PDA

View Full Version : C452 Dumpster to the Rescu(r)e!?!

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

subalot
09-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Dear Community,

upon dumpstering my Ricoh 2228c i found an C542 over there-good looking condition with finisher. brought it home.

what an stupid idea that was. well i was kinda able to at least print something out by disabling IU-Stop life. image is partly missing. see attachment

i get these Codes:

L2, L3 P-32

private usage intended-if someone could be so kind and slap me in the face for bringing home 250kg of non-woking printer please?
thank you!

please do not lynch me because i am looking for the cheapest possible repair anybody can think of...

if i could get some hundreds-maybe 1000īs pages out of the machine, that would be awesome. otherwise i just spent 3h driving back and forth electronic junk, not including fuel and cumbersome movement of this machine alone.

i am an it-guy, although a rather stupid one, not a printer guy. got way over my head quickly.

thank you for your time reading my stupid story.

best regards, have a wonderful day over there^^
Franz

Bix
09-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Hi, I think you should go to a technician but the printer is very old so I doubt anyone will come to fix it for you.
The consumables also look worn out. Here it could be TBI and UI. But that's a lot of money

Synthohol
09-28-2020, 03:53 PM
print the 4 gradations in test mode in service, they can reveal a lot.

copier tech
09-28-2020, 05:22 PM
Dear Community,

upon dumpstering my Ricoh 2228c i found an C542 over there-good looking condition with finisher. brought it home.

what an stupid idea that was. well i was kinda able to at least print something out by disabling IU-Stop life. image is partly missing. see attachment

i get these Codes:

L2, L3 P-32

private usage intended-if someone could be so kind and slap me in the face for bringing home 250kg of non-woking printer please?
thank you!

please do not lynch me because i am looking for the cheapest possible repair anybody can think of...

if i could get some hundreds-maybe 1000īs pages out of the machine, that would be awesome. otherwise i just spent 3h driving back and forth electronic junk, not including fuel and cumbersome movement of this machine alone.

i am an it-guy, although a rather stupid one, not a printer guy. got way over my head quickly.

thank you for your time reading my stupid story.

best regards, have a wonderful day over there^^
Franz

Great story thanks!

To be honest it could be anything but from looking at your sample its possible the drums have been exposed to sunlight & are damaged or if it was left outside could be condensation formed in the laser etc.

Leave it on for a few hours & every so often run 10 or so double sided prints/copies see if it gradually improves.

copyman
09-28-2020, 06:39 PM
Appreciate your honesty and the effort. Ha-ha I've done a little dumpster diving myself in the past.

I'm a believer if you are able to get paper to exit a Kon/Min copier without any service "trouble" codes (the codes you have are warning codes all related to print quality) than there is life left in machine:rolleyes:

I wouldn't put a lot of $$ into it but you may be able to find Image units really cheap on ebay. If you give machine a good cleaning and new Image units you should be good to go. Use ONLY genuine Kon/Min toner, also prob very cheap on ebay.

Best of luck

Max
09-28-2020, 09:35 PM
First thing 1st. Clean the laser glass x4 with the magic wand. The wand should be in the 2nd tray. Check the transfer roller, sometimes clip brakes at the back end. Will give you a partial copy. Could be many other thing also tbh.

blackcat4866
09-28-2020, 11:30 PM
Unless you plan to start your own C452 graveyard, it's going to be frustrating and expensive (if you are able to find the parts you need).

Before you dedicate too much time and resources, dig a deep hole out behind the garage, shove it in, then cover it up. Then forget where you buried it. =^..^=

M94
09-29-2020, 01:30 AM
Yeah TBH unless this is a pet project and you just want to work on it for the hell of it the cheapest way to get a few hundred to a few thousand pages is to spend 80$ on a random consumer printer. If you do want to just play with it I would definitely run the thing every other hour for a week just to see how much of it can be run through and then after that you kind of need to check every component that's involved, get a manual and start reading would be about the best advice I could give you. As a fellow IT that's only been into printers for a few months, you have bitten off more than you expected to chew. Not that you won't be able to figure it out given enough time and research but it is likely to be more involved than you imagined.

Good luck

subalot
09-29-2020, 08:00 AM
print the 4 gradations in test mode in service, they can reveal a lot.

