PDA

View Full Version : KM c754 & Fiery IC-414 print jobs never print (REPOST, 'print' forum quirk)

Custom Search

vertigosystems
07-24-2020, 08:16 PM
This is a repost from a few minutes ago because I just discovered the "printable view" nuisance :rolleyes:. Mods feel free to delete the old one, since I can't seem to.

Reply to qbert69: yes, Image Controller 1 is selected in setup

Just completed an install of a used fiery ic-414 into a c754, did a full software reset on the fiery with v 1.2R, applied all available patches, and reflashed all c754 firmware (although I should probably try to locate the newest, as this is launch version).
KM hdd was also replaced and had a logical format done. The KM SSD was checked and is OK. Printer and fiery both had ram upgrades installed, but the behavior is the same with stock ram.

If I send print jobs via USB or direct network, print jobs will complete normally. Copies work normally.
When a print job is sent to the fiery, the KM flashes to indicate it's receiving data, but in the job list, it never proceeds past the "Receiving" no matter how long it's left for.
I can cancel the print job and it will cancel, so communication between fiery and printer seems to be ok, but it looks like the ripped data is not making it to the printer.

Same result for printing PCL/PS test pages from the fiery, so it'll send notice about the print job, but never deliver the data.

Is there any diagnostics that can be run on the IC414 imaging card? I'm not sure, but I assume the ripped data is delivered to the printer via that card rather than over the network connection to the fiery.

Possible related symptoms: If the printer is totally idle, the screen will go off and there's nothing short of turning off the main power switch to get the screen back on, if I leave it with the print job trying to be processed by the fiery, the screen will not go out and continues responding normally.

Synthohol
07-24-2020, 10:38 PM
what does it say in command workstation? can you send a job from CWS?
did you properly use LPR and Print as the queue name in the fiery printer port properties? (dont use raw 9100, thats rookie)
did you print a config page from the fiery and browse to that IP and see the fiery web page?
are you using the crossover cable from fiery to copier or 2 separate connections?
in utility, system info is the IP 172.24.249.2 or similar? (that is correct, its not the true IP, just what is displayed so we know the fiery is communicating properly)
please be as detailed as possible as to what is done so far.
i eat fiery issues for breakfast, i love fiery!

vertigosystems
07-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Hopefully this makes a good meal for you, because I'm finding it more frustrating than overcooked eggs.
I'm not using a crossover cable, I'm using a standard ethernet cable, when I plugged in a crossover cable the link lights would both come on but the printer would never obtain an IP address from the fiery. With a standard ethernet cable, it does communicate with the fiery and display all of the status information from the printer such as toner levels and control panel errors.

And, Yes, that is the IP address that it pulls and assigns to the printer with the standard cable, so i know all the communication is ok between fiery and printer.

I've tried sending test pages directly from the printer control panel through the fiery panel, and from the command workstation in addition to attempting several normal print jobs directly through the fiery driver on a Windows machine and the print jobs get processed, the fiery will generate a thumbnail of the ripped data and then when it attempts to send it to the printer, the printer acknowledges that there is a incoming print job via flashing the incoming job lights, but on the job list, it stays on "receiving" 0/1 pages indefinitely.
In the command workstation, it says "waiting to print" in the print job status under the active queue as expected, but the job never clears.

The printer by itself, completely bypassing the fiery, does print either from a normal network connection, usb drive, or copy job, so that should rule out out any physical printer issues.
It seems like it gets notification of the print job, but never receives the data from the fiery.

I was going to try a serial console to the fiery and see if anything shows in there during the print job. I'm not sure what information is actually displayed over the serial port though.

I can view the fiery webpage, or at least could, after having done the clean software install on the fiery server, how ever after a hard power off to try tinkering with the image controller setting in service mode, the fiery now gives me an error 503 unavailable when trying to view the web page directly but it's still communicates with the command workstation perfectly fine. Ill check that again when i get on site, that 503 error could be java jre related since it's an older fiery it doesn't like the newer versions of java for displaying the webpage which are "high security" and jre gives a ton of are you sure?? prompts while trying to open the site directly from the fiery IP.

Synthohol
07-25-2020, 02:59 PM
does the copier have any over-life consumables currently?
import an image and process and hold. then click print.
log into the fiery as an admin save the config and try a factory reset, this is sounding like processing error.
worse comes to worse you can re-do system software. do you have another interface cable to try as well?

vertigosystems
07-25-2020, 04:29 PM
The system software was just redone, then the patches added because I replaced the HDD, the issue with printing existed before the replacement HDD though.
I do not have a replacement interface cable, unfortunately.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the print data travel over the interface cable directly to printer memory, or does the actual ripped data go through the network cable?
I've corrected the 503 error, it was just a windows firewall problem.

The fiery menu shows up on the info palette and is controllable from there, if I had to guess, based on the speed at which it updates that screen, that part is probably via the interface cable?
I'll run through and do the system restore one more time, although I'm pretty sure at this point it's likely the interface cable

Synthohol
07-25-2020, 06:19 PM
i asked about the consumables because i had one stop printing until the drum was replaced. then a dozen prints came out automatically.
just a wishful hunch.

vertigosystems
07-29-2020, 05:32 PM
i asked about the consumables because i had one stop printing until the drum was replaced. then a dozen prints came out automatically.
just a wishful hunch.

All the consumables except for the Cyan toner are newly replaced, and the Cyan has about 34% left in it.
Basically it's not really giving me much to go on as far as errors or anything else. I double checked the card, toned out the pins on the cable with a multimeter, and frustratingly, that's perfectly fine.

Is there any way to setup the system to have the printer use Image Controller 0 (internal) so I can print directly to it, but send heavy jobs to the fiery, download the ripped file and send it to the printer via the regular KM driver?
I don't know what kind of file the fiery produces, I assume a postscript file, which the KM unit should accept.

Synthohol
07-29-2020, 07:25 PM
The fiery is also a pass thru device. So you can set a print queue to the emperor controller using its IP and port 9100
And fiery has its own IP where you use LPR and Print as the queue name.
So yes.

Custom Search