PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

Custom Search

Pages : [1] 2

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 04:11 AM
Hi all,
In an effort not to cause even MORE confusion, I'm starting a new thread for my Bizhub 364e.
In case you missed the fun in the other thread, what I thought was a c364e...was not. Totally my fault. Doh.

Anyway, the good news is that I appear to have a fully functional (monochrome!) copier in excellent condition.
It needs a hard drive (or SSD), since the previous owner pulled it due to privacy concerns.
The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive originally, but the experts here say it was more likely a 320GB drive.
Looking online, either of those are tough to find these days.
What should I get?
Can I get something like this cheap 360GB SSD (https://smile.amazon.com/KingSpec-360GB-Drive-Internal-Q-360/dp/B076WX8JPH), or is that asking for trouble?
Is there a better option? If so, please point me in the right direction.
I can't see the benefit of a large drive really, since I have no desire to store large files on the drive. Everything I scan will be transferred directly to my server.
Or am I (as usual) missing something?

Also, I need the latest firmware for this machine, if anyone would be kind enough to share.
In particular, I'd love to have Airprint ability, and anything else that has been added along the way.
I'm a little bummed about losing the ability to print color, even though I never really had it, so any bells and whistles I can scrounge back would sooth my bruised ego. :p

I'd also really like to have the correct service manual, and any other bulletins or docs that you think would be helpful to me.
I know I'm supposed to ask for SMs in the specific thread, but I can't since I haven't been registered long enough. Sorry about that. Hopefully I won't get myself banned for breaching the rules. :eek:

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 05:15 AM
problem is that the HDD is filled with several partitions, an SSD is just ram chips and are difficult to partition.
if anyone here has used an SSD in a bizhub, please comment, i've been hesitant to try.
also, the monochrome did use 250s.

copyman
10-06-2020, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
In an effort not to cause even MORE confusion, I'm starting a new thread for my Bizhub 364e.
In case you missed the fun in the other thread, what I thought was a c364e...was not. Totally my fault. Doh.

Anyway, the good news is that I appear to have a fully functional (monochrome!) copier in excellent condition.
It needs a hard drive (or SSD), since the previous owner pulled it due to privacy concerns.
The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive originally, but the experts here say it was more likely a 320GB drive.
Looking online, either of those are tough to find these days.
What should I get?
Can I get something like this cheap 360GB SSD (https://smile.amazon.com/KingSpec-360GB-Drive-Internal-Q-360/dp/B076WX8JPH), or is that asking for trouble?
Is there a better option? If so, please point me in the right direction.
I can't see the benefit of a large drive really, since I have no desire to store large files on the drive. Everything I scan will be transferred directly to my server.
Or am I (as usual) missing something?

Also, I need the latest firmware for this machine, if anyone would be kind enough to share.
In particular, I'd love to have Airprint ability, and anything else that has been added along the way.
I'm a little bummed about losing the ability to print color, even though I never really had it, so any bells and whistles I can scrounge back would sooth my bruised ego. :p

I'd also really like to have the correct service manual, and any other bulletins or docs that you think would be helpful to me.
I know I'm supposed to ask for SMs in the specific thread, but I can't since I haven't been registered long enough. Sorry about that. Hopefully I won't get myself banned for breaching the rules. :eek:

I have both 250gb & 320gb pulled from working Bizhubs. Maybe the color models use the bigger 320gb because that is all I've seen in the 4 series. I believe 250gb I have came from older B&W models like the Biz 223, etc

PM me if you end up needing one of these.

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 02:43 PM
problem is that the HDD is filled with several partitions, an SSD is just ram chips and are difficult to partition.

Difficult for the copier to partition, you mean?
I've used SSDs in computers for years, even in Linux-based installs, and have never had any issues. Some of them have multiple partitions. I've never heard of an SSD not being able to support any of the same partitioning schemes as a regular mechanical hard drive. I wonder if that's something specific to the controller on the MFP board, and the way it handles the file tables or something?

Regardless, I want to get whatever will work best for this machine without spending a fortune, since I already have more in this machine than I'm comfortable with.
If I get a regular laptop-style mechanical hard drive, is there any problem with going larger than the original 250/320GB size? Is there a limit that it can handle?
The reason I'm asking is that oddly, some of the larger drives (~500GB) are actually cheaper than the smaller ones, since they are still in the 'usable' range for PCs.
Also, is there any particular brand that these copiers tend to like or dislike? I know Dell laptops hate Fujitsu drives, for example. Anything like that?

