PDA

View Full Version : Why can some computers use the name for SMB while others need the IP

Custom Search

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 12:01 AM
I could never figure it out. I was setting up a Konica Minolta to scan. Two machines in the same office. One I was able to use the computer name (preferred) and the other I had to use to IP. Is there a setting in the computer I need to change? I looked at the hosts file but it looked the same on both machines.

Phil B.
02-25-2021, 12:05 AM
I could never figure it out. I was setting up a Konica Minolta to scan. Two machines in the same office. One I was able to use the computer name (preferred) and the other I had to use to IP. Is there a setting in the computer I need to change? I looked at the hosts file but it looked the same on both machines.

what OS on each puter?

are they on the same ip scheme?

what are the settings for each one of the copiers?

little info given.

blackcat4866
02-25-2021, 12:09 AM
Maybe someone will correct me on this, but I have always assumed that issues with host name resolution originate at the DNS server. =^..^=

Santander
02-25-2021, 12:30 AM

Are both machines on the same IP segment? Just because they are in the same office does not mean they are on the same segment or the same router. Using the computer name requires that a DNS server has the computer name mapped to an IP address. You could also experience a problem using the computer name if the domain name is not registered in the machine and does not send the computer name to the domain DNS server. Are both machines the same model?
A couple of questions:
1. Are both computers running the same version of the OS?
2. Is network discovery enabled on both computers?
3. Are both computers set to private network? A computer set to public will not allow a connection as it is not discoverable on the network but will work with the IP address.
4. Are both machines running the latest firmware? Recent changes in Windows updates have changed the SMB protocol so older versions of firmware do not work.
5. What SMB protocol version is enabled on each unit? SMB v1 will not work on later windows systems.
Hope this helps in getting started in the right direction.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. My original post looked as though it was 2 copiers. It is one copier, a c3850 that will scan SMB 2.0. The computers in question are a Dell and an HP. They are both windows 10. I don't know what version of 10 they are running. I'm assuming the copier is configured properly since one computer will receive scans using the name. I have another customer with the same scenario. One copier, some machines (windows 10) will scan using the name while others can't. They are on the same network. With this customer I was able to get into the router and configure a DHCP reservation for the computer. More times then not the customer does not have the password to the router so I can't get in there to give the computer a static DHCP reservation.

rrrohan
02-25-2021, 01:42 AM
is LLMNR enabled on the copier?

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 01:56 AM
Not sure. I can check that next time I'm there. I checked my personal c3850 and it is enabled. I'm thinking it is enabled by default.

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 02:23 AM
Maybe someone will correct me on this, but I have always assumed that issues with host name resolution originate at the DNS server. =^..^=

That's where he needs to start. I'd do a NSLOOKUP followed by followed by the IP address of the copier. Exp.: NSLOOKUP 192.162.1.150.

If everything is working correctly, it should return the IP address of the copier and the hostname.

bsm2
02-25-2021, 02:27 AM
You can try and disable ipv6 on the nic of the PC than it will only use ipv4

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 02:32 AM
I'll check those things.

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 02:46 AM
You can also try to flush DNS.

ipconfig/flushdns

slimslob
02-25-2021, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the responses. My original post looked as though it was 2 copiers. It is one copier, a c3850 that will scan SMB 2.0. The computers in question are a Dell and an HP. They are both windows 10. I don't know what version of 10 they are running. I'm assuming the copier is configured properly since one computer will receive scans using the name. I have another customer with the same scenario. One copier, some machines (windows 10) will scan using the name while others can't. They are on the same network. With this customer I was able to get into the router and configure a DHCP reservation for the computer. More times then not the customer does not have the password to the router so I can't get in there to give the computer a static DHCP reservation.

NetBios name resolution is based on Workgroup/Domain membership and primary DNS. Check those settings on the computer that you can scan to using its name and change the other to match.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 03:16 AM
NetBios name resolution is based on Workgroup/Domain membership and primary DNS. Check those settings on the computer that you can scan to using its name and change the other to match.
Where would I look to find those settings?

