PDA

View Full Version : Konica Minolta c554e Print quality issues

Custom Search

narellano2
06-29-2020, 10:54 PM
Hello,

So I was having some print quality issues with this machine. I swapped out the ITB and put in new drums but the issues still remains. I didn't get a chance to try swapping out the Toner yet (need to order). Any other possibilities that can cause this?

Thank you

blackcat4866
06-29-2020, 10:58 PM
It looks like cyan and black developing to me. =^..^=

copyman
06-29-2020, 11:09 PM
One of the developers dumped. Take the drums out and look at dev units and you will see one or more of them has little developer on mag roller. Most likely black. Search this forum about "4" series dev dumping

narellano2
06-29-2020, 11:54 PM
Thank you both! I will look into getting a new developing unit.

blackcat4866
06-29-2020, 11:56 PM
Inspect the developer brush on each developing roller. There shouldn't be any bare spots. =^..^=

narellano2
06-30-2020, 12:00 AM
Inspect the developer brush on each developing roller. There shouldn't be any bare spots. =^..^=

Thank you for that info! I will check that out.

EarthKmTech
06-30-2020, 12:36 AM
before installing the new developing unit, make sure to vacuum all the suction ports at the back of the machine and replace the toner filter. Also replace the relevent drum unit of the stripped developer. With the suction ports ensure the spnge gaskets are not deformed on any as if there is suction leakage the issue will return in short order and cyan will be the first to die.

I also set (in particular cyan) tcr value to minus 1 or 2.

The cyan developing unit has also been revised to reduce the incidence and identified by a black dot on its barcode sticker.

Moral of the story, if developer suction is lost due to the port being blocked with toner, cyan toner starts puffing off the dev roller contaminating the charge section of the drum, (because of the ozone suction) the machine over compensates for loss of image density and strips the developer. Same thing applies to c754e engine.

narellano2
06-30-2020, 06:45 PM
before installing the new developing unit, make sure to vacuum all the suction ports at the back of the machine and replace the toner filter. Also replace the relevent drum unit of the stripped developer. With the suction ports ensure the spnge gaskets are not deformed on any as if there is suction leakage the issue will return in short order and cyan will be the first to die.

I also set (in particular cyan) tcr value to minus 1 or 2.

The cyan developing unit has also been revised to reduce the incidence and identified by a black dot on its barcode sticker.

Moral of the story, if developer suction is lost due to the port being blocked with toner, cyan toner starts puffing off the dev roller contaminating the charge section of the drum, (because of the ozone suction) the machine over compensates for loss of image density and strips the developer. Same thing applies to c754e engine.

I will order a new toner filter also.

Oh Okay great information. I am a bit of a novice here so forgive me; but the suction ports are in the back of the machine where the vents are? The toner filter is in that area as well?

copyman
06-30-2020, 08:00 PM
Do you have the service manual showing where parts are? Many here including myself don't mind helping "novices" or "end users" to a certain point but when the poster asks where things are located not sure about the others but it makes me think twice about how much futher to go. Don't take it the wrong way, it's more for someone not causing damage to machine or themselves (high-voltage!)

You should be able to find serv manual online if you don't have it. The answers you got from myself and others will definitely solve your issue.

narellano2
06-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Do you have the service manual showing where parts are? Many here including myself don't mind helping "novices" or "end users" to a certain point but when the poster asks where things are located not sure about the others but it makes me think twice about how much futher to go. Don't take it the wrong way, it's more for someone not causing damage to machine or themselves (high-voltage!)

You should be able to find serv manual online if you don't have it. The answers you got from myself and others will definitely solve your issue.

Hello copyman,

So unfortunately I do not have a service manual and i've tried to search online to no avail.
Matter fact, any information on the konica c554e has been difficult to find more advanced troubleshooting
issues. Thats what led me to create an account on this forum out of desperation of sorts. Its been great so far!
Learning alot about these machines. But yea i think ill keep the more novice questions for myself
and just figure it out on my own. I see that this community has alot of pros and i dont mean to
bog it down with newby questions.

