PDA

View Full Version : 11x17 pdf documents not printing correctly on MX-5071

Custom Search

rspicer
06-12-2020, 11:01 PM
This one has me baffled. It is at a roofing contractor, so they print a lot of 11x17 size drawings.
Printing 11x17 pdf drawings to the MX-5071 causes a popup on the control panel asking to load A3 paper, even though all the settings in the print dialog box are set to 11x17. When you redirect the job to the 11x17 drawer, it will print, but the image is still A3 size, which cuts off part of the drawing at the top of the page. It does the same thing with all 11x17 documents, but letter size documents print fine.
In print settings, I have enabled the automatic conversion of A4 to Letter and A3 to 11x17 function. It still asks for A3 paper.
I tried both the PostScript and PCL drivers. I tried printing from a different workstation. I tried different documents. I tried using different applications (Adobe Acrobat vs Blue Beam pdf applications). All of them had the same result.
If you put the document on a USB thumb drive and print directly to the machine, it prints fine.
If you print to the Canon iR Adv C5235 in the next office, it prints fine.
Has anyone seen this problem before? Can anyone give me tips on what to check next?

Phil B.
06-12-2020, 11:21 PM
This one has me baffled. It is at a roofing contractor, so they print a lot of 11x17 size drawings.
Printing 11x17 pdf drawings to the MX-5071 causes a popup on the control panel asking to load A3 paper, even though all the settings in the print dialog box are set to 11x17. When you redirect the job to the 11x17 drawer, it will print, but the image is still A3 size, which cuts off part of the drawing at the top of the page. It does the same thing with all 11x17 documents, but letter size documents print fine.
In print settings, I have enabled the automatic conversion of A4 to Letter and A3 to 11x17 function. It still asks for A3 paper.
I tried both the PostScript and PCL drivers. I tried printing from a different workstation. I tried different documents. I tried using different applications (Adobe Acrobat vs Blue Beam pdf applications). All of them had the same result.
If you put the document on a USB thumb drive and print directly to the machine, it prints fine.
If you print to the Canon iR Adv C5235 in the next office, it prints fine.
Has anyone seen this problem before? Can anyone give me tips on what to check next?

what are the tray settings in the driver and unit?

blackcat4866
06-12-2020, 11:30 PM
One thing that I've learned about PDFs incidentally, while working on a Lexmark issue is that there are two different sets of "properties". There are document properties and print properties, and they are defined in different areas.

My enduser was using Microsoft Word (I personally hate Word because of it's auto-formatting, that's continually re-arranging your document without your permission). Word does not define print properties at all, so all documents came to the printer designated as "Universal", making image orientation, rotation, and registration a crap-shoot.

So from a Word document I'd select File> Save As > Save As Type > select PDF > Options > Print Options > Size: select print size > Orientation: set orientation (portrait or landscape) > Media Type: select media type > OK > OK > Save.

I'd imagine that you'd have menu options to set print properties from Adobe Acrobat Professional. If you only have Reader, I think you can select a PDF converter from your print drivers like Cute PDF, then define your print properties.

Maybe there's somebody here that is a little more knowledgeable about Adobe Acrobat?
=^..^=

rspicer
06-13-2020, 12:30 AM
Just to add, I went back there this afternoon and updated the firmware (new firmware just released last week), but it made no difference.
The tray settings on the machine for that drawer are plain paper, 11x17. There are 4 paper drawers, but the other 3 are for various types of letter paper. The driver is also set to plain 11x17.
The documents were originally created as 22x36, then emailed to the customer. He saved them to his computer and resizes them with the print driver to 11x17. What confuses me is if you save the document to a USB drive and plug it into the copier, it prints ok. What is the internal driver on the machine doing that the driver on his computer is not?

blackcat4866
06-13-2020, 01:05 AM
Just to add, I went back there this afternoon and updated the firmware (new firmware just released last week), but it made no difference.
The tray settings on the machine for that drawer are plain paper, 11x17. There are 4 paper drawers, but the other 3 are for various types of letter paper. The driver is also set to plain 11x17.
The documents were originally created as 22x36, then emailed to the customer. He saved them to his computer and resizes them with the print driver to 11x17. What confuses me is if you save the document to a USB drive and plug it into the copier, it prints ok. What is the internal driver on the machine doing that the driver on his computer is not?

Were I to guess, the document size can be reduced to ledger, but the Print Properties may still be set to 22x36. Or could it be ANSI D: 22" x 34"? =^..^=

bilyahn
06-13-2020, 11:29 AM
PDFs have a print feature that allows the document to choose the paper size. You have to uncheck this box in the print driver, not sure why but some PDFs have this box checked by default. Doesn't matter what you tell the print driver if this box is checked the document will override the settings. Used to be real easy to find but with the new interface you have to get to the actual print driver interface to find it. Have had this issue a lot.

Good luck

Bil

blackcat4866
06-13-2020, 12:59 PM
As a side note, I've noticed that when printing directly from the USB port, the printer will reduce/enlarge any document size even crazy large like Architectural F to suite the available paper size. =^..^=

spanky
06-15-2020, 01:16 PM
If you look closely at the settings in the printer settings of the copier, you will see that the setting for the 11X17 paper is backwards.

It sets the 11X17 to print on A3 paper.

rspicer
06-15-2020, 08:53 PM
You are so right Spanky! I did not read that one close enough. I thought it would resize the document to the paper size available. Nope, it takes all 12x18 and 11x17 print jobs and converts them to A3.
Anyway, I turned off that feature, and it stopped asking for A3, but was still having problems fitting the image correctly on the paper. I went with the old standby of setting "print as image" in the advanced printing window. Now it does just what it's supposed to do. After thinking about it, it makes sense. The Canon driver renders the image in the computer before sending it to the machine, whereas the Sharp driver does not. That was the difference.
Thanks to everyone for giving me tips and advice.

jon jennings
06-15-2020, 09:25 PM
Go into printer settings and uncheck "print ledger as A3"

copiertec
06-15-2020, 11:41 PM
In printing preferences, under the paper tab. Can you go into zoom settings and choose fit to paper?

mojorolla
06-17-2020, 05:54 PM
Printing works on a hierarchy system.
1. the file/program is the King
2. the print driver settings are the Queen
3. the machine settings are the Jack

In other words....if the job is built as a specific size, it will always want that specific size, no matter what you tell the print driver.
When I was a full time trainer, I would design documents as an odd size AND tell it to pull from a specific tray. I always got a kick out of watching tech heads explode during this part of my training.
If you are having print issues, start with the file or program it came from.
With PDF files, there are several options ( choose paper source by file size, fit to page) that can resolve these issues.

Custom Search