PDA

View Full Version : Bizhub C368 / C558 Firmware the same?

Custom Search

Bricorley
02-01-2021, 04:13 PM
hey ya'll. Just curious if i can use C558 firmware on C368. MY C558 is current compared to the firmware i have for the C368... Thanks

Bix
02-01-2021, 04:16 PM
Hi, no they are two different firmwre:
C258/C308/C368 Last firmware GC7-X4
C458/C558/C658 Last firmware GC5-X8

Synthohol
02-01-2021, 05:36 PM
[FW Ver. A7PU0Y0-F00-G00-X4]
[Bizhub C658 Series] [FW ver. A79J0YO-F00-G00-X4]

these are the current [B]base firmware versions.
it is ill advised to use "special" firmware as suggested above unless its to fix a particular bug or symptom.
i dont know why it bothers me so much when special fix firmware is suggested instead of base FW when its not applicable or warranted.
maybe the same reason we dont let children run with scissors...

Bricorley
02-01-2021, 05:39 PM
Hi, no they are two different firmwre:
C258/C308/C368 Last firmware GC7-X4
C458/C558/C658 Last firmware GC5-X8

it is ill advised to use "special" firmware as suggested above unless its to fix a particular bug or symptom.
i dont know why it bothers me so much when special fix firmware is suggested instead of base FW when its not applicable or warranted.

Thanks for speedy reply folks.

copier tech
02-01-2021, 08:31 PM

In the UK we don’t call the latest firmware ‘special’ is merely periodic firmware, we update this when carrying out periodic maintenance on the copier.

For example look at how many ‘bug fixes’ are addressed with this periodic firmware.

Synthohol
02-01-2021, 09:10 PM
maybe its just how its presented on the website?
we were taught to not use anything in the special tab unless we were fixing a covered fix.

my apprehension is many times other techs just installed the latest pkg and something else stopped working like print drivers not matched to FW because nobody wants to update drivers on 50 workstations just because there was a newer firmware that was arbitrarily installed without reading the readme, card readers that stop working, movie data locking up the screen after a jam and you have to reboot to clear it even though the missfeed is removed and all doors cycled, AS400 data is no longer compiled properly and caused jobs to back up, etc...

its happened on a couple high profile accounts so maybe im just way more weary about it than other folks.
some paranoia is good, it stops you from "bobbing for french fries" ;)

apologies if my post seemed more personal than it was intended, its not you...its me :)

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/48111d1612213918-bizhub-c368-c558-firmware-same-sf-jpg

Bix
02-01-2021, 09:34 PM
In europe we have a completely different interface. All firmware is presented in this manner.
Official technical support and European update courses always suggest using the latest bugfix firmware.
- GP/GQ/GR/GS/GT/GU/GW/GX/GY/GZ are custom firmware, exclusive for special customers that should not be installed.
- GC/GQ/GE/GF/GG/GH these are the firmware that must be installed if there is not a fairly recent G00/G20.
Konica Minolta US and Konica Minolta EU are two almost completely different worlds.

Bix
02-01-2021, 09:37 PM
we were taught to not use anything in the special tab unless we were fixing a covered fix.

my apprehension is many times other techs just installed the latest pkg and something else stopped working like print drivers not matched to FW because nobody wants to update drivers on 50 workstations just because there was a newer firmware that was arbitrarily installed without reading the readme, card readers that stop working, movie data locking up the screen after a jam and you have to reboot to clear it even though the missfeed is removed and all doors cycled, AS400 data is no longer compiled properly and caused jobs to back up, etc...

its happened on a couple high profile accounts so maybe im just way more weary about it than other folks.
some paranoia is good, it stops you from "bobbing for french fries" ;)

apologies if my post seemed more personal than it was intended, its not you...its me :)

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/attachments/konica-minolta/48111d1612213918-bizhub-c368-c558-firmware-same-sf-jpg
I've never had these problems.
You only have these problems when the version changes too. For example in series 8 from version 4.1 to version 4.2
For the iseries same thing. You may have the problem if you switch from version 1 to version 2.