Dear Sir, i am doing as told of course.
Upload fails constantly, maybe due to vpn.
please find a dropbox link attatched.

Dropbox - 20200929082001445.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/dxorvat4tmd8iqb/20200929082001445.pdf?dl=0)

i will try to upload scanned printouts again later Sir.

thank you for your answer!!!
best regards

subalot
09-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Great story thanks!

To be honest it could be anything but from looking at your sample its possible the drums have been exposed to sunlight & are damaged or if it was left outside could be condensation formed in the laser etc.

Leave it on for a few hours & every so often run 10 or so double sided prints/copies see if it gradually improves.

I am very glad i could entertain^^thank you:-)

will do that of course as well-i truly appreciate your kind answer!

subalot
09-29-2020, 08:08 AM
First thing 1st. Clean the laser glass x4 with the magic wand. The wand should be in the 2nd tray. Check the transfer roller, sometimes clip brakes at the back end. Will give you a partial copy. Could be many other thing also tbh.

Magic wand was the fist thing i did "to" the machine. will check the transfer roller-once i figured out what excactly i do have to check there-yes i do have a field service manual for the device:-)
i am aware that this could get quickly out of hand-therefore i decided to admit i am not capable doing this and i do have to rely on community kindess here^^

thank you for your input, best regards:-)

subalot
09-29-2020, 08:23 AM
Appreciate your honesty and the effort. Ha-ha I've done a little dumpster diving myself in the past.

I'm a believer if you are able to get paper to exit a Kon/Min copier without any service "trouble" codes (the codes you have are warning codes all related to print quality) than there is life left in machine:rolleyes:

I wouldn't put a lot of $$ into it but you may be able to find Image units really cheap on ebay. If you give machine a good cleaning and new Image units you should be good to go. Use ONLY genuine Kon/Min toner, also prob very cheap on ebay.

Best of luck

i truly like your opinion regarding if machineīs spittin out some paper, Sir!

found just the drum for 65$ per color, reset chip for 25$. i would have to disassemble the Drum unit and replace the chip and the drum itself.
is there any kind of developer or some refilling involved-or is it really just disassembling-replace parts-reassemble?:confused: please excuse my stupid question:p

locally there is a guy who sells all color developers for 400 bucks tho. NIB...meh-.- to much $$ imho for the dumpster-machine.

found toner cmyk for 60$ a pop. reasonable i think...

best regards:cool:

subalot
09-29-2020, 08:29 AM
Unless you plan to start your own C452 graveyard, it's going to be frustrating and expensive (if you are able to find the parts you need).

Before you dedicate too much time and resources, dig a deep hole out behind the garage, shove it in, then cover it up. Then forget where you buried it. =^..^=

Yes Sir, i do have 2500 square-feet garden which would be able to "hide" several of those^^

Hiring landscape-guys/gardener now!!!

thank you so much for your honest answer, of couse all the best to you^^

rrrohan
09-29-2020, 09:11 AM
gonna be funny when the next person to own that home finds it when digging in backyard

Synthohol
09-29-2020, 12:48 PM
looks to me like the 2nd transfer pressure assy is broken, like only 1/2 of the transfer roller is making contact with the belt.

rrrohan
09-29-2020, 01:11 PM
looks to me like the 2nd transfer pressure assy is broken, like only 1/2 of the transfer roller is making contact with the belt.

good idea. ive had plenty break on c754

subalot
09-29-2020, 01:41 PM

thats a mouth full for a non printerguide^^
i checked within the field manual, removed the just the 2nd transfer-roller an re-seated it. it is on the right-hand side machine upon opening the latch, the "middle" roller up on the spring-bearing bigger unit.(hopefully)
did not look broken, it is rolling freely:-)

picure follows as i have to leave for an customer emergency.

thank you very much:-)

Synthohol
09-29-2020, 04:07 PM
The roller is usually fine, it's the spring loaded post on the right side that breaks and you usually won't see it unless you lift the assy and see the while right side comes up.
Wish I had a pic.
It's the right side of the pressure cam. Rotate the cam and look for unusual movement and broken parts.

blackcat4866
09-29-2020, 04:34 PM
Yeah, it's not the roller itself but the mechanism that presses it against the primary transfer belt. In my experience the rear side breaks. =^..^=

allan
09-29-2020, 04:49 PM
Yeah, it's not the roller itself but the mechanism that presses it against the primary transfer belt. In my experience the rear side breaks. =^..^=

So nothing some glue can't fix?

