PDA

View Full Version : Be careful with USB import/export

Custom Search

Bix
12-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Hi, I want to warn you with the import/export of data with the USB stick. Many will already know but this practice, if possible, is not recommended.
In the best case, the data is not imported. In the worst case, there could be serious problems.

Here are some bad experiences:
- I have imported data from a bizhub C3351 (firmware version 3.4) to a bizhub 227 (version 4.2). When the versions are so different, it is highly discouraged to proceed with the import / export. I did the same and apparently everything went ok. This actually caused the display to glitch. Some areas of the operation panel stopped having responsive touch. To solve this, I cleared all data and the display started working again.
- I have imported data from a bizhub 308 (updated from 3.4 to version 4.2 before export) to a bizhub 308e (version 4.2). In this case the versions are identical, only the model changes. Also in this case I had problems as in the first case: the display is not very reactive and general slowdowns. With a clear all data the problem was solved.

All this does not always happen. In the first case the client had 4 new 227s. This only happened on a bizhub 227. I have only had two cases in total and I do this procedure almost always.

Import/export can be a great help but in this case it made me waste a lot of time and above all I had the frustration of reconfiguring everything from scratch (Scans, screen customizations, CSRC etc ...)

So do it only if absolutely necessary or use Page Scope Administrator.

copier tech
12-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Hi, I want to warn you with the import/export of data with the USB stick. Many will already know but this practice, if possible, is not recommended.
In the best case, the data is not imported. In the worst case, there could be serious problems.

Here are some bad experiences:
- I have imported data from a bizhub C3351 (firmware version 3.4) to a bizhub 227 (version 4.2). When the versions are so different, it is highly discouraged to proceed with the import / export. I did the same and apparently everything went ok. This actually caused the display to glitch. Some areas of the operation panel stopped having responsive touch. To solve this, I cleared all data and the display started working again.
- I have imported data from a bizhub 308 (updated from 3.4 to version 4.2 before export) to a bizhub 308e (version 4.2). In this case the versions are identical, only the model changes. Also in this case I had problems as in the first case: the display is not very reactive and general slowdowns. With a clear all data the problem was solved.

All this does not always happen. In the first case the client had 4 new 227s. This only happened on a bizhub 227. I have only had two cases in total and I do this procedure almost always.

Import/export can be a great help but in this case it made me waste a lot of time and above all I had the frustration of reconfiguring everything from scratch (Scans, screen customizations, CSRC etc ...)

Another reason to keep the firmware AND function version updated, this prevents future issues like the one you've identified.

tsbservice
12-10-2020, 05:12 PM
Another reason to keep the firmware AND function version updated, this prevents future issues like the one you've identified.

Completely agree.

Bix
12-10-2020, 07:07 PM
In the second case, the problem occurred with the same and updated firmware

copier tech
12-10-2020, 07:35 PM
In the second case, the problem occurred with the same and updated firmware

And both on the same function version.

tsbservice
12-10-2020, 08:05 PM

And both on the same function version.

Yes Bix already stated this. Personally I didn't use this functionality but advice is taken.

KMFLT3CH
12-10-2020, 10:51 PM
Personally I have yet to come across any major problems when using external memory export/import, never had a board get taken out or anything of the sort. Even today I was able to copy over address book and network settings from a C454e to a C550i, the 4e didn't have the latest base version firmware while the i-series was on B6. The 4e had a gmail account loaded on it and the i-series was able to scan to email after import without any additional modifications by myself (apart from inputting the From address, which doesn't copy over).

What I've noticed is that if you select all the options under export and then try to import into the replacement machine, often times it will say OK but nothing gets copied over, or it will say NG, or it will just reboot on you in the middle of the import. I have this one tech on my team that does this every time and it always gives him issues, especially when Admin Settings are backed up and then attempted to import into the new MFP.

I only select two options when using USB backup: network settings and address book. Never have any issues. I think I've used Pagescope Data Admin maybe 5 times in the past few years, and that was usually when replacing a 363 series or another model that doesn't have USB backup available. 4/4e to 8/8e/9/i-series works fine, even monochrome to color machines don't give any issues.

rrrohan
12-11-2020, 12:56 AM
if i use usb backups i only export the address book and authentication data (if in use)

its so random what setting it takes and what it leaves that i always end up spending just as long double checking the network settings copied across that its just as quick to do it manually

EarthKmTech
12-11-2020, 06:44 AM
I've had success many times doing the full usb export then import.

As with anything km sometimes it goes wrong, and within that sometimes includes it going VERY wrong.

Yesterday I completely and utterly bricked a c250i doing this, from another C250i running the same firmware.

The machine is now completely inoperable with disco flashing menu flickering between main menu, white squares and marketplace screensaver about 2 times per second. Service mode is now inaccessible witout using the trouble reset back door and admin mode is obviously a no go area. Clear all data fails in backdoor service mode too.

I am going to do the secret partition initialize when i have time or failing that initialise the cpu board and storage board together. (using official channels)

We were for the record only importing admin and network settings, both running gc2-b6 firmware.

Bix
12-11-2020, 08:01 AM
I've had success many times doing the full usb export then import.

As with anything km sometimes it goes wrong, and within that sometimes includes it going VERY wrong.

Yesterday I completely and utterly bricked a c250i doing this, from another C250i running the same firmware.

The machine is now completely inoperable with disco flashing menu flickering between main menu, white squares and marketplace screensaver about 2 times per second. Service mode is now inaccessible witout using the trouble reset back door and admin mode is obviously a no go area. Clear all data fails in backdoor service mode too.

I am going to do the secret partition initialize when i have time or failing that initialise the cpu board and storage board together. (using official channels)

We were for the record only importing admin and network settings, both running gc2-b6 firmware.

Hi, this is truly tragic! If you need it, it's just out the diagnosis and recovery tool for bootup issue for iSeries. This is available on infohhub but if you need I can send it privately.

Personally I have yet to come across any major problems when using external memory export/import, never had a board get taken out or anything of the sort. Even today I was able to copy over address book and network settings from a C454e to a C550i, the 4e didn't have the latest base version firmware while the i-series was on B6. The 4e had a gmail account loaded on it and the i-series was able to scan to email after import without any additional modifications by myself (apart from inputting the From address, which doesn't copy over).

What I've noticed is that if you select all the options under export and then try to import into the replacement machine, often times it will say OK but nothing gets copied over, or it will say NG, or it will just reboot on you in the middle of the import. I have this one tech on my team that does this every time and it always gives him issues, especially when Admin Settings are backed up and then attempted to import into the new MFP.

I only select two options when using USB backup: network settings and address book. Never have any issues. I think I've used Pagescope Data Admin maybe 5 times in the past few years, and that was usually when replacing a 363 series or another model that doesn't have USB backup available. 4/4e to 8/8e/9/i-series works fine, even monochrome to color machines don't give any issues.

I have always imported and exported only the address book settings.

rrrohan
12-11-2020, 08:36 AM
yeah if u do just the address book im sure thats safe.

is it just KM that has these issues, my old house mate worked for Ricoh and he never had issues like this

EarthKmTech
12-11-2020, 10:31 AM
Hi, this is truly tragic! If you need it, it's just out the diagnosis and recovery tool for bootup issue for iSeries. This is available on infohhub but if you need I can send it privately.

I have always imported and exported only the address book settings.

I downloaded the tools today coincidentally but have not looked at them yet.:cool:

I might look at them at work tomorrow if have time

Custom Search