PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Just bought C364e, could use some advance advice

Custom Search

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 03:08 AM
Greetings all!
I'm an end user (which will be painfully obvious very shortly), and I'm hoping I can get some advance assistance before I screw something up and become (even more of) a nuisance here.
I've worked in the tech sector for the past 20+ yrs. I'm factory trained on Oce' large format engineering printer/copiers, and have extensive experience in general computer building and troubleshooting.
However, I have very little experience with copier work. We do have a Bizhub c308 at my other office, and it's been absolutely fabulous, which is one of the reasons why I bought this new(er) machine. I've worked on the c308 a little, just some basic stuff like simple consumables replacement, cleaning, and print quality troubleshooting to assist a tech before he came out. I also am the network admin, so I'm sorta familiar with the KMBT web interface, at least the basics of it.

Anyway, I just bought a Bizhub C364e from a state surplus auction for my home office. I've not picked it up yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of things to be preparing for in order to put this machine back in service.
According to the seller, the hard drive has been removed, and the "computer has been wiped", whatever that means. He assured me the machine was in basically functional condition, even without the HDD.
What would you folks suggest as my first steps?
Should I be planning to replace the HDD right away, or is that more involved that I've been lead to believe? I've done fairly extensive searching and reading here on the site, and it seems that a physical, followed by a logical format would be required, and that I may need an animation file? I also see frequent reference to service mode. I'm familiar with such from my Oce' days, but not how to gain access in this KM machine.
I do have the service manual for this machine, but since it's nearly 1500 pages, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, I haven't really dug into it much. Does it explain accessing service mode and how to perform the HDD format, and those other required steps, or will I likely still need some hand-holding from you kind folks?
What other things would you consider to be SOP when testing and refurbing a machine to be put back into service, that I'm probably overlooking?
Have I put myself in a bad situation, or am I likely to have a working copier without a ton of hassle and expense?

Any advice from the masters greatly appreciated!
-E

Synaux
10-03-2020, 03:30 AM
Well, if you have the service manual in pdf format do a search for service mode ;)

You are right about the HDD procedure. But animation file is not really necessary, but will cause an annoying error and you will not get the purdy illustrations on how to clear a jam.

"computer has been wiped" maybe it has a Fiery (IC-414)? Other than that, god only knows unless some crazy method of saying that the HDD was removed.

Hopefully the consumables are in good shape otherwise you might be spending a lot of money.

Install on a level surface and never use compatible toner.

I am sure others will have more to add

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 03:41 AM
But animation file is not really necessary, but will cause an annoying error and you will not get the purdy illustrations on how to clear a jam.

Install on a level surface and never use compatible toner.

Is there a way to get hold of that animation file? Error messages drive me batty, even harmless ones. ;)
I was wondering about the compatible toner thing. Some machines work just fine, others hate it. What happens if I use aftermarket toner in this machine? Reduced print quality/yield or thermonuclear meltdown?
How about the aftermarket drums? Are they usable or no? Again, I'm not worried if the only effect is reduced lifespan of the consumable, but if it ruins the machine, that's another kettle of fish.

BillyCarpenter
10-03-2020, 03:44 AM
The first thing I'd want to know is how many clicks the machine has on it before I spend too much time and money on it. ;)

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 03:56 AM
The first thing I'd want to know is how many clicks the machine has on it before I spend too much time and money on it. ;)

I can and will certainly have that info on Monday, after I pick it up.
I'm just trying to prepare myself for things to do and look out for in advance, so I don't get overexcited and break something out of ignorance.
It's likely to happen anyway, I'm just attempting to stack the odds in my favor. :D

I found the section in the SM about how to access service mode, and the default CE password. Man, I hope no one changed it. O.o

BillyCarpenter
10-03-2020, 04:06 AM
I can and will certainly have that info on Monday, after I pick it up.
I'm just trying to prepare myself for things to do and look out for in advance, so I don't get overexcited and break something out of ignorance.
It's likely to happen anyway, I'm just attempting to stack the odds in my favor. :D

I found the section in the SM about how to access service mode, and the default CE password. Man, I hope no one changed it. O.o

You sound like you have a good background for this stuff. Get the HDD back in and install the latest firmware and get it where you can make a copy/print and go from there. If you run into any problems...just post them on here and I'm sure someone will be glad to help. Good luck, my man.

