PDA

View Full Version : C364e Complete optical unit replacement

Custom Search

EarthKmTech
10-26-2020, 09:07 AM
Ordinarily I would send such a machine straight for recycling, but today I thought, what the hell. I want to learn how hard it is to replace the complete flat bed scanner.

Answer is - not very.

Optical unit has only 3 electrical connections. It sits in a channel on the right side of the machine above the fuser with screws only along the side. There are 2 more screws at the rear left pointing downwards and a whole bunch of screws at the back left in the reinforced right angle shaped bracket.

Obviously if that reinforced angle bracket at the rear has been bent by extreme trauma the machine is probably trashed in other ways, but todays issue was correctable with the complete replacement of the optical unit from a donor and the machines life was saved.

Obviously you cannot buy this as a spare part (ive no idea why) so this repair requires a donor to obtain one from.

I'm sure others have done this, but today was my first time.

15 minutes removal and 15 minutes replacement with electric screwdriver and ample caffine consumption.

Cant imagine newer engines would be any harder.

Obviously you should check all scanner adjustments to ensure correct, but I got lucky, it was bang on and I had to do no messing around.

Bix
10-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Compliments! You have been really good. What was the problem? Bent chassis?

tulintron
10-26-2020, 12:27 PM
Very good your post. I changed it once, but with little coffee consumption.

A C224e that was covered by 80% water. We had a C364e that had fallen over in shipping and damaged the scanner table. So we did the replacement.

Just like you said. Simpler than expected.

Gab
10-26-2020, 01:59 PM
I have replaces some not at konica but at other brands and it varied from simple to have some work to do but not too difficult

byronf
10-26-2020, 05:36 PM
Ordinarily I would send such a machine straight for recycling, but today I thought, what the hell. I want to learn how hard it is to replace the complete flat bed scanner.

Answer is - not very.

Optical unit has only 3 electrical connections. It sits in a channel on the right side of the machine above the fuser with screws only along the side. There are 2 more screws at the rear left pointing downwards and a whole bunch of screws at the back left in the reinforced right angle shaped bracket.

Obviously if that reinforced angle bracket at the rear has been bent by extreme trauma the machine is probably trashed in other ways, but todays issue was correctable with the complete replacement of the optical unit from a donor and the machines life was saved.

Obviously you cannot buy this as a spare part (ive no idea why) so this repair requires a donor to obtain one from.

I'm sure others have done this, but today was my first time.

15 minutes removal and 15 minutes replacement with electric screwdriver and ample caffine consumption.

Cant imagine newer engines would be any harder.

Obviously you should check all scanner adjustments to ensure correct, but I got lucky, it was bang on and I had to do no messing around.

Ive changed few of these. You can also use the 4 series on the 8 series.

EarthKmTech
10-27-2020, 12:04 AM
Ive changed few of these. You can also use the 4 series on the 8 series.

Very interesting!

I was under the assumption the 8 series scanner was a cost reduced version with thinner steel or something as they always seem to get bent more than the 4 and 4e.

Good to know.

blackcat4866
10-27-2020, 01:03 AM
I spent 4 days on a Kyocera scanner. I really had no idea if it was going to work until the very end.

I told the boss it was a bad idea, but he insisted. The victim had come unstrapped in the truck, flopped on it's side, and coasted to a stop against the rear door.

My scanner repair involved the #3 sledge hammer and various sized sacrificial blocks of hardwood, after all the mechanics was removed. I was entirely shocked to get it all together and a good focus all the way out to 17". I could not use all the scanner mounting screws ... some of the holes just would not line up.

Was it a success, sure. Was it a good idea? Still no. =^..^=

EarthKmTech
10-30-2020, 11:13 AM
I spent 4 days on a Kyocera scanner. I really had no idea if it was going to work until the very end.

I told the boss it was a bad idea, but he insisted. The victim had come unstrapped in the truck, flopped on it's side, and coasted to a stop against the rear door.

My scanner repair involved the #3 sledge hammer and various sized sacrificial blocks of hardwood, after all the mechanics was removed. I was entirely shocked to get it all together and a good focus all the way out to 17". I could not use all the scanner mounting screws ... some of the holes just would not line up.

Was it a success, sure. Was it a good idea? Still no. =^..^=

Holy Sh^T!

you take the cake :cool:

Custom Search