PDA

View Full Version : Can't start firmware update in c258

Custom Search

nitro912gr
01-20-2021, 03:41 PM
Hello and happy new year! I try to update the firmware on my develop ineo+ 258 (that is, bizhub c258 with other name) but I can't.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here or the machine hate me and my USB sticks?

I have the firmware on a USB 2.0 drive, tried the files on the root and the folder FW0002. I close the machine, get the flash drive on the USB (on the front or the rear the result is the same, and no hidden "special" USB for my machine) keep the stop pressed and open the machine.
Now if I have the files on the root of the USB it boot up normally and show me a window "this functionality is not available". If I have them on the folder it get stack on the screen with the upper right black dot (I left it there for more than half an hour and nothing changed).

Now I have read in other threads here that those machines don't really like modern USB drives so I have tried with a 16GB, 2x 8GB and even I went out to get a 4GB new one and try again but I can't find smaller ones on the market those days. All of them had the same results. I even tried to make one of them look like 1GB one by creating a smaller volume through disk management but still the same results. Formatting with windows or rufus didn't made any different either.

Even tried the USBs on the back, but as I said there is no special one, the only one that look special is the one that have the extension to the front panel on it.

Any idea what I do wrong? I also tried this crazy thing I read in a thread for 308 machine to leave the front door open while opening to boot from the USB but this didn't worked either.

Thanks in advance.

Phil B.
01-20-2021, 03:46 PM
Hello and happy new year! I try to update the firmware on my develop ineo+ 258 (that is, bizhub c258 with other name) but I can't.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here or the machine hate me and my USB sticks?

I have the firmware on a USB 2.0 drive, tried the files on the root and the folder FW0002. I close the machine, get the flash drive on the USB (on the front or the rear the result is the same, and no hidden "special" USB for my machine) keep the stop pressed and open the machine.
Now if I have the files on the root of the USB it boot up normally and show me a window "this functionality is not available". If I have them on the folder it get stack on the screen with the upper right black dot (I left it there for more than half an hour and nothing changed).

Now I have read in other threads here that those machines don't really like modern USB drives so I have tried with a 16GB, 2x 8GB and even I went out to get a 4GB new one and try again but I can't find smaller ones on the market those days. All of them had the same results. I even tried to make one of them look like 1GB one by creating a smaller volume through disk management but still the same results. Formatting with windows or rufus didn't made any different either.

Even tried the USBs on the back, but as I said there is no special one, the only one that look special is the one that have the extension to the front panel on it.

Any idea what I do wrong? I also tried this crazy thing I read in a thread for 308 machine to leave the front door open while opening to boot from the USB but this didn't worked either.

Thanks in advance.

is the usb formatted in FAT32?

nitro912gr
01-20-2021, 03:57 PM
oh yeah forgot to mention, yeah formatted to FAT32, at some time I also tried one at just FAT but the same results occurred. Tried formatting through windows, through disk management and through rufus, same results.

copier tech
01-20-2021, 04:09 PM
oh yeah forgot to mention, yeah formatted to FAT32, at some time I also tried one at just FAT but the same results occurred. Tried formatting through windows, through disk management and through rufus, same results.

I have always formatted my USB pen drives in Windows & never at an issue before. Others will tell you this is wrong & you should use a 3rd party format software tool.

In my experience try a few different USB brands, or simply restart the machine & try the process again, occasionally they don't accept the update first time.

Another user suggested using the USB on the rear of the machine where the control panel USB lead goes to.

Also unplug the LAN cable it could be doing activity in the background.

Bix
01-20-2021, 04:18 PM
The problem is almost undoubtedly the USB stick. When you start an update, after the black dot in the top right comes out, the firmware starts after 2-3 minutes.

If not, the printer should boot normally and ignore the update. But you say that the printer does not remove the screen. So this most likely confirms a problem with the USB stick. The 2gb sticks found in chips are more functional than branded ones. Then switch USB to the oldest you can find.

I have found an infallible one but that if I lose, it will make me very sorry.
If USB is not the problem, unplug options (finisher, fax, etc.)

nitro912gr
01-20-2021, 04:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers.

I have even went to my mothers house to dig in my old room, but I'm so far out of luck for smaller USB sticks. I will keep looking.

I tried the rear USB but same results, I will try with the LAN unplugged to see if this may work.

Phil B.
01-20-2021, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the answers.

I have even went to my mothers house to dig in my old room, but I'm so far out of luck for smaller USB sticks. I will keep looking.

I tried the rear USB but same results, I will try with the LAN unplugged to see if this may work.

sounds like this job is a little out of your paygrade for an end user

tsbservice
01-20-2021, 04:36 PM
Try it leaving front door open.
Also you need only FW0002 folder no other files on your USB.

nitro912gr
01-20-2021, 04:45 PM
oh my god it worked with unplugging the LAN... it is updating now.
Honestly this is crazy, not as crazy as leaving the front panel open but ok...

But why does anyone have to try this level of alchemy?
This really traveled me back in windows XP era and all the crazy things that surrounded this OS.
I expected those machines to be more modern and forgiving software wise.

Phil B.
01-20-2021, 04:49 PM
oh my god it worked with unplugging the LAN... it is updating now.
Honestly this is crazy, not as crazy as leaving the front panel open but ok...