Synthohol
09-29-2020, 05:43 PM

Not with the 20lbs of spring pressure unfortunately.

blackcat4866
09-29-2020, 05:49 PM

As a temporary, I drilled the broken off shaft #37 (coat hanger size), drilled the bracket again #37. Then epoxied in a length of coat hanger wire. I would have liked to let the epoxy cure longer, so the resulting piece wasn't quite as well aligned as I might have liked, but it was mostly indestructible. I might still have it around, someplace. =^..^=

subalot
09-30-2020, 04:32 PM
The roller is usually fine, it's the spring loaded post on the right side that breaks and you usually won't see it unless you lift the assy and see the while right side comes up.
Wish I had a pic.
It's the right side of the pressure cam. Rotate the cam and look for unusual movement and broken parts.

Thank you Sir! it truly is broken:D(if you examine the picture closely enough, you could see where the spring ended up:-))
i was wondering why this thing is flapping in the breeze already...^^

I am stunned by your remote-diagnostic-skills and obviously long experience in the field. Hatīs off to you Sir!

"Master Of The Obvious" - Blackcat4866 already pointed out a temporary solution already, will try to do the same.

thank you again for your precious time. i am aware that time is the most valuable estate we have got. i am very thankful.

subalot
09-30-2020, 04:43 PM
As a temporary, I drilled the broken off shaft #37 (coat hanger size), drilled the bracket again #37. Then epoxied in a length of coat hanger wire. I would have liked to let the epoxy cure longer, so the resulting piece wasn't quite as well aligned as I might have liked, but it was mostly indestructible. I might still have it around, someplace. =^..^=

Thank you Sir for contributing to my innocent stupidity by providing an affordable solution to one of the "hidden beauty mistakes" my Dumpster-Girl had hidden under her weighty belly:D

as i am an r/c guy as well i do have experience with shredded wheel-hexes:o my favorite cure: epoxy+ metal-rods!

hopefully my skills will be enough to give your fix a shot:-)

thank you for posting, very much appreciated!!!!

tsbservice
09-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Thank you Sir! it truly is broken:D

I am stunned by your remote-diagnostic-skills and obviously long experience in the field. Hatīs off to you Sir!

"Master Of The Obvious" - Blackcat4866 already pointed out a temporary solution already, will try to do the same.

thank you again for your precious time. i am aware that time is the most valuable estate we have got. i am very thankful.

Good thread to read. At least you returned us the faith that someone untrained and obviously inexperienced has the thinking and will assist to the best he can in truly respectful way. Wonderful!
Sometimes small miracles happen :)

BillyCarpenter
09-30-2020, 05:02 PM

I've noticed that you keep a database that's complete with pictures of your fixes/solutions. That's the way its done as its hard to remember all of it and you can refer back to the information if/when you run into it again. Props.

allan
09-30-2020, 05:10 PM
There are plenty of tricks to keep these machines running. Rebuild kits for the units.
Humor yourself and get a quote for one of the image units. Also check what a new replacement is worth.
Pricey stuff.
You might be supersized that there are plenty of them in the bin somewhere out there.
Awesome printer to have for printing tens of thousands of prints a month.

Please take pics of your repair and then print some half-tones from service mode.
Print them at 150 out of 255 and post that.

What are you going to do with the machine, home printing use?
Great of you to bring it back to use.

What is the meter count on the machine?
Check the consumable life.

blackcat4866
09-30-2020, 10:39 PM

Thank you Sir! it truly is broken:D(if you examine the picture closely enough, you could see where the spring ended up:-))

You have an advantage on me: I had other calls to get to, and I could only let the epoxy cure ~60 minutes. You can get it aligned perfectly and let it sit the full 24 hours ... even better 48. Yes please post your results. =^..^=

subalot
09-30-2020, 11:01 PM

well, she ainīt that pretty tbh:D but, on the other hand, what do you expect from a dumpster-girl^^ sleazy outside,hard as nails inside...literally.
used a 2mm drill bit on both the broken pieces, cut the strait side of an r-clip and epoxied both parts together.

