PDA

View Full Version : C-364e, not accepting firmware above J6...

Custom Search

Oystercopy
12-16-2020, 06:22 PM
There's been a long time problem with updating F/W on this series machine... the machine will try to load "K" (for example) and stop and give an N.G. on the main controller F/W.

I'm pretty sure someone has come across this and fixed it. Never had a problem uploading F/W to another other KM product, but I'm worried about this only because without later F/W, these machines start
acting squirrely.

Thanks in advance!
OC

emujo2
12-16-2020, 08:30 PM
What is the reason you are updating firmware??Is there a problem with the machine that you think f/w addresses? Are you trying to go from a very old level to latest (and by latest I mean at least 6 years old). E

Synthohol
12-16-2020, 09:33 PM
back up the machine to USB, run a clear all data. try firmware again then movie data.
if still NG, boot to firmware stick and select machine type, make sure they are not FF for both.
ive seen that happen when the ssd reset tool is used incorrectly, resets machine type to FF and wont update the MFPB.
good luck, i think my 1st suggestion (albeit time consuming) usually works as long as nobody did a naughty.

blackcat4866
12-16-2020, 11:04 PM
I've seen this on a few Toshibas, a few Konica Minoltas. NG on a few of the firmware pieces, but! ... if you select only one firmware piece at a time it will load it successfully. Then the next, then the next. Sure it's inconvenient, but I've had it work several times.

My theory is that the firmware files tend to grow in size with the various updates, which can tax the memory capabilities of the controller. By selecting only one piece at a time, it gets around that. Does that sound plausable?

=^..^=

Oystercopy
12-17-2020, 03:27 AM
Another tech private messaged me and provided me the solution, which was right under my nose the entire time. NO ONE at tech support, or Hytec or anyone knew how to get this working, but this guy did.

The secret to the fix was to uninstall the HDD, then go in and thoroughly format the SSD ALONE, by itself, then reinstall HDD and load the next level of F/W...

Unbelievable!

Thanks to all!
OC

copier tech
12-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Another tech private messaged me and provided me the solution, which was right under my nose the entire time. NO ONE at tech support, or Hytec or anyone knew how to get this working, but this guy did.

The secret to the fix was to uninstall the HDD, then go in and thoroughly format the SSD ALONE, by itself, then reinstall HDD and load the next level of F/W...

Unbelievable!

Thanks to all!
OC

Thanks for sharing! :cool:

When I have had this issue in the past it happens when the SSD is on an early version like 6.01 so to get round this I update to version 6.03 then the machine accepts the main firmware (it also updates the SSD to v 6.05)

tsbservice
12-17-2020, 01:54 PM
OC, Hail for an old smarka days!

Bix
12-17-2020, 02:58 PM
It has often happened to me, the solution is to remove the options (finisher, ADF and Fax). Problem solved!

Oystercopy
12-17-2020, 04:11 PM
Interesting... I've tried removing my accessories to make that work too but it never seemed to work for me.

And yes Smarka goes back a long way, TSB!

tsbservice
12-17-2020, 04:25 PM

And yes Smarka goes back a long way, TSB!

It's not on a topic but is interesting how long such a connections work. Maybe 15-20 years ago I started with smarka and learned a lot, next I was giving help to others.
And yes you helped me an maybe I helped you on few Toshibas.
I tip my hat to guys like you with like 30-40 years and more in this industry, I have learned a lot and now it's my time to pay-off.
So have a GREAT day OC.

SAR
12-17-2020, 07:46 PM
That was a pretty common problem with the e series machines and they did have a bulletin on it.
Here is a copied and pasted version of it:
Note: Export all important data before doing this procedure.

Problem
"MFP=NG" message may be indicated when attempting to install firmware.

Solution
CAUSE: Possible corruption of the SSD board (SSDB) or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) unit.

SOLUTION: Before performing the steps below attempt to load firmware with the HDD physically disconnected from the MFPB. If the "MFP=NG" message returns then connect the HDD and proceed.

Format the HDD/SSD Procedure:

If able to access the Service Mode to format the HDD or SSD, perform the following steps.

WARNING: Carefully follow the steps below, as doing so will avoid any unnecessary replacement components, such as the MFPB/PRCB/HDD (when only the SSD is actually required).

1. Press Menu.
2. Select Counter.
3. Select Display Keypad.
4. Access Service Mode "Stop 00" "Stop 01".
5. Enter 9272 4 times (Factory default).
6. Select System 2.
7. Select HDD and set to "Uninstall".
8. Select State Confirmation.
9. Select Memory/HDD Adj.
10. Press down-arrow 2/2.
11. Select SSD Format.
12. Select Logical Format.
13. Power MFP OFF/ON.
14. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to access Service Mode.
15. Select System 1.
16. Select Initialization.
17. Clear All Data.
18. Select System 2.
19. Select HDD and set to "Install".
20. Power MFP OFF/ON. \
21. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to access Service Mode.
22. Select State Confirmation.
23. Select Memory/HDD Adj.
24. Use the down-arrow to access page 2.
25. Select HDD Format.
26. Select Logical Format.
27. Power MFP OFF/ON.

adecanmin
12-17-2020, 09:50 PM
That was a pretty common problem with the e series machines and they did have a bulletin on it.
Here is a copied and pasted version of it:
Note: Export all important data before doing this procedure.

Problem
"MFP=NG" message may be indicated when attempting to install firmware.

Solution
CAUSE: Possible corruption of the SSD board (SSDB) or Hard Disk Drive (HDD) unit.

