PDA

View Full Version : Best compatible toners

Custom Search

barber782
10-21-2020, 07:32 PM
Hi everyone,

has anyone got a preferred compatible toner they use for Konica machines, mainly c258, 458, 250i etc?

tsbservice
10-21-2020, 07:40 PM
Why? This is like shooting in your leg long therm wisely.

copier tech
10-21-2020, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone,

has anyone got a preferred compatible toner they use for Konica machines, mainly c258, 458, 250i etc?

Never yet found a good compatible toner they all cause some sort of issue.

Simply not worth it shortening the life of your drums, devs & transfer units costs more in the long run.

The main reason is because genuine KM toner has a small % of developer in with the toner keeping the devs topped up.

CWP
10-21-2020, 09:16 PM
We have found the the best compatible toner is OEM and we have found it to be 100% compatible for the machine it was intended.

Bix
10-22-2020, 08:25 AM
I had a stingy customer who bought a very old printer. I believe it was a C280. This printer was sold out, almost given away, but it always worked. For only $ 100. After the customer ran out of toners, he inserted compatible toners. Now he has incalculable damage and he preferred to throw the printer away. We also used compatible toners...it's a nice saving... but after several months the savings became a kick on the teeth

Toxic
10-22-2020, 12:04 PM
For BW machine type you can try some compatible toners,i see all the time users put them in all sort of machines and it works much or less ok, some toners make problems quickly and some of them run as OEM.
It is a bit lottery.
But for color machines is other story, have seen everything ruined many times, drums,developing units,TCR errors...

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 03:51 PM
Here are a few companies that I recommend:

- Static Control
- Media Science
- Katun

I had a company from China send me some free samples for a Kyocrea 3551ci. I have test copiers that we use for nothing but testing out compatibles. We compare the results with Original OEMs'. I'm looking at the test pages side-by-side...I literally cannot tell them apart.

I refilled the carts myself and replaced with new chip.

Cost:

Chip: 75-cents
Toner: $21.00

Total cost: $21.75

avecosat
10-22-2020, 05:32 PM
Katun is the best but only for a special occasions .

tsbservice
10-22-2020, 06:18 PM
Here are a few companies that I recommend:

- Static Control
- Media Science
- Katun

I had a company from China send me some free samples for a Kyocrea 3551ci. I have test copiers that we use for nothing but testing out compatibles. We compare the results with Original OEMs'. I'm looking at the test pages side-by-side...I literally cannot tell them apart.

I refilled the carts myself and replaced with new chip.

Cost:

Chip: 75-cents
Toner: $21.00

Total cost: $21.75

I'm sure you know short therm calculations may result in long therm interesting findings.
The tests should be run over and over like for months and gong full PM cycle at minimum.
Here there are plenty of volunteers I know to test how compatible works on KonMin still haven't heard good ones for color machine.

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 06:53 PM
I'm sure you know short therm calculations may result in long therm interesting findings.
The tests should be run over and over like for months and gong full PM cycle at minimum.
Here there are plenty of volunteers I know to test how compatible works on KonMin still haven't heard good ones for color machine.

After I sold my Kyocera dealership years ago, I had to sign a no-compete clause, so I went into the compatible toner cartridge business. We rebuilt and sold thousands and thousands of compatibles over the years. Everything from HP, Dell, Lexmark, ect.

I'd say I know about as much as anyone about compatibles. I agree with you that testing is paramount. I don't take anyone's word for it....good or bad. I do the testing.

On a side note: I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just giving y'all my experience based on the results I have gotten.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen a bottle of color HP toner. It's a powder but if you shake it up in the bottle, it looks like a liquid. HP has gotten the toner participles so small that it looks like water.

EDIT: Some government accounts won't use anything but compatibles due to "saving the environment".

blazebusiness
10-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone,

The Konica toners are not just toner but also have developer as a component. The generics do not. For that reason you should always use the oem. It maintains the developer to toner ratio correctly. Otherwise you run the risk of ddvelopers getting starved and failing early. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Any savings you get from the compatible toner evaporates with more frequent parts needed.

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 06:59 PM
The Konica toners are not just toner but also have developer as a component. The generics do not. For that reason you should always use the oem. It maintains the developer to toner ratio correctly. Otherwise you run the risk of ddvelopers getting starved and failing early. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Any savings you get from the compatible toner evaporates with more frequent parts needed.