luckily i found the broken off plastic piece squeezed in between the right hand door and the paper exit conveyance assy (please no pitchforks if this part is actually called otherwise-please educate me here!! It was quite a hassle to actually find out what is the name of the darn thing is mounted on the door...:rolleyes:. other than the duplex unit too, if i remember correctly???

unfortunately the bigger white washer on the "spring-side" is gone. where exactly...nobody knows;)
the 2 metal washers i will use almost resemble the same thickness of the silicone washer which i measured from the good working left side.

i will let cure the epoxy for a little bit more and report back later:cool:

blackcat4866
09-30-2020, 11:36 PM
Nice! =^..^=

subalot
10-01-2020, 12:18 AM
There are plenty of tricks to keep these machines running. Rebuild kits for the units.
Humor yourself and get a quote for one of the image units. Also check what a new replacement is worth.
Pricey stuff.
You might be supersized that there are plenty of them in the bin somewhere out there.
Awesome printer to have for printing tens of thousands of prints a month.

Please take pics of your repair and then print some half-tones from service mode.
Print them at 150 out of 255 and post that.

What are you going to do with the machine, home printing use?
Great of you to bring it back to use.

What is the meter count on the machine?
Check the consumable life.

will report back the meter count, regarding the consumables- i was unfortunately a little bit to eager getting the machine to actually spit out any paper and did the obvious for the unsuspecting light-headed idiot that is of course...(psst-itīs me) Reset consumables, not knowing that there maybe could possibly be another option called IU-STOP, preventing the machine from eventually doing more harm than good.

thank you for your advice regarding the printouts-i will attach some printouts of course, Sir!

well, mostly private use-i like A3 printouts-my walls are partly plastered...network scan is a big plus+
maybe you read my opening post-i used to own an Ricoh 2228C, was free as well. down the road i bought another 2228c for spares. clutches, scanner unit, rollers mainly. got so much consumables with the first machine, would last me for a lifetime.
Unfortunately the printer-gods decided otherwise, and a view weeks ago my main unit finally bit the dust with multiple organ failure...far beyond my skills unfortunately.
Upon dumpstering both machines this little big beauty cought my eye---the rest is history:D
I am an self employed event-rigger, actually quite busy until earlier this year. A3 Autocad-printouts where supreme when working i have to admit.

i did spot cmyk-toner-set on "ebay-kleinanzeigen" for 65€/color. sounds reasonable to me.

i got an offer for 400€ bucks cmyk-IU set. NIB. quite reasonable as well. i think the set of cmyk IUīs is about a grant:eek:

tbh, not knowing how many job opportunities there will be in next view month, and time is not the issue at the moment - i am looking to rebuild the IUīs myself, if you guys would see that rebuilding myself could, when done properly of course, produce some rather nice printouts. for a foreseeable future that is...
Of course i have never rebuild an IU myself...but i saw a YouTube video once of some Indian guys doing just that^^

i would jump the gun on those IUīs in an heartbeat-please don't get me wrong here.
i do realize that owning such a complex machine is not for the faint of heart, especially not knowing the inīs and outīs of it, no experience in the field whatsoever and being on a tight budget does not help here either:D!!!
65$ per color for the OPC-Drum and 25$ per color for the reset chip and praying the blade comes with the drum included does undoubtedly rose an eyebrow or two on my ends here.
Doing the math: 40 bucks in savings, if i could get those IUīs for 400€ of course, doing all 4 colors is just not worth the hassle-i know. Get the IUīs-stupid!!!!

letīs say nothing, and i truly mean that, is out-ruled on my end here regarding consumables. from the shadiest backyard dumpster, to the "who knows where he gets that parts" guy to buying original stuff...

hopefully, things turn out nicely-i did the right thing bringing her home, did i???:p

blackcat4866
10-01-2020, 12:37 AM
... hopefully, things turn out nicely-i did the right thing bringing her home, did i???:p

Time will tell. Try printing this, when you get it back together:

subalot
10-01-2020, 09:26 AM
Good thread to read. At least you returned us the faith that someone untrained and obviously inexperienced has the thinking and will assist to the best he can in truly respectful way. Wonderful!
Sometimes small miracles happen :)

Thank you Sir, you just literally made my day. As i am drinking my morning cup of coffee, i am reading your kind reply and suddenly, out of the blue, my eyes start leaking a liquid reassembling printer oil-lets hope the oil-waste container is not beyond it lifestyle as well:rolleyes:

