PDA

View Full Version : BH558 Weirdness

Custom Search

mitchl
12-15-2020, 08:35 PM
We picked up a low metered BH558 (not the E variant) and right off the bat it wont take FW or movie data. Tried everything under the sun but still no joy. One thing that strikes me as odd is you need the Admin. password to get at utility mode, not Admin mode but the base utility selection. Haven't seen that ever before and figure it may be new twists to Bizhub secure or some shit. It also has a FW version I'm not familiar with GC3-X4 plus I noticed in security that "confidential document access method" is not changeable and permanently on mode 1. Ive talked to numerous people and their all scratching their heads so any ideas would be great. We've seen a lot of used BH gear that has come from highly secure locations and have always been able to reverse engineer the security to bring the box back to normal but this beast has us stumped. I'm thinking softswitch like the set up for the PKI nightmare card systems?

qbert69
12-15-2020, 08:52 PM
We picked up a low metered BH558 (not the E variant) and right off the bat it wont take FW or movie data. Tried everything under the sun but still no joy. One thing that strikes me as odd is you need the Admin. password to get at utility mode, not Admin mode but the base utility selection. Haven't seen that ever before and figure it may be new twists to Bizhub secure or some shit. It also has a FW version I'm not familiar with GC3-X4 plus I noticed in security that "confidential document access method" is not changeable and permanently on mode 1. Ive talked to numerous people and their all scratching their heads so any ideas would be great. We've seen a lot of used BH gear that has come from highly secure locations and have always been able to reverse engineer the security to bring the box back to normal but this beast has us stumped. I'm thinking softswitch like the set up for the PKI nightmare card systems?Do an error code reset during startup but instead of doing an error clear, enter the service code to access service and then go to clear all the settings & reset the admin password. Should work![emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

copier tech
12-15-2020, 09:17 PM
We picked up a low metered BH558 (not the E variant) and right off the bat it wont take FW or movie data. Tried everything under the sun but still no joy. One thing that strikes me as odd is you need the Admin. password to get at utility mode, not Admin mode but the base utility selection. Haven't seen that ever before and figure it may be new twists to Bizhub secure or some shit. It also has a FW version I'm not familiar with GC3-X4 plus I noticed in security that "confidential document access method" is not changeable and permanently on mode 1. Ive talked to numerous people and their all scratching their heads so any ideas would be great. We've seen a lot of used BH gear that has come from highly secure locations and have always been able to reverse engineer the security to bring the box back to normal but this beast has us stumped. I'm thinking softswitch like the set up for the PKI nightmare card systems?

Does the machine work other than these few minor issues?

Check that in admin settings > security settings enhanced security is set off.

Can you print via USB pen? i'm wondering if that port has been disabled with a SW switch.

You can lock the utility mode with a password using SW switch 200 set to HEX 00 to disable this.

Have you tried an ALL CLEAR in CE mode?

tsbservice
12-16-2020, 08:23 AM
Does the machine work other than these few minor issues?

Check that in admin settings > security settings enhanced security is set off.

Can you print via USB pen? i'm wondering if that port has been disabled with a SW switch.

You can lock the utility mode with a password using SW switch 200 set to HEX 00 to disable this.

Have you tried an ALL CLEAR in CE mode?

Totally agree.

Indeed FW update can be disabled by Admin. But when you attempt FW update it will show message on panel after a while about that.

mitchl
12-16-2020, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, to Qbert69 yes this has been done possibly 10 times since we started trying to get this figured had no effect.
Copier Tech yes the machine does basic copy function and you can get to it via a network and hit the webpage. Enhanced was the first setting I went to and it is off for sure. The machine recognizes a USB but havent tried to print from a stick, but for whatever reason it wont boot from the USB for FW update. I will try a print job today to see what happens and you mention that I can get rid of the password requirement for Utility mode VIA SW200 which is great info but my question for you now is where did you get that info? Is there a list of SW and their function? If so I would love to have a copy of it as it might help in the future to backtrack what may have been done to a machine especially security wise. One last thing what is a CE all clear is it the same as the all clear in svc mode/initialization?
TSBSERVICE I have checked and nothing that I can see in Admin. mode is set to stop FW updates or anything else everything is set to allow.

strider5555
12-16-2020, 11:58 PM
Have you checked this setting in Security settings?

