PDA

View Full Version : 458e shuts down during job

Custom Search

mascan42
09-23-2020, 01:34 PM
I have a 458e that a couple of times a day just stops in the middle of a job. The control panel goes blank, the start button alternated blue ad orange flashing, and the activity light continues to flash. I can hear fans running, but nothing else. The only way to get it back is to reboot the machine.

I already rewrote the firmware (G00-X8) and had no effect. SSD seems to think it might be a loose connection to the control panel, but that shouldn't make the engine shut down (they're even more useless than usual now that they're working from home). Any ideas?

BTW, this is a fairly new machine, only a few weeks old.

tsbservice
09-23-2020, 02:19 PM
Think I would start from Initialize All just in case anything is corrupted. Also I had cases(not KM) where corrupt file causes printer to restart in the middle of print job, I mean to check if this happens from different PCs and jobs. Any errors in log?

mascan42
09-23-2020, 02:40 PM
There are no error codes in the history, and it's not a corrupt job because it also happens during copy jobs.

emujo2
09-23-2020, 04:22 PM
maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lock the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E

BillyCarpenter
09-23-2020, 04:24 PM
maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lick the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E

I co-sign this. Also measure the voltage at the power outlet. Could be low.

MarioTech
09-23-2020, 04:53 PM
I have a 458e that a couple of times a day just stops in the middle of a job. The control panel goes blank, the start button alternated blue ad orange flashing, and the activity light continues to flash. I can hear fans running, but nothing else. The only way to get it back is to reboot the machine.

I already rewrote the firmware (G00-X8) and had no effect. SSD seems to think it might be a loose connection to the control panel, but that shouldn't make the engine shut down (they're even more useless than usual now that they're working from home). Any ideas?

BTW, this is a fairly new machine, only a few weeks old.
I agree with the other techs, put the test probes on drop and run it, could be it's dropping too low or the cables are messed up. I had not too long ago a similar problem and over the weekend the building management did some work and pinched a ground somewhere that was affecting the circuit in the office the unit was plugged into. Only when the copier was needing juice the event was triggered, after this checks ok I'd look into the related copier components fuser, power supply, etc. My 2¢

mascan42
09-23-2020, 09:30 PM
maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lock the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E
Instantaneous power failure counters? Do you mean on the ESP power filter?

Synaux
09-24-2020, 03:19 AM
Instantaneous power failure counters? Do you mean on the ESP power filter?
Is this a new feature on the 8 series? Or is that the one that just says "Shutdown?"

Perform a I/O check on everything in SM.

Bix
09-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Are you sure the problem is the printers? I have had several customers with UPS. The ups was not powerful enough and caused the printer to shut down as soon as someone launched a job.

blackcat4866
09-24-2020, 01:43 PM
Are you sure the problem is the printers? I have had several customers with UPS. The ups was not powerful enough and caused the printer to shut down as soon as someone launched a job.

I've seen this situation. The UPS usuals squeals at you ever time you wake up the machine, and fuser errors. =^..^=

emujo2
09-24-2020, 02:18 PM
We rarley, if ever, put a MFP on a UPS..surge supprssor always, but the size of a UPS required to keep an MFP running is pretty big..Instantaneous power failures..in Service mode under counters..Would indicate a problem with wall voltage or the surge supporessor itself. E

Bix
09-24-2020, 02:44 PM
In other cases it was the faulty power strip (in the manual it is forbidden to connect to these devices but 50% of customers ignore this rule). It did not support printer loading.

mascan42
09-25-2020, 02:07 PM
There are no errors listed on the instantaneous power failure counters. A handful of power surges recorded on the power filter, not sure if they line up with the shutdowns or not. I'll have to download the data off the power filter to be sure.

t85ster
09-25-2020, 10:32 PM
Never plug copiers into the Battery Backup outlets on a UPS. Only use the "Surge Protection Only" outlet. The internal battery can't properly supply the current load of a copier or laser printer. My 2 cents...

blackcat4866
09-26-2020, 12:27 AM
There are UPS devices that can support a copier, but they are not cheap. A 15A copier requires 1800Watts (P=IV) capacity. The typical computer battery backup is rated at 500Watts. We have successfully used UPS devices on Kyocera devices to overcome power deficiencies. You can watch the power monitor LED flicker On each time the MFP fires up. =^..^=

M94
09-26-2020, 01:28 AM
I co-sign this. Also measure the voltage at the power outlet. Could be low.

I'm co-signing the co-sign, check if there are other devices on the same circuit that could be drawing enough to dip the overall power below what the copier needs. Things with pumps or motors that kick on periodically could be causing overdraw (fridges, freezers, air compressors etc)

Could also just be an actual fault on any high draw components too, the whole situation screams 'not enough juice'

Edit> Sorry missed that you said you checked the counter... although the fact that it's not completely shutting off could be why it's not being added to the counter.

mascan42
09-27-2020, 06:37 PM
Just to clarify, the copier isn't on a UPS. It's on the standard power filter that we sell with every machine. I swapped it out with another one, just so I could test the one they had, and it had the same problem later that day.

https://www.ametekesp.com/-/media/ametekesp/products/esp/next-gen/groupimages/esp-nextgenpcs-view01.jpg

t85ster
09-28-2020, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=mascan42;1575205]Just to clarify, the copier isn't on a UPS. It's on the standard power filter that we sell with every machine. I swapped it out with another one, just so I could test the one they had, and it had the same problem later that day.

That ESP is a good power filter/surge protector, but no device like that will protect the equipment against a brownout, which is bad news for copiers and printers.
Have you considered putting a voltage monitor on the same circuit, to see what the voltage is doing during the course of a couple of days?

Custom Search