Phil B.
06-30-2020, 08:31 PM
Hello copyman,

So unfortunately I do not have a service manual and i've tried to search online to no avail.
Matter fact, any information on the konica c554e has been difficult to find more advanced troubleshooting
issues. Thats what led me to create an account on this forum out desperation of sorts. Its been great so far!
Learning alot about these machines. But yea i think ill keep the more novice questions for myself
and just figure it out on my own. I see that this community has alot of pros and i dont mean do
bog it down with newby questions.

we have great guys here that are willing to help... try posting a manual request in this forum: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/service-manual-requests/

also if you have a Contributor Badge on your profile you usually get better info/service. https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/vbdonate.php?do=donate

Your contribution goes to the upkeep of CopyTechNet and doesn't go to a user or his affiliated company.

narellano2
06-30-2020, 09:50 PM
we have great guys here that are willing to help... try posting a manual request in this forum: https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/service-manual-requests/

also if you have a Contributor Badge on your profile you usually get better info/service. https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/vbdonate.php?do=donate

Your contribution goes to the upkeep of CopyTechNet and doesn't go to a user or his affiliated company.

Sweet. Thanks for that info.

I'd be happy to contribute.

copyman
06-30-2020, 09:51 PM
I use to ask for someone to make a donation to this website before sending a manual but since there is no moderation on this forum I stopped doing that. PM me and will send it to you. If you want to make a small donation that is up to you.

femaster
07-01-2020, 12:00 AM

Oh Okay great information. I am a bit of a novice here so forgive me; but the suction ports are in the back of the machine where the vents are? The toner filter is in that area as well?

The ports and vent tubes are inside the copier, behind the Drum and Development units. Take a look at Page 3 of the PDF file attached to THIS POST (Click) (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/148917-missing-developer-bizhub-364e-post1502352.html#post1502352), and you will be able to see what they look like. Normally you would use a special toner vacuum to suck the excess toner out, but I'm guessing you don't have access to one. Don't use like a shop vac or similar, you need something with some sort of HEPA filter, or you will end up blowing toner everywhere in the room. It's very messy, and whatever you use will need a thorough cleaning afterward.

The filter will be on the back side of the copier and have a finger grip allowing you to just pull it out.

Oystercopy
07-01-2020, 12:58 AM
I've had this issue quite a few times on the 4 series now.. has happened to multiple color units, but the worst recurring one was black. It has NEVER ONCE been a clogged toner hopper, as others have stated, at least for me. My understanding is that there is some kind of HVT problem that leaks the bias voltage and allows all the developer to be pulled out of the unit. Put a brand new unit in the first several times we saw it, and a few weeks later, we were called back out for the same thing and the machine simply pulled the developer out of that particular unit again... Replacing black units was not that big of a deal, but when it happens to a color unit, those things are $600 and too expensive to mess around with. I crunched the numbers and it was cheaper to give the customer a different machine, in the long run. On the machines I was having this problem with, I never did get to try the HVT mod that was suggested, but I think the information to fix it came from Hytec, not even a KM bulletin...

Hope this helps,
OC

narellano2
07-01-2020, 04:14 AM
The ports and vent tubes are inside the copier, behind the Drum and Development units. Take a look at Page 3 of the PDF file attached to THIS POST (Click) (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/148917-missing-developer-bizhub-364e-post1502352.html#post1502352), and you will be able to see what they look like. Normally you would use a special toner vacuum to suck the excess toner out, but I'm guessing you don't have access to one. Don't use like a shop vac or similar, you need something with some sort of HEPA filter, or you will end up blowing toner everywhere in the room. It's very messy, and whatever you use will need a thorough cleaning afterward.

The filter will be on the back side of the copier and have a finger grip allowing you to just pull it out.

