PDA

View Full Version : C368 power-over-ethernet request

Custom Search

mascan42
06-10-2020, 04:13 PM
I have a C368 that keeps falling off the network a few minutes after connecting the cable. The customer's IT says they're detecting a power-over-ethernet request from that port, which is causing the port to reset. They've tried switching to a different port on the switch, with the same results. Any idea what could be happening?

Bix
06-10-2020, 04:24 PM
I would start doing a very simple thing: you try to connect it directly to the PC. If this works, the problem is with the customer's network. If not, there may be something wrong with the c368.

let me know
Bix

Bix
06-10-2020, 04:26 PM
Keep this in mind too: ip filtering in the new firmware may be set by default. I advise you to disable it!

qbert69
06-10-2020, 04:28 PM
I have a C368 that keeps falling off the network a few minutes after connecting the cable. The customer's IT says they're detecting a power-over-ethernet request from that port, which is causing the port to reset. They've tried switching to a different port on the switch, with the same results. Any idea what could be happening?C368 shouldn't have ANY POE!!! POE sounds like it is being pushed by/from the switch!!! POE is only necessary for ethernet powered devices such as POE powered Wi-Fi Routers, IP Video Cameras, Raspberry Pi with a POE Hat and other such IOT devices that do not have their own external power supply or are at a remote location and it's not feasible to have a power point at that location for powering that device... it can be powered through the ethernet cable sent from the POE ethernet switch. The switch functions for power and data. In the case of the C368, I would think you'd not want to have it attached to a POE Switch!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

mascan42
06-10-2020, 06:23 PM
The customer is getting by for now by disabling POE on that port. But they insist there is a request for power coming over the port (not happening when another device is connected). There is no issue when I connect my laptop to the printer, but the problem follows it when they switch it to a different port.

mascan42
06-10-2020, 06:25 PM
C368 shouldn't have ANY POE!!! POE sounds like it is being pushed by/from the switch!!! POE is only necessary for ethernet powered devices such as POE powered Wi-Fi Routers, IP Video Cameras, Raspberry Pi with a POE Hat and other such IOT devices that do not have their own external power supply or are at a remote location and it's not feasible to have a power point at that location for powering that device... it can be powered through the ethernet cable sent from the POE ethernet switch. The switch functions for power and data. In the case of the C368, I would think you'd not want to have it attached to a POE Switch!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

All of their other copiers are connected through the same switch with no problem.

qbert69
06-10-2020, 06:27 PM
All of their other copiers are connected through the same switch with no problem.Doesn't matter!!! POE should NOT be enabled except for devices that require it!!![emoji6][emoji1303]

qbert69
06-10-2020, 06:44 PM
Image Resolution Extremely Low...Pixellated...Impossible to Read!!![emoji15]

qbert69
06-10-2020, 06:57 PM
Hi! I found this...

45877Yep! I figured as much!!! Why enable POE if you don't need it!!!--printers don't need POE for sure!!!...so basically it comes down to the IT Department's problem and mis-management of their network devices!!! [emoji41][emoji1303]

D_L_P
06-10-2020, 07:21 PM
The customer is getting by for now by disabling POE on that port. But they insist there is a request for power coming over the port (not happening when another device is connected). There is no issue when I connect my laptop to the printer, but the problem follows it when they switch it to a different port.

That's a weird one. I'd turn off extra protocals like Bonjour, SNMP, or UPnP at the C368.
Maybe that specific router interprets the request from one of those discovery protocols as a sign the C368 has PPOE?

femaster
06-10-2020, 08:38 PM
Yep! I figured as much!!! Why enable POE if you don't need it!!!--printers don't need POE for sure!!!...so basically it comes down to the IT Department's problem and mis-management of their network devices!!!

Yup, lazy IT department. Do the minimum you can to get things working instead of setting things up the way they should be.

As has been stated already, there should NEVER be PoE turned on for any port that doesn't explicitly require it. Unfortunately, that means that someone would actually have to some work and go in and disable it. It's much easier for lazy people to do nothing and leave the switch in its default mode where power is on for all ports.

Custom Search