PDA

View Full Version : C364e or C368?

Custom Search

Hansoon
03-04-2021, 06:40 PM
I want to go to the next generation of used machines for my MFP rental business. What would you advise or prefer, the C364e or the C368?

Hans

allan
03-04-2021, 07:12 PM
For the same reason I preferred the C360 for so long. Firmware and drivers are stable thru years of trail and error. I would choose the 4 series instead of the 8 series mainly due to the contact charge rollers.

tsbservice
03-04-2021, 07:43 PM
I like them both. Like allan said drums are big advantage of 4e series, just make sure they're on right firmware level.

copier tech
03-04-2021, 08:00 PM
For the same reason I preferred the C360 for so long. Firmware and drivers are stable thru years of trail and error. I would choose the 4 series instead of the 8 series mainly due to the contact charge rollers.

Weigh up the price difference between the two take into account the IU costs. The 4e is a old model, now starting to have MFP & HDD failing.

I would choose the 8 series, the are basically an updated version of the 4e.

allan
03-04-2021, 09:03 PM
Weigh up the price difference between the two take into account the IU costs. The 4e is a old model, now starting to have MFP & HDD failing.

I would choose the 8 series, the are basically an updated version of the 4e.

Yea I don't know if the physical electronic prints and components are still as solid as with the older machines. A lady brought a C360 to our home based shop. She had the machine in her backyard under a tree for about 3 years. She did not know what to do with it an asked us if we will take it of her hands. After about another 3 weeks passed i decided to have a look at the machine. It was complete with all the units in place. I switched it on it asked for paper and the very first demo page printed and looked ok almost good! These machines are seriously tough.

Sorry end of side track.

3de party parts and consumables for the 4 series are available and cheap. Some of the 8 series stuff have not been released yet.

emujo2
03-04-2021, 09:16 PM
If future technolgy is a factor in your decision, then the 8 series is the answer. Not to mention the e series reach end of life starting in 2023..I don't think you find common supplies and parts after this date. E

allan
03-04-2021, 09:42 PM
If future technolgy is a factor in your decision, then the 8 series is the answer. Not to mention the e series reach end of life starting in 2023..I don't think you find common supplies and parts after this date. E

Yes true. In most cases the customer just want a functional printer, scanner and copier. Its easy to get secondhand/used machines back out on SLA. Its profitable and low risk. Lets say you do nothing longer than a 3 year SLA that would then end from 2024 to 2026. Nice thing about limiting the models you put out is you can horde a bit on the common parts. With some luck you will be able to get old stock past the EOL date.

It all depends on how Hans runs his business. This is more for the indy guys out there. Not practical for dealerships to push old machines for to long.

Synthohol
03-04-2021, 10:43 PM
for being designated rentals, id go with the 8 series because they are more compliant with todays security requirements right out of the box.
this makes it an easier fit to some networks and scanning.
i mean i like the 4 series i guess because im so used to them, like the old EP1080\2080 back in the day.
but for your needs i believe the 8s are the way to go.

Bix
03-05-2021, 08:25 AM
It depends on which customers you want to manage. If your customers are schools, churches, small companies that use the printer only for printing and not much for scans or other, I suggest the 4 / 4e series. If you buy them in good condition, all consumables have double their life and you will have the maximum profit.
You try not to make contracts for 5 years but contracts for 1-2 years. This is because you will be able to evaluate how to continue your business if the pieces stop being produced. The cut-off date is set for 2023 but usually the pieces remain for many other years (warehouse residues).

Series 8 I recommend it for everything. In terms of security, I am still at a good pace for now. The consumables adhere to the information provided by the manufacturer, so if Konica Minolta tells you that a drum lasts 80k, the drum won't last any longer. Indeed, it usually expires at 70%.

I do not recommend the 8e series. I have had many printers with fusers failing at 40-50%, plus the problem of drums that expire sooner.

CP-1015
03-05-2021, 09:51 AM
I would choose the 4 series instead of the 8 series mainly due to the contact charge rollers.

The charge rollers are not really defect. The "foam" rollers (I don't know if it is the correct name) you could buy by Katun.

avecosat
03-05-2021, 11:24 AM
I think like Allan the C360 series for rent is the best even if it costs to find one in good condition

EarthKmTech
03-05-2021, 11:55 AM
8 series all the way.

I roll my eyes every time i see a job for an e series nowadays because its never simple. It’s always going to be seconds from disaster and have multiple other issues. They are old machines now you can expect to start having battery failure on the mfp boards, it’s already happening regularly in cold climates. You can also expect costly cyan developing unit failures on the 45 and 55ppm e series when regularly printing colour unless a) the suction ports are vacuumed at every call on both the machine and dev units, b) the toner filter is cleaned or replaced at every call and c) cyan tcr value is set to -2

after the abuse ive seen first hand the 8 series endure at filthy mine sites, i’m happy to deal with drums not quite lasting life, they are basically bullet proof machines

Gift
03-05-2021, 01:42 PM
I prefer the 4e series engine but he 8series comes with a better controller and probably less potential compatibility issues at a foreseeable future. We mostly sell C308 2nd hand and a few C284e every now and then. We notice that the batteries starts failing in the C284e series so you might consider to solder a new one before re-selling. Solder it parallel to the old one. After the "bypass" is completed you can cut out the old battery without any data loss.

Custom Search