PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Konica Minolta Bizhub 554e Nasty Grinding noise.

Custom Search

narellano2
06-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Hello,

Just a little background on me. I am currently a Level 1 IT Technician. My skill set working with printers and copiers isn't the most in depth.I can change out rollers, fusers, ITB's, Drum units...basics maintenance stuff.

So the issue I have with the konica is it makes a really loud grinding noise, it sounds like its coming from the area where the toners are installed. The issues started around the time I installed a new Image transfer belt.

The prints do go through but the print quality is blurry. I also did notice inside the side door area; there is quite a bit of magenta toner residue. None of the gears or rollers seem stuck, and I have applied lubricant.

Any troubleshooting tips? :(

heres a video of the issue YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwYUHtxOII)

Synthohol
06-18-2020, 10:56 PM
can you record and post the sound?
toner can backup in the waste tube from the belt ruining the belt, easy clean though.
why was the belt replaced? did it reach EOL or failed to clean itself.

so many possibilities to speculate. i really think a recording audio or video may help some of us experienced techs.

srvctec
06-18-2020, 10:57 PM
Well, NEVER EVER apply lubricant to anywhere near where toner is in a machine.

wjurls
06-18-2020, 11:02 PM

THIS!!

narellano2
06-18-2020, 11:07 PM

I did not apply lubricant to those gears. :)

narellano2
06-18-2020, 11:12 PM
can you record and post the sound?
toner can backup in the waste tube from the belt ruining the belt, easy clean though.
why was the belt replaced? did it reach EOL or failed to clean itself.

so many possibilities to speculate. i really think a recording audio or video may help some of us experienced techs.

Sure thing. YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnwYUHtxOII)

So i replaced it because it did reach its EOL, and prints had blotches.

Synthohol
06-18-2020, 11:53 PM
great vid!
that sounds to me like the transfer belt waste auger gears skipping.
when you open the front door and... hang on, ill get a diagram.
ok, in blue is where i believe the noise to come from.
the parts in red can be cleaned easily in place or removed.
it's probably packed with toner.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/45957d1592520792-konica-minolta-bizhub-554e-nasty-grinding-noise-1wt-jpg

narellano2
06-19-2020, 12:06 AM
great vid!
that sounds to me like the transfer belt waste auger gears skipping.
when you open the front door and... hang on, ill get a diagram.
ok, in blue is where i believe the noise to come from.
the parts in red can be cleaned easily in place or removed.
it's probably packed with toner.
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/45957d1592520792-konica-minolta-bizhub-554e-nasty-grinding-noise-1wt-jpg

Great! Thank you for that information and Diagram. I will check out that area in red, and try to get it cleaned out!

Synthohol
06-19-2020, 01:19 AM
if you pull the transfer belt out by 6" there is only 1 screw to remove the chute and clean it out.

narellano2
06-19-2020, 04:43 AM
if you pull the transfer belt out by 6" there is only 1 screw to remove the chute and clean it out.

Sweet I will give that a shot tomorrow and update you how it goes!

narellano2
06-19-2020, 10:15 PM

So I cleaned out the augur and chute, and the noise is gone! Hopefully it doesn't clog anymore.

The print quality still isn't the best, with all color prints coming out with a blue horizontal streak at the bottom.

No surprise as the transfer belt is a bit scuffed up. Will need to get a new one at some point.

tsbservice
06-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Great!
Would be nice to contribute to this marvelous site.

narellano2
06-23-2020, 04:35 PM

Hello, So unfortunately the grinding noise is back. So cleaning out the augur on the transfer belt only helped out shortly.

The chute you mention here, is it on the transfer belt itself?

tsbservice
06-23-2020, 05:17 PM
Nope it is on the machine side, just like Synthohol told you.

narellano2
06-23-2020, 05:20 PM
Nope it is on the machine side, just like Synthohol told you.

Machine side. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. Appreciate it.

tsbservice
06-23-2020, 05:31 PM
Machine side. Got it. Thanks for clearing that up. Appreciate it.

See item 11(1-2-3-4-5) screw a
Should pay attention how to put it back correctly.

narellano2
06-23-2020, 09:50 PM
See item 11(1-2-3-4-5) screw a
Should pay attention how to put it back correctly.

I was able to get that chute off and it was packed tightly with toner, cleaned it out and seems to be running again with no grinding.

Thanks for all the help.

srvctec
06-23-2020, 10:25 PM
I was able to get that chute off and it was packed tightly with toner, cleaned it out and seems to be running again with no grinding.

Thanks for all the help.

Might have been caused by an incorrectly installed or defective waste toner box. Maybe it was installed in such a manner as to not engage the shutter to open the chute and allow toner to fall into the waste box. I've seen it happen more than once over the years on various models.

Phil B.
06-23-2020, 10:28 PM

Thanks for all the help.

Synth is a GREAT tech... he gave you two things to address .. I guess you'll remember this the next time... It'll save you time - money - aggravation.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

narellano2
06-23-2020, 10:53 PM
Might have been caused by an incorrectly installed or defective waste toner box. Maybe it was installed in such a manner as to not engage the shutter to open the chute and allow toner to fall into the waste box. I've seen it happen more than once over the years on various models.

Oh good to know. what about if the transfer belt wasn't installed properly? Because pretty much around that same time I switched it out; that's when the issues started. I'm thinking it wasn't flush when I first installed it.

narellano2
06-23-2020, 10:54 PM
Synth is a GREAT tech... he gave you two things to address .. I guess you'll remember this the next time... It'll save you time - money - aggravation.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

Yes, I am glad i opened a thread on this site. You have all been great.

learning a lot about these machines

Thank you

femaster
06-24-2020, 05:50 PM
Oh good to know. what about if the transfer belt wasn't installed properly? Because pretty much around that same time I switched it out; that's when the issues started. I'm thinking it wasn't flush when I first installed it.

If the chute was plugged, your problem is most likely resolved. About the only other thing I can think of that I have seen is if the tab on the shutter for the transfer belt cleaning unit is broken off, the shutter won't open when you install the belt. The toner will eventually build up in the cleaning unit leading to the same grinding noise and problem you had.

tech51
06-24-2020, 07:13 PM
One other thing to check is the waste box.

I’ve had the gear fall off before now.

Also if the gear is there, rotate it and look into the opening that matches up with the chute.

You should see a paddle going up and down which draws toner into the box and is connected to an auger that distributes the toner evenly in the box.

If that’s not moving something’s broken in the box and it will need replacing.

Hope this helps..

Custom Search