PDA

View Full Version : Office365 email scan

Custom Search

nelo
02-16-2021, 01:12 PM
Hi All, I have customer who's got a C224e and has been trying to scan to email but scans are failing. This started after they upgraded to office365.

I contacted their IT support to provide me the smtp address, port #, SSL / TLS details for their O365. The IT guy provided the details required with an email address and its password for authentication. After entering all the details into the machines Email TX section I still get a server connection error when a test scan to email is made.

I have rechecked the machines SSL/TSL version setting and is on 1.2
Rechecked the Email TX settings ie; port#, SSL/ TLS, smtp address, authentication details, machines IP, gateway, sub net and DNS addresses and domain name are all correct and as provided by the IT guy.
I can ping the the smtp address from the machine. The machines date and time is current.

I then uploaded a firmware and did test scan to email but the same connection error. I initialed the machines network settings and re-entered every details again but still the same issue when scan to email is tested.

I am thinking if there is a specific firmware for this issue, a small setting I may have over looked or is it an internal customer network issue.

I am out of ideas and seek some assistance to rectify this issue.

Thank you.

blazebusiness
02-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Hi All, I have customer who's got a C224e and has been trying to scan to email but scans are failing. This started after they upgraded to office365.

I contacted their IT support to provide me the smtp address, port #, SSL / TLS details for their O365. The IT guy provided the details required with an email address and its password for authentication. After entering all the details into the machines Email TX section I still get a server connection error when a test scan to email is made.

Rechecked the Email TX settings ie; port#, SSL/ TLS, smtp address, authentication details, machines IP, gateway, sub net and DNS addresses and domain name are all correct and as provided by the IT guy.
I can ping the the smtp address from the machine. The machines date and time is current.

I then uploaded a firmware and did test scan to email but the same connection error. I initialed the machines network settings and re-entered every details again but still the same issue when scan to email is tested.

I am thinking if there is a specific firmware for this issue, a small setting I may have over looked or is it an internal customer network issue.

Thank you.

Usually it is quite simple for us when we do it just with the following basic steps:

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com

Enable TLS

Auth enabled:

username @ domain .com

password

set a from address

finished

nelo
02-16-2021, 01:46 PM
Usually it is quite simple for us when we do it just with the following basic steps:

SMTP Server: smtp.office365.com

Enable TLS

Auth enabled:

username @ domain .com

password

set a from address

finished

Below is the details I entered.

smtp: smtp.office365.com
Port #: 25 or 587 Start TLS
Authentication: Enabled
User: xxxxx@xxxxx.com.pg
Password: xxxxxx

From address: xxxxxx@xxxxx.com.pg

I got connection error on ports # 25 and 587.

I didn't want to confuse myself with all types of office365 scan to email setups so I was just trying the simple setup.

Below is another office365 setup done by another customer IT suport and scan to email works fine. Tried the similar setup on my customer but same result.

smtp: xxxxx-com-pg.mail.protection.outlook.com
Port #: 25 / start TLS
Authentication: disabled

Bix
02-16-2021, 01:51 PM
dns e gateway are okay?

copier tech
02-16-2021, 01:58 PM

Thank you.

I have dozens the 4e series scanning via 0365 without any issues so they are supported.

I update all mine to the latest firmware version (this maybe called ‘special’ in your country)
Then update to the latest function version, currently function version 7.

nelo
02-16-2021, 02:17 PM
I have dozens the 4e series scanning via 0365 without any issues so they are supported.

I update all mine to the latest firmware version (this maybe called ‘special’ in your country)
Then update to the latest function version, currently function version 7.

Will try the latest firmware download and upload.

nelo
02-16-2021, 02:18 PM
dns e gateway are okay?

Yes, DNS 1 & 2 plus the gateway is correct.

nelo
02-16-2021, 02:20 PM
dns e gateway are okay?

Would SSL / TLS security certificate needed to be created?

copier tech
02-16-2021, 02:25 PM
While you are troubleshooting the 0365 issue you could create a gmail account & use that so your client can scan.

Bix
02-16-2021, 02:47 PM
gmail smtp:
SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com (flag HOST name address)
Use SSL/TLS: SMTP over SSL
SSL port number: 465
Peripheral mail address: your email
SMTP authentication: ON (Id name: Gmail email address - Password: Gmail email password)

In Google settings, set "Allow access to less secure apps".

blazebusiness
02-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Below is the details I entered.

smtp: smtp.office365.com
Port #: 25 or 587 Start TLS
Authentication: Enabled
User: xxxxx@xxxxx.com.pg
Password: xxxxxx

From address: xxxxxx@xxxxx.com.pg

I got connection error on ports # 25 and 587.

