PDA

View Full Version : C284e - unauthenticated airprint even with User Authentication is turned on

Custom Search

Phrag
08-20-2020, 02:43 AM
Having a minor issue at a school where some students seem to be using school issued iPads and printing uh.... questionable content to the Library printer while user authentication is enabled.

So while all the PC's require authentication by the students to use, it appears iPads are able to print to the Library printer without requiring authentication.

There is another printer nearby in another (science) block which does not have this issue. When devices send a print to that device in Science, airprint requests a username and password.

The firmware is up to date. We've compared settings in user Authentication and can't seem to find a discrepancy which allows Airprinting unfettered access, but obviously I'm missing something.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Synthohol
08-20-2020, 04:09 AM
check for allow print without authentication in admin mode
check for a filtered ip in admin mode.
had an as400 server that had to print without authentication (because it didnt know how to authenticate! stupid database.) so you enable it, add the IP, save then disable it but it kinda keeps allowing that IP to print even with authentication.
btw, in the filter you can add a range of IPs as well.
do some detective work, i love that stuff.

rrrohan
08-20-2020, 01:24 PM
Is AirPrint enabled

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Phrag
08-20-2020, 11:51 PM
I'll double check this. I compared the 2 devices and they all matched as far as I recall.

check for a filtered ip in admin mode.
In network settings or user authentication settings? There was an IP Filtering setting in User Auth but that was set to disable, same with the working device. Unless its supposed to be enabled?

had an as400 server that had to print without authentication (because it didnt know how to authenticate! stupid database.) so you enable it, add the IP, save then disable it but it kinda keeps allowing that IP to print even with authentication. btw, in the filter you can add a range of IPs as well.
I believe all the entries were 0.0.0.0 or blank in IP Filtering. But initially the IP Filtering was enabled on the non-working device (albeit with 0.0.0.0 in all fields)

Is AirPrint enabled
Correct.

copyrooks
08-21-2020, 12:02 AM
Try going to

Administrator settings/Network Settings/HTTP Server Settings/ IPP Authentication Set

I believe this where you can change the setting.

Phrag
08-21-2020, 12:52 AM
Try going to

Administrator settings/Network Settings/HTTP Server Settings/ IPP Authentication Set

I believe this where you can change the setting.

I'll pass this on and see how we go. I didn't think to look there. Cheers,

EarthKmTech
08-22-2020, 12:03 AM
I had something similiar to this in a small financial advisory firm.

Except the (racist and sexually explict) print jobs were originating from outside the organisation.

I was monitoring the network traffic and it happened while I was there. Initially i thought it was some virus on one of the computers. It turned out to be coming from overseas because someone had enabled port 9100 port forwarding from the outside world to the printers IP address on their isp managed ubiquti router. The scary thing is - no one, including the isp knew who did it and only they had the password. I found it by port scanning the customers external IP and saw it open, from my laptop via hospot to my phone. The isp didnt beleive me till i told them to port scan it in the same manner. All customer support requests are logged and there was no entry for anyone ever asking for this to be done. So take that as you will.

Still one of the stranges things I've encountered on the job.

Phrag
08-24-2020, 12:12 AM
I had something similiar to this in a small financial advisory firm.

Except the (racist and sexually explict) print jobs were originating from outside the organisation.

I was monitoring the network traffic and it happened while I was there. Initially i thought it was some virus on one of the computers. It turned out to be coming from overseas because someone had enabled port 9100 port forwarding from the outside world to the printers IP address on their isp managed ubiquti router. The scary thing is - no one, including the isp knew who did it and only they had the password. I found it by port scanning the customers external IP and saw it open, from my laptop via hospot to my phone. The isp didnt beleive me till i told them to port scan it in the same manner. All customer support requests are logged and there was no entry for anyone ever asking for this to be done. So take that as you will.

Still one of the stranges things I've encountered on the job.

Funny you mention that.

I had a similar issue where print jobs would come through in the small hours of the morning. 2,3 or 4am with text like "Why are we here?" in Courier font.

rrrohan
08-24-2020, 01:17 AM
Funny you mention that.

I had a similar issue where print jobs would come through in the small hours of the morning. 2,3 or 4am with text like "Why are we here?" in Courier font.

wonder if a lazy admin just put copier into a DMZ instead of configuring firewall

Phrag
08-24-2020, 01:57 AM

Print without Authentication is allowed for Full colour on this device.

But here's what's confusing me. The 284e next door also has print without authentication enabled, and still asks to authenticate on Apple devices... Which is what we want the C284e to do, so that's why the settings are mirrored.

I guess we could try setting it to disabled and hope that it doesn't break printing from all the public PC's the students use for printing.

rrrohan
08-24-2020, 04:51 AM
Are they both on latest firmware and function versions

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Custom Search