PDA

View Full Version : C558 df 701 not staying up

Custom Search

JOHNR
02-17-2021, 09:02 AM
FIRST OF ALL I WANTED TO SAY I AM NOT A TECHNICIAN, I OWN A BOOK-COPY STORE BUT I USE BIZHUBS AND 'SERVISE' THEM FOR ABOUT 8-9 YEARS BECAUSE THE SERVICE GUY IN MY TOWN DOESN'T WANT TO SERVISE MY MACHINES (C368,C458 AND C558) BECAUSE I DID NOT BUY THEM FROM HIM.HE WANTED TO SELL ME THE SAME MACHINE 2,500 EUROS MORE THAN I FOUND IT.(454e 7 YEARS AGO)
ANYWAY I JUST BOUGHT THE C558 WITH JUST 70.000 COPIES BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM.THE ADF DOES NOT STAY UP WHEN I OPEN IT.ONLY IF I OPEN IT JUST 15-20 cm IT STAYS OPEN.
I CALLED THE GUY WHO SOLD ME THE MACHINE AND HE DOES NOT KNOWS WHY.I CHECKED THE SCREWS AND COMPARED THE ADF WITH THE OTHER DF 701 I HAVE (C458) AND THEY LOOK THE SAME.THE SCREWS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE AND NOTHING LOOKS OUT OF ORDER.I LOOKED THE SERVICE MANUAL BUT DIDNOT FIND SOMETHING.
DOES ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?ANY IDEAS FROM THE GREAT TECHNICIANS IN THIS FORUM?(I HAVE READ MANY USEFULL THINGS IN THIS FORUM)
THANK YOU ANYWAY

Gift
02-17-2021, 09:51 AM
The DF should stay open if you move it up like a 45 degree angle. If it falls back the spring mechanism inside the hinges might have became too weak over time. This usually happens over time if you leave the DF open for longer periods of time. Solution: Ask the tech to replace the hinges or live with it.

I just checked a C458 I found here in my shop - kind of the same issue - might be a weak spot after all ;)

tsbservice
02-17-2021, 10:03 AM
1. WHEN YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’RE SHOUTING.
2. Please don't do it.
3. Are you sure DF is 701? Bizhub C558 uses DF-704.
4. If correct DF is used and it lowers itself then I'm afraid left hinge(the one with big spring) may be broken although never seen this on Konicas.

Good luck

Bix
02-17-2021, 10:04 AM
The DF 701 is very heavy. it is preferable to leave it closed than to keep it open, especially to avoid waste of toner due to exposure of the glass to light. You can adjust the back screw but it won't change the pressure much.

JOHNR
02-17-2021, 10:56 AM
1. WHEN YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU’RE SHOUTING.
2. Please don't do it.
3. Are you sure DF is 701? Bizhub C558 uses DF-704.
4. If correct DF is used and it lowers itself then I'm afraid left hinge(the one with big spring) may be broken although never seen this on Konicas.

Good luck

Sorry for the caps.
The c368 that i also have uses the DF-704,and it is not the same with the c558.
Anyway the hinge looks O.k,but it could be loose so i will change it and get back to you guys.
Thank you very much!!!

JOHNR
02-17-2021, 11:18 AM
The DF 701 is very heavy. it is preferable to leave it closed than to keep it open, especially to avoid waste of toner due to exposure of the glass to light. You can adjust the back screw but it won't change the pressure much.

I keep it closed but if i want to copy a page from a book it is quite difficult.I already tried he back screw but did not do much.(as you said)
The left bigger hinge has a bit of oil on it.is this normal?You think if i clean it could it be better?
thank you

Gift
02-17-2021, 01:40 PM
I keep it closed but if i want to copy a page from a book it is quite difficult.I already tried he back screw but did not do much.(as you said)
The left bigger hinge has a bit of oil on it.is this normal?You think if i clean it could it be better?
thank you

Leave the oil, it's normal and just the springs loosing the inital force over time. I guess the engineers did not add much headroom while finding the right springs for that hinges ;)

blazebusiness
02-17-2021, 02:15 PM
Sorry for the caps.
The c368 that i also have uses the DF-704,and it is not the same with the c558.
Anyway the hinge looks O.k,but it could be loose so i will change it and get back to you guys.
Thank you very much!!!

To be very clear -tsbservice is correct, the c558 uses the DF-704 and did not come with the DF-701.
If you now have a DF-701 on that c558, then someone probably swapped it with a 4 series feeder.
That being said, the 8 series document feeders and finishers are very similar and might be compatible and interchangeably work with the 4 and 8 series. I have personally used the 8 series finishers on a 4 series with no issues.

