PDA

View Full Version : Firmware issues

Custom Search

robinsonad86
09-04-2020, 02:34 PM
Hi all

Having issues upgrading firmware hoping someone here can shed some light. Have been doing KMs for nearly 10 years never really had any issues with firmware until now. I have 4 or 5 different sticks (Sandisk, Freecom and cheap pieces of crap) all of which have always worked for me in the past. I have been trying to upgrade 3 different c227 machines, the Sandisk stick hangs on 2 fins with the black dot in the corner, all the others dont even get recognised and boot up to the copy screen. I was thinking it could be a machine setting as all 3 machines came back from the same customer so I tried the Sandisk on a c308 exact same thing happens again hangs on 2 fins, Freecom boots to copy screen. Formatting to FAT32 and copying/dragging the FW000x folder into the root exactly as should be.

I have been formatting them on a windows 10 PC - never had problems on my old windows professional laptop so bringing that in to try on Monday - have also tried the ruffus software I have seen mentioned in another thread but still no joy. KM tech support in UK not had any reports of this anywhere else can only suggest running DiskPArt which again I'll do on Monday as no admin rights needed on that laptop. My gut feeling is its how 10 is formatting the USB or writing the firmware just wondering if anyone has seen and cured this before?

Thanks in advance

femaster
09-04-2020, 11:59 PM
Are you holding down the STOP key when you power up, and are you using the USB port on the right side of the operation panel when attempting the update? It might also be that firmware updates have been restricted. See procedure below. If the following doesn't work, try doing the update the same as below, but leave the front access door open during the procedure.

The procedure for both the C227 and C308 is the same:

Turn OFF the main power switch.
Connect the USB memory containing the firmware into the USB port on the right side of the control panel.
NOTE

USB memory must be connected with the main power switch off.

Turn the main power switch ON while pressing the Stop key.
NOTE

When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [USB Connection Permission setting] -> [External Memory (Service)] -> [FW Update] is set to "Restrict", a message "It is limited by the administrator." will appear, and update of the firmware cannot be executed.
When [Administrator Settings] -> [Security Settings] -> [FW Update (USB) Perm. Sett.] is set to "Password Priority", it requires to input a password after confirming with the administrator.

Firmware Update selection screen is displayed.

Msingleton@kmbs
09-05-2020, 04:45 AM
I'm a km tech and it's a know fact that formatting with W10 will sometimes cause the km machines to not recognize usb stick. You will need to use diskpart to format.

copier tech
09-05-2020, 01:25 PM
Hi all

Having issues upgrading firmware hoping someone here can shed some light. Have been doing KMs for nearly 10 years never really had any issues with firmware until now. I have 4 or 5 different sticks (Sandisk, Freecom and cheap pieces of crap) all of which have always worked for me in the past. I have been trying to upgrade 3 different c227 machines, the Sandisk stick hangs on 2 fins with the black dot in the corner, all the others dont even get recognised and boot up to the copy screen. I was thinking it could be a machine setting as all 3 machines came back from the same customer so I tried the Sandisk on a c308 exact same thing happens again hangs on 2 fins, Freecom boots to copy screen. Formatting to FAT32 and copying/dragging the FW000x folder into the root exactly as should be.

I have been formatting them on a windows 10 PC - never had problems on my old windows professional laptop so bringing that in to try on Monday - have also tried the ruffus software I have seen mentioned in another thread but still no joy. KM tech support in UK not had any reports of this anywhere else can only suggest running DiskPArt which again I'll do on Monday as no admin rights needed on that laptop. My gut feeling is its how 10 is formatting the USB or writing the firmware just wondering if anyone has seen and cured this before?

Thanks in advance

I've been using Win10 to format my USB pens without ANY issues.

Small drives seems to be more reliable most of mine are only 2GB.

This is how I do it works every time.

blackcat4866
09-05-2020, 02:02 PM
On newer machines you might try a USB3 stick. I too use mostly USB2 sticks, since most the machines I see are 7-8 year old technology. =^..^=

tsbservice
09-06-2020, 12:48 PM
I'm a km tech and it's a know fact that formatting with W10 will sometimes cause the km machines to not recognize usb stick. You will need to use diskpart to format.

I will second that.

robinsonad86
09-07-2020, 01:17 PM
Thanks all for suggestions and input finally just been able to fw update an 8 series. Tried the instructions given above but disk wasnt being recognised managed to find a handy youtube video on how to wipe the disk How to restore USB flash drive back to full capacity - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW5sQBgkLkE)

I will point out that I used my old windows 7 laptop to do everything, the diskpart, fresh fw download and write to usb. I think there is something in the theory that windows 10 is causing issues for some. Will be keeping this laptop on me for the forseeable

Custom Search