Synaux
10-03-2020, 04:17 AM
Is there a way to get hold of that animation file? Error messages drive me batty, even harmless ones. ;)
I was wondering about the compatible toner thing. Some machines work just fine, others hate it. What happens if I use aftermarket toner in this machine? Reduced print quality/yield or thermonuclear meltdown?
How about the aftermarket drums? Are they usable or no? Again, I'm not worried if the only effect is reduced lifespan of the consumable, but if it ruins the machine, that's another kettle of fish.
I strongly suggest making a contribution to this site. After that, there are many members that will be willing to send you the latest firmware/animation files. While begging, ask for the latest service manual. Many download sites have very old versions. Also request the All Active Solutions for this model.

Aftermarket toner destroy KM. In general, I recommend OEM on most things Konica.

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 04:20 AM
Thanks. I try my best not to ask stupid questions, or be a burden to those who are offering their time and expertise for free.
I've been (and occasionally still am) on the other side of that curtain, and it's annoying when people don't think for themselves, or expect to be lead step by step through even the most basic process, without even trying to do any looking or research for themselves. I was an AutoCAD instructor for many years, and if I had a dollar for the times I answered the same question multiple times in the same day... ;)

That being said, I'm absolutely certain I'm going to need some help getting this machine back up and running, but I'm going to do my best to only ask questions for which I can't find my own answers.
I also intend to donate to this amazing community, as soon as I get my PayPal login sorted out, hopefully within the next week.

The only things I know I'll likely need at the moment would be the firmware and animation files. Once I become a donator, will there be any problem sourcing those for this machine?

As for the HDD, the consensus seems to be that it's not worth the bother to 'upgrade' to an SSD. Is that still the case?
I have a couple laptop HDDs lying around, but I don't think any of them are over about 60GB, so I'll probably end up buying something new. A recommendation for the best drive to throw in this machine would be appreciated as well.

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 04:24 AM
I strongly suggest making a contribution to this site. After that, there are many members that will be willing to send you the latest firmware/animation files. While begging, ask for the latest service manual. Many download sites have very old versions. Also request the All Active Solutions for this model.

Aftermarket toner destroy KM. In general, I recommend OEM on most things Konica.

Good info, will do. In fact, I'm gonna try again right now. Been having issues logging into PayPal for the past few days for some reason.
Thanks for the heads up about the toner. That's sad news, because it's going to increase my operating costs dramatically, but if it's that or destroy the machine, I'll bit the bullet on the toner I guess.

Can you clarify what the All Active Solutions is? It sounds interesting... :D
My service manual is v1.0 I believe. It's probably quite outdated, as you say.
I didn't want to be too needy.

BillyCarpenter
10-03-2020, 04:24 AM
Thanks. I try my best not to ask stupid questions, or be a burden to those who are offering their time and expertise for free.
I've been (and occasionally still am) on the other side of that curtain, and it's annoying when people don't think for themselves, or expect to be lead step by step through even the most basic process, without even trying to do any looking or research for themselves. I was an AutoCAD instructor for many years, and if I had a dollar for the times I answered the same question multiple times in the same day... ;)

That being said, I'm absolutely certain I'm going to need some help getting this machine back up and running, but I'm going to do my best to only ask questions for which I can't find my own answers.
I also intend to donate to this amazing community, as soon as I get my PayPal login sorted out, hopefully within the next week.

The only things I know I'll likely need at the moment would be the firmware and animation files. Once I become a donator, will there be any problem sourcing those for this machine?