But why does anyone have to try this level of alchemy?
This really traveled me back in windows XP era and all the crazy things that surrounded this OS.
I expected those machines to be more modern and forgiving software wise.

you should NEVER try to update firmware with Net cable plugged in.

there are a few that you do have to leave the front door open for it to update.

true techs know this. they do this to keep end users from fucking up their machines

copier tech
01-20-2021, 04:59 PM

true techs know this. they do this to keep end users from fucking up their machines

Bit late now to give advice ........... :cool:

nitro912gr
01-20-2021, 05:01 PM
you are not a true user if you don't fuck up the machine for the tech to fix :D

Copier repairman
01-29-2021, 03:30 PM
I also had this case.
I'm glad I can tell you.
The bizhub C308 or bizhub 287 models
You cannot use firmware with SenDisk.
You can use third-party 8G or 16G to work with firmware.

copier tech
01-29-2021, 08:30 PM
I also had this case.
I'm glad I can tell you.
The bizhub C308 or bizhub 287 models
You cannot use firmware with SenDisk.
You can use third-party 8G or 16G to work with firmware.

I'm using 2 & 4GB USB Pen drives without any issues.

Bix
02-01-2021, 10:09 AM

I have to be honest. In my four-year career, no one has ever given me this advice. :confused:
I have never disconnected the network cable. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

copier tech
02-01-2021, 10:44 AM
I have to be honest. In my four-year career, no one has ever given me this advice. :confused:

Some manufacturers advice you to do this on the training course, but I don't bother or simply forget, apparently it can cause an issue if the client sends a print job while updating.

emujo2
02-01-2021, 02:42 PM

Nothing in the service manual or knowledge base suggests this on any KM SMs I have looked through. ..Must be an urban legend..You should never say Bloody Mary 3 times out loud while upgrading firmware..lol

Bix
02-01-2021, 04:10 PM
Nothing in the service manual or knowledge base suggests this on any KM SMs I have looked through. ..Must be an urban legend..You should never say Bloody Mary 3 times out loud while upgrading firmware..lol

If I'm in a hurry, I never upgrade.
Printers sense my stress and freeze hahaha

femaster
02-02-2021, 02:04 AM

I've never seen anything like this mentioned for KM, nor have I ever had an issue updating with the network cable plugged in. I do know that when I worked on Ricoh/Savin lines, it was a requirement, and they pushed it hard in training. If anything came over that network cable during the update, it would cause you some major headaches that you really didn't want to experience.

copier tech
02-02-2021, 10:03 AM
I've never seen anything like this mentioned for KM, nor have I ever had an issue updating with the network cable plugged in. I do know that when I worked on Ricoh/Savin lines, it was a requirement, and they pushed it hard in training. If anything came over that network cable during the update, it would cause you some major headaches that you really didn't want to experience.

Yes, maybe i'm thinking of a Ricoh course, been on so many different manufacturers over the years.

However I do pull the LAN if working on a Bizhub in a busy office, it stops the users printing when i'm trying to access CE mode!

blackcat4866
02-03-2021, 12:24 AM
I have a handful of 2GB Centron USB2.0 sticks that I use for almost everything. The Centron sticks were misprinted with some logo that I cannot recognize, so I got them cheap. They almost never fail. I've had two of them die after daily hard use. One took a trip through the washing machine. When I inserted it in the PC it said that the drive was "dirty"! I can't imagine why? It's as clean as I could get it.

I have two 8GB sticks for the HP Pagewide XL firmware (massive: 7GB). I've also got some ancient 100MB & 250MB sticks intended for early digital cameras. When possible, I always use the smallest stick that will still hold the whole firmware file. =^..^=

rrrohan
02-03-2021, 02:52 AM
I have a handful of 2GB Centron USB2.0 sticks that I use for almost everything. The Centron sticks were misprinted with some logo that I cannot recognize, so I got them cheap. They almost never fail. I've had two of them die after daily hard use. One took a trip through the washing machine. When I inserted it in the PC it said that the drive was "dirty"! I can't imagine why? It's as clean as I could get it.

I have two 8GB sticks for the HP Pagewide XL firmware (massive: 7GB). I've also got some ancient 100MB & 250MB sticks intended for early digital cameras. When possible, I always use the smallest stick that will still hold the whole firmware file. =^..^=

im glad we dont have the CF cards anymore.

we use to use ISW to load firmware on CF card models because it always worked and we kept losing the cards or the card reader lol.

I like using ISW at runup in workshop but havent been able to get it to work since the 4 series required u to attract the files instead of leaving them as a tar file

femaster
02-03-2021, 03:22 AM
Yes, maybe i'm thinking of a Ricoh course, been on so many different manufacturers over the years.

However I do pull the LAN if working on a Bizhub in a busy office, it stops the users printing when i'm trying to access CE mode!

Yes, definitely something I tend to do as well. Nothing like attempting to get in and just as you are entering the pass code, someone sends a job and locks you out. :mad:

rrrohan
02-03-2021, 01:55 PM
If IT is onsite I tell them to set print cue to offline. I've had sites that if U don't do this jobs get jammed in cue.

Most IT don't allow Manage permissions so asking 10 lawyers to do something "technical" is impossible

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Custom Search