I remember back in the day, Sharp came out with a copier that (supposedly) never required changing the developer because every new toner had the developer in it.

blazebusiness
10-22-2020, 07:09 PM
I remember back in the day, Sharp came out with a copier that (supposedly) never required changing the developer because every new toner had the developer in it.
Well the Konica’s do require developer replacement but the intervals are sometimes as much as 600,00o due to the toner having developer in it. Really makes copy quality stay stable for a long time.

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 07:26 PM
Well the Konica’s do require developer replacement but the intervals are sometimes as much as 600,00o due to the toner having developer in it. Really makes copy quality stay stable for a long time.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Kyocera put fine particles of "ceramic" in their toner. It's supposed to help clean the drum or something.

Hence the name: Kyo (Kyoto Japan) cera (ceramics). Kyocera.

tsbservice
10-22-2020, 07:53 PM
I think I remember reading somewhere that Kyocera put fine particles of "ceramic" in their toner. It's supposed to help clean the drum or something.

Hence the name: Kyo (Kyoto Japan) cera (ceramics). Kyocera.

Long before they even heard about photocopiers they were Kyoto Ceramic Company.
Our Brand | About the Kyocera Group | About | KYOCERA (https://global.kyocera.com/company/summary/brand/index.html)
Kyocera - Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyocera)

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 07:59 PM
Long before they even heard about photocopiers they were Kyoto Ceramic Company.
Our Brand | About the Kyocera Group | About | KYOCERA (https://global.kyocera.com/company/summary/brand/index.html)
Kyocera - Wikipedia (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyocera)

Yes, sir. Ceramic is a super-conductor that they use in electronics and they also used to have the world's sharpest knife with a ceramic blade. I used to go to some of Kyocera's trade shows when I was a dealer.

Was it the Kyocera KM-6230 that had a ceramic drum that lasted 2-million copies? Been a long time...I forget.

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 08:08 PM
Yes, sir. Ceramic is a super-conductor that they use in electronics and they also used to have the world's sharpest knife with a ceramic blade. I used to go to some of Kyocera's trade shows when I was a dealer.

Was it the Kyocera KM-6230 that had a ceramic drum that lasted 2-million copies? Been a long time...I forget.

It is the Kyocera KM-6230. But it didn't last 2-million. It last 3.6 million pages:

Drum Yield, Black: https://www.precisionroller.com/images/co-qmark-13-side.gif Estimated 3,600,000 Pages

Kyocera KM-6230 KM-6230 Supplies and KM-6230 Parts (https://www.precisionroller.com/kyocera-km-6230/products.html)

tsbservice
10-22-2020, 08:25 PM
It is the Kyocera KM-6230. But it didn't last 2-million. It last 3.6 million pages:

Drum Yield, Black: https://www.precisionroller.com/images/co-qmark-13-side.gif Estimated 3,600,000 Pages

Kyocera KM-6230 KM-6230 Supplies and KM-6230 Parts (https://www.precisionroller.com/kyocera-km-6230/products.html)

Wow, that's impressive !
3,600,000 Pages sounds like it was big fat fella :D with super heavy duty coating.
We went somehow off topic anyway but I'm interested in your expertise and we maybe can discuss it privately later.

BillyCarpenter
10-22-2020, 08:30 PM
Wow, that's impressive !
3,600,000 Pages sounds like it was big fat fella :D with super heavy duty coating.
We went somehow off topic anyway but I'm interested in your expertise and we maybe can discuss it privately later.

The drum was made out of ceramic. Ceramic is SUPER hard. I sold a bunch of KM-6230's back in the day. Don't ever remember having to replace a drum. I do remember the drums being expensive as hell if I needed to order one.

As far as my expertise? I'm more up-to-date on compatible toner than I am MFPs. I was away from copiers for a long time. But if I can share anything...I'm glad to do it.

tsbservice
10-22-2020, 08:52 PM
As far as my expertise? I'm more up-to-date on compatible toner than I am MFPs. I was away from copiers for a long time. But if I can share anything...I'm glad to do it.
I'm wide open for anyone with real experience in any area, compatibles also.
Yep, BillyCarpenter is name near the top of my list.

Custom Search