I am truly grateful and thankful as well to everybody replying to my thread, and on top i am very glad that i can deliver^^ being respectful, showing courtesy and at least trying to use the marble sitting between my shoulders to figure things out i am not familiar with...and of course->do as you are told when knowledgeable guys are willing to provide!!!:p

i hope you have a very nice day over there Sir, thank you again for such nice words!!! i am truly touched here at my end.

subalot
10-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Time will tell. Try printing this, when you get it back together:

Update: I fixed the page coverage issue thanks to your solution you kindly provided. You Sir, are a truly a Saint!!!!
upon lifting the assy and mounting the arm to the metal rod i found the missing washer as well^^

as i am struggling uploading attachments, please find here the Dropbox-link to the ANSI-printout you provided the file.

Dropbox - ANSI-B.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cpvy42e92h0gek/ANSI-B.pdf?dl=0)

it doesn't look pretty, but it if fully covering the page at least!!

please find attached the meter count&consumables printout. text-printout looks somewhat decent imho...color is another story tho, told by the ANSI B printout.

my guts tell me that the following posts regarding the analyses of the ANSI B printout will be somehow about flexing a certain muscle...unfortunately due to market conditions that particular muscle is somewhat mutilated at my end over here at the given time.

anyways-looking at the bright side of the printout today it seemed unlikely to get full page coverage a view days ago^^

Thank you again Sir for providing the ANSI-B-File, Very interesting to say at least!!!

blackcat4866
10-01-2020, 01:26 PM
Cyan developer, possibly yellow developer, maybe fuser too. Were these printed on Letter, Letter-R, or Ledger paper size?

My guess is Ledger.

Clean the laser slit glasses, and run the stabilization and gradation.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself hoisting this monstrosity out of the dumpster?

By count it's just a baby, barely to it's first consumable change. By years it's a senior citizen.
=^..^=

tsbservice
10-01-2020, 02:49 PM
I see Cyan and K developer but agree clean first slits...

subalot
10-01-2020, 02:54 PM
Cyan developer, possibly yellow developer, maybe fuser too. Were these printed on Letter, Letter-R, or Ledger paper size?

My guess is Ledger.

Clean the laser slit glasses, and run the stabilization and gradation.

I hope you didn't hurt yourself hoisting this monstrosity out of the dumpster?

By count it's just a baby, barely to it's first consumable change. By years it's a senior citizen.
=^..^=

i printed on standard A3 paper, closest to 17"x11" i guess.

Cyan developer is most certainly gone i guess because P-6 Error came along today. Yellow low toner warning is also present.

please let the fusing unit be undamaged, as i do not see any possibility of self repair here.
(i do have an somewhat unused unit here, it was in the box next to the machine when i picked her up, but it is from another machine,i think its from a c252, dunno if internal parts of the Fuser itself would be interchangeable)

i will have to look up where exactly the laser slit glass would sit of course, thank you.
Running stabilization and gradation does not ring a bell on my end here either-will check back later Sir!!!
(i have to educate myself what exactly you are meaning by "running" that and what i have to do here to follow your advice^^)

so by judging the meter count at least it could have been worth the hassle rolling such a girthy girl back to my place:rolleyes: yes, i do admit it was borderline stupid moving this heavy machine all by myself^^

IU and Finisher on the other hand doesn't look so rosy at all:eek:

+UPDATE:
did the swab cleaning on the laser slit.
image stabilization did run thru-gradation printed out as well and scanned 1 time. the second time around i accidentally put a piece of paper in the Scanner-ADF. possibly therefore the process stopped and exited out of admin settings. maybe i touched the wrong button accidentally?

now, when trying the gradation process, beginning with image stabilization of course, it cant finish that and there is an message:

Unable to adjust gradation due to an alert.

please find the gradation pattern printout here:

Dropbox - gradation pattern.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmow2nfe73j4lm4/gradation%20pattern.pdf?dl=0)

tsbservice
10-01-2020, 07:46 PM
Thank you Sir, you just literally made my day. As i am drinking my morning cup of coffee, i am reading your kind reply and suddenly, out of the blue, my eyes start leaking a liquid reassembling printer oil-lets hope the oil-waste container is not beyond it lifestyle as well:rolleyes:

I am truly grateful and thankful as well to everybody replying to my thread, and on top i am very glad that i can deliver^^ being respectful, showing courtesy and at least trying to use the marble sitting between my shoulders to figure things out i am not familiar with...and of course->do as you are told when knowledgeable guys are willing to provide!!!:p

i hope you have a very nice day over there Sir, thank you again for such nice words!!! i am truly touched here at my end.

