PDA

View Full Version : Black drums used as color

Custom Search

schmeckles22
02-19-2021, 11:38 AM
Hello,

I have been using black drums for CMY for a while now and I print high coverage on each sheet, I get them to around 65% before they need to be changed.
My brother runs a similar business and says with the correct CMYK drum units without being rechipped he can run them down to 30%.

I thought they were the same, was he just lucky? Both of us use genuine drums only.

tsbservice
02-19-2021, 05:54 PM
And the model is?

copier tech
02-19-2021, 08:53 PM
Hello,

I have been using black drums for CMY for a while now and I print high coverage on each sheet, I get them to around 65% before they need to be changed.
My brother runs a similar business and says with the correct CMYK drum units without being rechipped he can run them down to 30%.

I thought they were the same, was he just lucky? Both of us use genuine drums only.

Use the correct genuine drum AND toner for your ‘mystery’ model & you’ll get around 150% life.

schmeckles22
02-19-2021, 11:48 PM
Use the correct genuine drum AND toner for your ‘mystery’ model & you’ll get around 150% life.

Some people on this forum have said that black drums are identical, just different chips.
This is for the C284e and they are all genuine parts just rechipped.

EarthKmTech
02-20-2021, 02:08 AM

definitely the case on the older corona drum charge versions like e series, but 8 series on with pre-charge roller i rarely see them make it to 100%, usually start failing with anything less than 10% left.

allan
02-20-2021, 02:49 AM
Its exactly the same same thing just the chips are different. You need to rechip them to reset counters and age compensation.

copyman
02-20-2021, 03:07 AM
And other option if not getting more than 100% drum life is using aftermarket drum & chip. Been getting great yields on various models. 100% genuine toners but aftermarket drums, belts, fuser rollers. Profit margin way up and customer happy. If they check internet and see your price is way lower than any posted they are happy. Perhaps for a print shop or graphic artists, etc then using everything genuine makes sense. But for 99% of my accounts "business color" is all that's needed.

REGSIS
02-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Hello,

Why do you need to change them?
What is the problem?

schmeckles22
02-24-2021, 08:51 AM
Why do you need to change them?
What is the problem?

I change them every 1-2 months as I start to see lines down prints, I print a lot of full coverage images so I expect them to degrade faster but from my brother he has said that the non-chipped versions have longer life it seems.
Printer is C284e.

I have noticed that I can get a few desperate days out of them if I use the stick and shove it through the hole at the bottom and pull the white cleaning sticks but it's a last resort.

Gift
02-24-2021, 09:30 AM
We don't have any issues with the Cxx4(e) series drum conversion, 99% of the initital or modified drums exceeds the predicted lifecycle by "a lot"

Bix
02-24-2021, 09:30 AM
It is still unclear whether you use original toners or not. On the 4/4e series the drums can do two turns without problems.
Using aftermarket toners compromises this.

schmeckles22
02-24-2021, 09:32 AM
It is still unclear whether you use original toners or not. On the 4/4e series the drums can do two turns without problems.
Using aftermarket toners compromises this.

All genuine toners and genuine DR-512k units.
My average page coverage is around 60-70% which is why they degrade faster but I wanted to know if DR512K is the same as DR512C,Y,M.

Don't get me wrong, if they were used for standard office prints (text, the odd image) you wouldn't notice, but I print customers designs on to banners so it's noticeable. Just trying to work out if they are indeed different and if it's cost effective to buy DR512K,M,C,Y.

The degrading is visible by dark bleed lines down designs - Light grey images will have a dark grey line down the page etc

Bix
02-24-2021, 09:46 AM
Yes its are the same.
you need to swap the chips and you can buy them aftermarket. You could also do this with dev units.

schmeckles22
02-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Yes its are the same.
you need to swap the chips and you can buy them aftermarket. You could also do this with dev units.

Yes I already change the chips, just wanted confirmation that they are the same.
I wonder why my brother can manage to get much more life out of them than me, seems odd.

How is it done with dev units? I thought they had developer powder made for specific colours?

Bix
02-24-2021, 10:41 AM
Yes I already change the chips, just wanted confirmation that they are the same.
I wonder why my brother can manage to get much more life out of them than me, seems odd.

