PDA

View Full Version : C654 network port issue.

Custom Search

JimmyT
06-29-2020, 04:54 AM
Hi everyone,

So I got a c654 whose network port doesn't light up at all. I've changed the cable and plug it to a different port, no changes. Odd thing is when I restart the machine, the network port light up for a while (while connected, it won't if it wasn't connected) before light out again.

It is a hardware issue or is there something in the network cause the problem?

The problem occurs after the network administrator did some changes to the network. There is another c654 in the network but it's running fine.

Also, assuming it is the network port problem, is there alternative solution besides replacing the board itself? Cuz the replacement board comes from another machine and I doubt I can just replace it just like that without certain procedure.

qbert69
06-29-2020, 05:12 AM
Hi everyone,

So I got a c654 whose network port doesn't light up at all. I've changed the cable and plug it to a different port, no changes. Odd thing is when I restart the machine, the network port light up for a while (while connected, it won't if it wasn't connected) before light out again.

The problem occurs after the network administrator did some changes to the network. There is another c654 in the network but it's running fine.

Also, assuming it is the network port problem, is there alternative solution besides replacing the board itself? Cuz the replacement board comes from another machine and I doubt I can just replace it just like that without certain procedure.You should be able to do a network settings initialization either in the administrative mode at the panel or in service mode. A KM Tech would be knowledgeable about how to do this which would clear all the network settings & put the machine in a DHCP mode until you change it to static.[emoji41][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

JimmyT
06-29-2020, 05:57 AM
You should be able to do a network settings initialization either in the administrative mode at the panel or in service mode. A KM Tech would be knowledgeable about how to do this which would clear all the network settings & put the machine in a DHCP mode until you change it to static.[emoji41][emoji1303]

Hmm, I tried set to dhcp and reenable in admin mode. No joy.

I give a try and see if it works. It didn't occur to me to initialise in service mode. 😅

Bix
06-29-2020, 07:50 AM
Hi, you could try to connect directly with your PC. Make sure that the network administrator has not turned on the PoE switch power or any problem with the switch that does not allow DHCP.

fatduke
06-29-2020, 08:11 AM
Hi everyone,

Also, assuming it is the network port problem, is there alternative solution besides replacing the board itself? Cuz the replacement board comes from another machine and I doubt I can just replace it just like that without certain procedure.

Hi man,

a question.

Did you reset default settings on the machine?

Maybe LAN section and obviuously DHCP and so on, is not turned on. Check in Service mode first

Cheers

copier tech
06-29-2020, 09:23 AM
Hi everyone,

"The problem occurs after the network administrator did some changes to the network"

Surely this is the issue not the device!?

Connect your laptop up directly to the copier with a patch or crossover cable can you connect to the copier this way?

JimmyT
06-29-2020, 01:40 PM
Okay, so.... as @qbert69 had mentioned I ended up go back into the service mode and do initialise on network settings and after I power cycle it, it works! Oddly enough, I'm not sure what triggers the problem.

Initially I also though it wasn't the device issue since the machine is fine and all until some changes is made on the network. Oddly enough after I check out all the settings on the copier (ip address, dns, etc.) Everything checks out, then I noticed the light is out on the network port and begin to suspect wiring issue, so I switch out new cable and get a cable long enough to reach server room (machine is right beside server room) and directly connect to the switch. Nothing happened.

I panicked and tried off and on via admin panel and it didnt work. Then I noticed that the light both orange and green/yellow turns on when Machines starts up then off again after like 5 seconds? So I I thought the network port is gone already. In the midst of that it didn't occur to me I should reset the network setting in service mode...good thing @qbert69 reminded me..😆

JimmyT
06-29-2020, 01:48 PM
"The problem occurs after the network administrator did some changes to the network"

Surely this is the issue not the device!?

Connect your laptop up directly to the copier with a patch or crossover cable can you connect to the copier this way?

I know right? No I didn't test out directly with laptop but since the copier is close by to the server room, i literally connect it direct to the switch as they have quite a few spare slot.

I only doing in hope to see a light blinking on the network switch or the network port on copier, so it could tell me to focus on the device itself or otherwise.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I should have done that first instead of jumping to conclusion....

qbert69
06-29-2020, 01:54 PM
I know right? No I didn't test out directly with laptop but since the copier is close by to the server room, i literally connect it direct to the switch as they have quite a few spare slot.