As for the HDD, the consensus seems to be that it's not worth the bother to 'upgrade' to an SSD. Is that still the case?
I have a couple laptop HDDs lying around, but I don't think any of them are over about 60GB, so I'll probably end up buying something new. A recommendation for the best drive to throw in this machine would be appreciated as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about asking stupid questions. A wise man once said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. ;)

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 04:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about asking stupid questions. A wise man once said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. ;)

That man obviously never taught corporate software training classes! :rolleyes:

I got the donation to work!

BillyCarpenter
10-03-2020, 04:29 AM
That man obviously never taught corporate software training classes! :rolleyes:

I got the donation to work!

That's funny. You suppose it was the same man that said: "The Customer is always right?" Hmmmm.....lol

Synaux
10-03-2020, 04:48 AM
Can you clarify what the All Active Solutions is? It sounds interesting... :D
My service manual is v1.0 I believe. It's probably quite outdated, as you say.
I didn't want to be too needy.
All Active Solutions is a document that has all the "Bulletins." These are all the known issues discovered since the the model has been released. Very handy tool. You get a code, control+f in there first and you will often get much more detailed info than the SM.

Version 1 lol

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. You have already exhibited the ability to learn and do your own research so no worries in my book. :cool:

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 02:03 PM
That's funny. You suppose it was the same man that said: "The Customer is always right?" Hmmmm.....lol

Very likely, probably worked in HR. :eek:

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 02:07 PM
All Active Solutions is a document that has all the "Bulletins." These are all the known issues discovered since the the model has been released. Very handy tool. You get a code, control+f in there first and you will often get much more detailed info than the SM.

Version 1 lol

So basically an addendum to the SM? That does sound extremely useful.
So once I know the situation with the machine, how to I go about starting the begging process?
Can I just ask in this thread, or should I make a separate one?
I've seen that SM requests have a separate thread. Should I ask for the other stuff in there as well, or ???

copier tech
10-03-2020, 02:46 PM
Greetings all!
I'm an end user (which will be painfully obvious very shortly), and I'm hoping I can get some advance assistance before I screw something up and become (even more of) a nuisance here.
I've worked in the tech sector for the past 20+ yrs. I'm factory trained on Oce' large format engineering printer/copiers, and have extensive experience in general computer building and troubleshooting.
However, I have very little experience with copier work. We do have a Bizhub c308 at my other office, and it's been absolutely fabulous, which is one of the reasons why I bought this new(er) machine. I've worked on the c308 a little, just some basic stuff like simple consumables replacement, cleaning, and print quality troubleshooting to assist a tech before he came out. I also am the network admin, so I'm sorta familiar with the KMBT web interface, at least the basics of it.

Anyway, I just bought a Bizhub C364e from a state surplus auction for my home office. I've not picked it up yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of things to be preparing for in order to put this machine back in service.
According to the seller, the hard drive has been removed, and the "computer has been wiped", whatever that means. He assured me the machine was in basically functional condition, even without the HDD.
What would you folks suggest as my first steps?
Should I be planning to replace the HDD right away, or is that more involved that I've been lead to believe? I've done fairly extensive searching and reading here on the site, and it seems that a physical, followed by a logical format would be required, and that I may need an animation file? I also see frequent reference to service mode. I'm familiar with such from my Oce' days, but not how to gain access in this KM machine.
I do have the service manual for this machine, but since it's nearly 1500 pages, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, I haven't really dug into it much. Does it explain accessing service mode and how to perform the HDD format, and those other required steps, or will I likely still need some hand-holding from you kind folks?
What other things would you consider to be SOP when testing and refurbing a machine to be put back into service, that I'm probably overlooking?
Have I put myself in a bad situation, or am I likely to have a working copier without a ton of hassle and expense?

Any advice from the masters greatly appreciated!
-E

You have a C308 in your office so bought a 'newer' C364e ?

The C308 is the later model the 4e series is about 5/6 years old.