Albonline
02-17-2021, 07:51 PM
FIRST OF ALL I WANTED TO SAY I AM NOT A TECHNICIAN, I OWN A BOOK-COPY STORE BUT I USE BIZHUBS AND 'SERVISE' THEM FOR ABOUT 8-9 YEARS BECAUSE THE SERVICE GUY IN MY TOWN DOESN'T WANT TO SERVISE MY MACHINES (C368,C458 AND C558) BECAUSE I DID NOT BUY THEM FROM HIM.HE WANTED TO SELL ME THE SAME MACHINE 2,500 EUROS MORE THAN I FOUND IT.(454e 7 YEARS AGO)
ANYWAY I JUST BOUGHT THE C558 WITH JUST 70.000 COPIES BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM.THE ADF DOES NOT STAY UP WHEN I OPEN IT.ONLY IF I OPEN IT JUST 15-20 cm IT STAYS OPEN.
I CALLED THE GUY WHO SOLD ME THE MACHINE AND HE DOES NOT KNOWS WHY.I CHECKED THE SCREWS AND COMPARED THE ADF WITH THE OTHER DF 701 I HAVE (C458) AND THEY LOOK THE SAME.THE SCREWS ARE IN THE SAME PLACE AND NOTHING LOOKS OUT OF ORDER.I LOOKED THE SERVICE MANUAL BUT DIDNOT FIND SOMETHING.
DOES ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?ANY IDEAS FROM THE GREAT TECHNICIANS IN THIS FORUM?(I HAVE READ MANY USEFULL THINGS IN THIS FORUM)
THANK YOU ANYWAY

key words here, I OWN A BOOK-COPY STORE. if you are pushing down on the adf to flatten books you are stressing the weight carrying hinge, the steel bracketry, and plastic adf frame. it will probably need a hinge at least.

pn A782113701 Hinge /Left

blackcat4866
02-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Something to keep in mind: In one of my very first copier classes, back when glass was 3mm thick, we were informed that copier original glass is designed to accept #6 of pressure.

How much pressure are you applying? Just as a reference, with only my pinkie finger I can apply #50 of pressure. With my right hand only I can apply over #100 of pressure.

If you are not careful you'll have broken glass, or a bent scanner component by bowing in the glass. This is my told-you-so.
And if you tell me you've never broken a piece of copier glass, I'll bet every member here will confirm replacing copier glass for exactly that reason.

=^..^=

slimslob
02-17-2021, 11:23 PM
Something to keep in mind: In one of my very first copier classes, back when glass was 3mm thick, we were informed that copier original glass is designed to accept #6 of pressure.

How much pressure are you applying? Just as a reference, with only my pinkie finger I can apply #50 of pressure. With my right hand only I can apply over #100 of pressure.

If you are not careful you'll have broken glass, or a bent scanner component by bowing in the glass. This is my told-you-so.
And if you tell me you've never broken a piece of copier glass, I'll bet every member here will confirm replacing copier glass for exactly that reason.

=^..^=

I've not broken any platen glass other than to have dropped a few, but I have broken the slit glass on a few Ricoh by lean to much on the left top cover near the glass.

Phil B.
02-17-2021, 11:46 PM
I've not broken any platen glass other than to have dropped a few, but I have broken the slit glass on a few Ricoh by lean to much on the left top cover near the glass.I never have broken the platen glass either, had to replace them from a heavy set female making copies of her ' cooter '.
She spent two hours in ER getting the shattered glass removed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rrrohan
02-18-2021, 12:51 AM
id just remove the 2 plates on the hinges and allow the ADF to open full 90 degrees. surely it will stay in that position even with dodgy spring

JOHNR
02-18-2021, 08:10 AM
key words here, I OWN A BOOK-COPY STORE. if you are pushing down on the adf to flatten books you are stressing the weight carrying hinge, the steel bracketry, and plastic adf frame. it will probably need a hinge at least.

pn A782113701 Hinge /Left

I am not pushing down on the adf,maybe the previous owner.I just bought the machine(with low count, 70,000 copies)
Anyway thanks for the part number ! Very helpfull

JOHNR
02-18-2021, 08:30 AM

=^..^=

I never broke a copier glass,i am not pushing down the adf when i copy from bookbinded documents.I just enlarge or stick a piece of paper if it is smaller than the paper i am using.
But good to know that the glass could bent if such a small force is applied.

Gift
02-18-2021, 08:57 AM
id just remove the 2 plates on the hinges and allow the ADF to open full 90 degrees. surely it will stay in that position even with dodgy spring

Probably a good budget solution but not suitable/safe in a book store if the customers are allowed to operate the MFPs.

Custom Search