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 03:18 AM
This particular network is a WORKGROUP

Phil B.
02-25-2021, 03:20 AM
This particular network is a WORKGROUP

that info should have been shared about 15 messages ago.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 03:21 AM
that info should have been shared about 15 messages ago.
You're right. My apologies

slimslob
02-25-2021, 03:38 AM
Where would I look to find those settings?

Workgroup name can be found in Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - System
DNS can be found in adapter status

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 03:54 AM
Workgroup name can be found in Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - System
DNS can be found in adapter status

I remember how that used to confuse the hell out of me when I was learning this stuff. :D

In his case (if I'm understanding correctly) the router is the DNS server. If it were me, the first thing I'd do is ping the hostname of the copier or do a NSLOOKUP. If the hostname isn't being resolved then he can investigate further.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 04:06 AM
I'll check those things.

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 04:08 AM
I'll check those things.

Not long ago, I didn't understand what "resolve" a host name meant. Do you understand how that works?

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 04:22 AM
The basics. I'll need to go the customer with the IP address instead of computer name for scanning to check some settings.

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 04:48 AM
Here's some notes I kept from the networking thread. Adding the IP address of the copier in the host file is kind of a pain in the ass, but it works every time regardless of the DNS server.

EDIT: I recommend this as a last resort because it could cause a problem if/when the copier is removed from the network. That IP address will be permanently resolved to the hostname of the copier until it's deleted from the host file.

rrrohan
02-25-2021, 05:07 AM
Can U edit host file on Macintosh?

I always struggle to navigate and troubleshoot MacOS

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 05:11 AM
Can U edit host file on Macintosh?

I always struggle to navigate and troubleshoot MacOS

Yes you can edit the host file on a Mac. I've never done it but I know that you can.

skynet
02-25-2021, 07:56 AM
Launch Terminal
Type sudo nano /etc/hosts and press Return
Enter your admin password

nano is command line text editor you might want to try the gui app textedit as it comes with macos as standard.

Make a backup first.

Bix
02-25-2021, 11:25 AM
Hi, it's usually a Workgroup problem. But it could also be Windows with security settings. In other cases, be sure to set "Private Network" and not "Public Network". This allowed me to solve many problems on Windows 10.
If I don't solve it, I will set a static address on the computer if possible.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 01:34 PM
EDIT: I recommend this as a last resort because it could cause a problem if/when the copier is removed from the network. That IP address will be permanently resolved to the hostname of the copier until it's deleted from the host file.

I'll try that, thanks. It is an issue I've been dealing with on and off for years. I don't mind deleting the information in the hosts file if the copier is replaced down the road if this works. I'll also to check to see if it is private network.

emujo2
02-25-2021, 01:43 PM
If all of the network pre-reqs are configured correctly..

TCP/IP (IP/Subnet/gateway)
DNS server (s)
Domain name (if required)

Your MFP should be able to resolve a host name. You can always try a ping (try both IP and Host Name)..this is using a different protocol to communicate with the remote node, but should verify connectivity.

Add a global DNS server if possible, 8.8.8.8. that ISP provided router may not do either job (router/DNS server) well
Another thing to remember, at least in KM world , Host Names are case sensitive..Your laptop may be able to see suzycomputor1, but the MFP needs to read SuzyComputor1. KMs have the ability to browse back out across the network..This can be a useful tool when you can see 9 out of 10 Host Names, and the customer is blaming the machine because it can't see the 10th. I've been out of the network side team for a little while now, but I absolutely loved a mystery..And nothing put a bigger smile on my face than proof that my machine was working just as it should..E

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 02:08 PM

I'll try that, thanks. It is an issue I've been dealing with on and off for years. I don't mind deleting the information in the hosts file if the copier is replaced down the road if this works. I'll also to check to see if it is private network.

Before you attempt to make an entry in the host file, I highly recommend that you try to get things working as they should be. You haven't demonstrated that you've covered the basics. Before you do anything, do this:

1. Ping the hostname of the copier. Or run NSLOOKUP followed by the IP address of the copier.

To run NSLOOKUP, go to command prompt and type in NSLOOKUP followed by the IP address of the copier. Example: NSLOOKUP 192.168.1.154. It should return with the host name of the copier. If not, DNS is not set up correctly or there's another problem. With a little patience and troubleshooting, you'll find the problem. It's not that difficult.

