PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C360, white spots with fuzzy white lines on Magenta & Black lines at bottom

Custom Search

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 02:20 AM
Good Day Everyone

Background,: I'm helping assist a personally connected church to see what I can do to help them and their Bizhub that's having issues. They reported getting colors that weren't looking right and some black lines on the bottom of prints. I did some test prints to check it out and saw that only the Magenta was showing some issues outside of the black lines on the bottom that happens on all pages. Btw my bizhub knowledge is Novice rank :).

Model: Bizhub C360. Magenta Drum replaced 6 or so months ago.

Attached some images for reviewing, the Bizhub is feeding in long side of paper first (paper sitting in the tray as portrait). I noticed the black lines on the transfer belt when I opened it up after a print had completed. So I was thinking I'd have to replace the ITB to fix black lines.

I took out the magenta drum and the Developing unit, they looked okay. The developing unit looked dirty but nothing that looked like an issue (though Novice looking at it). I assume the lens are underneath the developing unit. Saw it didn't look intuitively accessible and stopped for the day as that started to get into the deeper parts of the printer that looked to me taking off more then a cover or part to reach.

After a while researching and learning about bizhub, I saw many Bizhub question here nothing that seemed to resemble attached issue. Figured I'd make a post, ain't gonna hurt except build up the Knowledge base here.

Any suggestions?

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 02:43 AM
Successfully attached photos, looks like size limits are in place (they were blocked when larger then 2MB.) resized them to lower bytes and Mission success. Makes sense I suppose Storage costs adds up over time for the Copytechnet site owners.

femaster
08-26-2020, 03:00 AM
Interesting looking magenta there. Do you know if the magenta drum that was put in was an OEM? I would start by swapping 2 of the color drums around. The 3 colors (not black) are 100% compatible, so you can swap the magenta with the cyan and see if the problem follows the drum. If it does, then you know it's a drum problem.

The stripes do look like an issue with the cleaning unit on the transfer belt. If the belt looks pretty scuffed up, I'd replace it. If it's not bad looking, it's possible that the streaking might just be something stuck in the cleaning blade of the unit. If you feel energetic, the cleaning unit should be removable with 2 screws if I remember correctly. It will be messy, so be prepared.

As for the glass you saw under the dev unit, this would be the laser glass, and in the C360 under each of the dev units you will see a square shaped white plastic rod sticking out, this is the handle for the laser glass cleaner. Not to be confused with the white plastic "flag" that sticks out of the drums, which cleans the charge coronas. It wouldn't hurt to slide all 8 of these (Flags and Rods) in and out a few times to clean things up.

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 03:45 AM
Interesting looking magenta there. Do you know if the magenta drum that was put in was an OEM? I would start by swapping 2 of the color drums around. The 3 colors (not black) are 100% compatible, so you can swap the magenta with the cyan and see if the problem follows the drum. If it does, then you know it's a drum problem.

The stripes do look like an issue with the cleaning unit on the transfer belt. If the belt looks pretty scuffed up, I'd replace it. If it's not bad looking, it's possible that the streaking might just be something stuck in the cleaning blade of the unit. If you feel energetic, the cleaning unit should be removable with 2 screws if I remember correctly. It will be messy, so be prepared.

As for the glass you saw under the dev unit, this would be the laser glass, and in the C360 under each of the dev units you will see a square shaped white plastic rod sticking out, this is the handle for the laser glass cleaner. Not to be confused with the white plastic "flag" that sticks out of the drums, which cleans the charge coronas. It wouldn't hurt to slide all 8 of these (Flags and Rods) in and out a few times to clean things up.

OEM for the drum. I did try sliding the white rods in and out. Did excessively for the magenta, saw "zero" change in the quality. So I assume that might rule out laser then(since I should of seen something change I imagine?). So, I will give the swapping the drums a shot, belt is pretty beat up and I think I'll lean towards avoiding a mess though(But I'll research up and see if the blade you referenced is accessible enough for me to try and clean a little). Thanks for above advice

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 04:00 AM
Weirdly that the white dots only appear on half of the test page and later dissipate when getting to right side. I also noticed they aren't on the bottom of the page. That's really weird. Well first thing is to swap drums as suggested. I'll also try to measure the distance of the white fuzzy line repeats also and check back while waiting to get off work to go visit location I'll see if I can google any further info as well before reporting back.

femaster
08-26-2020, 04:05 AM
OEM for the drum. I did try sliding the white rods in and out. Did excessively for the magenta, saw "zero" change in the quality. So I assume that might rule out laser then(since I should of seen something change I imagine?). So, I will give the swapping the drums a shot, belt is pretty beat up and I think I'll lean towards avoiding a mess though(But I'll research up and see if the blade you referenced is accessible enough for me to try and clean a little). Thanks for above advice

In order to check the blade, you will need to remove the transfer belt unit from the copier, it will be on the opposite end of the unit that you can see from the right side access door.

