PDA

View Full Version : macOS 11 drivers for 8 series

Custom Search

rrrohan
01-19-2021, 04:08 AM
I've noticed no driver updates for macOS 11 for 8 series.

The i series have it already.

Anyone know when we can expect it?

EarthKmTech
01-19-2021, 06:48 PM
I've noticed no driver updates for macOS 11 for 8 series.

The i series have it already.

Anyone know when we can expect it?

Mid-February 2021:
- C658 series, C368 series, C759 series
- C3851/C3351 and C227/C287
- 4750i/4050i
End of February
- 958, 658e series,
- 558 series
- 750i
- 650i/550i/450i/360i/300i
- 4052/4752

dates are subject to delays and change

EarthKmTech
01-19-2021, 06:50 PM
in the mean time the customer will have to use the lacklustre airprint feature if its an M1 mac, but this very basic and wont allow any enhanced features other than basic printing.

if its an intel mac you can still use the older driver for 10.15

emujo2
01-21-2021, 04:40 PM
As a temp fix you can search Konicaminota UK drivers. This will get you to the UK site where 10.11 drivers are released for the UK machines..including Fierys. Not sure if you will need to work with A4 or LT but in a pinch....E

KenB
01-21-2021, 05:02 PM
If Windows 64 bit drivers are available (namely Windows 10) you may have an alternative.

If you have access to a Windows 10 machine, perform a test print, and see from that page which PPD file it uses (don't assume anything; there may be a boat load of ppds, and EFI does not use meaningful file names to tell them apart).

Copy that PPD file to a location on the Mac, and point to it when installing.

PPDs aren't platform specific, so it should at least give some output. Hopefully, you will get all the features you need.

I have done this numerous times in the past, mostly with Canon and Ricoh Fieries, where the Mac driver for the current version wasn't released yet.

BillyCarpenter
01-21-2021, 05:06 PM
If Windows 64 bit drivers are available (namely Windows 10) you may have an alternative.

If you have access to a Windows 10 machine, perform a test print, and see from that page which PPD file it uses (don't assume anything; there may be a boat load of ppds, and EFI does not use meaningful file names to tell them apart).

Copy that PPD file to a location on the Mac, and point to it when installing.

PPDs aren't platform specific, so it should at least give some output. Hopefully, you will get all the features you need.

I have done this numerous times in the past, mostly with Canon and Ricoh Fieries, where the Mac driver for the current version wasn't released yet.

Dude, how in the hell did you figure that out?

srvctec
01-21-2021, 05:40 PM
Dude, how in the hell did you figure that out?

Exactly my thought!!

allan
01-21-2021, 05:50 PM
Well if you been using CUPS to get authentication and other features working with linux and Mac you learn how to modify the PPD's to your liking.

Setting up CUPS to get experience with it is well worth it.

KenB
01-21-2021, 06:18 PM
Dude, how in the hell did you figure that out?I had a number of really sharp muses when I first started making copiers print. That has been one of my favorite tricks for years.

When Mac OSX was new, Canon had a really hard time getting Mac drivers released, and when they did, some features were missing, specifically the 4 drawer paper option for the iR C3200.

I probably did 20 installs using the PPD included with the Windows version once the first one was successful.

Using the Windows PPD is useful for getting user codes to work if the Mac version fails.

Also, like Alan said, you can do wonders if you know how to edit PPDs.

BillyCarpenter
01-21-2021, 06:57 PM
I had a number of really sharp muses when I first started making copiers print. That has been one of my favorite tricks for years.

When Mac OSX was new, Canon had a really hard time getting Mac drivers released, and when they did, some features were missing, specifically the 4 drawer paper option for the iR C3200.

I probably did 20 installs using the PPD included with the Windows version once the first one was successful.

Using the Windows PPD is useful for getting user codes to work if the Mac version fails.

Also, like Alan said, you can do wonders if you know how to edit PPDs.

I must learn how to do this. ;)

allan
01-21-2021, 09:23 PM
I must learn how to do this. ;)

So get yourself a Linux box and a AF1515 from the trash somewhere or any newer machine. Set the Ricoh to use authentication and get it to print from there. Find a tutorial on using CUPS. Linux mint is a great distribution to use.

The site below has a half decent PPD library. Its a great resource for developers.

Printer List | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation (http://www.openprinting.org/printers/)

rrrohan
02-22-2021, 04:20 AM
i tried the mac 11 driver today but i keep getting login errors

the user is no longer running 11.0 its now 11.2.1

but the driver download page only lists 11.0 drivers

Is the MacOS fussy enough to not like a driver only designed for base version 11.0?

slimslob
02-22-2021, 05:06 AM
i tried the mac 11 driver today but i keep getting login errors

the user is no longer running 11.0 its now 11.2.1

but the driver download page only lists 11.0 drivers

Is the MacOS fussy enough to not like a driver only designed for base version 11.0?

I think that it is KM that is overly picky on what their "Driver" works on. With Ricoh we just load the PPD installer file and let mac's own driver configure itself for the printer and options. PPD files describe the printer and its available options.

Custom Search