You can fit any SATA HDD it has to be 320GB or larger delete any partitions first using a USB HDD caddy etc if you use a 2nd hand one.

When you fit to the copier it will prompt you to format it.

​Thats when you will get prompted to install the movie animation firmware, we can supply this for you & the latest base firmware should you want to update the machine (this gives the Airprint option & SMB v3/3 security)

Firmware Update - Printer & Copier Firmware (http://www.copierfirmware.co.uk)

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 04:11 PM
You have a C308 in your office so bought a 'newer' C364e ?

The C308 is the later model the 4e series is about 5/6 years old.

You can fit any SATA HDD it has to be 320GB or larger delete any partitions first using a USB HDD caddy etc if you use a 2nd hand one.

When you fit to the copier it will prompt you to format it.

​Thats when you will get prompted to install the movie animation firmware, we can supply this for you & the latest base firmware should you want to update the machine (this gives the Airprint option & SMB v3/3 security)

Firmware Update - Printer & Copier Firmware (http://www.copierfirmware.co.uk)

Really? Oh man, my research let me down. I was having a hard time finding any sort of release dates on models, but we've had our c308 for about 4 years, and it was several years old when we bought it, so I assumed it was older than the c364e. Plus, just looking at the brochure for both, the 364 appeared to have more 'updated' features, like apps an such. Plus, it's faster, so I figured it was the newer model. That's what I get for assuming I guess. lol

So, for the HDD, why does it need to be 320GB or larger? The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive in it originally. Is that incorrect info?
I'd love to have the animation file(s) and firmware on-hand, so that when I get the machine, I can go ahead and do that part of the process fairly soon, after running basic function checks and doing some cleaning of course.

copier tech
10-03-2020, 05:51 PM
Really? Oh man, my research let me down. I was having a hard time finding any sort of release dates on models, but we've had our c308 for about 4 years, and it was several years old when we bought it, so I assumed it was older than the c364e. Plus, just looking at the brochure for both, the 364 appeared to have more 'updated' features, like apps an such. Plus, it's faster, so I figured it was the newer model. That's what I get for assuming I guess. lol

So, for the HDD, why does it need to be 320GB or larger? The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive in it originally. Is that incorrect info?
I'd love to have the animation file(s) and firmware on-hand, so that when I get the machine, I can go ahead and do that part of the process fairly soon, after running basic function checks and doing some cleaning of course.

The speed is worked out by the model so the C308 is 30 copies per minute your C364e is 36 per min.

The manual says 250GB but they all came with a 320gb hdd.

4 series, 8 series, 9 series latest is i series.

blackcat4866
10-03-2020, 06:20 PM
I'm a little late to the conversation, but all the information you got is correct:

320GB SATA drive.
Logical then Physical format
You'll be prompted to enter the encryption passphrase. IIRC it will be 20 characters, keep typing until it won't take any more characters (doesn't matter which, only that you can type the sequence identically twice). It is entered in the Utilities > Administrator Settings > etc, etc. (you have the manual).
Then you can reload the firmware and movie data.

That's the minimum. When you get to a running condition you can try printing these pages:
From there we can help you diagnose quality issues.
The C364e is a popular model and runs well, just on the verge of obsolescence.
=^..^=

Elmojo
10-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Huh, look at that, I'm learnin'! :)
Thanks so much for the tips so far guys, very helpful stuff.
So if I'm understanding correctly, the encryption code is one I create, once the format is complete?
Just double checking, isn't the physical format first, then the logical? I'm just basing this on my PC experience, not doubting you...

tsbservice
10-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Follow precisely what BC said you never will be disappointed. There are million of reasons to do that and only one he's is TOP-TOP tech of whole good old Earth.

blackcat4866
10-03-2020, 11:05 PM
If you do the physical format first it will take many hours, then the Logical about 5 minutes.
If you do the logical format first it will take 5 minutes, then the physical about 30 minutes. The manual specifies the correct order.
=^..^=

Elmojo
10-04-2020, 12:28 AM
If you do the physical format first it will take many hours, then the Logical about 5 minutes.
If you do the logical format first it will take 5 minutes, then the physical about 30 minutes. The manual specifies the correct order.
=^..^=

I see, said the blind man. :)
That's interesting for sure. I would have thought that the logical format is the phase that creates all the required partitions. These beasts must operate very differently than typical computers.
Glad to know that before I screwed it up.
See? This is exactly the type of knowledge I hoped to gain before touching the machine, in order to avoid costly mistakes.

