PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C220 cyan color registration shift on one side after black drum replace

Custom Search

Theophilos
12-27-2020, 04:30 PM
Please be patient with me. It's my first post here and I'm just a happy owner/user of a second hand bizhub C220.
All the units and consumables were still under their end of life, except the black drum unit.

I replaced the the black drum unit and a shift in the Cyan color appeared on a side of the page. Putting back the old black drum unit did not fix the issue.

I tried looking in the color registration menu, but all changes there are on a page level, not for just one side.

I don't know where the IDC sensor is located or what I could clean/change. Google and forum search didn't get me to any results so far. Could you help me with some ideas? I don't want to waste your time.

Attached: jpg and pdf of a scanned print

Drum Unit Status Start Date End of Life Forecast.
Cyan 60% 29/5/2012 16/9/2026
Magenta 60% 29/5/2012 16/9/2026
Yellow 60% 29/5/2012 16/9/2026
Black 1% 17/11/2020
Developing Unit Status Start Date End of Life Forecast.
Cyan 27% 29/5/2012
Magenta 27% 29/5/2012
Yellow 27% 29/5/2012
Black 22% 29/5/2012
Consumables Status Start Date End of Life Forecast.
Ozone Filter 37% 29/5/2012 8/8/2035
Fusing Unit 24% 29/5/2012
Image Transfer Belt Unit 44% 29/5/2012 29/11/2031
Transfer Roller Unit 37% 29/5/2012 8/8/2035

qbert69
12-27-2020, 04:55 PM
IDC sensor usually at the end of the ITB, just below it and above the registration roller. I've also seen them right above the ITB, right before the fuser...usually a solenoid actuated shutter covering the IDC sensor. Also what is the quality of your ITB?[emoji848] Pull it out and have a look at it for wear and any other issues...could be one of the color transfer rollers and backside of the belt is worn, damaged, contaminated & not making good contact. Just note that the IDC sensor is usually used for sensing toner density for all colors so if it wasn't working you'd probably get a code. If the drums have life left but bad transfer, I'm betting the ITB is the problem!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

qbert69
12-27-2020, 04:59 PM
I've seen the "fade" or non-existent color happen if the dev unit of a particular color is not aligned properly with the drum so that the developer mag roller with toner on it can properly brush toner onto the charged drum.[emoji57]

tsbservice
12-27-2020, 05:46 PM
What is total counter? IDC sensors are under the right side of ITB you should remove ITB. Clean them only with soft cotton cloth.

Theophilos
12-27-2020, 06:00 PM
What is total counter? IDC sensors are under the right side of ITB you should remove ITB. Clean them only with soft cotton cloth.

Total count: 132.723 (32.874 black, 98.039 full color)

I found the 2 screws holding the ITB, but I'm still looking in the service manual how to fully open or remove the side door, to allow the ITB to be removed.

Thank you very much for your input. It "kills" me that it all started with a simple (and careful) drum replace. It was suposed to be a "gift" to this wonderful printer.

tsbservice
12-27-2020, 06:09 PM
Total count: 132.723 (32.874 black, 98.039 full color)

I found the 2 screws holding the ITB, but I'm still looking in the service manual how to fully open or remove the side door, to allow the ITB to be removed.

Thank you very much for your input. It "kills" me that it all started with a simple (and careful) drum replace. It was suposed to be a "gift" to this wonderful printer.

You need to remove 3 pieces of plastic to open more right side door, a total of 3 screws. Be careful when removing ITB to not scratch it. ITB sensors are covered with strip of steel(shutter) you need to push it gently toward back of machine to reach sensors. Take good pictures of ITB and upload somewhere.
This is very low metered machine it maybe worth a KM tech to inspect it, update FW etc.
Good luck.

blackcat4866
12-27-2020, 07:47 PM
Before you get into all that, have you done a stabilization and gradation? =^..^=

tsbservice
12-27-2020, 08:11 PM
I believe stabilization is carried automatically by the machine when he inserted new K drum. In any case gradations should be done manually. There is also color registration adjustment available through admin menu expert adjustments if I remember well.

slimslob
12-27-2020, 08:34 PM
Looking at the pdf you attached I noticed that the cyan line moves gradually off registration across the entire width. Zooming to 400% or more you can see that it actually exists the entire width and see it increase as you scroll. Automatic line position adjustment should be able to pull it back into alignment.

Theophilos
12-28-2020, 06:51 AM
Before you get into all that, have you done a stabilization and gradation? =^..^=

Thank you all for your help!