A lot of good advice has been given in this thread. Make sure network is set to private. Make sure file sharing in on, ect., ect.

Let us know if you can ping the hostname of the copier or the results from NSLOOKUP. First things first. Good luck.

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 02:48 PM
Thanks

adecanmin
02-25-2021, 02:54 PM
I have some customers with older machines that I use FTP. A have a handful that I can use the hostname but most is IP. I'll use these recommendations to hopefully resolve this as well.

slimslob
02-25-2021, 05:28 PM

One huge problem with trying to edit the computer's hosts file. It does nothing to help the copier find the computer. Now if there is a hosts file on the copier and if you can edit it.....

BillyCarpenter
02-25-2021, 06:30 PM
One huge problem with trying to edit the computer's hosts file. It does nothing to help the copier find the computer. Now if there is a hosts file on the copier and if you can edit it.....

You're right. It's not gonna do a thing to help the copier find the PC. From my understanding, he's having no problem with communication between the PC and copier as long as he's using the IP address. The problem is when he tries to use the hostname that he loses communication.

If I remember correctly, and I think I do, when an entry is made in the host file for the PC with the copier's IP address, the PC will look there first before trying to look at DNS cache or router.

The problem with that is, if the host name is ever changed, the PC will still link that IP address to the old host name. I did this by accident when I was playing around with it.

slimslob
02-25-2021, 06:59 PM
You're right. It's not gonna do a thing to help the copier find the PC. From my understanding, he's having no problem with ommunication between the PC and copier as long as he's using the IP address The problem is when he tries to use the hostname that he loses communication.

If I remember correctly, and I think I do, when an entry is made in the host file for the PC with the copier's IP address, the PC will look there first before trying to look at DNS cache or router.

The problem with that is, if the host name is ever changed, the PC will still link that IP address to the old host name. I did this by accident when I was playing around with it.

Another problem is when the network itself is changed. I have had instances where the customer has changed their ISP or had to replace cable/dsl modem. If they are using the modem for DHCP then the entire local network can change. Like from 192.168.1.xxx to maybe 192.168.3.xxx or maybe even to a different class of network.

bsm2
02-25-2021, 07:02 PM
Wrong information as ALWAYS
Basic networking
Hostname Resolution refers to the process through which an assigned hostname is converted or resolved to its mapped IP Address so that networked hosts can communicate with each other.

slimslob
02-26-2021, 01:52 AM
Wrong information as ALWAYS
Basic networking
Hostname Resolution refers to the process through which an assigned hostname is converted or resolved to its mapped IP Address so that networked hosts can communicate with each other.

And in the case of scan to SMB is accomplished through DNS

rrrohan
02-26-2021, 03:20 AM
Add a global DNS server if possible, 8.8.8.8.

External DNS will do nothing to help resolve local network host names

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BillyCarpenter
02-26-2021, 03:24 AM
External DNS will do nothing to help resolve local network host names

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

This is true. External DNS deals with the internet. A local DNS resolver has to do the the Intranet.

adecanmin
03-03-2021, 01:47 PM
I went to a c3850 the other day I could not get it to scan smb 2.0 using the computer name in a workgroup for the longest time. I tried using the name this time and now it works. I did nothing to the computer aside from using the name. I had another that was on a public network and it worked using the computer name. I'm gathering there is no definitive answer as to why some can scan using the name while others need an IP in the same office. I'll keep looking for a solution.

emujo2
03-03-2021, 03:03 PM
Some times the answer is poor network mgmnt due to a lack of or little care about the network. When Joe from the church is the "network' guy, you can bet he's going to blame the machine. These guys will add equipment, change routers and ISP without any regard to the problems they will induce..Then they expect the copier repair guy to work it out. Sometimes you just want to say..use the scan to usb thumb drive, I'm done with you. E

adecanmin
03-03-2021, 05:52 PM
Some times the answer is poor network mgmnt due to a lack of or little care about the network. When Joe from the church is the "network' guy, you can bet he's going to blame the machine. These guys will add equipment, change routers and ISP without any regard to the problems they will induce..Then they expect the copier repair guy to work it out. Sometimes you just want to say..use the scan to usb thumb drive, I'm done with you. E
That is true.

Custom Search