PDA

View Full Version : Bearing/insulating sleeve lubrication?

Custom Search

Toxic
01-23-2021, 01:01 PM
I have problem to find good lubricant when replacing new bearing and insulating sleeves.
I try some lubricants in spray bootle but all are pretty much liquid and it does not stay on surface for long time i think.
Also i think it does not like high temeprature in fusing units...
Once i got small cup of some lubricant from colleague and it looks like white hand creame, suppose to be from KM originally but i don know how to order that.

PS: I just try search Infohub and find this
00GR00260 Grease(Multemp FF-RM)

Are you use this or something else?

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 01:17 PM
Personally, if I'm installing a new bearing or bushing, I leave 'em dry. My rule of thumb is if it didn't come from the factory with oil or grease on it, then I don't put it on. I'm talking about new bearings and bushings. If it's squeaking or making a noise, then I will.

I've seen a lot of techs put grease or oil on a sealed bearing and I've found that of little help because the ball bearings are sealed and the oil really doesn't get in there.

There's a lot of good oils and greases out there. Just don't use WD 40. ;)

Toxic
01-23-2021, 01:27 PM
I am ok with new bearings, they come with lubrication inside but insulating sleeve does not and it have double friction, with roller on one side and bearing on the second side.
I have seen insulating sleeves chew up totally and make gap between roller and bearing.

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 01:33 PM
I am ok with new bearings, they come with lubrication inside but insulating sleeve does not and it have double friction, with roller on one side and bearing on the second side.
I have seen insulating sleeves chew up totally and make gap between roller and bearing.

What new bearings are you talking about that come with lubrication from the factory? In my experience most don't. The service manual will usually specify which need lubrication. And I know for a fact that the brass bushings that are used in a copier are meant to run dry. I've seen techs oil the brass bushings or worse, put grease on 'em and every particle of dirt gets attracted to the brass bushing and wears a groove in the shaft. Cleaning is what is called for with those, not grease or oil.

When you say insulating sleeve, are you referring to the fuser?

Toxic
01-23-2021, 01:43 PM
Yes, i am talking just about fuser bearings and insulating sleeves.
I never open new bearing to check but i think it must be some lubrication inside, that is why they are almost sealed from both sides and without problems they survive 1-2 mil. copies at high temperatures.

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 01:50 PM
Yes, i am talking just about fuser bearings and insulating sleeves.
I never open new bearing to check but i think it must be some lubrication inside, that is why they are almost sealed from both sides and without problems they survive 1-2 mil. copies at high temperatures.

Here's my experience with fuser bearings/bushing. I never put oil on them because the high temperature of the fuser is gonna burn the oil off and smell up the customer's office. If you need to use grease, use a high temp. grease.

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 02:15 PM
One last thing and I'm gonna be completely honest.

There are times when a machine is squeaking and if the bearing is hard to get to, I'll roll the dice and put a few drops of oil on it. Sometimes it works great, other times I get a callback and then have to disassemble/inspect or replace the bearing/shaft.

I used to work for a company and one of the techs would NEVER do anything but drop some oil on a worn bearing. He thought he was being smart because he knew the squeak would go away for a few days or long enough for him to get out the door and most of the time another tech would go behind him to fix the problem. That worked for a while until he almost got fired.

konicavod
01-23-2021, 02:27 PM
I just try search Infohub and find this

you need molykote hp-870

allan
01-23-2021, 03:00 PM
Only current machine i work on where the manual instructs to smear a thin layer of high temp grease on the sleeves only would be the Pro951 and up.
That is also not to lubricate but to set the sleeves in place. Been using Q20 and since then not a single chewed heat sleeve after that.

Also don't like to lube things.

blackcat4866
01-23-2021, 04:04 PM
Creaky fusers are common on Sharp, Konica Minolta, Kyocera.

Sharp put out a bulletin to use HP-500 on the inside and outside of the heat roller bearing contact surfaces, and for the most part the fusers would nearly make the PM cycle before they started creaking again. I'll tell you right now that it's expensive.

The other lubricant that I use is the fuser film lubricant for HP heat sleeves: Uniflor 8172
UniFlor 8172 Uniflor Fixing Film Grease, Genuine (S4800) (https://www.precisionroller.com/8172-for-uniflor/details_pn_29362.html)

The other time I use high temp grease is anytime a metal bearing contacts a metal roller or shaft. The continual expansion and contraction from heating and cooling the fuser will seize the bearing to the shaft. A small dab of high temp grease will allow that bearing to slide right off later on when you want to rebuild.

One last comment: Chemplex is not a good choice. Back 30 years ago when that was the only choice ... yes it kept one-way bearings from seizing, yes it loosened up seized fuser bearings, ... but it smoked and stank for weeks afterwards. You could walk into the room with the copier and the smell would waft over you, and you'd think: "Yep, Chemplex in the fuser. MMMMM."
=^..^=

konicavod
01-23-2021, 04:20 PM
try to find in KNOVA "bizhubPRESSC1100.1085_Please alert to lubricate at the same time with the replacement of the fusing parts._v1.0EN.doc"

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 04:36 PM
No matter what company I've worked for or in what city, I've found one thing to hold true.

Most techs are passionate about their grease & lubricants. I've seen techs that mix up their on concoction of this oil mixed with other oils. Some will only use automotive grease. If you get into a conversation about it, you may be there a while. :p

allan
01-23-2021, 04:41 PM
No matter what company I've worked for or in what city, I've found one thing to hold true.

