PDA

View Full Version : c654 simplex ADF scan rainbow

Custom Search

Synaux
12-17-2020, 02:27 AM
I am at a total loss here. The attached is single side scan of an 8.5x5.5 inch page set to 11x17 from ADF (so the purdy colors are basically not scanning any paper--this was first detected due to punched originals). 2nd Side scans/copies are fine. Platten Scans are fine. Many D-1 split line errors.

Tried FW (72)… Cleaned, re-cleaned and re-cleaned all the mirrors. Everything seems to be physically fine.

I/O checks in State Confirmation are good, but I do not have the Self-Diagnostic option is that an E model only option?

BillyCarpenter
12-17-2020, 02:32 AM
I'm a little confused. You're trying to scan a text document and all those colors are showing up?

PS - Single pass ADF or no?

Edit: If that's the case, I had a similar problem on a Kyocera box and it was a bad scan board. It scanned fine from the platen and on one side of a 2 sided copy when using ADF.

Edit 2: The way it was explained to me (by blackcat) is the scanner control board contains a color table with a numeric value for every color in the spectrum and it gets damaged.

Mine looked like this:

Reed
12-17-2020, 03:06 AM
you may have to adjust mirror 3. I have seen this issue a couple times. I think it is the hex screw on the front side.. you should only have to turn it a little bit ( like 3/4 of a turn ccw) to see if makes any change. I had the bulletin but I can't seem to find it . maybe someone else actually has the bulletin and can find it .. good luck

splblazer91
12-17-2020, 06:43 PM
3rd mirror adjustment has always fixed it for me.

blackcat4866
12-18-2020, 01:05 AM
you may have to adjust mirror 3. I have seen this issue a couple times. I think it is the hex screw on the front side.. you should only have to turn it a little bit ( like 3/4 of a turn ccw) to see if makes any change. I had the bulletin but I can't seem to find it . maybe someone else actually has the bulletin and can find it .. good luck

I was guessing a focus issue also. Or maybe the DF white plate is stained or not at the correct height.

As much as I like being quoted, I don't think that's the case being the colors are so irregularly distributed.
=^..^=

Synaux
02-07-2021, 03:36 AM
Thanks for all the input and apologies for the overdue response....

Somehow the adjuster on the right rear hinge got into a terrible jam and caused the ADF to be so crooked it was causing this issue.

I never would have guessed that could cause this. Just gaining experience, I suppose :rolleyes:

Note: this issue was me tricking the machine to copy areas with no paper (white strip in attachment is 5.5" piece of paper, but the scan area was 8.5"x11"). It is likely if you get this issue it will only show on the extreme edges of scans or from pre-punched/"holey" originals. If anyone can explain this I am all ears; otherwise ignorance is bliss.

blackcat4866
02-07-2021, 05:11 PM
Some, I can explain. The statement sized area is correctly focused at the top surface of the glass. And if the matt was touching the glass, that would also be correctly focused.

Why those particular colors? That I don't know. Perhaps there's a reflective light source shining some light in around the edge of the DF matt. I'm going to assume that your DF matt is not that same pattern of colors as the image. You see that ripple just past halfway? Perhaps that's the shadow of the enduser pressing the start button? =^..^=

Synaux
02-09-2021, 04:37 AM
Some, I can explain. The statement sized area is correctly focused at the top surface of the glass. And if the matt was touching the glass, that would also be correctly focused.

Why those particular colors? That I don't know. Perhaps there's a reflective light source shining some light in around the edge of the DF matt. I'm going to assume that your DF matt is not that same pattern of colors as the image. You see that ripple just past halfway? Perhaps that's the shadow of the enduser pressing the start button? =^..^=
So I guess the matt/adf was out of threshold, but it was able to still focus on the paper itself. I guess I kinda sorta makes sense. It would be interesting to do this again with a transparency just to see if it changes the pattern, but I have little interest in de-calibrating the adf just to try it. I might use a mirror just see what happens because I like doing pointless things. :p

That ripple is still there, but is nearly unnoticeable in standard operation. I've noticed that the optics seem weaker in operation as far as results go compared to legacy machines (slight skews and ripples--that only I notice). But don't deal with new machines either.

Custom Search