PDA

View Full Version : I series and evelopes

Custom Search

emujo2
02-25-2021, 05:58 PM
KM in all of its wisdom has decided to put in the user manual that Tray 1 can now feed up to 70 envelopes versus the 20 or so you can run from the bypass tray..Of course on more that a few I series (405I seems to be the worst) envelopes will just not feed..I have 4 in this office, 2 work 2 don't, settings are exactly the same, and print jobs are sent exactly the same. Copy counts are below 2-3K so no parts life issues. I thought the guides might be a little too tight...when you pull the tray the envelopes stay in the up position., but on the 2 that work the envelopes are in the same position when you pull the trays out.. So now I've got pissed customers demanding my techs repair (not broken IMHO) these trays or replace the machines. Why they(KM) couldn't just leave things alone and continue using the bypass tray is beyond me..Anyone seeing this issue? There is a special piece that gets inserted for envelopes as well. What a joke. E

tsbservice
02-25-2021, 07:15 PM
What model you're exactly talking about? 405I is unknown to me.

blackcat4866
02-25-2021, 07:23 PM
Are you referring to the bizhub 4050i ... Lexmark rebadge? I can't imagine how one of these could feed envelopes at all, let alone 70 from tray #1.

AFAIK there is no separation adjustment, and the paper path turns are so tight I just don't see it happening.
=^..^=

emujo2
02-25-2021, 07:39 PM
sorry gents..i guess I need new glasses..1st, it's envelopes, and these are 450is. E

blackcat4866
02-25-2021, 07:42 PM
There are several obstacles to overcome with envelopes.

First its 2 and more layers of paper, so you must decrease the page separation to let them through.

Second, depending on the individual envelopes, they fill with air, pressed down in the center by the pickup tires, and raising up like wings at the front and rear. On a Sharp Tiger I had some success making a wider upper guide to help the envelopes into the first set of vertical rollers. Less envelopes always feed better than more envelopes.

Then there's the custom paper size issue.

The machines claiming to be envelope printers advance envelopes on a conveyer belt, staggered ~6mm apart, so you're not dealing with either of the frst two issues. The pickup is taking only one envelope off the conveyor at a time.

Plus if they actually do volumes of envelopes, you'll get premature edge wear at 4 1/8". Your drum and fuser will make about 30% yield at best.

Most laser based copiers just aren't set up properly for envelopes. =^..^=

tsbservice
02-25-2021, 08:04 PM
sorry gents..i guess I need new glasses..1st, it's envelopes, and these are 450is. E

So in case of bizhub C450i it's 10 envelopes(bypass) vs 70(tray) no wonder why customers prefer tray.
Other than that it's really hit and miss like BC said with envelopes. Your customers should be warned versus using large amounts of envelopes that any damages on transfer belt, fuser or drums due to improper using of envelopes may be billable.

emujo2
02-25-2021, 09:07 PM
There are several obstacles to overcome with envelopes.

First its 2 and more layers of paper, so you must decrease the page separation to let them through.

Second, depending on the individual envelopes, they fill with air, pressed down in the center by the pickup tires, and raising up like wings at the front and rear. On a Sharp Tiger I had some success making a wider upper guide to help the envelopes into the first set of vertical rollers. Less envelopes always feed better than more envelopes.

Then there's the custom paper size issue.

The machines claiming to be envelope printers advance envelopes on a conveyer belt, staggered ~6mm apart, so you're not dealing with either of the frst two issues. The pickup is taking only one envelope off the conveyor at a time.

Plus if they actually do volumes of envelopes, you'll get premature edge wear at 4 1/8". Your drum and fuser will make about 30% yield at best.

Most laser based copiers just aren't set up properly for envelopes. =^..^=

I agree 100%..but the KM user guide does not mention making any changes to the feed/sep rollers (nor are there any customer adjustments present) it simply says you can put up to 70 envelopes in tray 1..These folks have even cut it down to 20-25 and still not even 1 will feed on the 2 that do not work, the other 2 will feed the entire 70..I guess the next step will be swapping trays and feed sections around to see if the issue moves..So far it's just been sales nagging me to send a tech, the customer has not placed a call. E

Custom Search