PDA

View Full Version : KM bizhub C364e touch panel unresponsive

Custom Search

tsbservice
08-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Hi guys. Just fly over one C364e machine with touch panel completely unresponsive to touches. It goes to ready, it prints fine, buttons are working but touch not.
Strange thing is I went into SM via trouble reset door and touch worked perfectly. I saw a lot of C-FA14 errors in history and also one C-D411.
When I perform full self-diagnostic machine ended it with C-4091 which was recovered upon reboot.
I will try FW first but in your experience and wisdom where should I start with parts - Panel assembly, MFPB, interface cable, other?
Should I try calibration of panel via USB memory?

TIA

tsbservice
08-11-2020, 06:04 PM
Have a way to go thanks to talk with senior tech member of CTN. What if HDD started to act up, that would explain somehow why touch panel works in SM.
Next time would start doing Logical format and try to disconnect and disable HDD and see how it goes :)

blackcat4866
08-11-2020, 09:36 PM
I've only had two kinds of operation panel failures on the "e" series: catastrophic (i.e. fork lift though the screen), and bizarre (i.e. strange color palette, not changeable, but otherwise fully functional).

The catastrophic always requires panel replacement.
The bizarre may someday require a PRCB, but as long as it remains functional I'll leave it be.

=^..^=

tsbservice
08-11-2020, 10:00 PM
BC, thanks for your reply. It's not visually damaged but is fully inoperable in user mode.
They cannot scan or copy just print.

copyman
08-11-2020, 10:16 PM
Really a strange one. You would think if screen is bad it would never come on.

Definitely worth a shot to do touch panel adj by powering on machine with firmware USB in "service port" and hold down yellow reset while turning. Similar to trouble reset but the touch panel adjust screen will come on instead (hopefully). After touch panel adjustment the firmware screen will come up. You can exit at that point if firmware doesn't need to be upgraded.

You already know touch screen adj procedure but posted it for others as well.

Can't wait to hear what it was because I have over 100 of these I work on.

Good luck

srvctec
08-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Really a strange one. You would think if screen is bad it would never come on.

Definitely worth a shot to do touch panel adj by powering on machine with firmware USB in "service port" and hold down yellow reset while turning. Similar to trouble reset but the touch panel adjust screen will come on instead (hopefully). After touch panel adjustment the firmware screen will come up. You can exit at that point if firmware doesn't need to be upgraded.

You already know touch screen adj procedure but posted it for others as well.

Can't wait to hear what it was because I have over 100 of these I work on.

Good luck

What the heck?!! All I work on for decades is KM and I've never even heard of this touch panel adjust thing on these models (older ones, of course but they were resistive). I can't seem to find any info on it on KM's site, either. BUT, a quick search in the service manual and there it is. I've never had to replace a touch panel on any of the 4 series or newer so wasn't aware of it. Apparently there is another way to manually do the adjustment as well. From the SM:

(1) Touch panel calibration
• After replacing the control panel unit, you must perform the touch panel calibration.
Perform one of the calibration procedures described below.
(a) Panel Calibration by using USB memory
1. Connect the USB memory containing the MFP firmware data to the service port.
For information on how to store the firmware data into a USB memory, refer to “J.2. USB memory”.
2. While pressing the ‘Reset’ key, turn the main power switch ON.
3. As the calibration screen appears, press the Start key, perform calibration and wait for a while.
4. Confirm that the completion message. Touch [Close].
5. Turn OFF the main power switch, and remove the USB memory.
NOTE
• Once the panel calibration has been completed, panel screen transit to the firmware writing mode and start to update
automatically after 30 seconds.
(b) Panel Calibration by manual operation
1. Press [Menu] -> [Counter] -> [Display Keypad].
2. Press Stop -> Clear -> 1 -> 1 -> 6 -> 6 -> Start key, then calibration starts.
3. After 30 seconds, turn OFF the main power switch.

I learned something new which is what I love about this job!

tsbservice
08-14-2020, 06:30 PM
Hi guys and thanks all for the responses, much appreciated.
I somehow advanced on this bizarre problem now they can print and also copy but it's not fully fixed atm.
It bothers me utmost to solve this one as it's not common panel failure or something I ever heard of.
I will definitely follow up.

blazebusiness
08-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Hi guys and thanks all for the responses, much appreciated.
I somehow advanced on this bizarre problem now they can print and also copy but it's not fully fixed atm.
It bothers me utmost to solve this one as it's not common panel failure or something I ever heard of.
I will definitely follow up.

Would be nice if you had a machine you could pull a working control panel from and swap it out to see if that helps. That Control Panel Assembly is the same on all Bizhub C224e C284e C364e C454e C554e C654e C754e series copiers.