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 04:34 PM
One other thing I noticed; just above the hard drive caddy, there's a small purple cable. It appears to have been unplugged (see attached image).
Should I reconnect it, or leave it alone?

Max
10-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Its only for the shutter slider to cover service usb .Not 100% but I think that's how the copier knows to boot up from USB when doing F/W upgrade

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 05:08 PM
^^^^^^^yes^^^^^^^^

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 05:15 PM
When you partition a spinning drive there are areas of the physical platters that can be divided for sunsequent partitions whereas an ssd is just a bunch of ram chips in series. It's stupid because there is no physical area to reserve plus copiers can't run TRIM which is detrimental to the SSD health.
Ever try to partition a flash drive? Natively through an OS without some tricky software?
An SSD is just a usb stick on steroids.

Again if someone else here has been successfully installing one in a copier please speak up.

emujo2
10-06-2020, 05:47 PM
It looks like a SSD drive will accept the physical connectors..Have you just tried throwing it in there, electronically installing the drive then formatting it through service mode? E

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 06:31 PM
Its only for the shutter slider to cover service usb .Not 100% but I think that's how the copier knows to boot up from USB when doing F/W upgrade

^^^^^^^yes^^^^^^^^

So does that mean I should plug it back in? Otherwise, it seems like it may not know when to boot to Firmware update mode...?

When you partition a spinning drive there are areas of the physical platters that can be divided for sunsequent partitions whereas an ssd is just a bunch of ram chips in series. It's stupid because there is no physical area to reserve plus copiers can't run TRIM which is detrimental to the SSD health.
Ever try to partition a flash drive? Natively through an OS without some tricky software?

Again if someone else here has been successfully installing one in a copier please speak up.

It looks like a SSD drive will accept the physical connectors..Have you just tried throwing it in there, electronically installing the drive then formatting it through service mode? E

All good points, never thought about it that way!
I found an old Samsung 640GB spinny drive in my parts bin. Should I do any pre-formatting or anything in Windows before I try it in the copier, or will it take care of all that for me?

Also, I'd really like to update the firmware before I do much else on the machine. Does anyone have the latest for this machine? I'd really appreciate it. Pretty please? :p
EDIT: Scratch that, someone was kind enough to PM me the FW, gracias!

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 08:28 PM
On the PC just remove all partitions and create a new one. Don't format it or assign a drive letter.
When it's installed on the copier after the messages\errors just go into admin mode and select format. Takes maybe 5 min.
Reboot, load movie data and that should be it.

Max
10-06-2020, 09:07 PM
Yes. Plug it in.

So does that mean I should plug it back in?
Otherwise, it seems like it may not know when to boot to Firmware update mode...?

All good points, never thought about it that way!
I found an old Samsung 640GB spinny drive in my parts bin. Should I do any pre-formatting or anything in Windows before I try it in the copier, or will it take care of all that for me?

Also, I'd really like to update the firmware before I do much else on the machine. Does anyone have the latest for this machine? I'd really appreciate it. Pretty please? :p
EDIT: Scratch that, someone was kind enough to PM me the FW, gracias!

EarthKmTech
10-06-2020, 09:59 PM

I had a c253 with an 2.5" ide to mSata ssd adapter and 64gb ssd the machine formatted it and used it perfectly fine.

I now have a bh36 and a c284(e upgrade fw) have tried a 240gb sata ssd in the b36 no problem but have not tried in the c284. I dont have that ssd anymore to test it either but dont see why it wont work. I use them in computers all the time.

Of course TRIM wont be supported on the mfp and eventually the ssd will become as slow as a p.o.s. mechanical drive with heavy use but it is what it is.