EDIT: So, a couple other items spring to mind...
1) non-OEM toner is a no-no....how about aftermarket drums and other similar parts and consumables? That a bad idea also, or is some of that passable? I don't know yet what may or may not need replacement, but I'm on a fairly limited budget, since I'm self-employed and work from home. I need to save money wherever I can reasonable do so without hurting the machine.
2) If one or more color toner(s) is empty, will the machine continue to copy/print on black only?
3) Does toner have an expiration date? I see some OEM toner available on eBay for a good price. Should I be concerned its age? Is there a way to tell from photos? I see a code of some sort, can that be decoded for a date?

copier tech
10-04-2020, 12:36 AM
I see, said the blind man. :)
That's interesting for sure. I would have thought that the logical format is the phase that creates all the required partitions. These beasts must operate very differently than typical computers.
Glad to know that before I screwed it up.
See? This is exactly the type of knowledge I hoped to gain before touching the machine, in order to avoid costly mistakes.

A physical format is not required just a logical the machine will prompt you to do this once you fit the HDD & first power on.

blackcat4866
10-04-2020, 01:07 AM
... EDIT: So, a couple other items spring to mind...
1) non-OEM toner is a no-no....how about aftermarket drums and other similar parts and consumables? That a bad idea also, or is some of that passable? I don't know yet what may or may not need replacement, but I'm on a fairly limited budget, since I'm self-employed and work from home. I need to save money wherever I can reasonable do so without hurting the machine.
2) If one or more color toner(s) is empty, will the machine continue to copy/print on black only?
3) Does toner have an expiration date? I see some OEM toner available on eBay for a good price. Should I be concerned its age? Is there a way to tell from photos? I see a code of some sort, can that be decoded for a date?

1) I've never seen aftermarket drums or any other parts for that matter. Definitely not developer, even if it were available.
2) No. It will print nothing when any one cartridge goes empty.
3) Not that I know of. My only worry is that it was stored properly. This summer was particularly hot for several weeks (95+F), and I experienced some partial fusing of toner and developer stored in my car for a few days. We've seen similar occurrences when a toner cartridge was stored on top of a radiator. If the savings are significant, I'd take the chance and be sure to shake the cartridge thoroughly before installing. You can tell when you shake the cartridge of the contents is moving or not.

=^..^=

Elmojo
10-04-2020, 02:00 AM
1) I've never seen aftermarket drums or any other parts for that matter. Definitely not developer, even if it were available.
2) No. It will print nothing when any one cartridge goes empty.
3) Not that I know of. My only worry is that it was stored properly. This summer was particularly hot for several weeks (95+F), and I experienced some partial fusing of toner and developer stored in my car for a few days. We've seen similar occurrences when a toner cartridge was stored on top of a radiator. If the savings are significant, I'd take the chance and be sure to shake the cartridge thoroughly before installing. You can tell when you shake the cartridge of the contents is moving or not.

=^..^=

1. Do you mean you've never used aftermarket drums, or that you've literally never seen them? This is what I was considering, should they be necessary: https://smile.amazon.com/New-Cyan-Drum-Unit-Compatible/dp/B07WV63MR7
I get get the entire set for less than $300 if required. Seemed like a good deal, if they were actually usable, and not going to destroy my machine.
2. bummer
3. Cool, thanks. I found a full set of OEM toner for $200 on eBay. That's the best price I've seen by quite a margin. If you're aware of a good source for consumables in the US, I'd love to know about it.