Same to you mate.
For sure as community we really appreciate your input, wordings and striving.

Good luck!

blackcat4866
10-02-2020, 01:10 AM
It probably won't be able to do a gradation with the cyan so poorly represented. If you can get a cyan IU start there, then try the stabilization and gradation again. =^..^=

Synaux
10-02-2020, 03:01 AM
After, a thorough cleaning, I bet this will print a lot of things out just fine especially if set to K only (really depends on the situation). Low coverage prints will likely be acceptable. Also, you can wash the Transfer roller but make sure it dries completely or you will have problems--and clean out the transfer belt waste section.

However, photos and rich colors (especially blues and greens) will not print out right until you replace the C IU

subalot
10-02-2020, 08:10 AM

take look at her, ainīt she a pretty, especially with her finisher attached^^????

that is where i am at the moment with machine warnings...

yesterday i disassembled the fusing unit, well i guess this is why there is a lifetime-limit...it looks disgusting inside. the smaller red rubber roller is wrinkled at itīs edges, the "furry" roller is almost stone-hard covered with this guey-type thing.

I got rid of p-32 error and p-28 error as well.
cleaned 3 augers behind the fusing unit.

removed this part and unscrewed the metal blade and cleaned out some white dust under there too.

please find attached some test prints from the user/page setup

Dropbox - SKMBT_C45220100206090.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pl5jz86ry6a32w/SKMBT_C45220100206090.pdf?dl=0)

Bix
10-02-2020, 09:55 AM
gg bro!

blackcat4866
10-02-2020, 01:32 PM
Great work. From the attachments I still see issues with cyan and yellow. The paper dust collector does fill right up, doesn't it. Eventually you'll get paper skew and jamming if it gets too full.

Maybe someone here has a slightly less used fuser for you. I'll take a walk through the graveyard.

Not many folks could have done that repair. Cudos! =^..^=I

Synaux
10-02-2020, 06:58 PM
L-1 thru 4 just means an IU has gone past its life.

That "furry" roller can be cleaned with soap and water if you want to attempt to take it out and you can get new orange rollers on the interwebs. (That is, if you are feeling adventurous--the fuser is typically sold as one unit but now there are distributors for parts. Same goes for the IUs and transfer belt I only mention this as you wanted the cheapest possible solution but this method is a gamble and a test of your ability to take things apart and put them together again [with no spare parts]).

Not sure why you suddenly got that immense background on the latest test prints you attached. Looks like more color IUs to add to the shopping list to me (Y & M)...

The C IU is the newest but exhibiting catastrophic failure. Take it out and clean all connections on the rear of the IU and check for electrical scorch marks as well as inside the machine.

Also, ensure the toner is genuine (I guess compare to pictures on google).

subalot
10-02-2020, 08:58 PM
Great work. From the attachments I still see issues with cyan and yellow. The paper dust collector does fill right up, doesn't it. Eventually you'll get paper skew and jamming if it gets too full.

Maybe someone here has a slightly less used fuser for you. I'll take a walk through the graveyard.

Not many folks could have done that repair. Cudos! =^..^=I

I am feeling very proud Sir, thank you for writing such humble words albeit my printer-knowledge and maintenance-skills resemble more the workings of an lunatic, taking home what no sane man would bear upon oneself.