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 10:00 PM
Sweet, thanks Synth!
I was gonna try to drop in this old Samsung 640GB drive I found in my parts box, but I think there may be something amiss with it.
When I hook it up to my PC with my little forensic box thing (just a USB bridge really), it locks up the Windows disk management console and won't let me access the drive to format it or anything.
The drive itself sounds fine, no unhappy spindle sounds or anything, but something about it isn't playing nice.
I may still try to drop it in the Bizhub and see if it can throw some linux-fu on it, but it looks like I may have to actually *gasp* buy a new drive for $20.
I don't mind the cost, but I hate being down for several more days while I wait for Amazon... grrrr.... The impatience gene is in full effect, can you tell? ;)

Also, I just can't figure out what's up with the firmware thing.
I have the files copied to a flash drive. Two, actually. I've tried both a 1GB and 2GB drive. Both are USB2.0, both are FAT32 formatted.
I've plugged the purple sensor cable back into the board on the copier.
When I plug in either drive and power on the copier, one of 2 things happens:
1) It boots as normal, ignoring the flash drive completely
2) It sits at a black screen for a while (couple minutes), with the activity light on the flash drive blinking erratically, then eventually boots to the normal main screen

Never do I see anything about a Firmware update, as shown in the SM.
What am I doing wrong?

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 11:03 PM
for the FW, after you extract, open the folders until you see the list in the pic.
hit ctl+a and copy to the root of the flash drive.

movie data just the .tar goes on the drive as is do not extract.

posting this for others too, not just you :)
https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/46984d1602021790-bizhub-364e-hdd-sdd-replacement-fwtree-jpg

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 11:10 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I did, no dice.

Synthohol
10-06-2020, 11:22 PM
can you try with and without the purple wire unplugged?
if the sensor does not tell the machine to boot from the stick it may be why it does not take.
there are 2 types of photosensors, always on and always off (signaling blocked/unblocked)
in this case when the sensor is blocked it wont try to boot from there so by unplugging it you have a 50/50 shot of the copier initiating boot from usb.

Elmojo
10-06-2020, 11:34 PM
can you try with and without the purple wire unplugged?

Sorry, forgot to include that I've tried it both with and without the cable plugged in, no difference.

Synthohol
10-07-2020, 12:11 AM
well as a last resort you can try just initializing the whole damn enchilada.
service mode, system 2, initialize, system data clear (the top left one)
after reset, make sure HDD is set to "installed" if its at "not set" hit installed. dont be alarmed it takes up to 30 seconds for the selection to switch to installed.
reboot, LOGICAL format HDD
then try firmware again.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 03:27 AM
Eureka!
I've successfully updated the firmware, thanks to Sythohol's excellent instructions on how to get my dang USB drive to play nice with the copier.

Now that's it's updated, the SM says I have a few additional things to do, but it doesn't really say how....

• Perform the following steps after the firmware has been upgraded from function version 6 to function version 7.
1. Using [Service Mode] -> [System 2] -> [Install Data], upgrade the version of movie data and voice data. Once I get my HDD formatting issues sorted out, I'm assuming this will be fairly straightforward
2. When the function version is upgraded from version 6 to 7, use [Service Mode] -> [System 2] -> [[Software Switch Setting]] and set the function version change. I think I found this in the SM. I'll ask again if I can't get it fixed.
3. Turn OFF and ON the main power switch and sub-power switch.
4. Upgrade the printer driver version. Is this referring to driver's on the PC (client) side, or something in the copier itself?

And that takes me to my next problem....
The hard drive is physically installed. I got an error code that basically meant it wasn't formatted. I went into the menu, and it prompted me to format, which I did.
However, now I'm getting a C-D010, which according to the SM, means the HDD still isn't formatted, but in a different way? It refers me to the formatting process, which I'm attempting to do per previous advice (logical format first), but it's stuck at 0% progress, and has been for about 15mins now. The touch panel is unresponsive. My only options are to wait or hard power off.
What should I do, and did I go obviously wrong somewhere?

EDIT:
Ok, I'm slowly sorting things out here. I've learned (I think) that regardless of the size of the drive, the copier is only going to partition and use 250GB. At least that seems to be what mine did. I got into a status screen that showed a formatted HDD size of about 250GB (minus overhead). It still was throwing the error, so I thought I'd start over.
I pulled the drive and connected it to my PC via my USB cradle. In Windows Disk Management, I deleted all 12 (;)) partitions, then just left it unallocated this time.
I reinstalled it in the Konica, and did a logical format from Service Mode, which completed in maybe 15secs. It's not running a physical format, which seems like it's gonna take a while, but at least it's working, or seems to be anyway. The numbers are increasing, which I consider progress. It doesn't take much to impress me. :p
I'll let it run overnight and see how things stand in the AM.

Synthohol
10-07-2020, 04:23 AM
thats fantastic!!
great job!!

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 04:39 AM
thats fantastic!!
great job!!

