PDA

View Full Version : C224e duplex jams

Custom Search

copyman
04-09-2020, 08:04 PM
I've read some bulletins and old posts about this same issue but still didn't find a fix.

When duplexing paper will exit at bottom and jam, instead of normally coming out at top and pulled back in for 2nd side. If you put slight pressure on top of side door it works fine. Checked all the normal stuff, broken door hooks & plastic pieces the hooks latch to, turnover gate sticking, etc. Also tried adjusting the door slightly but didn't want to mess with it too much unless it's a definite fix.
32-01 is jam code which there is a bulletin about putting on a pad to stop gate from sticking but not sure it's the fix in my case.

I've seen a few times on other machines where the bottom hook latch was broke and tray 2 wouldn't feed unless you put pressure on bottom of door, but tray 1 would feed fine fine. But never saw this one. Machine was moved recently and only has 22k total clicks. My thought is the movers strapped it too tight and door is out of alignment. Door looks like it is lining up perfect with top & bottom.

Anyone see this before or any ideas? My feeling is it has to be something simple but afraid to think that because every time I do it always turns out to be something big! Ha-ha

Thanks in advance

copier tech
04-09-2020, 11:29 PM
I've read some bulletins and old posts about this same issue but still didn't find a fix.

When duplexing paper will exit at bottom and jam, instead of normally coming out at top and pulled back in for 2nd side. If you put slight pressure on top of side door it works fine. Checked all the normal stuff, broken door hooks & plastic pieces the hooks latch to, turnover gate sticking, etc. Also tried adjusting the door a slightly but didn't want to mess with it too much unless it's a definite fix.
32-01 is jam code which there is a bulletin about putting on a pad to stop gate from sticking but not sure it's the fix in my case.

I've seen a few times on other machines where the bottom hook latch was broke and tray 2 wouldn't feed unless you put pressure on bottom of door, but tray 1 would feed fine fine. But never saw this one. Machine was moved recently and only has 22k total clicks. My thought is the movers strapped it too tight and door is out of alignment. Door looks like it is lining up perfect with top & bottom.

Anyone see this before or any ideas? My feeling is it has to be something simple but afraid to think that because every time I do it always turns out to be something big! Ha-ha

Thanks in advance

Does it jam every time on all paper sizes & from all trays & bypass ?

I guess you removed the sticky pads?

copyman
04-09-2020, 11:59 PM
Does it jam every time on all paper sizes & from all trays & bypass ?

I guess you removed the sticky pads?

Thanks for the reply. Sorry should of included, it jams all sizes and all trays / bypass. Also should of included I've been there 2 times already and thought I had it working last time for sure after running 50 duplex without it jamming. When I go back it will jam consistently until I put pressure on "top" of side door. You would think for sure the plastic hook or latch was broken. Really weird.

Since the machine only has 22k clicks and pads were not sticky I didn't remove them. The bulletin says to add a piece of print head cleaning pad on top of sticky pad. Was going to do next visit even though pads didn't feel sticky.

Thanks again

ivovb
04-10-2020, 08:12 AM
Have seen several times such a problem. All the times decision is as follows.

1. Remove Gate switch unit using chapter 5.7.2 in SM
2. Look at the last photo in procedure - especially gate switch solenoid [4].
3. Place 3 layers of isolandband on a metal chasis against solenoid's anchor.
4. Confirm it's working. If not set one more layer.

Most of the cases 3/4/5 layers are enough.

Yes it is anoying to remove and reinstall unit for each layer. Yes You can't be sure if it works even making 50-100 double sided prints - unfortunatelly customer calls several days later and You have to back for next layer...

BR

tsbservice
04-10-2020, 12:30 PM
Have seen several times such a problem. All the times decision is as follows.

1. Remove Gate switch unit using chapter 5.7.2 in SM
2. Look at the last photo in procedure - especially gate switch solenoid [4].
3. Place 3 layers of isolandband on a metal chasis against solenoid's anchor.
4. Confirm it's working. If not set one more layer.

Most of the cases 3/4/5 layers are enough.

Yes it is anoying to remove and reinstall unit for each layer. Yes You can't be sure if it works even making 50-100 double sided prints - unfortunatelly customer calls several days later and You have to back for next layer...

BR

That would be the fix.

Btw, no need to do several attempts on this gate switch solenoid, 2mm are enough.
bizhub c364e jam 32-01 (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/107260-bizhub-c364e-jam-32-01-a.html)

This has fixed 3201/3205 for me a number of times.

-------------------------------

Article ID: KBA01500433

ErrorJam code 32-01

Root CauseJam code 32-01 occurs only on the first duplexed copy or print.

Workaround/FixCAUSE: Improper movement of the paper exit/reverse switch gate.

SOLUTION: Install a2mm thick mylar on the frame directly in front of the plunger for the Gate switch solenoid (SD3) as outlined in the illustration below.

copyman
04-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.

Synthohol
04-10-2020, 04:03 PM
i use 2 or 3 of the panel stickers that come with the machine.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/45432d1561430108-c224e-duplex-jams-overkill-jpg

copyman
04-10-2020, 07:16 PM
i use 2 or 3 of the panel stickers that come with the machine.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/45432d1561430108-c224e-duplex-jams-overkill-jpg

You mean the user box, etc. strip of stickers that are never used? Only ones used are the fax/scan & copy.