Most techs are passionate about their grease & lubricants. I've seen techs that mix up their on concoction of this oil mixed with other oils. Some will only use automotive grease. If you get into a conversation about it, you may be there a while. :p

I do keep a small pill bottle filled with wheel bearing grease for good measure. Never seem to use it.

BillyCarpenter
01-23-2021, 04:45 PM
I do keep a small pill bottle filled with wheel bearing grease for good measure. Never seem to use it.

Oh I use grease, I just don't put in on a lot of things like I see some techs do.

Bix
01-23-2021, 05:56 PM
Hi, I got 00GR00260 grease from Konica Minolta.
This is resistant to very high temperatures and is perfect for lubrication and noise. But definitely expensive!
You don't have to put in much, you almost have to brush it and it's still efficient.

Toxic
01-24-2021, 12:01 AM
Thanks all for participate.
Personaly i neither use grease much, as a matter a fact almost only when replacing fuser parts on production machines because SM clearly notes to do that and i dont like to be smart ass to ignore it :)
I send inquiry for 00GR00260 grease and it does not matter if it is expensive, it can last long if use wisely.
Just today i replace some fuser parts on C1085 and see that old factory grease, it still look fresh and "greasy" after almost 500k.

@Bix can you maybe know what is the price roughly, I won't know until Monday? :)

mascan42
01-24-2021, 02:23 AM
Hi, I got 00GR00260 grease from Konica Minolta.
This is resistant to very high temperatures and is perfect for lubrication and noise. But definitely expensive!
You don't have to put in much, you almost have to brush it and it's still efficient.

Agreed, I've been using the same little jar for the past 5 years and still not running out. Also, this is what's recommended for the 4/8/9 series fuser bearing kits.

femaster
01-24-2021, 06:29 AM
I have problem to find good lubricant when replacing new bearing and insulating sleeves.
I try some lubricants in spray bootle but all are pretty much liquid and it does not stay on surface for long time i think.
Also i think it does not like high temeprature in fusing units...
Once i got small cup of some lubricant from colleague and it looks like white hand creame, suppose to be from KM originally but i don know how to order that.

PS: I just try search Infohub and find this

Are you use this or something else?

We use High-Temp Silicone grease. Specifically: Dow Corning Molykote 44M
It can be found in various size containers at verious prices. Here is an Amazon link to the tube we buy, and then divide it up into smaller containers. A little goes a LONG way...
https://www.amazon.com/Medium-Silicone-Lubricant-CORNING-MOLYKOTE/dp/B07VXR2XLK

Bix
01-24-2021, 07:52 PM
Personaly i neither use grease much, as a matter a fact almost only when replacing fuser parts on production machines because SM clearly notes to do that and i dont like to be smart ass to ignore it :)
I send inquiry for 00GR00260 grease and it does not matter if it is expensive, it can last long if use wisely.
Just today i replace some fuser parts on C1085 and see that old factory grease, it still look fresh and "greasy" after almost 500k.

@Bix can you maybe know what is the price roughly, I won't know until Monday? :)

I believe that for only 100g it is 70-80€!!!

Synthohol
01-24-2021, 08:17 PM
I have some special grease from Japan that was like 800.00 for the tube. I didn't buy it, some other tech ordered it a couple years ago.
I either use fuser oil or solder seal plumbers heat-pruf grease.
Never greased fuser sleeves, they are made to be used dry.

slimslob
01-24-2021, 08:23 PM

Forget about just production machines. If you have ever had a customer complain about hearing a popping or coffee peculator noise when their copier was running, it is the bearings in the fusing unit. I have encountered it even with low volume models, 20 to 40 ppm. And when the head of purchasing has her desk within earshot of the noise maker, you do something about. High temperature grease is the easiest answer. Most copier manufacturers have a grease that they recommend and sell, for a price. Some as much as $80US for a 3 oz tube. Years ago I did some research and found that Super Lube synthetic grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) works very well and at only $5.99 for a 3 oz tube at a local Harbor Freight Tool location was both inexpensive and readily available.

WLIT
01-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Yes, 00GR00260 is correct for Multi temp grease for Konica Minolta Production machines. Only about a teaspoon worth in each container, but it's what you will want for bushings. Otherwise, using something like SuperLube, your bushings will disintegrate prematurely and could result in broken fuser heat lamps. I won't admit how I know this :)

Toxic
01-25-2021, 08:33 PM
Today i ordered 00GR00260 and surprised with a low price, its arround $30.

tsbservice
01-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Today i ordered 00GR00260 and surprised with a low price, its arround $30.

I'm glad for you. For how much weight is this price?

Toxic
01-25-2021, 08:57 PM
Thanks man.
I dont know what is weight but last time i got this grease it was small bottle but i lost it somewhere.
I think there is not over 20-30 grams but can last long if use only when really need.
https://i.postimg.cc/zHV8pPns/00-GR00260.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zHV8pPns)

Bix
01-28-2021, 10:05 AM
Thanks man.
I dont know what is weight but last time i got this grease it was small bottle but i lost it somewhere.
I think there is not over 20-30 grams but can last long if use only when really need.
https://i.postimg.cc/zHV8pPns/00-GR00260.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zHV8pPns)

Yeah, I bought it in the past. 70-80€ for this hahaha

Toxic
01-28-2021, 07:32 PM
Who rip you like that? :D
KM or some other supplier?

Custom Search