SOLUTION: Before performing the steps below attempt to load firmware with the HDD physically disconnected from the MFPB. If the "MFP=NG" message returns then connect the HDD and proceed.

Format the HDD/SSD Procedure:

If able to access the Service Mode to format the HDD or SSD, perform the following steps.

WARNING: Carefully follow the steps below, as doing so will avoid any unnecessary replacement components, such as the MFPB/PRCB/HDD (when only the SSD is actually required).

1. Press Menu.
2. Select Counter.
3. Select Display Keypad.
4. Access Service Mode "Stop 00" "Stop 01".
5. Enter 9272 4 times (Factory default).
6. Select System 2.
7. Select HDD and set to "Uninstall".
8. Select State Confirmation.
9. Select Memory/HDD Adj.
10. Press down-arrow 2/2.
11. Select SSD Format.
12. Select Logical Format.
13. Power MFP OFF/ON.
14. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to access Service Mode.
15. Select System 1.
16. Select Initialization.
17. Clear All Data.
18. Select System 2.
19. Select HDD and set to "Install".
20. Power MFP OFF/ON. \
21. Repeat steps 1 through 5 to access Service Mode.
22. Select State Confirmation.
23. Select Memory/HDD Adj.
24. Use the down-arrow to access page 2.
25. Select HDD Format.
26. Select Logical Format.
27. Power MFP OFF/ON.

Should this procedure be done proactively? or only when there is a problem. Also does this apply to all e machines or just the c364e?
I've had this happen on a c364e but never on c454e.

SAR
12-21-2020, 09:51 PM
Should this procedure be done proactively? or only when there is a problem. Also does this apply to all e machines or just the c364e?
This procedure fixes a lot of weird issues that the C224e up to the C554e series had that were usually related to the SSD and HDD and memory.
We do this on all of these machines, if we have them in the shop. If it is a machine in the field, I leave it alone unless it is having issues. However, it can't hurt a thing if you want to do it proactively. Just be sure to export any data you don't want to lose when you format the machine.

copier tech
12-22-2020, 09:06 AM

If you want to be proactive update the SSD firmware to V6.03 & you won't need to perform this procedure.

emujo2
12-22-2020, 03:29 PM
V 6.05 is available now..Included with f/w version G9 this version pops up the SSD version # when you power up with the USB inserted..It will show SSD version 6.0x..If it's 02 it won't update, if it .03 it will auto update to 05. This stuff is almost 7 years old so I'm sure it's really not aplicable in the US market anymore. E

M94
12-22-2020, 07:19 PM
I've seen this on a few Toshibas, a few Konica Minoltas. NG on a few of the firmware pieces, but! ... if you select only one firmware piece at a time it will load it successfully. Then the next, then the next. Sure it's inconvenient, but I've had it work several times.

My theory is that the firmware files tend to grow in size with the various updates, which can tax the memory capabilities of the controller. By selecting only one piece at a time, it gets around that. Does that sound plausable?

=^..^=

Well since nobody else chimed in directly, I think that makes a ton of sense. Could easily be that over time the bloat of those entire files overwhelm a machine that was originally dealing with updates that were a fraction of the size. Makes perfect sense, and until proven otherwise it's the theory I will be subscribing to.

copier tech
12-22-2020, 07:27 PM
V 6.05 is available now..Included with f/w version G9 this version pops up the SSD version # when you power up with the USB inserted..It will show SSD version 6.0x..If it's 02 it won't update, if it .03 it will auto update to 05. This stuff is almost 7 years old so I'm sure it's really not aplicable in the US market anymore. E

This is true, but in order to update the latest firmware with SSD V6.05 you must first update the SSD firmware first or you will run into issues if this step was skipped.

tsbservice
12-22-2020, 07:44 PM

=^..^=

Well since nobody else chimed in directly, I think that makes a ton of sense. Could easily be that over time the bloat of those entire files overwhelm a machine that was originally dealing with updates that were a fraction of the size. Makes perfect sense, and until proven otherwise it's the theory I will be subscribing to.

Tend to agree with this theory especially when it comes to older models. Not so much an issues anymore with newest i-series. In that particular models SSDs were problematic and sometimes it makes sense after reformatting them machine start to behave normally.

emujo2
12-22-2020, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=copier tech;1643989]This is true, but in order to update the latest firmware with SSD V6.05 you must first update the SSD firmware first or you will run into issues if this step was skipped.
[/QUOTE
it does say if you are at .02 then you need to update using the USB tool (not sure what they are talking about here), but if you are at .03 it will update to .05..Where does one fond the USB tool to update the SSD board? E

copier tech
12-22-2020, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=copier tech;1643989]This is true, but in order to update the latest firmware with SSD V6.05 you must first update the SSD firmware first or you will run into issues if this step was skipped.
[/QUOTE
it does say if you are at .02 then you need to update using the USB tool (not sure what they are talking about here), but if you are at .03 it will update to .05..Where does one fond the USB tool to update the SSD board? E

Yes just checked its V6.02 & earlier you would first update using the SSD tool.

This has been around for years, it was initially released as a preventative measure for the 'continual rebooting issue'

femaster
12-23-2020, 05:14 AM
Where does one fond the USB tool to update the SSD board?

It's called the SSD Board Tool, and is done just like a regular firmware update. It can be acquired from your Konica Support Portal.
The file (in the US anyway) is: A5C10Y0-F000-G00-A9-04--SSD-FW-Ver6.03m.exe

Custom Search