I didn't want to confuse myself with all types of office365 scan to email setups so I was just trying the simple setup.

Below is another office365 setup done by another customer IT suport and scan to email works fine. Tried the similar setup on my customer but same result.

smtp: xxxxx-com-pg.mail.protection.outlook.com
Port #: 25 / start TLS
Authentication: disabled

Basic procedure I follow to setup Gmail or office 365 scanning in more detail below:

First---Get the following data:

SMTP server address
SMTP port number
IP address of Konica MFP

Open IP address of copier in chrome
Pagescope web connection opens
Login as admin (default 12345678 twice)

System settings: Important--- Fill out the 2 email address fields with a valid gmail or office 365 address(the rest of the fields just put in whatever you want)

Go to Network settings:
Select TCP/IP settings and enter primary DNS server
Google 8.8.8.8 (secondary 8.8.4.4)
Go to email TX settings(SMTP) :
Turn on email TX and check SMTP enter host name box
Gmail: enter smtp.gmail.com
select start TLS
port number: use 587 (or sometimes need to use 465 or 25)
scroll down verify device email is correct
check the SMTP authentication box
also enter the email address in the user id field
check the password has changed box and enter email password

Go to store address and set it up for each user.

For Office 365
Mailbox: You must have a licensed Office 365 mailbox to send email from.
Transport Layer Security (TLS): Your device must be able to use TLS version 1.2 and above.Under the security tab in pagescope verify TLS box is checked to enable it.
Port: Port 587 (recommended) or port 25 is required and must be unblocked on your network. Some network firewalls or ISPs block ports, especially port 25.
DNS: You must use the DNS name smtp.office365.com. Do not use an IP address for the Microsoft 365 or Office 365 server, as IP Addresses are not supported.

This method will not work when 2FA (2 factor authentication) is enabled for office 365. Instead, use Direct Send with no authentication.

B0265
02-16-2021, 03:02 PM
Would SSL / TLS security certificate needed to be created?
Create a new certificate with SHA-256 encryption.

copier addict
02-16-2021, 09:49 PM
What is the network error code. I know you said server connection error, but there should also be a numeric code to give you more details.

EarthKmTech
02-18-2021, 10:42 AM
Side note, I see you are in PNG, I was just there for 3 weeks :cool:

With the office 365 scanning you can use the direct send method with no authentication at all, but some settings need to be entered into the domain provider settings or emails from the machine always be detected as spam. Downside of this is you can only scan to email addresses within your own domain.

The IT person should be able to follow the instructions, its not hard. I did it with my home machine and office365 account.

Or as others say, you could just setup a Gmail account with less secure apps enabled. Its easy and works.

App password for the mfp is also an option for office365 scanning too, but not available with all subscription types.

D Colour
02-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Thank you.

Sent you a PM. What is your email address?

Gift
01-24-2022, 02:09 PM
My IT guy is currently dealing with a few customers complaining about unreliable scan to mail function wih O365. Kind of every 4th scan attempt ends up with a connection error. It doesn't matter if the job contains many or just one page. Unfortunately I don't have the error codes at hand. Last case was with a C300i with latest firmware of course. Customers IT hooked up a brother MFP with he same account and no issues occured with it.

I can recall that I had a case like this and the culprit was TCP IP v6 - once disabled the problem was gone. Unfortunately this doesn't help for the current cases.

Anyone met this problem so far? Kinda need new input^^

Edit: Error Code is 554

blazebusiness
01-24-2022, 03:05 PM
My IT guy is currently dealing with a few customers complaining about unreliable scan to mail function wih O365. Kind of every 4th scan attempt ends up with a connection error. It doesn't matter if the job contains many or just one page. Unfortunately I don't have the error codes at hand. Last case was with a C300i with latest firmware of course. Customers IT hooked up a brother MFP with he same account and no issues occured with it.

I can recall that I had a case like this and the culprit was TCP IP v6 - once disabled the problem was gone. Unfortunately this doesn't help for the current cases.

Anyone met this problem so far? Kinda need new input^^

Edit: Error Code is 554

Run a check for packet loss.

Gift
01-24-2022, 03:24 PM
Run a check for packet loss.

Yeah we performed a "-t" ping to some destinations from a clients computer with no obvious probs.

Max
01-24-2022, 09:42 PM
There is a technical bulletin regarding scanning to office 365. Bit sw setting, different encryption and new sertificate needs to be created. Still hit and miss in my experience.

Gift
01-25-2022, 07:23 AM
I can only see a few bulletins that are a few years old and mainly for older models.