KMFLT3CH
02-01-2021, 09:45 PM
In the UK we don’t call the latest firmware ‘special’ is merely periodic firmware, we update this when carrying out periodic maintenance on the copier.

For example look at how many ‘bug fixes’ are addressed with this periodic firmware.

In the states as well. Working for KM directly we are told to update the periodic Maintenance Release firmware pretty often. i.e. if the machine isn't reporting gas gauge toner levels into vCare then it needs the latest MR which fixes the issue. Same with e101/e301 codes, Airprint issues, Papercut issues, so many more...MR firmware takes care of it. The base firmware is going on 2 years old now and really isn't used unless it's a fresh board install that needs the newest Base to get going.

rrrohan
02-02-2021, 01:23 AM
reminds me of one client i have running function version 2 because im to lazy to go around and update drivers ;)

femaster
02-02-2021, 02:12 AM
...its not you...its me :)

It's not just you, it's me too. I was also trained to NEVER install "special" firmware unless that firmware covers an issue or problem the machine is experiencing. Base firmware always.

femaster
02-02-2021, 02:14 AM
In the states as well. Working for KM directly we are told to update the periodic Maintenance Release firmware pretty often. i.e. if the machine isn't reporting gas gauge toner levels into vCare then it needs the latest MR which fixes the issue. Same with e101/e301 codes, Airprint issues, Papercut issues, so many more...MR firmware takes care of it. The base firmware is going on 2 years old now and really isn't used unless it's a fresh board install that needs the newest Base to get going.

So in essence you are saying the same thing that Synthol said. You install the "special" firmware when there is an issue that is corrected by it.

KMFLT3CH
02-02-2021, 03:04 AM
So in essence you are saying the same thing that Synthol said. You install the "special" firmware when there is an issue that is corrected by it.

Not entirely, we are expected to keep all machines in our area up to date with the latest firmware be it base or special (almost always the latter). These are tracked by a $0 part and service calls are looked over the following day to make sure firmware was updated and dip switches set accordingly. There are monthly emails sent out with the latest versions and what they fix, some are more important than others due to security issues, billing accuracies, etc. Here's one of the many bulletins, this one is from last year but you get the idea. More than half the model lines in the bulletin require Special fw: 48114

I honestly don't remember the last time I came across a machine still running base fw except for new installs.

But hey to each their own, choose to update your machines or not it doesn't affect me :)

adecanmin
02-02-2021, 03:56 AM
I was experimenting with the firmware on a shop machine. It needed a special firmware to be able to scan smb 2.0. I installed it, smb 2.0, it worked. Just to see what would happen. I installed a newer special firmware and it removed the smb 2.0. functionality. Why wouldn't a special firmware include all fixes up the that point in time instead of having to cherry pick?

femaster
02-02-2021, 05:13 AM
Not entirely, we are expected to keep all machines in our area up to date with the latest firmware be it base or special (almost always the latter). These are tracked by a $0 part and service calls are looked over the following day to make sure firmware was updated and dip switches set accordingly. There are monthly emails sent out with the latest versions and what they fix, some are more important than others due to security issues, billing accuracies, etc. Here's one of the many bulletins, this one is from last year but you get the idea. More than half the model lines in the bulletin require Special fw: 48114

I honestly don't remember the last time I came across a machine still running base fw except for new installs.

But hey to each their own, choose to update your machines or not it doesn't affect me :)

These aren't my guidlines, I just follow what the "boss" tells me to do. Frankly, I don't think he has a clue a lot of the time, but don't tell him I said that! :cool:

In the bulletin you provided, while it states that it is a "Highly Recommended" update that covers a pretty significant security flaw, it only affects machines that have an external keyboard attached. In this case, we would only update the affected machines that actually have keyboards installed. Out of the few thousand machines we service, maybe 50 or 60 total have external keyboards, and of those, there might be 5 that are on the affected models. In this case, only those 5 would be updated to the indicated special firmware, from either the base firmware, or whatever previously installed special firmware may have been on them.

