PDA

View Full Version : BH-C-220/280/360, change belt in TB Unit

Custom Search

Hansoon
10-10-2020, 06:07 PM
Well, perhaps its me but I think this is not for the scary ones.... lol

Being sick of high parts costs for our contract machines I decided to try after market belts for the TB-Unit of the old BH-C-220/280/360 series. Got after market belts and cleaning blades. Took me for the first one almost an hour before I found the easiest procedure. The second one half an hour, next one will be less for sure. Most important - but naturally you have this already ;), is preparing an extremely clean workplace without any objects laying around and using surgical gloves. Than I took an old soft woolen blanket, folded many times, to cover the workplace and putting the old TB-Unit on it. After cutting the old belt, removing the cleaning unit and searching for both pressure springs from the corners of the room where they mysteriously went :) I removed the aluminum roller at the cleaning unit side and also the wide metal bracket at the opposite side, Than I cleaned not only the cleaning blade unit but also all rollers in contact with the inside of the belt and everything else around. Important when refitting the new belt is naturally of course avoiding dents and other markings on the belt itself. Since the black plastic bushings in the aluminum roller are constantly falling out when refitting I fixed them in place with a tiny drop of super glue. Installed the new belt and a new cleaning blade, refitted the cleaning unit and priming the belt with lots of yellow toner to avoid a blade flip, finished. All not a joy but can be done......

The rebuild TB-Unit works very well for the moment and we'll see how many prints it can do.

Hans

copier tech
10-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Well, perhaps its me but I think this is not for the scary ones.... lol

Being sick of high parts costs for our contract machines I decided to try after market belts for the TB-Unit of the old BH-C-220/280/360 series. Got after market belts and cleaning blades. Took me for the first one almost an hour before I found the easiest procedure. The second one half an hour, next one will be less for sure. Most important - but naturally you have this already ;), is preparing an extremely clean workplace without any objects laying around and using surgical gloves. Than I took an old soft woolen blanket, folded many times, to cover the workplace and putting the old TB-Unit on it. After cutting the old belt, removing the cleaning unit and searching for both pressure springs from the corners of the room where they mysteriously went :) I removed the aluminum roller at the cleaning unit side and also the wide metal bracket at the opposite side, Than I cleaned not only the cleaning blade unit but also all rollers in contact with the inside of the belt and everything else around. Important when refitting the new belt is naturally of course avoiding dents and other markings on the belt itself. Since the black plastic bushings in the aluminum roller are constantly falling out when refitting I fixed them in place with a tiny drop of super glue. Installed the new belt and a new cleaning blade, refitted the cleaning unit and priming the belt with lots of yellow toner to avoid a blade flip, finished. All not a joy but can be done......

The rebuild TB-Unit works very well for the moment and we'll see how many prints it can do.

Hans

When the genuine transfer unit lasts say 300k plus it is simply not worth the hassle of replacing the belt & blade.

femaster
10-10-2020, 09:43 PM
I'm thinking maybe if you are having a hard time with parts costs, maybe it's time to look into increasing the price of your contracts instead of torturing yourself doing things like that. Just a thought.

tsbservice
10-10-2020, 09:48 PM
Indy live isn't like easygoing. With price for labor like 20$ per hour or less in some countries.

copier tech
10-10-2020, 09:53 PM
Indy live isn't like easygoing. With price for labor like 20$ per hour or less in some countries.

Maybe, but you charge your clients for the parts if they don't want to fork out for a drum you still get paid.

copyman
10-10-2020, 09:59 PM
Been rebuilding the transfer belt units with aftermarket belts for over 5+ years now. C253, C220, C224 to C308 . Work great! Customer saves a lot of money and I make a lot of money. Makes for a happy marriage :D

copier tech
10-10-2020, 10:05 PM
Been rebuilding the transfer belt units with aftermarket belts for over 5+ years now. C253, C220, C224 to C308 . Work great! Customer saves a lot of money and I make a lot of money. Makes for a happy marriage :D

I guess we work in different worlds in London money is no object reliability is key.

However we've not had to work on a C220 series for years!

In our opinion genuine parts & toner is the key to a reliable machine AND happy customer.

blackcat4866
10-10-2020, 10:21 PM
I can't say that I've replaced that many transfer belt units, ever. Sure, we've had a few C360 series make "mustaches" after a small pierce of the center separation claw, I might hve changed 6 or 8 transfer belt units ever, on all models. But congratulations on your procedure though.

What we could really use is a procedure and replacement belts for the Kyocera AlphardI and AlphardII second transfer belt units. On those I've changed dozens, for crawling to the back, and converting 25mm to 55mm of the second transfer belt to black rubber shavings.

Or on the new Toshiba e Studio 4505AC series, that I've had three torn belts this year, and a rash of the theramin-like sounds they produce rubbing up against the facing rollers.
=^..^=

Custom Search