Swapping that panel would certainly confirm or eliminate it as the cause of the issue.

tsbservice
08-21-2020, 06:09 PM
Would be nice if you had a machine you could pull a working control panel from and swap it out to see if that helps. That Control Panel Assembly is the same on all Bizhub C224e C284e C364e C454e C554e C654e C754e series copiers.

Swapping that panel would certainly confirm or eliminate it as the cause of the issue.

Thanks blazebusiness. Unfortunately I haven't parts machine to steal from but may search for one.
Take care.

blazebusiness
08-21-2020, 06:57 PM
Thanks blazebusiness. Unfortunately I haven't parts machine to steal from but may search for one.
Take care.

Too bad you're not near San Diego, California....I'd give you one to try. We have a ton of used 4 series machines we use as rental copiers.

tsbservice
08-21-2020, 07:07 PM
Too bad you're not near San Diego, California....I'd give you one to try. We have a ton of used 4 series machines we use as rental copiers.

Thanks again. They're so good machines and I like to keep every single one working. Anyway much appreciated. I may work with some local friend techs toward finding parts.

blazebusiness
08-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Thanks again. They're so good machines and I like to keep every single one working. Anyway much appreciated. I may work with some local friend techs toward finding parts.

Agreed, great machines.....I am a big fan of the 4 series. They are a bit older now but they are keeping a lot of customers happy. They seem to perform better than the similar 8 series units we have placed.

tsbservice
08-21-2020, 07:29 PM
Agreed, great machines.....I am a big fan of the 4 series. They are a bit older now but they are keeping a lot of customers happy. They seem to perform better than the similar 8 series units we have placed.

Yes. With my 3 years experience with KM I think they're making pretty solid A3 office color machines.
8 series is good overall drums just don't last like 4e but that's understandable. I think C360 series footprint based machines are running very well up until now when new i series comes with a lot of questions. Even that said i series are blazing fast with SSD and 8Gb RAM it took me just one minute to update one from 7B to B5(from start pressed to reboot).

blazebusiness
08-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Yes. With my 3 years experience with KM I think they're making pretty solid A3 office color machines.
8 series is good overall drums just don't last like 4e but that's understandable. I think C360 series footprint based machines are running very well up until now when new i series comes with a lot of questions. Even that said i series are blazing fast with SSD and 8Gb RAM it took me just one minute to update one from 7B to B5(from start pressed to reboot).

Have not sold any i series units yet. What's your impression.......Do you like them?

tsbservice
08-21-2020, 07:52 PM
Have not sold any i series units yet. What's your impression.......Do you like them?

My honest opinion is based on fact I have very few in the field with low counts so mechanics and parts life are unknown. As for electronics I read guys here are having issues mainly with SSDs(probably cheep ones) , CPU boards. Baseboards = MFPB looks solid. Colors aren't. A lot of early FW issues but now they seems back to normal like on 8 series.

Albonline
08-21-2020, 07:53 PM

seems like they are built well, and as with all km new lines they have had some firmware issues.the b5 and gc1-7b firmware units are running rock solid here, with maketplace turned off.

mga
08-24-2020, 07:20 PM
Hi guys. Just fly over one C364e machine with touch panel completely unresponsive to touches. It goes to ready, it prints fine, buttons are working but touch not.
Strange thing is I went into SM via trouble reset door and touch worked perfectly. I saw a lot of C-FA14 errors in history and also one C-D411.
When I perform full self-diagnostic machine ended it with C-4091 which was recovered upon reboot.
I will try FW first but in your experience and wisdom where should I start with parts - Panel assembly, MFPB, interface cable, other?
Should I try calibration of panel via USB memory?

TIA

I had c308 would print touch screen work but home key and all hard keys not working no copy or scan problem was control panel I've heard to can be the reverse way as well screen not working but hard keys was

tsbservice
08-24-2020, 07:43 PM
I had c308 would print touch screen work but home key and all hard keys not working no copy or scan problem was control panel I've heard to can be the reverse way as well screen not working but hard keys was

Good info so bad touch can affect hard buttons or it will not work correctly like in my case?
I'm tempted to initialize all and format SSD but as they use it for print and copy only and it works that way for now. Have to wait a bit as initialize will wipe IP address and if I cannot input it manually via touch panel Admin settings they're probably going to try lynch me :cool:

tsbservice
10-08-2020, 05:27 PM
So I finally went to do some other ideas I have in mind. Did SSD format, HDD format, Initialize all...nothing changed as soon you push Home button display is freezing. So I was at loss but during my fiddle I somehow used hard keys below touch(3 hard keys one is for copy screen other scan/fax and third 10 keypad). As soon you push scan/fax hard key you can use touch as usually.
I setup on their PC scan folder and they can now scan. IP adrress was lost during initialize so I found new one in MML lists via CE mode. They are now copying, scanning and printing and don't want to pay for expensive parts to throw into machine and continue troubleshooting. For now will continue monitoring this machine closely.

Custom Search