Again, i cannot express enough how unbelievably forthcoming this community is on my end reading trough your and the other posters posts in this Threat, considering you guys spending one of our most valuable good, time in that matter that is, helping out one unsuspecting crazy madman^^

i would be speechless if an affordable Fusing-unit would miraculously turn up... :ī-)

Aha,the paper dust collector, that what the part is called-thank you for educating!

yes, it was quite full-white dust crumbles where collecting outside the foam already, that made me suspicious so i got in there as well.
removed the 3 screws and got rid of all the dust. there is a little cutout for a screw-head on the removed blade part and presumably light-entrance or so i figured:rolleyes:
of course not knowing for sure, i cleaned that cutout as best as i could so some just in case some magic auger wants to look at something magically being put on paper and be assured everything is in proper order:p

well well well...slowly but surely, the unknown sees to man,formerly referred to as KM-C452, become clearer so one "mad-man":rolleyes: can finally see what horrible secrets are hidden in its muddy dept(h)s...thank you again for skimming thru the printouts^^

A very Good evening to you Sir!

subalot
10-02-2020, 10:19 PM
L-1 thru 4 just means an IU has gone past its life.

That "furry" roller can be cleaned with soap and water if you want to attempt to take it out and you can get new orange rollers on the interwebs. (That is, if you are feeling adventurous--the fuser is typically sold as one unit but now there are distributors for parts. Same goes for the IUs and transfer belt I only mention this as you wanted the cheapest possible solution but this method is a gamble and a test of your ability to take things apart and put them together again [with no spare parts]).

Not sure why you suddenly got that immense background on the latest test prints you attached. Looks like more color IUs to add to the shopping list to me (Y & M)...

The C IU is the newest but exhibiting catastrophic failure. Take it out and clean all connections on the rear of the IU and check for electrical scorch marks as well as inside the machine.

Also, ensure the toner is genuine (I guess compare to pictures on google).

Darn it. It never came to my attention that the previous owner did most likely cheap out on consumables, as most of -and please excuse my langauge here- screw heads!!! out there do because they most certainly know better for sure what they should put in there machines, other than the guy who services these machines day in and out.

Not until your post Sir, thank you. you are right. it is, of course, drum-roll.... compatible toner from what i can spot right now... :-(

will take out all the IUīs and document.

the furry roller is stone hard covered with that red gue. looks like maybe one of the fusing rollers has decinegrated partly and itīs pieces coated the now-not-so-furry-anymore roller almost completely:rolleyes:
i could try to scrape it of...maybe. but regarding scraping and fine dust excess i am not so sure that this is a good idea in the first place, especially when the former-furry roller sits it is home.
maybe it it just a tad beyond repair, and when disassembled, not worth the hassle cleaning up compared to just replace it anyways.

to be honest i do not have the skills nor the knowledge to take apart the fuser or an IU, not understanding itīs inner workings does not contribute to the fact that this is most likely a ver complex task to accomplish for an unskilled non-printer guy.

little steps could bring me confidence refurbishing parts and by luck and under the right circumstances save me a buck or 2...(grands more likely)

But i am truly willing to listen closely to experienced technicians and trust their many years of field-service. Paper is patient -a maintenance manual + half knowledge from the internet e.g. that is- being in the field is a whole other ballpark.
i have seen my good share of CAD-plans...far away from reality when physically being on site and building the scaffolding e.g.:p

Rebuilding IUīs properly would at least require a re-watchable video to actually see and learn the steps involved.
Otherwise catastrophic failure is almost imminent for sure, and would do more harm than good.

As for the Fuser it seems more or less mechanic-it does have whole lot a cogs^^ but, videotaping the whole process, taking time and not beeing disturbed "should" be a task i could maybe accomplish.

maybe i should take out the transfer unit as well, just to clean things up in and under there properly, of course taking care of the unit as of my eyeballs...but it is so precious:eek:better not touch it when not really necessary!!

Thank you Sir for your time spent answering to one of my posts,your action is highly appreciated over here.

I am humbly honored by the unexpected interest in my, maybe not so wise decision, giving an older but still quite good looking machine a second chance...thank you all:o

blackcat4866
10-02-2020, 11:57 PM
Ah, I had not noticed "Vienna" Maybe these charts will be more suitable:

Phil B.
10-03-2020, 01:07 AM
I am feeling very proud Sir, thank you for writing such humble words albeit my printer-knowledge and maintenance-skills resemble more the workings of an lunatic, taking home what no sane man would bear upon oneself.