1. I think image stabilization is done after every power on, but I also did it from the Administration menu. I tried both "Standard" and "Color Priority" stabilization.
2. I did color gradation after your message, it didn't help, but the cyan shift is also visible in the gradation test pages.
3. I also attached the test page from the Color Registration Adjust (Cyan) menu. Changing the Y values I didn't see any improvement, but the gradual shift of the Cyan is also very clear on the test page.
4. I don't know where to find any settings regarding the "Automatic line position adjustment".

avecosat
12-28-2020, 07:44 AM
First clean the AIDC sensor and then in service mode -imaging process adjustment - stabilizer make a initialize +image stabilization and after you must to do test in Gradation Adjustment

kenpio
12-28-2020, 01:42 PM
Have we tried cleaning the laser slit glass with the magic wand that is on the door. The first scan looks like it is faded in the center. But all the rest, IDC sensors, reset and stabilize and gradation. Good luck.
KEN

Gift
12-28-2020, 02:16 PM
In case everything suggested here won't help:

I recall I had a faulty laser unit once (not shure if it was the C220 series or C452 back then). Some mirrors are adjusted via stepper motor and in our particular case the mirror/motor movement got stuck somehow over it's maximum movement because the MFP tried to "over-compensate" something.

Theophilos
12-28-2020, 06:57 PM
In case everything suggested here won't help:

I recall I had a faulty laser unit once (not shure if it was the C220 series or C452 back then). Some mirrors are adjusted via stepper motor and in our particular case the mirror/motor movement got stuck somehow over it's maximum movement because the MFP tried to "over-compensate" something.

I am unable to open/clean printer sensors for the moment. I will do it in the following days and come back with an update.
Until I open it, I discovered in the 'Bizhub C220 Service Manual - Theory of operation' that there is something that controls the skew (that's what I should have put in the title of the thread: SKEW, not gradual SHIFT).

But, in the Service Menu > Machine > Skew Adjustment:
1. my display is different than the one in the manual
2. I did a Skew Reset
2. I changed the Cyan skew values to both min and max values and there was NO change. I wasn't shoure, so I did initialization + stabilization + gradation after changes. Still, absolutely NO difference.

So yes, a stuck mirror motor might be the case. When I will open the printer, I will check both the sensors and the mirror motor (with my limited knowledge).

Again, I want to thank you all for your time and advice.
I attached the pages that explain the skew for this model and my skew adjustment menu. I don't know, but in theory, I think this should be the "software" solution to my problem, but unfortunately it didn't work.

Gift
12-29-2020, 10:18 AM
If you go that path you have to manually turn the skew drives to a center position. Before re-installing the laser unit use a marker pen on the involving gears so - in case it won't work - at least you can see if one of the stepper motor might not have moved at all during the calibration phase.

REGSIS
12-31-2020, 02:16 PM
In service mode check Counter --> Warning if there's any P-14 counts.
If there is you should use Print head reset option.
After few clicking sounds power off/on the machine and do image stabilization only.
Anyway I would highly revcommend you to clean IDC sensors before anything.
To open fully right door remove small black plastic as mentioned before, and white lower connector (operation panel DVI cable) and remove transfer belt.

tsbservice
12-31-2020, 02:26 PM
You need to remove 3 pieces of plastic to open more right side door, a total of 3 screws. Be careful when removing ITB to not scratch it. ITB sensors are covered with strip of steel(shutter) you need to push it gently toward back of machine to reach sensors. Take good pictures of ITB and upload somewhere.
This is very low metered machine it maybe worth a KM tech to inspect it, update FW etc.
Good luck.

In service mode check Counter --> Warning if there's any P-14 counts.
If there is you should use Print head reset option.
After few clicking sounds power off/on the machine and do image stabilization only.
Anyway I would highly revcommend you to clean IDC sensors before anything.
To open fully right door remove small black plastic as mentioned before, and white lower connector (operation panel DVI cable) and remove transfer belt.

My bad, I was thinking about C224e series. Correct procedure is to remove rear right cover, disconnect two connectors and remove right hinge cover.

qbert69
12-31-2020, 03:03 PM
Have we tried cleaning the laser slit glass with the magic wand that is on the door. The first scan looks like it is faded in the center. But all the rest, IDC sensors, reset and stabilize and gradation. Good luck.
KENA definite note that dirty/contaminated laser slit glass can create a "soft", meaning de-registered and lightened image due to the dust/toner "scattering" the write beam on the drum surface!!![emoji41][emoji1303]

Custom Search