware revision number, you can't extract firmware from OEM disk controller to upload to another disk, you could probably manually edit revision in firmware controller update image... but it's encrypted.

I found this ssd Apacer AS2280P2 M.2 240GB PCIe Gen3 x2 SSD [AP240GAS2280P2-1] - Uno sguardo da vicino - HW Legend (https://www.hwlegend.tech/recensioni/periferiche/apacer-as2280p2-m-2-240gb-pcie-gen3-x2-ssd-ap240gas2280p2-1/4/) have the same controller PS5008-E8 the same ram Nanya NT5CC128M16JR and the same Nand Flash TA59G55AIV of PHISON (the bigger) If anyone wants to try. (https://www.phison.com/images/products_datasheet/Embedded-PCIe_PS5008-E8T.pdf)

copier tech
12-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Hi everybody,

There have expert replace third party M2 size SSD module on i series instead of original Storage Board?

On the training course they told us you can remove & format these M2 SSD in using a laptop/caddy.

Apparently it is a standard board not unique to KM.

tsbservice
12-24-2020, 08:00 PM
On the training course they told us you can remove & format these M2 SSD in using a laptop/caddy.

Or purchase it from KM if you can. It's not expensive.

jotunn
12-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Apparently it is a standard board not unique to KM.

First thing - this is not M.2 SSD, it's M.2 NVMe much faster and not compatible with M.2 SSD
Second thing - yes, those disks could be read and written with a computer with proper interface, but only from copiers with early versions of firmware, KM in newer firmware has turned on disk locking, so you can't read and write partitions, but you can format whole disk
Third thing - you couldn't swap OEM disk with ordinary consumer disks, because they were not recognized as a boot device in a copier

Why to swap OEM disk with consumer one? Because earlier disks (Toshiba) were prone to damage, and OEM cost was $300 vs. $25 for consumer one.

EarthKmTech
12-25-2020, 06:52 AM
to be honest with you, your post was a poor translation to english and my response was apathetic indifference.

:cool: How rude, lol

Synthohol
12-26-2020, 01:23 PM
at least i was honest ;)

"There have expert replace third party M2 size SSD module on i series instead of original Storage Board?"

it seemed like a statement and a question all at once. i was lost like a deadhead at a K-pop concert.

Custom Search