PDA

View Full Version : bizhub 808, C-3B09 IH Communication Error

Custom Search

blackcat4866
09-29-2020, 12:05 AM
I was quite excited to get this call. I've never had this code on any KM before.

Following the troubleshooting in the manual I got my first smoking gun at the IH board, or more specifically smoking fuse F1:

So I headed back to the shop for an IH coil, and IH board. I would have liked to bring a fuse, but it's a weird size (29mm long, 6mm diameter), and I couldn't match it. My basic premise was that the only load ... the IH coil fried the fuse and maybe the IH board. Upon examination I found a split capacitor C47. I think that's more likely the cause of the blown fuse:

To my disappointment the code came back immediately after a System Error Clear, even with both the IH coil and the IH board. Back to my pin-outs, the next board in line is the Noise Filter NF1. Another smoking gun/fuse:

Fortunately this one was just a blown fuse. I had a couple of board mount fuse holders and a 250V 15A fuse for the fix:

So I'm thinking the IH coil probably was not necessary ... but in the manual I found that the IH coil is rated to last the typical life of the fuser, so it was about time. =^..^=

allan
09-30-2020, 05:37 PM
Great stuff i like call like these.

So your fix there was just to replace the fuser and the capacitor?

Strange for one of those to pop they can handle quite the over voltage.

The blows thru cap would be a primary cause i would guess.

Then the majority of techs would order a new one...

When thru a box of old replaced boards a guy collected you would be supersized how many of them are only ICP's.

blackcat4866
09-30-2020, 10:49 PM
Great stuff i like call like these.

So your fix there was just to replace the fuser and the capacitor?

Strange for one of those to pop they can handle quite the over voltage.

The blows thru cap would be a primary cause i would guess.

Then the majority of techs would order a new one...

When thru a box of old replaced boards a guy collected you would be supersized how many of them are only ICP's.

No, I couldn't find a capacitor, but I did have a parts donor machine to provide me with the IH Coil and IHPU (IH board). The fuse and holders came from my miscellany. My soldering skills still seem to be up to par. =^..^=

srvctec
10-01-2020, 08:06 PM
Just curious what the total count is on this machine. We have three 958's in a community college that are all over a million clicks now.

blackcat4866
10-02-2020, 01:13 AM
1.6 millions. =^..^=

Synaux
10-02-2020, 02:35 AM
So I headed back to the shop for an IH coil, and IH board. I would have liked to bring a fuse, but it's a weird size (29mm long, 6mm diameter), and I couldn't match it. My basic premise was that the only load ... the IH coil fried the fuse and maybe the IH board. Upon examination I found a split capacitor C47. I think that's more likely the cause of the blown fuse:

It is like reading a picture book! :o

Good stuff.

I think the capacitor is more likely not the cause of the blown fuse. Rather, it is probably a result of the fuse not blowing early enough and destroying the cap. Also, if you get into a jam like that with the fuse size, you can always solder/wrap a lead to the fuse to bridge the connection on the board (I have done this with fuses and caps in the past and rarely used the same method to bypass the fuse altogether--for testing--cross all your Ts and dot your I-s if you bypass though).

wjurls
10-02-2020, 06:22 PM
We've seen this code a few times and it's never been the coil. It's usually either the IH power supply board on the front, or the noise filter board on the back.

erwinf
11-19-2020, 06:21 AM
Hi Gents
Just to follow on regarding this error code,
I have 2 x B758 both new machines which were installed on the same floor at a customer,
both machines began giving the error code C-3B09, i also suspected that it could be the IHPU boards or Noise Filter.
we followed the all the recommended steps to resolve the fault, however the error code kept on coming back, eventually we installed 3KVA- Voltage Regulators in an attempt to stabilize the power. this seems to have worked.
when i tested the IHPU boards back at my workshop, i found the the fuses were still intact and had not blown but when i install the boards back in the machines the error code returns immediately and cannot be reset.

Custom Search