I would guess most customers don't have any props with office 365 scan-to-mail so it's hard to guess what's really the problem if other MFB brands in the same network do not run into these occasional errors. I still have a feeling in my gut that it's some network or ISP based issue like already suggested (e.g. packet loss) and KM's controller/firmware might not be as "tolerant" compared to brother.

Thanks to that successful brother test I can't relly refuse to investigate this further, because we kind of stand "back to the wall" and I don't like just to say "hey customer, I have no idea what's going on but the problem is still not our MFP" - so I need to work out some more solid arguments.

I recommended my IT guy to check the customers config in our showroom and if it works here with our demo c300i (I'd guess so). After this and to rule out any "0,x percent chance for a hardware issue" he should visit the customer on site and test the MFP with a mobile pocket router and his cellphone to entirely bypass the customers IT + ISP enviroment. He also can try and ping the O365 server directly from the MFP a bunch of times.

copytechtrouble
01-25-2022, 10:08 AM
Create a new certificate with SHA-256 encryption.
this is the correct answer

Gift
01-25-2022, 02:56 PM
this is the correct answer

Tried that via remote with no success / customer O365 scanner account works in our demo C300i. I managed to get the pocket router / mobile hot spot thingy up and running with my IT guy and we're going to visit the customer tomorrow.

Gift
01-26-2022, 10:05 AM
Well what should I say:

We did a network parameter reset via service mode, reconfigured IP+SMTP, did several tests and now every attempt is successful.

Roufi
11-11-2022, 10:20 AM
Gudnait Nelson,

Brat, there has been a security update regarding Secure App / App Password for authenticating MFP Devices that are routing scans through O365 and Gmail SMTP Servers. Just attended one today here in Pom. All your settings seems ok, just turn on Two Factor Authentication with your Office 365 account make sure to use an App Password instead of your regular login password. Its gonna be a Funky text of codes.

Cheers brat,

rrrohan
11-11-2022, 06:06 PM
the golden rules i have for office 365 are

Self Signed Cert with maximum encryption strength and as much validity period as it will allow

and

Disable TLS 1.1

i always try the domain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com first before smtp.office365.com if no advise from customer/IT.
the relay often wont allow scanning external so if they use MYOB scanning it will always fail with Login error.

if all else fails i use SMTP2Go service and just verify the sends email address is valid

Markks
11-12-2022, 01:34 AM

Thank you.

Konica Minolta fully supports scan-to-email using Microsoft® Office 365™.
Microsoft® Office 365™ uses SHA-2 for its mandatory hashing cryptography algorithm.

In 2002, SHA-2 became the new recommended hashing standard. SHA-2 is often called the SHA-2 family of hashes because it contains many different-size hashes, including 224-, 256-, 384-, and 512-bit digests.Currently the most popular one is 256-bits

As of January 1, 2016, Microsoft will no longer allow certificate authorities in the Microsoft Root Certificate Program to issue certificates for SSL or code signing that use the SHA-1 hashing algorithm. SHA-2 is the preferred method now.

The following are the incoming and outgoing IMAP server settings for Office 365.

Setting IMAP (incoming) SMTP (outgoing)
Server Name outlook.office365.com smtp.office365.com
Port Number 993 587
Encryption Method SSL TLS

Supported Models:

bizhub 224e/284e/364e/454e/554e
bizhub 654e/754e/
bizhub C224e/C284e/C364e
bizhub C454e_C554e
bizhub C654e_C754e
bizhub 227/287
bizhub C258/C308/C368
bizhub C458/C558/C658
bizhub 808/958
bizhub 4050/4750
bizhub C3350/C3850/C3850FS
bizhub C220/C280/C360

Please see attached Technical Bulletin #10310.

Notes:
1. NON-4e "Version Up firmware for MIF devices" is required to support SHA2. (bizhub C224/C284/C364/C454/C554/C654/C754)
You can use any of the following Special Firmware:

bizhub C224, C284, C364, C454, C554 Special Firmware Version GB0-K9 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)
bizhub C654, C754 Special Firmware Version GB0-K9 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)
bizhub C224, C284, C364, C454, C554 Special Firmware Version GB6-K9 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)
bizhub C654, C754 Special Firmware Version GB6-K9 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)
bizhub C224, C284, C364, C454, C554 Special Firmware Version GB5-K6 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)
bizhub C654, C754 Special Firmware Version GB5-K6 Support of SHA-256 (Version Up firmware for MIF devices)

2. Special Instructions on how to install these firmwares are provided in attached "Version Up firmware for MIF devices" document.
3. Please follow the attached procedures in setting up scan to Email using Microsoft® Office 365™.

Custom Search