I've seen those tiny white dots before on some other B&W models, and replacement of the transfer belt had resolved them. My only issue with that theory, in your case, is that I would expect to see the dots on all the gradation pages you did. My only other thought might be that the roller behind the belt that corresponds to the magenta drum may have some sort of an issue, like the bushing it rides in broke on one end or something. I've only ever seen that happen once, quite some time ago, but I can't recall what the resulting output looked like from that.

For now, try the drums and see what happens. We can go from there. I'm sure by tomorrow, others will chime in with their thoughts.

copyman
08-26-2020, 04:53 AM
Sorry if I missed it. Did you look at the magenta developer unit mag roller to see if it dumped? And if those lines are black you need black drum. If the lines are gray / green color that is waste toner then look at transfer belt.

With lines at bottom of page you could feed paper in other direction and lines will be outside the print area. Always good to have an option even if only able to use B&W with paper in different direction "8.5 x 11R" until you figure it out.

tsbservice
08-26-2020, 05:03 AM
100% agree with femaster. Follow his advices he's top tech! I also think your problems are with ITB unit.

P.S.
Good first post.

Synaux
08-26-2020, 05:28 AM
100% agree with femaster. Follow his advices he's top tech! I also think your problems are with ITB unit.

P.S.
Good first post.
I did not read everything, but that is light damage to the drum.

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the posts, I'll check them out tomorrow evening. I work in another position and when I get off I'll review above, it's volunteer/charity based for me, likely won't be able to visit their location again till 4:00 CST. I did take some other pictures at the time but didn't want to flood with information on original post. The magenta drum looked okay previously that day and I rolled it to see all sides but didn't check black (doh). But good point on the colors of lines, My higher quality photo I couldn't upload for size limitation I checked seems to indicate that there might have been other colors faintly blended.

The Developing unit looked really messy :) (edit that's normal I bet), Pages never exhibit changes or any decline in magenta so looks to be dumping okay. Swapping Drums tomorrow (or "technically" later today with the time lol) and we'll let you know on waiting info.

tsbservice
08-26-2020, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the posts, I'll check them out tomorrow evening. I work in another position and when I get off I'll review above, it's volunteer/charity based for me, likely won't be able to visit their location again till 4:00 CST. I did take some other pictures at the time but didn't want to flood with information on original post. The magenta drum looked okay previously that day and I rolled it to see all sides but didn't check black (doh). But good point on the colors of lines, My higher quality photo I couldn't upload for size limitation I checked seems to indicate that there might have been other colors faintly blended.

The Developing unit mag roller looked really messy :), that might be normal for this model/brand maybe. Pages never exhibit changes or any decline in magenta so looks to be dumping okay. Swapping Drums tomorrow (or "technically" later today with the time lol) and we'll let you know, but just for all inclusive photo for first day.
From what I'm see now you really don't have magenta developer.

Firmaware
08-26-2020, 07:00 AM
Totally agree with Copyman... the developers are not good

Gesendet von meinem SM-G980F mit Tapatalk

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 07:33 AM
From what I'm see now you really don't have magenta developer.

I'm not sure I quite understand, are you saying that it's that bad? Cleaning Developer Unit - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCMphcBqdo) Haha! I assumed after watching this that that was the norm.

blackcat4866
08-26-2020, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure I quite understand, are you saying that it's that bad? Cleaning Developer Unit - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBCMphcBqdo) Haha! I assumed after watching this that that was the norm.

Definitely not the norm. You should have a nice "carpet" of developer across the developing roller. So you'll want the magenta developing unit.

The white spots indicate to me that the magenta developing roller has been arcing to the magenta drum. I'm thinking you'll need a magenta drum too.