I appreciate the encouragement, but let's hold off on the champagne until we see if any of this actually works! lol
Even if it does (the formatting), I still have to install the movie data for the animation guide, and then find all the other stuff it's telling me will be missing, such as voice data (huh?), fonts, etc...
Plus, I'm hoping to get Airprint, scan to USB, and a couple other bells and whistles enabled if possible.
Still a long road ahead, but there's been good progress for sure, and I want to thank those of you who have helped me so much thus far.
It's impossible that I would be at this point without your assistance and patience.
Format check...24% WooHoo! :rolleyes:
I'm going to bed. ;)

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 02:42 PM
Ok, I'm at a loss here.
Overnight, the physical format completed. I rebooted this morning, and when it came back up, I got the message that I needed to reset the encryption password or format the HDD.
So I set the encryption, and it seemed to accept it.
After the next reset, however, I got the exact same message, so I thought maybe it needed the format as well, so I let it do that from the Admin section on the panel.
After the next reset, I'm back to the D010 error! :mad:
I tried to install the movie data after the encryption and format steps, thinking that perhaps it was really just that missing data it was complaining about, but when I select the [movie] section, press [set] and {start}, it says "NG" beside the movie area, so I assume this means it doesn't like the file I have on the USB drive?

Now what?!
I was so close....

Synthohol
10-07-2020, 04:24 PM
could still be a HDD issue.
i had one 2 weeks ago i tried 2 used HDDs no joy. i replaced the hdd with a new 360g and the sata and power cable too and the issue was solved.
also unless you need bizhub secure, dont bother with encryption, just format it in admin mode.

tsbservice
10-07-2020, 04:24 PM
You don't need to set HDD encryption after physical format just skip it.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys. So I'm leaning towards maybe it just doesn't like this physical drive.
I think I'm gonna try one of my other, smaller drives.
It probably won't work right, but I'll at least see if the errors change.
In the meantime, I'll order a new one and try that when it comes in.

EDIT: Ok, that's a no-go on the smaller drive. It immediately kicks out a C-D011 "hard drive our of specification" error. So much for that. ;)

I'm gonna wipe this larger drive and try one more time, while I wait for the new one to be delivered...

tsbservice
10-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Try this way, he is knowing his stuff.

i have used 320s and 250s remove all partitions ,install, physical then logical format. works every time. sometimes can get away with just logical. fyi hdds with bh secure will appear as bad drives, in pcs. need physical format in a konica copier. to be usable.

copier tech
10-07-2020, 06:08 PM
Ok, I'm at a loss here.
Overnight, the physical format completed. I rebooted this morning, and when it came back up, I got the message that I needed to reset the encryption password or format the HDD.
So I set the encryption, and it seemed to accept it.
After the next reset, however, I got the exact same message, so I thought maybe it needed the format as well, so I let it do that from the Admin section on the panel.
After the next reset, I'm back to the D010 error! :mad:
I tried to install the movie data after the encryption and format steps, thinking that perhaps it was really just that missing data it was complaining about, but when I select the [movie] section, press [set] and {start}, it says "NG" beside the movie area, so I assume this means it doesn't like the file I have on the USB drive?

Now what?!
I was so close....

When I fit a used HDD to a Bizhub I format it in Windows using a USB caddy then delete all the partition etc then when you fit it in the copier & prompt you to format it.

This is how a new HDD comes with no active partition.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 07:56 PM
So here's where I am now...
I started over as suggested, wiped the drive in Windows, reinstalled into copier.
Service mode....physical format....some time later...complete...reset machine.
Machine back up, shows message "Reset the encryption passphrase or format the HDD".
We've established earlier that encryption is unnecessary, but I'm reluctant to format the drive through Admin mode, since that's what I did previously, and that resulted in the C-D010 error.
Should I try it again, or do it a different way?
Should I go back into Svc Mode and do a logical format through that menu, or just log in as Admin and do it there?
I've done this so many times I'm losing track of what hasn't worked, other than everything. :/

copier tech
10-07-2020, 08:28 PM
I started over as suggested, wiped the drive in Windows, reinstalled into copier.
Machine back up, shows message "Reset the encryption passphrase or format the HDD".
We've established earlier that encryption is unnecessary, but I'm reluctant to format the drive through Admin mode, since that's what I did previously, and that resulted in the C-D010 error.
Should I go back into Svc Mode and do a logical format through that menu, or just log in as Admin and do it there?
I've done this so many times I'm losing track of what hasn't worked, other than everything. :/

I only use CE mode to format the HDD & only ever do a logical format.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 08:53 PM

I appreciate that, but unfortunately that's not working in my case.
When I put in the drive without any formatting on it, I never get the prompt to just do the logical format, and if I try to invoke it manually through Service Mode, it hangs at 0% and never progresses.
If I try to do it through the Admin console (is that the same as CE mode?), I don't have any options for HDD anything. In fact, I can't even log in. All I get is Consumables Check, and Device Info.

