PDA

View Full Version : c3350i adf failing to bring pickup rollers back up

Custom Search

EarthKmTech
01-17-2021, 08:22 AM
noticing this is a common theme in dusty environments.

the reverse torsion clutch, the first one on the shaft after the main drive gear gets a groove on the insert that the spring runs on. There is then insufficient torque applied to the pickup roller assembly in the reverse direction to overcome the spring pressure of the home position hook. This results in the rollers permanently hanging down instead of returning upwards after sheets are fed.

What i am doing when I have no parts to fix it, is reducing the spring tension of the home position hook by cutting 3-4 loops off the spring. Lubrication of the hook with silicon grease can also assist but is not as effective as the spring tension reduction.

i have pictures but too hard to post on this forum.

copier tech
01-17-2021, 11:20 AM
noticing this is a common theme in dusty environments.

the reverse torsion clutch, the first one on the shaft after the main drive gear gets a groove on the insert that the spring runs on. There is then insufficient torque applied to the pickup roller assembly in the reverse direction to overcome the spring pressure of the home position hook. This results in the rollers permanently hanging down instead of returning upwards after sheets are fed.

What i am doing when I have no parts to fix it, is reducing the spring tension of the home position hook by cutting 3-4 loops off the spring. Lubrication of the hook with silicon grease can also assist but is not as effective as the spring tension reduction.

i have pictures but too hard to post on this forum.

When this happens I use WD-40 you would think this would make it worse but it does the trick.

30 second fix.

EarthKmTech
01-17-2021, 11:45 PM
When this happens I use WD-40 you would think this would make it worse but it does the trick.

30 second fix.

you blast that reversing torsion clutch with the wd-40?

I guess it might be washing the filth or or doing something else like making the spring grip better. How long does this last? This is a mine site so i would be concerned about even more dust being attracted to anything oily

copier tech
01-17-2021, 11:58 PM
you blast that reversing torsion clutch with the wd-40?

I guess it might be washing the filth or or doing something else like making the spring grip better. How long does this last? This is a mine site so i would be concerned about even more dust being attracted to anything oily

Exactly that, my theory is, as you say WD-40 flushes the rust away & creates new surface for the clutch to grip.

I also have had the same success using IPA/Alcohol spray.

Try this, if it works for you walk away, or advise your client this was a temporary fix & that you'll return with new parts (the clutch etc)

blackcat4866
01-18-2021, 12:02 AM
WD40= water drier formula 40

It doesn't lubricate anything. It does attack most plastics, and what is a a copier made most of? Plastic!

The only thing I use it for is to make over-worn rubber rollers work a little better while waiting for the new rollers to arrive. It does a pretty good job of dissolving fused toner off of the fuser inlet guides.
=^..^=

copier tech
01-18-2021, 12:11 AM

It doesn't lubricate anything. It does attack most plastics, and what is a a copier made most of? Plastic!

The only thing I use it for is to make over-worn rubber rollers work a little better while waiting for the new rollers to arrive. It does a pretty good job of dissolving fused toner off of the fuser inlet guides.
=^..^=

Well no, the WD means 'Water Displacement'

The DF clutch in this post is a metal, so a spring clutch, WD-40 works a treat. (lubricating it)

Homepage - WD-40 Company (https://www.wd40company.com/)

copyman
01-18-2021, 01:21 PM

=^..^=

I've been using WD-40 on plastic for years and never had a problem, i.e. to clean labels off covers, baked on toner. And what I've been doing lately is right before delivering copier I wipe down the covers with it. Makes them look like new! Never had a problem with eating ANY plastic.

WD-40 has over 1,000 uses. Heck I've even heard of people rubbing into their knees, etc to help with arthritis pain!

copier tech
01-18-2021, 02:01 PM
I've been using WD-40 on plastic for years and never had a problem, i.e. to clean labels off covers, baked on toner. And what I've been doing lately is right before delivering copier I wipe down the covers with it. Makes them look like new! Never had a problem with eating ANY plastic.

WD-40 has over 1,000 uses. Heck I've even heard of people rubbing into their knees, etc to help with arthritis pain!

I totally agree, it does not dissolve plastic.

We buy/sell laptops & use WD-40 to clean up the plastic, even on the TFF screen never had an issue.

There used to be a cleaning solvent called amberclean, this was awful stuff extremely strong, it looked very similar to the foam cleaner & if you spayed this on pretty much any plastic it would ruin it. I think they banned it now.

allan
01-18-2021, 09:37 PM
Will not believe it but simply remove those white (or black) fingers that drops to create a back stop for the document.
Or i am thinking of a another model.

copier tech
01-18-2021, 10:15 PM
Will not believe it but simply remove those white (or black) fingers that drops to create a back stop for the document.
Or i am thinking of a another model.

From memory they have done away with those now on this new i series.

BillyCarpenter
01-18-2021, 10:21 PM

=^..^=

Hey, now. WD-40 makes an excellent hand cleaner and back when cars had a distributor cap, it worked well to displace moisture.

M94
01-18-2021, 11:26 PM
WD 40 can absolutely damage some plastics, and really isn't that good as a lubricant since it isn't one. I wouldn't say most plastics and it takes a little time to happen but it absolutely can damage SOME plastics, I don't remember the specific types but there are definitely safe\unsafe plastics to use it on. Has to do with the chemical composition of the specific plastic if I remember right. And while it does kind of feel and act like a lubricant immediately after application it really isn't one and should be treated as a cleaner, to be followed by lube. None of this comes from my experience with copiers so I have no idea if WD-40 is mostly gonna be fine or not and without doing more pointed homework it would be hard to be sure. That said, even if it isn't actively eating the plastic I wouldn't use it for anything more than what it is, a cleaner.

Just trying to backup blackcat a little, it absolutely can damage certain plastics and his caution isn't baseless.

Edit > To be fair there are about a hundred varients now so I'm sure the line up is more versatile overall.

allan
01-19-2021, 12:28 AM
Home - Q20 (https://q20.co.za/)

Yes for cleaning. I dig this stuff. Been cleaning copiers with this stuff forever. Rollers, plastic covers, paper guides, toner build ups, drums, transfer belts, fuser rollers...

Never spray at the machine and wipe it off unless you are too lazy to get to a gear and use the tube to aim and shoot. Works really well to dissolve and wash out stuff. In that case take a cloth in my hand with the part that needs to flushed and go at it. I always rap a soft micro fiber cloth around my fingers and press on the can's nozzle to get some on there then wipe on to clean then wipe off to get rid of the oily residue. The stuff last quite well used like that. And the plastic does not mind it. If you leave dams of the stuff on plastic then it will discolor it. Found the ABS-FR and ABS does not mind the stuff at all.

Best thing to clean plastic driven rollers with is nothing else but water. Solvent will struggle but for some reason water does it better that anything else.

Seeing that we hijacked the thread...

allan
01-19-2021, 12:46 AM

Another product i used is Mr mckenic for clutches and a more aggressive touch. Drums (excluding some kyo drums), transfer belts and toner build up on metal only. The green can thats only contact cleaner does wonder to flush out clutches.

One of the managers i worked with had a finisher door with brown box tape stain on it. Sprayed the stuff onto in and started wiping. The stuff did a number on the dark grey KM plastic. Had to replace it.

Anyone else out there using the stuff? Seems to spread among the copier techs.

Custom Search