How is it done with dev units? I thought they had developer powder made for specific colours?
There are many factors such as humidity, temperature, printing conditions. For the developer unit you need to make at least 100-200 prints to make the color change after the change.

schmeckles22
02-24-2021, 11:19 AM
There are many factors such as humidity, temperature, printing conditions. For the developer unit you need to make at least 100-200 prints to make the color change after the change.

Ahhhh, I really didn't know that - thanks for the tip.
I feel like my room is relatively warm (standard room temp) and humidity is normal.
Strange that he gets much more out of the official color drums vs my chipped.

REGSIS
02-26-2021, 07:14 PM
I change them every 1-2 months as I start to see lines down prints, I print a lot of full coverage images so I expect them to degrade faster but from my brother he has said that the non-chipped versions have longer life it seems.
Printer is C284e.

I have noticed that I can get a few desperate days out of them if I use the stick and shove it through the hole at the bottom and pull the white cleaning sticks but it's a last resort.

On high coverage machines laser beam struck the drum surface x times more than low coverage ones.
So it is normal that your drums last less then "regular" customers.

One technician told me that colour drums have better quality.
At first I tought he must be wrong. Recently, I checked one of my machine at customer such as you. Black drum was unusable but colour drumS (DR512 CMY) were Ok. That set made 40k.
On the next change I will put all 4 black and make a comparison.
That takes time, 'cause customer prints 20K per year.

My conclusion is: they look same, but really are not. Maybe colour ones has thicker photosensitive layer, and thus make them so expensive. What is more economic for you, only you can test and calculate. Try both ways and come to conclusion. For most users all 4 black is a way to go.

All the time keep in mind that transfer belt and transfer roller make the same lines when worn.
To make percise comparison you should replace belt and roller with each set of drums. But that raise the price.

For this particular customer (see above) I change belt and roller every 100k.

P.S. with that stick you clean PH windows. You should do it every 20k. Also pull white cleaning plastics on each drum 2-3 times every 20k.
Clean IDC sensors and do the gradation adjust. It should help a little.

Good luck!

schmeckles22
02-26-2021, 10:08 PM
On high coverage machines laser beam struck the drum surface x times more than low coverage ones.
So it is normal that your drums last less then "regular" customers.

One technician told me that colour drums have better quality.
At first I tought he must be wrong. Recently, I checked one of my machine at customer such as you. Black drum was unusable but colour drumS (DR512 CMY) were Ok. That set made 40k.
On the next change I will put all 4 black and make a comparison.
That takes time, 'cause customer prints 20K per year.

My conclusion is: they look same, but really are not. Maybe colour ones has thicker photosensitive layer, and thus make them so expensive. What is more economic for you, only you can test and calculate. Try both ways and come to conclusion. For most users all 4 black is a way to go.

All the time keep in mind that transfer belt and transfer roller make the same lines when worn.
To make percise comparison you should replace belt and roller with each set of drums. But that raise the price.

For this particular customer (see above) I change belt and roller every 100k.

P.S. with that stick you clean PH windows. You should do it every 20k. Also pull white cleaning plastics on each drum 2-3 times every 20k.
Clean IDC sensors and do the gradation adjust. It should help a little.

Good luck!

Thank you for your in depth reply! I will give the color drums a shot as I can't keep replacing these ones monthly.
£356 each month is high and maybe the colour will get me 3-5months out of them.

Worth a try :)

I am always doing graduation adjusts on my printer, after so many prints it struggles to print light shades of pink or grey (they will become white) and this is the only way to solve it, could be a hardware fault?

REGSIS
02-28-2021, 07:36 AM
When you replace belt and all 4 drums and you get nice clean image without darker lines then you cannot say it is a hardware issue. You may get some light lines even after 20k. That is about 30% of drum life.
On a production machine like C3070 you may get such line at 150k out of 450k which is suposed to be max drum life. It is very similar ratio but on much expensive machine. That 4 drums are about 2500 €.

P.S. Don't expect to triple the life with colour drum.
At best you may reach double but that is financially the same because colour are twice the price of black one.
It's about details what suits you more.

Do the PM (or call the techincian to do it) at least 30k to get better results.

Custom Search