My only options at this point are to do the encryption thing, or to format the HDD through the Admin console screen, since I've just completed the physical format and powered it back on.

Also, why is the forum no longer notifying me of new posts?

copier tech
10-07-2020, 09:04 PM
When I put in the drive without any formatting on it, I never get the prompt to just do the logical format, and if I try to invoke it manually through Service Mode, it hangs at 0% and never progresses.
If I try to do it through the Admin console (is that the same as CE mode?), I don't have any options for HDD anything. In fact, I can't even log in. All I get is Consumables Check, and Device Info.

My only options at this point are to do the encryption thing, or to format the HDD through the Admin console screen, since I've just completed the physical format and powered it back on.

CE = Service mode (copier engineer mode)

Delete the partition in your HDD caddy so it shows as 100% unallocated space then fit the drive & format in CE mode.

srvctec
10-07-2020, 09:04 PM

Same here.

srvctec
10-07-2020, 09:11 PM

Make sure the HDD is shown as installed in service mode (CE) before trying any of the formatting. Also, always power down using the MAIN power switch inside the front door (hopefully that's how you've been powering down and back up again) when making any changes in the CE mode to set those changes.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 09:35 PM
CE = Service mode (copier engineer mode)

Delete the partition in your HDD caddy so it shows as 100% unallocated space then fit the drive & format in CE mode.

Aha! So CE mode = Svc Mode. I guess Admin mode is just Admin mode? :)
That's exactly what I did previously (wiped in Windows, left all unallocated), but when I boot it up that way, I am unable to format it logical in CE mode. It just hangs at 0%, as I mentioned before.
The only format I can get it to do is the physical format, also from CE mode, and that of course takes quite a while. Once it's complete, I get that message I noted a couple posts back about needing to format or set encryption.
Could all this just be down to a bum drive? If I buy a new one and pop it in, is it likely that everything will work as advertised and I won't have all these headaches? If so, I'll order one right now.

Make sure the HDD is shown as installed in service mode (CE) before trying any of the formatting. Also, always power down using the MAIN power switch inside the front door (hopefully that's how you've been powering down and back up again) when making any changes in the CE mode to set those changes.

Yep, the HDD shows as 'installed' under CE mode.
Yes, I always use the power switch behind the front door, and wait 10secs between cycles, as noted in the Service Manual.

tsbservice
10-07-2020, 09:41 PM

Format it in CE mode(logical). CE=Service as you already learned.

Elmojo
10-07-2020, 10:08 PM
I apologize, I must not be articulating this clearly, or maybe my posts are getting auto-translated into Swahili? :p

Let me try again... A logical format, in CE mode, of a fully wiped (unallocated) drive, does not work on this machine.
I navigate to [State Confirmation] -> [Memory/HDD Adj.] -> [HDD format] and choose [Logical], and press {Start}.
The LED around the start button turns from blue to orange, and the status window shows "Result 0%".
It just sits there as long as I care to leave it.

I'm sorry that I'm being slightly less than cordial, especially since I'm begging for help, but this has been a rather frustrating couple days.
Please bear with me, I know we'll get it!

...and I'm STILL not getting new post notifications. I've un- and re-subscribed to the thread. Anything else I can do? I don't want to miss any replies!

blackcat4866
10-07-2020, 11:48 PM
This is why most techs do not install drives with unknown provenance. So you've spent 8 or 10 hours trying to save $20. Is your time worth $2 per hour?

Buy the new HDD and be done with it.
=^..^=

Elmojo
10-08-2020, 01:35 AM
This is why most techs do not install drives with unknown provenance. So you've spent 8 or 10 hours trying to save $20. Is your time worth $2 per hour?

Buy the new HDD and be done with it.
=^..^=

Already ordered the new drive, just trying to get the machine running until it comes in, so I can work on setting up the network printing and all that jazz.
I was trying to get the process sorted out beforehand, so I could do it right when the new drive arrives.