BillyCarpenter
10-04-2020, 02:11 AM
1. Do you mean you've never used aftermarket drums, or that you've literally never seen them? This is what I was considering, should they be necessary: https://smile.amazon.com/New-Cyan-Drum-Unit-Compatible/dp/B07WV63MR7
I get get the entire set for less than $300 if required. Seemed like a good deal, if they were actually usable, and not going to destroy my machine.
2. bummer
3. Cool, thanks. I found a full set of OEM toner for $200 on eBay. That's the best price I've seen by quite a margin. If you're aware of a good source for consumables in the US, I'd love to know about it.

Just my opinion, but you're taking a big gamble buying compatible drums, DV, toner, ect. I know you're looking to save money, but you could be introducing several problems into the machine at a time when you're trying to get it back up to speed. Personally, I wouldn't take that gamble.

allan
10-04-2020, 02:57 AM
Some of the after market DR512 drum units are shite. The value you get from the original part is well worth it. You do get developer for these but replacing the DV512 developer unit ensures the machine a healthy strain on the engine. The units use "new article" detection chips. Basically an ICP fuse. The consumable life counter gets cleared and in he case of the developer units there is a calibration to set the toner to developer ratio. The only after market spares to use on these should be reset chips. So a good tip is to buy only the B/W drums DR512K and then an after market color chip to change it to a say DR512Y. There is a cost difference between them and getting the chip saves money. For the developer units you can get only DV512K units and convert them but its slightly more involved to do that but the difference in cost of the DV512K and DV512/C/M/Y is ridicules. The only differences on those are the chips and a rail that prevents it form being installed in the DV512K's position and visa versa. The rails are removable, then install color rails from the unit you are replacing. Fuser rebuilds saves a bunch but you need to be technically minded to get it disassembled and re assembled. Transfer belt unit is also worth replacing instead of messing around replacing the belt and cleaning blade. Océ you say, then you should have no problem with that in comparison to changing toner transfer and OPC belts. The 3165 engine makes awesome prints.

If it needs consumables and the total count on the machine is under 500 000 its worth spending on the maintenance. No 3de party toner for this machine or any other Konica Minolta color machines.

You can test and do maintenance without the HDD. If it did include an external fiery print controller that is basically an Intel PC, disconnect it and use the onboard controller its really good enough and the Fiery does not mean much if its not regularly calibrated. To disable the controller there is a setting in the service mode menu or by changing a soft switch. The calibration equipment could set you back a bit.

The HDD in the Fiery is a 250GB or 320GB may be 500GB to use in the machine, then put one of your smaller dives in the fiery and install the operating system of your choice to have a spare PC for something like a media center.

Hope for your part the machine has been maintained up till the present.

Elmojo
10-04-2020, 03:20 AM
Very helpful Allan, thanks much!
You're absolutely right, the price difference between the black and color...everything, on this machine is just silly.
I truly hope I don't have to replace any developer units, those things are quite spendy! If I do have to replace one (or more), I will absolutely do the 'chip conversion trick', as you suggest.

I didn't see any sort of external boxes in the photos, but I can't figure out what else that odd line about 'wiping the computer' in the auction description would have meant. I guess I'll find out Monday afternoon. ;)
We had a Fiery External RIP on one of our graphics plotters at one of my previous jobs, and man I hated that thing with a passion. It caused every job to take ages to process, and half the time it would crash at around 89% complete anyway. I never really saw the quality improvement either.
If it does indeed have a Fiery, that's a great idea to yank the drive for use in the c364e. Waste not, want not! lol

I'm expecting it to have been fairly well maintained, since I was told that this is part of a batch of machines coming off lease from a technical college. I spoke with the equipment manager for that facility, and he was fairly forthcoming with the info. He was the one who suggested that the HDD could be reinstalled using an COTS unit, which shows he at least has some bit of background on these machines.