Phil B.
02-02-2021, 06:27 AM
These aren't my guidlines, I just follow what the "boss" tells me to do. Frankly, I don't think he has a clue a lot of the time, but don't tell him I said that! :cool:

In the bulletin you provided, while it states that it is a "Highly Recommended" update that covers a pretty significant security flaw, it only affects machines that have an external keyboard attached. In this case, we would only update the affected machines that actually have keyboards installed. Out of the few thousand machines we service, maybe 50 or 60 total have external keyboards, and of those, there might be 5 that are on the affected models. In this case, only those 5 would be updated to the indicated special firmware, from either the base firmware, or whatever previously installed special firmware may have been on them.How many bosses REALLY have a grasp on tech issues OR customers needs/demands?
We can talk to them until we are blue in the face, they only hear what they want to.
Prime example, the last ass I worked for wanted to carry the image graph line of Canon. The ops manager and the service manager (me) voted thumbs down, he over rode us and signed up for a six year deal, the 1st four machines were screwed out of the box. I am trained on the product. They shipped us replacements ...
CORPORATE TECHS failed getting the first ones shipped fixed, and two more out of the second shipments were sent back. Boss lost 3 federal contracts due to these problems.
We installed Epson wide formats in the other... extremely pleased with the product.
Then he screwed OPS Mgr and myself out of sales contracts and spiffs.
Tony and I left shortly later.
His biz is now in the shitter, because he lied to us and the customers.
He also screwed recycle customers, he is filing for bankruptcy... 30+ years and now he is selling used cars.
A shister always gets his hust rewards![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

copier tech
02-02-2021, 09:58 AM
reminds me of one client i have running function version 2 because im to lazy to go around and update drivers ;)

Surely the driver is the same regardless of what function version the machine is on!?

rrrohan
02-02-2021, 10:08 AM
Surely the driver is the same regardless of what function version the machine is on!?

nope. old driver wouldnt support function version 4+ and since they used account track it didnt like it.

if im honest i still dont know what a function versions mean. ud think v2 vs v4.2 must include many advanced and improved functions but im yet to notice any.

airprint on 4 series was only time ive felt the need to up the function version

Bix
02-02-2021, 10:26 AM
The version enables and disables the new printer features. If the account track doesn't work, you can keep the firmware up to date and just do a simple downgrade for the version via dipsw. For example, in the 8 series printers, if you upgraded from version 3.3 to version 4.2, the web interface is completely renewed.

In germany KM would almost force us to update with periodic firmware because there are often important updates for the security of the printer lately. With the GDPR in Europe, large companies could face heavy fines.
This is our interface and there are no divisions.

copier tech
02-02-2021, 11:11 AM
I don't have any Bizhubs using account track so maybe this is why we've never had an issue updating a function version in the past.

KMFLT3CH
02-02-2021, 02:13 PM
In the bulletin you provided, while it states that it is a "Highly Recommended" update that covers a pretty significant security flaw, it only affects machines that have an external keyboard attached. In this case, we would only update the affected machines that actually have keyboards installed. Out of the few thousand machines we service, maybe 50 or 60 total have external keyboards, and of those, there might be 5 that are on the affected models. In this case, only those 5 would be updated to the indicated special firmware, from either the base firmware, or whatever previously installed special firmware may have been on them.

I mean, that fw had a bunch of other good fixes too, listed on page 4 - 48120
I'm surprised to hear more machines aren't sold with the external Cherry keyboard, our Sales team seems to think every machine should go out with them *eyeroll*

In germany KM would almost force us to update with periodic firmware because there are often important updates for the security of the printer lately. With the GDPR in Europe, large companies could face heavy fines.

Also often the case for U.S. KM direct.

rrrohan
02-02-2021, 02:42 PM
Yeah firmware was updated at runup.

I've never had luck updating driver of print cue I always have issues and end up having to del the cue.

Hence changing one bit switch was way easier

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Custom Search