I'm also a bit confused, because the service manual was apparently translated from Japanese, and not particularly well.
There's lots of odd phrasing and such that makes it hard to follow the line of reasoning when working through a particular process.
I used to do some technical writing, so maybe I'm a little more sensitive than others to this sort of thing, but when you're carrying out a complicated technical process, even minor errors of grammar or strangely-worded instructions can cause real confusion.
Also, it seems that most of you experienced techs don't really seem to follow the process outlined in the SM, so that adds a layer of adventure to things as well. ;)
I know this all seems pretty straightforward to most of you, but imagine it's your first day on the job. Your boss hands you the service manual, says 'go fix that machine', then gives you a different set of verbal instructions that he knows will save you a bunch of time and hassle because he's done it that way for years. You've never even seen the machine before, though, and he's not going on the call with you. Oh, and another tech who's been with the company forever says "Nah, do it this other way, it has always worked for me".
See my dilemma? I'll get it eventually, just please be patient with me. :p

blackcat4866
10-08-2020, 02:27 AM
I'm also a bit confused, because the service manual was apparently translated from Japanese, and not particularly well.
There's lots of odd phrasing and such that makes it hard to follow the line of reasoning when working through a particular process.
I used to do some technical writing, so maybe I'm a little more sensitive than others to this sort of thing, but when you're carrying out a complicated technical process, even minor errors of grammar or strangely-worded instructions can cause real confusion.

There are some truly comical moments. "deveroper", "lump unit", and some phasing like "Please wait for a while." Exactly how long is "a while"? Will I ever know? Probably not.

To add interest, often different sections of the manual are written and translated by different groups. So often the exact same part may have 3 or 4 unique names, with no real way of determining if sensor PS1 in section 5, is also the exit sensor in section 7, or "photointerrupter" in the parts manual.

Or the next machine in a machine family is copied/edited from the previous document, and many of the changes are correctly marked ...

There's a whole thread on that. =^..^=

Elmojo
10-08-2020, 02:47 AM
Sooo, not just me then? ;)
Sounds they need to hire the Oce' tech writers. Say what you want about their machines (the new ones especially suck since bought out by Canon), but the older SRS manuals were on point.
I vividly recall my first day at a previous job, when part of my duties was the care and feeding (and occasional complete rebuild) of a couple Oce' 9800 large format copiers. We called these the Green Beast, and not because of the amount of work they could put out. The service manual was something like 2200 pages. It came bound with Chicago posts. The first time I was the SRS manual, I thought I'd have a stroke, but it was so well written and organized, that almost anyone could diagnose (if not fix) a problem within about 10 minutes, just by reading the error code and looking it up in the 'Oce' bible'.
I mean, this silly contraption (the machine, not the manual lol) had an actual key like a car to switch it from OFF to RUN, to 'Service Mode'.
I loved/Hated that thing. It was the only thing about that job I miss.

So here's a weird one...
I figured that I'd just pull the drive and go back to fiddling with the network stuff until the new HDD arrives.
I removed the drive, then powered the machine back on to uninstall it in software.
I log into CE, go to the menu for HDD, and press the button to tell it that the Hard Drive is in fact NOT installed and.... nada.
I know it takes a while, but I waited over a minute, and it never flipped. I tried it twice, nothing. It won't uninstall. Huh. Now what?
I can just wait until the new drive comes, since I'll need that switch back on anyway, but I'm nowhere near that patient. Plus, I wanted to try to get it set up on my network and printing in the meantime.

femaster
10-08-2020, 04:10 AM
As for formatting, after clearing it out on a windows PC, do the physical format, reboot. You then get the message to reset encryption or format. Go back into service mode and do the logical. The logical should work after you've done the physical, if not then it's most likely an issue with the hard drive you are using.

Elmojo
10-08-2020, 04:58 AM
As for formatting, after clearing it out on a windows PC, do the physical format, reboot. You then get the message to reset encryption or format. Go back into service mode and do the logical. The logical should work after you've done the physical, if not then it's most likely an issue with the hard drive you are using.