And femaster is probably correct about primary transfer cleaning. Especially if the streaks are composite black (mixed of 4 colors). It should be obvious, even without removing the primary transfer belt. You'd see a streak of toner that wipes right off on the belt, as seen from the right side. Usually I have not had much luck with re-priming the primary transfer cleaning blade. Most likely you'll want a primary transfer belt unit also.

=^..^=

femaster
08-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Yeah, after seeing that development unit, I'll agree completely with the others; there is essentially nothing on the mag roller in the development unit, which means that something caused it to empty out. That is usually the sign of a bad drum. Since the current drum had been in there for 6 months, I'm going to guess that it wasn't the old drum that caused the issue, but was in fact the replacement.

You will definitely need to replace the magenta dev unit as others have said, and even though the magenta drum was recently replaced, you'll want to do it again otherwise you risk draining all the developer out of the new dev unit.

Pardon the mess in this post, it was sent using crappy Tapatalk app...

mayorg
08-26-2020, 07:38 PM
Change the DV unite it will 100% work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MitchHPprint
08-26-2020, 09:46 PM
I temp swapped the Yellow and Magenta Drums and there wasn't any change except then magenta faintly covered the whole page now(probably knocked some magenta toner loose in transfer, seemed less white spots in prints though.). Though I only performed 5 test page prints, at least it seemed to confirm dev unit since no change after 5 pages. Also I confirmed line issue was Transfer belt there was no lines on the black drum and the line did indeed have some other colors mixed in on page and ran up to blade.

So I informed them if they want to see fix (outside of any unknown issue were not aware of) a 1.)"A new Dev", 2.) "A new Magenta Drum; for future quality assurance" and then for the secondary dark lines at bottom of page issue a new 3.) "Transfer belt.

Btw I recommended ordering a Black drum for the drum portion(Dev is still magenta ordered). I saw the color drums were all twice the price! I'm assuming drums are universal? I noticed they had a yellow drum in there with a "K" sticker on it so figured that drums must be universal so no reason to not order the Magenta same way. went OEM for quality assurance (mostly due to age of printer model--don't want to get used parts).

Thanks Everyone for your assistance reviewing so I wasn't alone in my efforts, I'll definitely get a free pizza out of it so I'll take it. Be a while for parts to be ordered by them and for them to reach me back to come install, (shipping said 2 weeks) likely due to pandemic but I'd say I think were safe marking closure here.

femaster
08-27-2020, 07:01 AM
Btw I recommended ordering a Black drum for the drum portion(Dev is still magenta ordered). I saw the color drums were all twice the price! I'm assuming drums are universal? I noticed they had a yellow drum in there with a "K" sticker on it so figured that drums must be universal so no reason to not order the Magenta same way. went OEM for quality assurance (mostly due to age of printer model--don't want to get used parts).

You've covered all the parts that I would recommend at this point.

One note however... The Black drum will "fit" into a color slot just fine, BUT you MUST order a "Color Reset Chip" and replace the chip that comes on the black drum. The chip is not the same, and the copier will give you an error that an incorrect drum is installed. While I don't recommend it, you could use the chip from the original magenta drum, but this might cause issues with the new magenta dev unit. Chips shouldn't be more than about $10 on average, so I personally wouldn't take the chance of killing the very expensive dev unit ove an additional few $$s.

fornerm
02-16-2021, 07:59 AM
Hello,is there any result of troubleshooting? Machine is runing ?
mfg

blazebusiness
02-16-2021, 12:43 PM
Hello,is there any result of troubleshooting? Machine is runing ?
mfg
If you read through all the comments more carefully you will see that after troubleshooting the problem the magenta developer unit was the problem.

allan
02-16-2021, 07:44 PM
Magnet inside magroller sleeve moved...
Magr oller angle does cause this issue on these dev tanks.
Only had this issue by trying to rebuild devtanks.

mgakono
02-18-2021, 04:27 AM

The Developing unit looked really messy :) (edit that's normal I bet), Pages never exhibit changes or any decline in magenta so looks to be dumping okay. Swapping Drums tomorrow (or "technically" later today with the time lol) and we'll let you know on waiting info.

Had a similar case , but in my issue it was white lines on black only- and faint black prints. removed the developer unit, dumped old dev, put new dev, cleaned the drum unit coronas and the problem went away.
In the old dev idid notice tiny specs of white particles.i don't know if it was from paper or what.

Custom Search