I don't have one but i'm going to invest in one and get those vent tubes cleaned out.

narellano2
07-01-2020, 04:23 AM
I've had this issue quite a few times on the 4 series now.. has happened to multiple color units, but the worst recurring one was black. It has NEVER ONCE been a clogged toner hopper, as others have stated, at least for me. My understanding is that there is some kind of HVT problem that leaks the bias voltage and allows all the developer to be pulled out of the unit. Put a brand new unit in the first several times we saw it, and a few weeks later, we were called back out for the same thing and the machine simply pulled the developer out of that particular unit again... Replacing black units was not that big of a deal, but when it happens to a color unit, those things are $600 and too expensive to mess around with. I crunched the numbers and it was cheaper to give the customer a different machine, in the long run. On the machines I was having this problem with, I never did get to try the HVT mod that was suggested, but I think the information to fix it came from Hytec, not even a KM bulletin...

Hope this helps,
OC

Yikes. I really hope that's not the case here. Actually on this same machine i had an issue where the toner chute got clogged up causing the transfer belt waste auger gears to skip. I have a thread about it here Konica Minolta Bizhub 554e Nasty Grinding noise. (https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/konica-minolta/149030-konica-minolta-bizhub-554e-nasty-grinding-noise.html)Could that cause a Dev dump also?

femaster
07-01-2020, 04:27 AM
I don't have one but i'm going to invest in one and get those vent tubes cleaned out.

If you can find a unit with this attachment right here...
That's my favorite. It has a long reach, can get into tight spaces, and is stiff yet flexible enough to get it just where you need it.

copyman
07-01-2020, 04:55 AM
I've had your exact issue at least 20 times, I call it the dev white lines of death. Never once has it been a high voltage issue. It has always been an overlife drum of same color as bad dev unit or even a different color overlife drum causing the short and dev dump. I guess you could call it a high voltage short, but my point was i never had to replace any HV parts, wires, etc. I service at least 100 of the "4" series and this has been my experience.

Like I mentioned in previous post "any overlife consumable, including transfer belt can cause ANY other dev unit to dump!"

If you search this forum as I suggested you will even see how you can save a lot of money using a lot less expensive black dev unit for any color. You can turn black into a color unit and save around $300!

Oystercopy
07-01-2020, 02:41 PM
I've had your exact issue at least 20 times, I call it the dev white lines of death. Never once has it been a high voltage issue. It has always been an overlife drum of same color as bad dev unit or even a different color overlife drum causing the short and dev dump. I guess you could call it a high voltage short, but my point was i never had to replace any HV parts, wires, etc. I service at least 100 of the "4" series and this has been my experience.

Like I mentioned in previous post "any overlife consumable, including transfer belt can cause ANY other dev unit to dump!"

If you search this forum as I suggested you will even see how you can save a lot of money using a lot less expensive black dev unit for any color. You can turn black into a color unit and save around $300!

Interesting... I've had many over life components in my machines and only a handful of them ever pulled developer out of a unit... I run my machines to the very end of the transfer belt life and the drum life and I've never had a developer pulling problem but about four machines five maybe.

I certainly have had the transfer belt lock up because of that waste tube in the front of the machine clogging up, but that was mostly on the c360 series.

And how do you turn a black unit into a color without buying an aftermarket developer product? Or is that what you're talking about?

copier tech
07-01-2020, 03:10 PM

See this bulletin for more info the service manual is not much help for this issue.

narellano2
07-09-2020, 07:05 PM
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. So I was able to finally work on this machine. I cleaned out the ports in the back, they honestly didn't look to bad. I swapped out the dev units for both the cyan and black as well as new drum units.
So the print quality is much better now. Unfortunately, I am now getting c-2557 errors now after a few prints go through.

searching the forum it seems like that error could be quite a number of things.

copier tech
07-09-2020, 08:08 PM
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. So I was able to finally work on this machine. I cleaned out the ports in the back, they honestly didn't look to bad. I swapped out the dev units for both the cyan and black as well as new drum units.
So the print quality is much better now. Unfortunately, I am now getting c-2557 errors now after a few prints go through.

searching the forum it seems like that error could be quite a number of things.

Low black density, the most likely cause is the white bushing on the front of the hopper clogged up.

Modified part number is A5C1RA0000 - Bushing

Custom Search