Tried that multiple times, no bueno.
I have to assume the drive is somehow funky.
I'm just gonna wait for the new one and try again.

tsbservice
10-08-2020, 07:17 AM
Sooo, not just me then? ;)
Sounds they need to hire the Oce' tech writers. Say what you want about their machines (the new ones especially suck since bought out by Canon), but the older SRS manuals were on point.
I vividly recall my first day at a previous job, when part of my duties was the care and feeding (and occasional complete rebuild) of a couple Oce' 9800 large format copiers. We called these the Green Beast, and not because of the amount of work they could put out. The service manual was something like 2200 pages. It came bound with Chicago posts. The first time I was the SRS manual, I thought I'd have a stroke, but it was so well written and organized, that almost anyone could diagnose (if not fix) a problem within about 10 minutes, just by reading the error code and looking it up in the 'Oce' bible'.
I mean, this silly contraption (the machine, not the manual lol) had an actual key like a car to switch it from OFF to RUN, to 'Service Mode'.
I loved/Hated that thing. It was the only thing about that job I miss.

So here's a weird one...
I figured that I'd just pull the drive and go back to fiddling with the network stuff until the new HDD arrives.
I removed the drive, then powered the machine back on to uninstall it in software.
I log into CE, go to the menu for HDD, and press the button to tell it that the Hard Drive is in fact NOT installed and.... nada.
I know it takes a while, but I waited over a minute, and it never flipped. I tried it twice, nothing. It won't uninstall. Huh. Now what?
I can just wait until the new drive comes, since I'll need that switch back on anyway, but I'm nowhere near that patient. Plus, I wanted to try to get it set up on my network and printing in the meantime.

Plug HDD back then go to uninstall it feom CE mode.

Synthohol
10-08-2020, 12:16 PM
the service manual was apparently translated from Japanese, and not particularly well.
HAHAHAHAHA you have no idea how that carries even into the verbiage on the control panel.
the c6500 during an adjustment says "please to set a mark of green paper......"
no, there is a green triangle that prints on the sheet.

Elmojo
10-08-2020, 02:06 PM
I thought I did that earlier, but I'll try it again, thanks.

HAHAHAHAHA you have no idea how that carries even into the verbiage on the control panel.
the c6500 during an adjustment says "please to set a mark of green paper......"
no, there is a green triangle that prints on the sheet.

:D:D

Elmojo
10-08-2020, 05:12 PM

Nope, no good.
It doesn't seem to care if the drive is plugged in or not, it just doesn't want to let me uninstall it.
I press [Not Installed] and wait, and .... nothing happens.
I know the screen isn't locked up, since the keypad numbers register touch, and I can still back out of the screen with the [End] button.
Very strange....
I guess I'll just leave it installed, since the new drive is supposed to be here tomorrow.
It didn't do this until I updated to the new firmware, could that have anything to do with it? Maybe the function 7 software assumes the HDD is installed and won't hear otherwise? ;)

srvctec
10-08-2020, 05:25 PM
Nope, no good.
It doesn't seem to care if the drive is plugged in or not, it just doesn't want to let me uninstall it.
I know the screen isn't locked up, since the keypad numbers register touch, and I can still back out of the screen with the [End] button.
Very strange....
I guess I'll just leave it installed, since the new drive is supposed to be here tomorrow.
It didn't do this until I updated to the new firmware, could that have anything to do with it? Maybe the function 7 software assumes the HDD is installed and won't hear otherwise? ;)Shouldn't have anything to do with the F/W as in any version of F/W, I've always been able to select uninstall prior to removing a HDD from these machines. Not sure what's going on.

Have you ever done a clear all data yet on this machine? If not, I'd definitely suggest that and maybe it will clear up some of the issues you're having.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201008/107c5d671fbcdb55da17a88ea90a1924.jpg

zoool
10-08-2020, 09:23 PM
do it. clear all data. after this reset machine and go to system 1, install HDD after icon change go to state confirmation Memory/HDD Adj and on second side you have HDD. you must formatting in logicaly..

Jumping Jack Flash
10-09-2020, 12:25 AM
Nope, no good.
Very strange....
It didn't do this until I updated to the new firmware, could that have anything to do with it? Maybe the function 7 software assumes the HDD is installed and won't hear otherwise? ;)

Hi,
C-D010 and 011 errors mean that the device has lost communication with the HDD.
You may have disconnected the cables before turning off the HDD in CE mode.
I also do not recommend deleting partitions and formatting by a Windows computer.
Check the SATA version for SSD, it should be 6.05 and try to find some repair FW for SATA.
In my opinion, you tortured the HDD.
Good luck

Custom Search