PDA

View Full Version : Fiery IC-420 duplex printing

Custom Search

mascan42
10-27-2020, 05:56 PM
I have a C300i with a Fiery controller that's giving me issues when printing duplex. When the customer selects printer properties and selects duplex from the driver dialog box, it works fine. When they do it from the app's print dialog box, it prints single-sided. This happens on multiple apps, including Word and Adobe Reader.

This seems to have started just after I reloaded the Fiery system software last Friday. So I assume i must have missed some setting somewhere, but I can't find anything that sounds like it would be applicable. Any ideas?

Synthohol
10-27-2020, 07:11 PM
When a fiery is attached the fiery properties are to be used.
Never use the application to setup printing. Then why have a fiery at all.
Always click printer preferences when setting up a fiery job.
For what it's worth if you say duplex in the application and duplex in the fiery preferences they cancel each other out.

O setup multiple print queues baedd on the expected output so by selecting that queue I know it does what I programmed it for.
The fiery preference screen I'd the only one that you need to use not the application print dialog boxea.

mascan42
10-27-2020, 07:31 PM
When a fiery is attached the fiery properties are to be used.
Never use the application to setup printing. Then why have a fiery at all.
Always click printer preferences when setting up a fiery job.
For what it's worth if you say duplex in the application and duplex in the fiery preferences they cancel each other out.

O setup multiple print queues baedd on the expected output so by selecting that queue I know it does what I programmed it for.
The fiery preference screen I'd the only one that you need to use not the application print dialog boxea.

OK, but the customer is used to doing it that way, and it's always worked until 2 days ago. So what happened?

drowranger
10-27-2020, 09:52 PM
I had the same issue with IC-418 and the first thing KM did ask to do was downgrade the driver version. Please check if the efi print driver being updated recently.
Workarounds are to use the KM driver or use multiple ques with different defaults like Synthohol said .
You can play with postscript settings on the print driver which might work.
Managed to fix our issue by changing printer format to Post script level 3 from windows GDi on the application client use.
EFi have error logs from command workstation and i am awaiting for a new driver to use on acrobat and word . You might have to uninstall the latest patch you did.

Good luck..

Synthohol
10-27-2020, 10:10 PM
log into the fiery, go to server settings and its prolly set to duplex by default

mascan42
10-28-2020, 01:21 AM
log into the fiery, go to server settings and its prolly set to duplex by default

Except it does the opposite. It prints single-sided even if the customer selects duplex. Agian, this is only when making the selection in the application, not the Fiery dialog box.

Also, there is no such setting on the Fiery.

Synthohol
10-28-2020, 02:00 AM
hot folders then?
i have not test drove a 420 yet, so i have not seen the driver.
is the driver showing 2 sided by default by chance?
id really have to see it first hand, i absolutely love attacking fiery issues.
im a fiery nut.

mascan42
10-28-2020, 02:10 AM
hot folders then?
i have not test drove a 420 yet, so i have not seen the driver.
is the driver showing 2 sided by default by chance?
id really have to see it first hand, i absolutely love attacking fiery issues.
im a fiery nut.
It's defaulting to 1-sided.And if you change it in the Fiery print dialog, it changes to 2-sided. But if you select "print on both sides" in Adobe or Word, it still prints 1-sided. It's like the app settings aren't being sent into the driver. OTOH, if I select 2-sided in the driver, the selection in the app changes as well.

Synthohol
10-28-2020, 04:21 AM
thats exactly how its supposed to work according to EFI.
also is it setup correctly? LPR [port 515] and Print as the queue name?
is the fiery IP in the 2 way communication box in the driver settings?

mascan42
10-28-2020, 01:20 PM
thats exactly how its supposed to work according to EFI.
also is it setup correctly? LPR [port 515] and Print as the queue name?
is the fiery IP in the 2 way communication box in the driver settings?

Yes, it's on LPR and 2-way. Unfortunately the customer was always using the app settings up until I rewrote the system software and they want to know why it doesn't work anymore.

Synthohol
10-28-2020, 01:49 PM
there HAS to be a default setting that needs to be modified.

Gaffers01
10-28-2020, 02:00 PM
First thing every engineer should know is never trust what a customer says,
customers often don't know their arse from there elbow when it comes to printing.

Have you spoke to anyone else in the office that has the same issue, do you have any other fierys in the field to test this on?

Did you have a backup?

mascan42
10-28-2020, 02:21 PM
First thing every engineer should know is never trust what a customer says,
customers often don't know their arse from there elbow when it comes to printing.

Have you spoke to anyone else in the office that has the same issue, do you have any other fierys in the field to test this on?

Did you have a backup?
It's doping the same thing on my laptop. We don't have any other IC-420's available. And unfortunately, I deleted the backup after it appeared to be working.

Gaffers01
10-28-2020, 02:45 PM
so every thing else works fine, its just the duplex problem?

Synthohol
10-28-2020, 04:11 PM
Open command workstation and look at the default server properties. Somewhere like where is asks default paper size on that page is the default 1/2 sided choice.

mascan42
11-13-2020, 03:13 AM
We were able to resolve it by downgrading the driver to an earlier version. But now it appears to have come back. Does anyone know if the Fiery driver still has automatic updates?

Synthohol
11-13-2020, 03:36 AM
hey, where did you get the driver from? the fiery itself or the internet?
99% of the time i use the one built into the fiery so i know its compatible.
maybe you installed a newer or older version of sys software than their driver?

drowranger
11-13-2020, 09:12 AM
Hi, still has automatic updates and annoying updater popup. need to untick notification ar driver properties> About>Check for updates>preferences(bottom lhs )
You need to use the the fiery driver uninstaller to remove the new driver before downgrading as well.

mascan42
11-23-2020, 05:17 AM
Finally got EFI support on the line & they said it's a known problem with the way the driver interacts with Windows. EFI apparently has no plans to fix the driver, because they blame Microsoft, and vice versa. Only workaround was to create 2 copies of the driver, one for 1-sided & another for 2-sided.

Custom Search