PDA

View Full Version : New Kyocera MFPs with speed licenses

Custom Search

SalesServiceGuy
04-13-2020, 11:37 PM
Anyone hearing any news about Kyocera introducing a new MFP where the dealer stocks one box and then buys a seperate license to increase the print speed?

skynet
04-14-2020, 08:00 AM
No I am assuming there would be for example 3050 4052 5052 door badges inside the copier box?

mga
04-14-2020, 06:02 PM
Anyone hearing any news about Kyocera introducing a new MFP where the dealer stocks one box and then buys a seperate license to increase the print speed?

Never heard of that.

craigster
04-14-2020, 09:26 PM
FAKE NEWS

bsm2
04-14-2020, 10:57 PM
Could be USA market is usually the last to hear about anything new from Kyocera
I remember when they came out with Falcon 3 Kyocera rep want to be on first install
when I called him to tell we had one, he ask how did we get the machine as they were
still not released in the USA. We got it from a Canada dealer. :cool::cool:

SalesServiceGuy
04-15-2020, 02:25 AM
FAKE NEWS

I have some solid information from outside of the copier technician world.

The responses so far indicate to me that there has been no technical bulletins published yet which implies to me no product launch in at least the next three months. With COVID-19, probably no earlier than Sept.

SalesServiceGuy
04-15-2020, 01:46 PM
I am fairly confident that a combination of the move from HDD to SSD drives and the speed licensing of copiers is the future of copiers within 8-18 months.

Konica Minolta has already introduced SSDs in their current iSeries copiers. Customers seem to accept this technology without any concerns.

There are, of course, some technical limitations.

For example, the fuser on a 25 cpm may not be the same as on a 50 cpm copier but if a manufacturer was able to reduce its product line from a 25, 30, 35, 45 & 50 cpm copier range (5 boxes) to only two boxes one at 25/30 and one 35/45/50 range with speed licenses think of the savings!

The speed license would likely come in a separate envelope with a sticker to attach for the model number.

diedux
04-15-2020, 02:20 PM
I'm adding Elatec card reader when configuring card authentication on devices. Not long ago they introduced licences to upgrade how many different card types this reader can recognize. Instead of three, now they can manufacture one reader type and upgrade it with a licence card.

This "speed licences" would be fairly easy to implement.

Tonerkiller
04-21-2020, 02:30 PM
All you have to do is cut the gray wire.

tmaged
04-21-2020, 05:14 PM
I am fairly confident that a combination of the move from HDD to SSD drives and the speed licensing of copiers is the future of copiers within 8-18 months.

Konica Minolta has already introduced SSDs in their current iSeries copiers. Customers seem to accept this technology without any concerns.

There are, of course, some technical limitations.

For example, the fuser on a 25 cpm may not be the same as on a 50 cpm copier but if a manufacturer was able to reduce its product line from a 25, 30, 35, 45 & 50 cpm copier range (5 boxes) to only two boxes one at 25/30 and one 35/45/50 range with speed licenses think of the savings!

The speed license would likely come in a separate envelope with a sticker to attach for the model number.

This is how it has been for a while. The segments all run at the same speed, only changing the paper feed timing to run at the rated speed.
They're also using SSD's for page memory, fax memory etc.

tsbservice
04-21-2020, 06:24 PM
It's not problem at all and now. All depends on manifacturer's strategy. I think they now coded FW and some hard boards for example to make bizhub C250i to C360i for example.
This can be done via dedicated licence instead. I don't see what is the difference.

SalesServiceGuy
04-21-2020, 06:59 PM
It's not problem at all and now. All depends on manifacturer's strategy. I think they now coded FW and some hard boards for example to make bizhub C250i to C360i for example.
This can be done via dedicated licence instead. I don't see what is the difference.

I understand in the background at the manufacturers level there is little technical difference between the boxes.

Nevertheless, when you order a BizHub C250i, it comes in a box that says C250i on it. If you order a C360i it comes in a different box that days C360i on it. You cannot upgrade a C250i to a C360i.

Would it not be more economic for a dealer to order one box and order the speed license he wants for it?

SalesServiceGuy
04-21-2020, 07:05 PM
This is how it has been for a while. The segments all run at the same speed, only changing the paper feed timing to run at the rated speed.
They're also using SSD's for page memory, fax memory etc.

I do not know the particulars of every manufacturer but some manufactures run their operating systems primarily from the HDD of the copier and not RAM.

I think to-date SSD's have been used in low MB and not GB requirements.

tsbservice
04-21-2020, 07:32 PM
I understand in the background at the manufacturers level there is little technical difference between the boxes.