I only doing in hope to see a light blinking on the network switch or the network port on copier, so it could tell me to focus on the device itself or otherwise.Also, in the network settings on the MFP, check to see if the connection speed is set to 10/100/1000....I have had a machine NOT connect that was sitting directly below a GBe switch simply because the connection wanted to negotiate at the 1000 speed instead of the slower 10/100!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

JimmyT
06-29-2020, 02:23 PM
Also, in the network settings on the MFP, check to see if the connection speed is set to 10/100/1000....I have had a machine NOT connect that was sitting directly below a GBe switch simply because the connection wanted to negotiate at the 1000 speed instead of the slower 10/100!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

Right! I should keep that in mind. That could be the reason as well.

emujo2
06-29-2020, 03:18 PM
The NIC is protected against surges. if it took a hit you would see symptoms like this..Once an active cable is plugged in you should see activity regardless is actual communicaiton is happening. If you don't get any activity plugged into a known working laptop then you may have to replace the system board. E

copyman
06-29-2020, 06:25 PM
I lost four C654's in one building to surge from lightning storm. Funny thing is they all were on the good big square surge protectors! Problem was only the power cord was protected. They didn't have the net & phone cables plugged into the surge protector. Surge went through the net cables. Could copy but no print or scan. I believe the net port activity lights were on with at least one of the machines but not all and the MFP boards were bad. All repaired by Hytec dealers services and all working great again.

Just a side note, 3 other machines on same network did not get damaged. One with no surge protector at all! Their IT people now have all the machines utilizing the surge protectors with ALL cables going through them.

Phil B.
06-29-2020, 06:30 PM
I lost four C654's in one building to surge from lightning storm. Funny thing is they all were on the good big square surge protectors! Problem was only the power cord was protected. They didn't have the net & phone cables plugged into the surge protector. Surge went through the net cables. Could copy but no print or scan. I believe the net port activity lights were on with at least one of the machines but not all and the MFP boards were bad. All repaired by Hytec dealers services and all working great again.

Just a side note, 3 other machines on same network did not get damaged. One with no surge protector at all! Their IT people now have all the machines utilizing the surge protectors with ALL cables going through them.

these are GREAT surge units... some have RJ45 & phone all outlets (115v) are surge protected ... the mini's are good for stand alone MFP's .. they

DO have a warranty with repair/replacement clauses .

ESP Digital QC Surge Protectors - Syratec (https://shop.syratec.com/collections/esp-digital-qc)

tsbservice
06-29-2020, 06:35 PM

Yea I remember you posted about this situation with several machines failed NIC on MFP boards. Just waited for you to come and tell him from experience.

blackcat4866
06-29-2020, 11:32 PM
I think I'd check for a duplicate IP. And definitely try connecting directly to the laptop. I've seem machines lose network connection because of dupes, and power issues. =^..^=

srvctec
07-07-2020, 09:22 PM

I had a full contract customer with a C284e that had a surge protector provided by us and all cords plugged in protecting everything (fax, network and power) when we set it up. They decided to move the machine and that the box wasn't needed in the new location in another building but left it by the machine (go figure!). Lighting storm took out the machine via the network cable and they were whining about having to pay for it. I explained that had you left all the cables plugged into the surge protector, the machine most likely would still be working. Charged them something around $1600 for everything, including another trip back for other related issues. They lost all their computers and internet modem in the same storm so they just filed an insurance claim anyway.

srvctec
07-10-2020, 05:36 PM
You should be able to do a network settings initialization either in the administrative mode at the panel or in service mode.

Just thought I'd give kudos to this advice. We had a C654 in our sister company's office that we consolidated last December and brought all their people and equipment into our offices. Just prior to that transition there was a huge lightening storm and the C654 wouldn't print. I went over and investigated but there were no network lights at the port, although the machine worked fine in every other way. We just swapped out the machine with another used one we had and put the C654 in our shop in case anyone needed just a copier since we thought it needed a new MFPB.

After reading this thread a few days ago, I wondered if I could just initialize the network settings and get it to print again. I just did that and it works!! We had no idea one could fix this issue simply by clearing the network settings in service mode (we initialize everything in that same area of the service mode whenever we get in used machines from customers). I've replaced more than one MFPB on this and the e series with the exact same symptoms, always under warranty but still costs time to deal with. Now, my go to solution will be to try this first and see if it works. Nothing to lose and lots of time and headache of board replacement to save.

Weird that it makes the LAN LEDs not light up when something like this happens. I wonder if the surge just scrambles everything in the network portion of the MFPB and makes it seem dead.

Synaux
07-13-2020, 02:08 AM
After reading this thread, it occurred to me that I have not seen anything on these models for NVram initialize/NIC settings reset like on the older series.

Do that FW exist for these models or was that scrapped?

Synthohol
07-13-2020, 04:09 AM
initialize has been around for a while in service mode.
the 552_652 had network initialize if thats what you mean?

Synaux
07-15-2020, 10:09 PM
initialize has been around for a while in service mode.
the 552_652 had network initialize if thats what you mean?

I am not sure about the x52 series but there was a Special Firmware for some older models that you would load on a CF card which had two options for "NVram initialize" or "NIC settings reset."

I am assuming that KM is not doing this anymore after finding no mention of it in the Active Solutions & Service Manual.

Custom Search