PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous SD-512 Folds correctly but when combined with stapling the fold is off

Custom Search

mr63249
04-28-2020, 03:49 AM
Folds normally but when used in conjunction with staple, staples correct but fold moves to nearly a trifold postion

raplma
04-28-2020, 10:34 AM
While you wait for the true techs on here to jump in, let me give a few thoughts to get the ball rolling from a user perspective of these units.
So we have two of these and they do 1000's of booklets for us and find them very reliable, but keep them cleaned - especially the transport rollers and guide plates - and maintained as per service.

I assume you've run a number off - say 10 - and it is doing it on all of them?
I have had our units do this but it is very occasionally and it's just the odd one where the booklet got stuck.

Have you tried a different paper stock. We find that there are some stocks, usually the cheaper ones, that don't move through the machines as well due to static and the rougher texture.
On the odd job where the stock is supplied and it isn't great I've used a silicone spray on the guide plates to reduce the static build-up, but in my experience these units are not so prone to static as their smaller cousins, FS-6xx

It's obvious, but check the settings on the adjustment menu, I don't think the adjustment range is large enough to cause the difference you're getting, but worth checking there isn't a spurious setting in there.

What I do, and if you do this you do so at your own risk, would be to open the left hand door, override the door switch - I use a spare door catch - again you do this at your own risk.
Then run a couple of booklets through of the job you know that works, and watch what happens. Then run the job that fails and watch what is happening, and compare. You could always video the process and post that up too.

These may be irrelevant comments, but a few thoughts while I have my coffee....

Mark

tsbservice
04-28-2020, 07:30 PM
With what model/unit do you use it?

blackcat4866
04-28-2020, 11:38 PM
The most common source of paper jams in the booklet folder originate in the paper tray. Whether it's a C1060 or a PRESS1052, the rod that locks the position of the paper guides will get deep cuts in it, allowing the paper guides to shift out ... up to 5mm away from the edge of the paper stack. The paper hits one of the regulating plates in the booklet folder stalling the paper movement.

If you replace the rod in the paper tray, the paper will remain properly centered.

What jam codes do you see? =^..^=

blackcat4866
04-28-2020, 11:49 PM
... What I do, and if you do this you do so at your own risk, would be to open the left hand door, override the door switch - I use a spare door catch - again you do this at your own risk.
Then run a couple of booklets through of the job you know that works, and watch what happens. Then run the job that fails and watch what is happening, and compare. You could always video the process and post that up too.

Mark

There isn't really any way to observe this booklet maker in action. The best you'll get is peeking through a 13mm hole in the frame with a flashlight ... distinctly unsatisfying.

I classify everything by jam code. Without a jam code it's just chaos. =^..^=

mr63249
04-29-2020, 12:07 AM
With what model/unit do you use it?

C554

mr63249
04-29-2020, 12:09 AM
The most common source of paper jams in the booklet folder originate in the paper tray. Whether it's a C1060 or a PRESS1052, the rod that locks the position of the paper guides will get deep cuts in it, allowing the paper guides to shift out ... up to 5mm away from the edge of the paper stack. The paper hits one of the regulating plates in the booklet folder stalling the paper movement.

If you replace the rod in the paper tray, the paper will remain properly centered.

What jam codes do you see? =^..^=

No jam code it comes out

allan
04-29-2020, 12:24 AM
So its a center folder A5 booklet from A4?
If so try an A4 booklet from A3 paper
Any slight deformation on the staple?

Could be firmware related... but never seen that before.
Does it fold in exactly the same place every time?

mr63249
04-29-2020, 02:29 AM
So its a center folder A5 booklet from A4?
If so try an A4 booklet from A3 paper
Any slight deformation on the staple?

Could be firmware related... but never seen that before.
Does it fold in exactly the same place every time?

We get the same result from A3 and A4. We have also changed the boards and updated firmware. We have also checked the finisher on another machine just to rule everything else out and it done the exact same thing. No deformation of the staple, does it staple or fold first

allan
04-29-2020, 02:52 AM
We get the same result from A3 and A4. We have also changed the boards and updated firmware. We have also checked the finisher on another machine just to rule everything else out and it done the exact same thing. No deformation of the staple, does it staple or fold first

Please have a look at the theory of operation for that unit.

mr63249
04-29-2020, 03:45 AM
Please have a look at the theory of operation for that unit.

I have looked at the theory of operation. The only thing I get from that is "The position of the stopper guide controls the folding postion. The stopper guide is fixed by a screw so it doesn't move, if it was broken it should cause the same issue when center folding

Synthohol
04-29-2020, 05:38 AM
in the finisher adjustments, can you do a half fold and staple?
if we forget about booklet mode, can you just copy 8 A4 pages set to half fold and staple?
is the output different if you select booklet and half fold and staple instead?

raplma
04-29-2020, 08:12 AM
While you wait for the true techs on here to jump in....

Mark

Dunce hat on, my closing statement has proven true as I had the SD506 in mind and not the SD512...apologies
Either the coffee was having the wrong effect or I was still reeling from a customer who after making a gazillion changes to some artwork I was doing for them, finally came up with the amendment for an italicised full-stop!! I kid you not!
Have a great day and I'll slip back to lurking in the shadows.

Leyahné
04-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Had this before and the problem was the solenoid on the folding section that catches the paper and pools it down. Solenoid had a short on the wire.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

blackcat4866
04-29-2020, 11:37 PM
These may help:

LTR-R booklets staple in the correct position but intermittently fold 50mm from proper fold position. Grippers slip off of the the booklet, when moving the stapled, not-yet-folded booklet into position for the knife. Add 1/2 additional wrap to each spring tensioning the grippers. Install the screw on the other side of the shaft.

LTR-R booklets staple in the correct position but intermittently fold 8 1/2" from the trailing edge. A single page within the booklet is folded down at the leading edge 1.25" to 1.875" from the leading edge, skewed slightly to the rear. FS-528, SD-510. Paper entering the saddle stitcher holding tray snags on the rear regulation plate, folding the leading edge, and skewing that page. Adjust the rear regulating plate to the rear 2mm. The distance from the regulating plate to the adjoining frame should be about the same.

=^..^=

Custom Search