Nevertheless, when you order a BizHub C250i, it comes in a box that says C250i on it. If you order a C360i it comes in a different box that days C360i on it. You cannot upgrade a C250i to a C360i.

Would it not be more economic for a dealer to order one box and order the speed license he wants for it?

I see your point in dealers storing ie. 4 Cxxxi instead of one C250i plus one C300i plus two C360i but nothing revolutionary.
That said I'm a tech not a salesman and being focused on drilling down machines onto logical pieces made by hardware and software so my visionary outside tech aspects is quite limited...I know it's my bad...just can't.
However good salesman impels things ahead so you can be quite right in long terms...

SalesServiceGuy
04-21-2020, 07:51 PM
Often to get best price, dealers are forced to order like 12 copiers at one time. They try and guess what their future requirements will be. It is not uncommon that they get the mix of 25, 30, 35, 45 and 50 cpm wrong. Their sales people sell a different mix of speeds and sell out of 35 cpms first. Now the dealer has to re-order 35 cpms at a higher cost.

Would it not be easier to just order 12 boxes at best price and not worry about getting the inventory just right?

tsbservice
04-21-2020, 08:05 PM
OK. Stockpile will be more effective.
Do you see another points for that license move to be "the future of copiers"?
They all(manufacturers) could jump in that wagon one after another so your competitors won't be away in short time.

SalesServiceGuy
04-21-2020, 08:28 PM
It can take many months to two years before a manufacturer can react and bring out a new product line,

The pushback from manufacturers is that they want to force dealers to stock all kinds of inventory.

With COVID-19 there is going to be forced change in the copier industry as people discover they do not have to work the way they used to. Some people will prefer to work from home and some businesses will see less of a need to have expensive A3 copiers to service a large workgroup.

The demand for workgroup quality A4 copiers at a lower cost is going to increase.

SalesServiceGuy
11-05-2022, 12:39 AM
It has been more than year since Kyocera introduced speed licenses on their current line of TA7000 copiers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

KYOCERA TASKalfa 7054ci 7004i Speed license - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUDTQYbP4s)

... speed licenses do seem to be a great way for Kyocera to generate extra revenue for little additional cost.

toddanderson
11-05-2022, 12:36 PM
I was told the next round of A4's will have speed licenses

It has been more than year since Kyocera introduced speed licenses on their current line of TA7000 copiers. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

KYOCERA TASKalfa 7054ci 7004i Speed license - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYUDTQYbP4s)

... speed licenses do seem to be a great way for Kyocera to generate extra revenue for little additional cost.

PrintWhisperer
11-05-2022, 04:43 PM

How exactly does it generate extra revenue? If anything it reduces waste in manufacturing, dealer inventory space and flooring costs.

The licenses are limited within the mechanical segments (25/35 40/50/60 70's, etc) so it's still the same mechanicals just without a dedicated speed from the factory.

So if no one buys 60's you can sell them a 40 that's the same box and not wind up with unsold 60's which is essentially the current state.

It would be logical to extend it to other segments where the internals are identical. If there were minor differences in a segment, the mechanicals need to be upgraded to the fastest speed spec so seems like a win-win.

SalesServiceGuy
11-05-2022, 09:10 PM
How exactly does it generate extra revenue? If anything it reduces waste in manufacturing, dealer inventory space and flooring costs.

The licenses are limited within the mechanical segments (25/35 40/50/60 70's, etc) so it's still the same mechanicals just without a dedicated speed from the factory.

So if no one buys 60's you can sell them a 40 that's the same box and not wind up with unsold 60's which is essentially the current state.

It would be logical to extend it to other segments where the internals are identical. If there were minor differences in a segment, the mechanicals need to be upgraded to the fastest speed spec so seems like a win-win.

... if a speed license is just a Serial # printed on an invoice and there are a couple of extra badges inside the sealed copier box, there is little cost to Kyocera to charge for a speed license. I have seen speed licenses on the new HP's go for around $3,300 MSRP to upgrade a copier from 40 to 60 cpm.

... it is not hard to image Kyocera giving away free speed licenses when needed to close a big sale or offer as a promotion.

Overall, I think speed licenses should be the future of copiers as it helps to simplify inventory especially in a post COVID world with rising hardware costs, scarce chip sets and tenuous supply chains that all can be unpredictable.

PrintWhisperer
11-05-2022, 10:20 PM
The point is they were always the same machine and the price difference was always there, it just wasn’t obvious until speed licenses.

BTW they are badged at base speed, upgrade badges come with the license purchase. The 7054ci is sold at that speed and not an upgrade from the 40.

SalesServiceGuy
11-05-2022, 11:03 PM
I was told the next round of A4's will have speed licenses

... great idea!

Custom Search