USB Connection Permission setting | Descriptions of Functions / Utility Keys (https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C658-C558-C458-C368-C308-C258-UD/EN/contents/opkey_882_S.html)

As well as this one?

FW Update (USB) Perm. Sett. | Descriptions of Functions / Utility Keys (https://manuals.konicaminolta.eu/bizhub-C658-C558-C458-C368-C308-C258-UD/EN/contents/opkey_883_S.html)

You could also try the reset tar file

Did this machine come configured with bizhub secure?

copier tech
12-17-2020, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, to Qbert69 yes this has been done possibly 10 times since we started trying to get this figured had no effect.
Copier Tech yes the machine does basic copy function and you can get to it via a network and hit the webpage. Enhanced was the first setting I went to and it is off for sure. The machine recognizes a USB but havent tried to print from a stick, but for whatever reason it wont boot from the USB for FW update. I will try a print job today to see what happens and you mention that I can get rid of the password requirement for Utility mode VIA SW200 which is great info but my question for you now is where did you get that info? Is there a list of SW and their function? If so I would love to have a copy of it as it might help in the future to backtrack what may have been done to a machine especially security wise. One last thing what is a CE all clear is it the same as the all clear in svc mode/initialization?
TSBSERVICE I have checked and nothing that I can see in Admin. mode is set to stop FW updates or anything else everything is set to allow.

The CE manual has a list of all the SW & what their functions are. Some are not listed I have a list of these given to me by our KM rep.

Yes CE clear is the same ass all clear in service mode (CE)

Another thought what version is your SSD on? if its an early version of V6.01 or v6.02 try updating this first then try the main firmware again.

Bix
12-17-2020, 10:57 AM
Hi, it happened to me in several bizhub C458. Maybe a firmware bug but I haven't reported much.
I solved it by installing the firmware from the lower side door (open the white door). I disconnected the USB "Front port" and I connected the USB directly, solving my problem.

tsbservice
12-17-2020, 01:00 PM
Hi, it happened to me in several bizhub C458. Maybe a firmware bug but I haven't reported much.
I solved it by installing the firmware from the lower side door (open the white door). I disconnected the USB "Front port" and I connected the USB directly, solving my problem.

Interesting finding Bix. Next time I have/hear of problems with FW update on 8 series will try this.

Bix
12-17-2020, 03:36 PM
Interesting finding Bix. Next time I have/hear of problems with FW update on 8 series will try this.

On some occasions this has happened to me with Movie Data. During the upload, it is interrupted and says NG. But by opening the white side cover and inserting the USB into the "Front USB" port, the problem is solved. I have no idea what this depends on.

copier tech
12-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Great tip!

emujo2
12-18-2020, 08:19 PM
So where did this machne come from? Are you stuck with it or can you have your dealer take a look. I have seen wierd issues like this caused by CAC/PIV..Especially if this was a military tradein/ off lease. CAC/PIV really prevents you from making any changes that would/might result in a security leak..If soft switch 12 and 40 (I think) are anything but 0 then this mode is on. Also if it does have to do with enhanced security this is in service mode, not admin. E

mitchl
12-21-2020, 08:10 PM
So where did this machne come from? Are you stuck with it or can you have your dealer take a look. I have seen wierd issues like this caused by CAC/PIV..Especially if this was a military tradein/ off lease. CAC/PIV really prevents you from making any changes that would/might result in a security leak..If soft switch 12 and 40 (I think) are anything but 0 then this mode is on. Also if it does have to do with enhanced security this is in service mode, not admin. E
Sorry for the late response and youre right I think this last batch of low metered 8's came from some type of Gov/Military secure facility. Get this, ran into a new twist on another BW 8 series, the machine will not transmit a fax, yes weve done all the base setup including target, fax option on, HDD on, initialized fed it high end liquor and this machine just refuses to send something. I have tried 4 different fax boards to no avail and finally returned the machines for another and it sends and receives as advertised. The original machine (BH558) that I posted about in this thread was brought back also they thought they would make short work of resolving the issue but thats not the case just more head scratching. Oh and the BH368 with the fax issue will send if you do a completely manual transmit and select send (new option never have seen it before) it will transmi something... Go figure. Have you ever used the softswitch program that KM has? I saw it mention in the 8 series best practices manual way in the back. If youve used it does it work? If it does that would be handy figuring this shit out if indeed soft switches have been changed.

Custom Search