Elmojo
10-05-2020, 11:12 PM
Update!
So I have the machine home, and it looks good. Very clean, no obvious signs of abuse or damage.

However, upon power up, I get an orange light on the front panel (and on tray 3) and the following error message: "An internal error has occurred. System will reboot and error will be cleared."
I have no options, other than [job list], which takes me to a normal looking empty job list for a few seconds, before the machine does as it said and reboots.
Upon restart, I get a 'replenish paper' message, followed shortly by the above error. Rinse and repeat.
Could this be because the output sorter attachment has been removed?
I plan to reinstall it, but needed the updated service manual first to make sure I did it correctly, and according to the rules I can't request it yet because I haven't been registered for 15 days. :/
Also, there's no HDD installed, which could be the issue as well I assume.

I was intending to just consider it a 'wipe and new install' like I would an unknown computer, and do a fresh firmware update, but I can't seem to locate the service port for the USB stick. Is it one of those under the spring loaded cover at the rear right where you plug in the LAN cable or Fax lines? If so, which one? IF not, where the heck is it? I see the one on the front near the touch panel, but not the rear one.

Anyway, bit of a rocky start, but I'm confidant with a little help from you folks, I can get this thing breathing! :)

blackcat4866
10-05-2020, 11:31 PM
I was intending to just consider it a 'wipe and new install' like I would an unknown computer, and do a fresh firmware update, but I can't seem to locate the service port for the USB stick. Is it one of those under the spring loaded cover at the rear right where you plug in the LAN cable or Fax lines? If so, which one? IF not, where the heck is it? I see the one on the front near the touch panel, but not the rear one.

Anyway, bit of a rocky start, but I'm confidant with a little help from you folks, I can get this thing breathing! :)

Right there:

=^..^=

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 12:00 AM
Got it! Ok, so here's another one....
After plugging in the USB stick with the firmware files on it, and powering on the machine, rather than booting into Firmware update mode as expected, I get another error, C-FA14.
According to my searching, this seems to be a faulty HDD or firmware glitch. The suggested action is to update the FW and/or replace the HDD. The firmware update is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I'm wondering if the HDD wasn't properly uninstalled in software?
Does this mean that possibly it's not reading my USB stick, or is there something else I'm supposed to be doing to kick it into Firmware loading mode?
Also, is there a way to get into Service Mode before the error trips, or do I have to let it finish booting first?

blackcat4866
10-06-2020, 12:36 AM
I believe there's a hard Utility key. Hold Utility while powering up to enter service mode.
You do have to format the drive in service mode before the firmware.

If you've got these things right, maybe it doesn't like your hard drive.
=^..^=

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 12:56 AM
I don't have a HDD installed at the moment. I was going to update the FW and make sure the machine is functional before buying a new drive.
Going to search for the Utility key now, thanks.

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 01:38 AM
Progress!
Also, I'm an idiot, and I mean that in all capital letters...IDIOT.
All this time, something has been nagging at me, because little things have not been adding up here and there.
I finally figured out what it is: This is NOT a model c364e, it's a 364e, no 'C'.
I'm sure you're all are giggling right now because that's an obvious difference to you and you'd never make the mistake of buying a monochrome copier, thinking it was a color machine. :mad:
Me, being me, got excited and jumped the gun without looking quite close enough at the description and photos. Of course, I didn't even know there was both a color and mono machine with such similar model numbers until just a few days ago, but that's no excuse.

On the upside, after logging into service mode and uninstalling the (nonexistent) HDD in software, the errors went away and I have a fully functional machine, or so it appears thus far.
Having a mono machine also greatly reduces the consumable costs, so all is not lost, but I still feel like a moron, and would not have paid quite as much for the machine.
Oh well, live and learn.

That explains why I couldn't get it to accept the firmware on the flash drive. Of course not, it was the wrong FW for this machine!

Is there any way a mod could edit the title of this thread, so-as not to mislead anyone else finding it later, thinking this was useful info about a model c364e?

Custom Search