PDA

View Full Version : C360 "Drum Unit Detection Error" after HDD swap

Custom Search

srvctec
12-18-2020, 08:24 PM
Got a call this morning to go on a C360 at a non-profit (i.e. no money to replace the ancient thing) with a code CD048. Looked it up and SM said HDD error so I grabbed a HDD off one of our junk C452 machines, thinking it should work since those machines came out at the same time. I first tried to format the original HDD in the C360 after going into service mode, performing just a logical format. It said all was OK so I powered down and back up again. Machine booted fine without the CD048 code so I figured that fixed it. Of course it said it needed animation guide (which in my mind was good, thinking the format actually did work OK). Then I pressed the User Box button to make sure I could access the HDD but that caused the CD048 code to happen again. Now realizing the HDD was toast, I went back into service mode, unset the HDD and swapped it out for the HDD I took from the junk machine.

The junk C452 HDD was a 350GB vs. the HDD on the C360 being a 250GB (noticed that once I removed it even though both are supposed to come with 250GB). I know most KM machines can have a larger drive but then only 250GB is usable after format, so I figured why not just swap them and save some money for us- nothing to lose and everything to gain, I thought. Installed the used HDD, turned the machine back on, went into service mode and set the HDD, powered down and back up, followed by a logical format. It said it went OK. Rebooted, BUT then came up with this error (I noticed it wasn't going to reboot correctly because none of the pre-drive occurred prior to the error). I was like WTF!!? A HDD swap causes this?

https://i.imgur.com/EzocX1D.jpg

So, once this happened, I power cycled and opened and closed the front door as well as removed the Y drum to check it. Of course the drum was the correct one since we've serviced it since new using only genuine KM parts and it's been working fine for months or years with that same drum. I decided to just unset the HDD to get rid of the code but it was still there, even after a reboot. I went back into service mode to try and find any setting that may have caused this even though I changed nothing but the HDD and formatted it. I messed around in service mode for a few minutes, finding nothing that might cause this. Then I just opened the front door and closed it and the error went away, with the HDD still unset. I was too chicken to go back in and set the HDD because I didn't want an essentially dead machine. At least they could still print and copy without the HDD. I figured we'd just have to buy a HDD for this old clunker but once I told the guy in charge that they couldn't scan, he said they didn't allow scanning on the machine anyway. So, I just left it at that and he was fine with it.

Anyone have any ideas what the error above has to do with a HDD swap? Makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I'm just curious at this point.

tsbservice
12-18-2020, 09:05 PM
I will try physical format first although it would take forever. Next with Y drum error I will swap it with C drum for test.
Don't believe drum error has something to do with HDD.

copier tech
12-18-2020, 09:30 PM
Got a call this morning to go on a C360 at a non-profit (i.e. no money to replace the ancient thing) with a code CD048. Looked it up and SM said HDD error so I grabbed a HDD off one of our junk C452 machines, thinking it should work since those machines came out at the same time. I first tried to format the original HDD in the C360 after going into service mode, performing just a logical format. It said all was OK so I powered down and back up again. Machine booted fine without the CD048 code so I figured that fixed it. Of course it said it needed animation guide (which in my mind was good, thinking the format actually did work OK). Then I pressed the User Box button to make sure I could access the HDD but that caused the CD048 code to happen again. Now realizing the HDD was toast, I went back into service mode, unset the HDD and swapped it out for the HDD I took from the junk machine.

The junk C452 HDD was a 350GB vs. the HDD on the C360 being a 250GB (noticed that once I removed it even though both are supposed to come with 250GB). I know most KM machines can have a larger drive but then only 250GB is usable after format, so I figured why not just swap them and save some money for us- nothing to lose and everything to gain, I thought. Installed the used HDD, turned the machine back on, went into service mode and set the HDD, powered down and back up, followed by a logical format. It said it went OK. Rebooted, BUT then came up with this error (I noticed it wasn't going to reboot correctly because none of the pre-drive occurred prior to the error). I was like WTF!!? A HDD swap causes this?

https://i.imgur.com/EzocX1D.jpg

So, once this happened, I power cycled and opened and closed the front door as well as removed the Y drum to check it. Of course the drum was the correct one since we've serviced it since new using only genuine KM parts and it's been working fine for months or years with that same drum. I decided to just unset the HDD to get rid of the code but it was still there, even after a reboot. I went back into service mode to try and find any setting that may have caused this even though I changed nothing but the HDD and formatted it. I messed around in service mode for a few minutes, finding nothing that might cause this. Then I just opened the front door and closed it and the error went away, with the HDD still unset. I was too chicken to go back in and set the HDD because I didn't want an essentially dead machine. At least they could still print and copy without the HDD. I figured we'd just have to buy a HDD for this old clunker but once I told the guy in charge that they couldn't scan, he said they didn't allow scanning on the machine anyway. So, I just left it at that and he was fine with it.

Anyone have any ideas what the error above has to do with a HDD swap? Makes absolutely no sense at all to me. I'm just curious at this point.

So are you saying with the HDD unset the machine works fine with no Y drum error?

Most likely the HDD has carried over some info from the C452 you pulled the drive from even though you formatted it.

I always format a used HDD in Windows using a USB caddy.

srvctec
12-18-2020, 09:35 PM
I will try physical format first although it would take forever. Next with Y drum error I will swap it with C drum for test.
Don't believe drum error has something to do with HDD.

Yeah, physical would have been preferred but I don't have time for that. BUT, it's never had the error before my visit today (trust me, they would have called) and once the HDD was unset, the error hasn't come back.

srvctec
12-18-2020, 09:37 PM
So are you saying with the HDD unset the machine works fine with no Y drum error?

Most likely the HDD has carried over some info from the C452 you pulled the drive from even though you formatted it.

I always format a used HDD in Windows using a USB caddy.

Exactly, with the HDD unset, no error (it's never had the error prior to me changing the HDD or since unsetting it).

That's what I'm guessing but I wasn't aware the HDD had such info.

Well, that would have been my first choice, to format with Windows but didn't have that option available.

tsbservice
12-18-2020, 09:53 PM
@srvctec
It's interesting case for sure and I understand you having not enough time, it happens all the time to us.
Just as side observation - the times I have to rush into unknown are also my worst results, ie second visit or even third :o

Custom Search