Synthohol
04-10-2020, 10:03 PM
yes, exactly!!
sometimes i get stubborn and dont even take the unit out and ill pop the stickers on with forceps and a spring hook tool!

copier tech
04-11-2020, 10:45 AM
yes, exactly!!
sometimes i get stubborn and dont even take the unit out and ill pop the stickers on with forceps and a spring hook tool!

What does putting a sticker in this location do exactly!?

Synthohol
04-11-2020, 02:33 PM
it makes the solenoid pintle slightly engaged and the duplex gate slightly down so the solenoid engages better and faster.

copier tech
04-11-2020, 02:51 PM
it makes the solenoid pintle slightly engaged and the duplex gate slightly down so the solenoid engages better and faster.

Ah ok, & this really makes a difference?

Synthohol
04-11-2020, 02:56 PM
IMHO i think the solenoid loses some electromagnetism and fails to suck the pintle in or the axles of the duplex gate become worn and the resting position of the gate is too high so when a duplex is started the gate does not pull down fast enough to allow the page to be sent for turnover and either comes out the bottom instead or the paper get caught on the comb.

copier tech
04-11-2020, 03:07 PM
IMHO i think the solenoid loses some electromagnetism and fails to suck the pintle in or the axles of the duplex gate become worn and the resting position of the gate is too high so when a duplex is started the gate does not pull down fast enough to allow the page to be sent for turnover and either comes out the bottom instead or the paper get caught on the comb.

Interesting theory but i’d I wouldn’t expect this in the slower c224e if it was a timing issue more so on the c364e?

Synthohol
04-11-2020, 03:51 PM
the paper has a bit to do with it as well.
24#+ paper seems to do much better, after leaving the fuser, thicker paper has less curl to get stuck on the comb of the gates.

copyman
04-11-2020, 04:38 PM

Someone mentioned cutting the spring but wouldn't this make it harder for the sol plunger to energize and be pulled in?

The solenoid has a slot where the screw is and looks like it would be adjustable but can't because it sits on a location pin.

I took the whole exit unit from a machine in shop with 17k. Going to swap out whole unit. Also put "2" control panel labels on the metal frame as indicated (thanks syn). Should I add another label so I don't have to take back out or is 2 label thickness enough since low meter unit?

Thanks again

tsbservice
04-11-2020, 05:09 PM
You can swap solenoid with modified one, just to make sure you don't have to do it again.
Part number A161R72644 Solenoid Assy.

Synthohol
04-11-2020, 05:14 PM
Should I add another label so I don't have to take back out or is 2 label thickness enough since low meter unit?

Thanks again
low meter 2 labels, over 750k 3 labels is my gauge.
too many labels the angle of the comb gate is too low and can overcompensate and jam.
thats why i like the spring hook forceps way, i add 3 and if it still jams i can peel one off easily.

hobbele
10-20-2022, 12:54 PM
Hello everyone, is this modification still relevant with the new Exit Assy?

Part Number of Paper Exit Assy Change (Related to PMN No.KOM171586)

We have a machine with the same problem and have already swapped the Exit Assy (A5C0F8950F).
The paper is sporadically ejected in the lower area and does not run up into the duplex.

So should I also test a 2mm thick Mylar here?

TIA

copyman
10-20-2022, 01:00 PM
Hello everyone, is this modification still relevant with the new Exit Assy?
Part Number of Paper Exit Assy Change (Related to PMN No.KOM171586)

We have a machine with the same problem and have already swapped the Exit Assy (A5C0F8950F).
The paper is sporadically ejected in the lower area and does not run up into the duplex.

So should I also test a 2mm thick Mylar here?

TIA

The labels worked for me!

ferro10
10-24-2022, 09:04 AM
I don't have the front panel labels available. What can I use alternatively?

hobbele
10-24-2022, 09:16 AM
I don't have the front panel labels available. What can I use alternatively?

everything that is 2mm thick and sticks! it's just a matter of shortening the gap. I did it today and the machine runs! Thanks to all

REGSIS
11-18-2022, 01:13 PM
Those 32-05 & 32-01 jams were annoying me for a while, particularly with a 0.5 mil C308.
I used to replace a modified solenoid and 2 sponges at the exit unit as a solution on all troubled machines. Usually worked, but... it came back on some.
Synthohol solution with 2mm stickers were a step forward but what really solved the problem were the pads at the side door (reverse unit).

Explanation: Gate switch is moving forward and backward to guide the paper on lower or upper exit. Those sponges/pads are actually just dampers to prevent noise which the gate switch will make if they are absent.
When a duplex print is executed gate switch leans on pads in reverse unit. At exact moment solenoid is energized and should retract its arm which move the gate switch. When pads at the reverse unit are old gate switch stick to them making the movement late which results that only one side is printed and paper exit at lower gate producing J32-01.
If the first side is printed and the same fault occurred at the second side J32-05 is shown with jammed paper inside fuser but the cause is the same - gate switch stick to pads/sponges and is not moved on time.

Gate switch should not stick at each side because its movement should be executed on time.

A161893601 Cushion x2 on paper exit unit
A161825301 Cushion /A x2 on reversal unit

Oystercopy
11-21-2022, 10:49 AM
I've glued the corner piece of a credit/debit card on that frame opposite that plunger, and that has worked for me several times. Of course, an old, out of date card!
OC

Custom Search