Again, i cannot express enough how unbelievably forthcoming this community is on my end reading trough your and the other posters posts in this Threat, considering you guys spending one of our most valuable good, time in that matter that is, helping out one unsuspecting crazy madman^^

i would be speechless if an affordable Fusing-unit would miraculously turn up... :ī-)

Aha,the paper dust collector, that what the part is called-thank you for educating!

yes, it was quite full-white dust crumbles where collecting outside the foam already, that made me suspicious so i got in there as well.
removed the 3 screws and got rid of all the dust. there is a little cutout for a screw-head on the removed blade part and presumably light-entrance or so i figured:rolleyes:
of course not knowing for sure, i cleaned that cutout as best as i could so some just in case some magic auger wants to look at something magically being put on paper and be assured everything is in proper order:p

well well well...slowly but surely, the unknown sees to man,formerly referred to as KM-C452, become clearer so one "mad-man":rolleyes: can finally see what horrible secrets are hidden in its muddy dept(h)s...thank you again for skimming thru the printouts^^

A very Good evening to you Sir!

I know that this wasn't an easy fix.. esp for you.

But Kudos brother!

on your way to being a tech! We all stumble n fall.. the main thing is NOT to let it get you down.

Personal note*** spent three hours working on my son's car with him... and all of a sudden I had the bulb light up... one more hour and we got that section of the repair done... ball joints .. tie rods....sway arms.. stabilizer bar. Now just body work to go on his 2005 Subi Impreza.

Again Impressive repair for an end user.

Synaux
10-03-2020, 03:08 AM
Everyone has to start somewhere. As long as you study the Service Manual and methodical with your work you can often find success. God knows I have have danced on razor blades working on machines I know nothing about. Did it take probably 5x longer than it should have? Sure. But I got the experience and most of the time manage to fix all the blasted things. And that experience often translates into other jobs. Give me enough time and money and I can fix just about anything but a flux capacitor.

There are videos out there showing how to rebuild IUs. I used to have one for this model but appears to have been taken down. Not that I am pushing you to do this, but it is possible.

The fuzzy roller on the fuser is actually nowhere near as important as the red rollers, so I am probably adding a little more confusion to all this than necessary. :rolleyes:

If you are comfortable, I recommend cleaning the transfer belt, use a microfiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol on the belt itself and use purified water to lightly clean the residue off with a clean microfiber. The belt should be smooth and shiny. The rear section has the waste system that you can vacuum out real good if you take the cover off (I wouldn't be surprised to see some bits of fuser roller in that unit). There is a metal tab on the side that needs to be cleaned in that area. And basically clean all the sides, etc. Just don't scratch the belt--in fact do not touch the belt at all unless cleaning. :cool:

Also there is a shutter under the transfer belt that has two very important sensors they must be clean.

After that, you basically are forced to buy stuff to get better print quality. You might have some luck putting a request in the part wanted section of this forum.

**Edit, I have 4x K (black) genuine toners in storage that I will sell for a fair price**

subalot
10-03-2020, 01:28 PM
Ah, I had not noticed "Vienna" Maybe these charts will be more suitable:

Dear Sir, please find here the Charts you kindly provided:

Dropbox - AnsiB+ Asni SuperB ISO a3(a3 paper).pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsepg3gyc2nsnh9/AnsiB%2B%20Asni%20SuperB%20ISO%20a3%28a3%20paper%2 9.pdf?dl=0)

Dropbox - ISO A3.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljlyy6hyt1tmslu/ISO%20A3.pdf?dl=0)

Dropbox - ISO A4.pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bjxtgo99fs1nj7/ISO%20A4.pdf?dl=0)

Dropbox - AnsiB+ Asni SuperB ISO a3(a4 paper).pdf - Simplify your life (https://www.dropbox.com/s/xphea344869rra0/AnsiB%2B%20Asni%20SuperB%20ISO%20a3%28a4%20paper%2 9.pdf?dl=0)

maintenance report follows later on. i did take out the transfer belt unit, all IUīs , the development unit , toners, removed left side panel and behind that the metal plate to access the back-Transfer belt-portion, cleaned everything i had taken out, blow compressed air trough 2 filters, vacuumed access-toner as well.

maybe i could persuade one private seller over here to actually hand me over his C-Y-M IUīs for 350 bucks(he now wants 800€) the whole lot...if this guy would aactually gree i shall not rebuild the IUīs myself of course^^

otherwise i would have to look to view some videos to really see with my own eyes what steps are involved and what pitfalls lay ahead going this route...

thank you so much for sending new Charts, very much appreciated!!!!

Custom Search