PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous SMB Fun on Samba 4 server with Bizhub C308

Custom Search

Jools
12-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Hi All,

I've been having an entertaining time trying to get a KM C309 to save to a Samba share on an Ubuntu 20 LTS server running Samba 4.11.6. The share has been set up with a user specific to the copier and the permissions set to give it full control. In order to test the permissions on the share, I have set up an account called Copier on the server, and have logged into on of the office PCs which allows me to create, edit and delete files in that share. If I then go to the copier, it goes through the motions of scanning before returning a server connection error.

To summarise the situation, I have checked the following:

Copier end:

The default domain name is correct

The IP address of the DNS server is the Samba DC

WINS is enabled and the IP of the DC is entered

The setup has been tried with both IP address and hostname with the hostname in lower and upper case

The username and password are both correct for the account (copied and pasted from Notepad into the copier and AD Users interface)

Both NTLMv1 and V2 are enabled as well as SMB1/2

Server end:

The ports listed in Microsoft's SMB networking documentation are all open

The desktop PCs can all access the samba share and have read/write access, they can access AD shared printers

The smb.conf file contains a valid users entry that includes both the Copier user and its group.

Wins is enabled in SMB.conf

There are no mentions in the firewall log of packets being dropped, nor connection errors relating to the copier.

So, my question is, are there any freaky ports that I'm unaware of or a more detailed error log on the copier that I can access to try and determine where it's going pear shaped?

Thanks in advance,

Jools

Synthohol
12-20-2020, 05:23 PM
enable error code display if it isnt already and please post the error code from the job details in the job list.

EarthKmTech
12-21-2020, 07:21 AM
what firmware is on the c308? if it’s a really old one there was a bug in the very early firmware in relation to smb. ie typing in the path didnt work, you had to browse to it at thr panel and save it that way.

also, is there any spaces in the path? try to have folder names without spaces for best results.

Jools
12-21-2020, 04:37 PM
enable error code display if it isnt already and please post the error code from the job details in the job list.

Hiya,

It came back with error code 107

Synthohol
12-21-2020, 06:02 PM
I think that has something to do with having the domain name slash username in authentication.
I'll see what I can find.

Jools
12-21-2020, 06:07 PM
I think that has something to do with having the domain name slash username in authentication.
I'll see what I can find.

Thanks for that. I did after try putting the domain name into the box on the samba setup screen and only the username in the username box but it didn't seem to make any difference. I have wondered if it's a bug in that version of Samba on the server but as yet, Ubuntu haven't issued an update.

Synthohol
12-22-2020, 02:17 PM
Error
Server Connection Error Code: 107 when scanning to SMB.

Root Causes

1. The SMB port is not permitted through the firewall
2. "File and Printer Sharing" is disabled
3. The IP Address for the address book is incorrect

Workaround/Fix
1. Permit SMB port through the firewall- 445 (TCP) or 139 (NetBIOS) can still be used
2. Enable "File and Printer Sharing" in the Windows settings.For details, refer to the attached PDF. To view the PDF, you may need to download a free copy of Adobe Reader®.
3. Verify the IP address of the destination computer which contains the shared folder

Jools
12-23-2020, 11:39 AM
Hiya,

I disabled the firewall and checked the IP and credentials and they all check out. I suspect I may hitting the Samba maillist on this one. The odd thing is that even with logging set to debug level on the server, it doesn't mention the copier in the logs.

Custom Search