PDA

View Full Version : C454e FAX KIT 511 ISSUE

Custom Search

blinxwap
10-10-2020, 05:36 PM
I have a C454e with fax kit 511 i the field when connecting the fax line i get a static like tone on the machine when on auto receive, connecting a telephone with the fax line still no tone , when connecting the telephone on the line there is a dail tone but not on the machine have uninstalled fax kit and disconnected it , did initialization still no tone either way its connected witha straight fax line from the tel port of with both a phone lone and fax any suggestionshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201010/25f74d7ad2c9186edf75bc21593910df.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Phil B.
10-10-2020, 05:41 PM
I have a C454e with fax kit 511 i the field when connecting the fax line i get a static like tone on the machine when on auto receive, connecting a telephone with the fax line still no tone , when connecting the telephone on the line there is a dail tone but not on the machine have uninstalled fax kit and disconnected it , did initialization still no tone either way its connected witha straight fax line from the tel port of with both a phone lone and fax any suggestionshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201010/25f74d7ad2c9186edf75bc21593910df.jpg

sounds like a VOIP line

blazebusiness
10-10-2020, 05:53 PM
sounds like a VOIP line

Yes, it does.

Another funny thing I have seen a lot is many customers that have small Brother faxes or small Canon faxes can fax ok on a voip line but hook up a Konica mfp and it will sometimes have fax issues.

Then you are stuck trying to explain to the customer why your Konica fax doesn't work on that line when their previous small machine did ok.

Static sounds on the line are a dead give away that you don't have a clean connection. Get a phone tech on that starting with the wiring in the jack.

EarthKmTech
10-11-2020, 12:54 AM
Yes, it does.

Another funny thing I have seen a lot is many customers that have small Brother faxes or small Canon faxes can fax ok on a voip line but hook up a Konica mfp and it will sometimes have fax issues.

Then you are stuck trying to explain to the customer why your Konica fax doesn't work on that line when their previous small machine did ok.

Static sounds on the line are a dead give away that you don't have a clean connection. Get a phone tech on that starting with the wiring in the jack.

On the subject of voip - this is an issue that's only going to become more commonplace as POTS lines are disapearing and some industries refuse to move on from fax machines.

I purchased a couple cisco SPA122 ata's that were provider locked, dirt cheap off ebay and have successfully cracked via it's console with my usb ttl serial interface with pins soldered directly to the ata's board.

I have played with a couple voip providers, the one that does not support T.38, you basically have to cripple the fax machine to run at 9600 baud for TX and RX along with some other settings in the ATA as its basically just faxing over the 711A/u voice protocol, its pretty reliable and i've not had any drop outs in 10+ page faxes, It's just slow as hell. The provider that does support T.38, the results are fantastic, with all the SPA122 specific settings entered into the ATA no special settings were required on my machine (FK-511) send and receive is perfect without crippling the machine down to 9600 baud. The general crappiness of the voip provider and quality of the internet connection plays a huge role in how reliable voip faxing will work. Both of the providers I experimented with do not even have sip servers within my state and worked fine interstate. I do have a customer with a voip line as part of their internet service which I have never been able to get working correctly for TX but works perfectly for RX, despite days of playing with their cisco ATA. Next time I will just go with my own preconfigured SPA122 and try it on their internet connection - if it works at least I can offer them a solution.

qbert69
10-13-2020, 06:12 PM
SO NICE TO KNOW!!![emoji57]

Fax Machines Are Still Everywhere, and Wildly Insecure | WIRED (https://www.wired.com/story/fax-machine-vulnerabilities/)

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

qbert69
10-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Keeping the antiquated fax technology alive is like trying to beat an old dead horse to get up and go!!! I always tell the customer that fax was designed to be used with a well maintained copper POTS line. Any time you try to bastardize that baseline requirement is when things can start to go south!!![emoji57]

bsm2
10-13-2020, 06:42 PM

Change setting to PBX than try

tsbservice
10-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Fax Machines Are Still Everywhere, and Wildly Insecure | WIRED (https://www.wired.com/story/fax-machine-vulnerabilities/)

New HP MFPs...cr.p all the way...all day long.

blazebusiness
10-13-2020, 08:33 PM
New HP MFPs...cr.p all the way...all day long. Sad but true. They were a bulletproof machine with superior reliability for many years. Those days are long gone.

progoffice
10-13-2020, 10:26 PM
It's rare, but these fax cards can go bad. I replaced one just last week, and as soon as I did I had my dial tone back on the machine. Usually when customers call with fax issues, it' almost always a line issue or something related to VOIP. This was a standard phone line, and I had a dial tone with my dummy phone, so I knew it wasn't the line this time. Switched out the FK-511 and all was good.

BillyCarpenter
10-13-2020, 11:28 PM
I have a VOIP telephone system at our office thru NEXTIVA and we use their fax bridge that's hooked up to a Kyocera and it's works really well.

Custom Search